As an aside, apart from the “anti-abortion” part, the Post and Courier provided a fair and balanced intro to this October 3 story:

Charleston – For the past 11 days, anti-abortion demonstrators have gathered at the Charleston Women’s Medical Center… as part of the annual “40 Days for Life” movement against abortion, each of them signing a “statement of peace” before participating.

Police say the protest met a threat Saturday morning when an out-of-state abortion doctor flashed a gun at them.

Police arrested Gary Boyle [pictured left], 62, a Blountville, TN, physician, on charges of pointing a firearm.

Boyle drove into the parking lot of the clinic… at around 8:30 a.m. When 3 protesters, including a 17-yr-old boy, approached him, Boyle brandished a black handgun loaded with 15 rounds, according to a police report.

Boyle then stepped out of his SUV and walked into the clinic without further incident, the report says. One of the 3 protesters, 50-year-old John Karafa, called 911.

“We were like, ‘Well, that was a gun,’ ” Karafa said. “You can’t do that.”

Boyle appeared by video conference at a bond hearing Saturday afternoon dressed in a light yellow button-down shirt…. Magistrate Priscilla Baldwin set his bail at $25,000, which he posted later Saturday.

Whether Boyle performed abortions locally is not known. He and another physician operate the Bristol Regional Women’s Center near his TN home….

The incident wasn’t the doctor’s first legal snag.

He and his partner operated their clinic without a required certificate of need from the TN Health Dept. for several years in the 1990s, and the health department tried to shut them down, according to court filings.

The dispute dragged on for years until 2002, when an appeals judge ruled that the state statute requiring the certificate had violated a woman’s right to privacy.

Well, of course Boyle was there to commit abortions. He certainly didn’t come to the abortion mill for tea. More from the National Catholic Register:

One protester who asked not to be named… said he and 2 others went behind the clinic and stood in the parking lot in expectation of the arrival of the abortionist.

He said they never know which abortionist will come to the clinic as there are 3 or 4 abortionists who alternate duties each week and Boyle had come in from out of state on other occasions but the pro-lifers never had any interaction with him.

“As he pulled into the clinic yesterday he had a gun pointed at us. He had his gun at the window,” he said. “I think he showed the gun to intimidate us. But the guy has no respect for life. He’s been killing babies for 25-30 years. Who’s to know he wouldn’t have pulled the trigger and said we provoked it?”

The pro-lifer said that he was most pleased that the clinic “essentially had to shut down” after Boyle, the abortionist, was arrested. He said he hoped that maybe some women who were considering abortion and couldn’t get one would perhaps reconsider.  He said that would be one good thing to come out of this situation.

Yes, hopefully true. According to

The Charleston Women’s Medical Center is SC’s largest abortion center, performing 2,550 abortions in 2008, and nearly 55,000 between 1988 and 2008, according to Columbia Christians for Life.

[HT: Columbia Christians for Life; reader Carlos H.]

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...