What's wrong with these pictures?

On the anniversary of Roe v. Wade, a local newspaper refused to run any of the three following ads to be paid for by Will County Right to Life in Illinois. The newspaper's ad department stated they were too "graphic." Since when are ultrasounds "graphic"? In fact, these ultrasound photos are beautiful. Parents proudly display them on their refrigerators, for goodness sakes.

What's wrong with these pictures? Why is the mainstream media censoring the truth about preborn babies?

My thanks to all who have alerted me that their comments were blocked on this post. It appears I have an overexuberant spam blocker, which I am working to correct.

I will post next those comments that you sent me - when you wondered what in the world you said that was out of line! The time/date that commenters originally attempted to post won't be correct.

I think we're ok now, btw, if new commenters want to post.

Posted by: Jill Stanek at February 5, 2006 10:50 AM

This is CRAZY! These ARE beautiful pictures, and it's obvious that they could only want to hide the truth! I can't wait til the truth comes out about HOW MUCH abortion destroys WOMEN! WE DESERVE SO MUCH MORE!

Posted by: Grace at February 5, 2006 10:52 AM

Those were awesome ads. I see NOTHING graphic about them what so ever!

Maybe they didn't know what they were looking at. Maybe they thought that they were looking at discarded embryos/tissue. Maybe they didn't know the difference. Oops... that would be admitting that this was a human being right?

I was just looking on Illinoisbloggers.com and saw your article. I just posted one myself on Plan B and RU-486 you might be interested in looking at.

The URL is http://xbip.com/?p=572

Posted by: Lisa at February 5, 2006 10:55 AM

The pictures are beautiful. The problem is cowardice and prejudice on the part of the paper. But that's where most of the media is these days, so it's not surprising.

Posted by: John at February 5, 2006 10:57 AM

Well, I think they mean that it's a graphic that's just too powerful for people... even seeing the 5/6-week ultrasound when I got pregnant for the first time was a shock -- my daughter was the size of a pinto bean, but I could see a pumping heart. Doesn't seem much like a "blob of tissue" we keep hearing about.

Posted by: mp at February 5, 2006 11:00 AM

Thank you for posting these 3 marvelous pro-life ads. Wish I knew who had copyright. Will link to your page.

We need a National Week of Grieving for the Unborn Millions who have been slaughtered, sackcloth and ashes, fasting, Masses in atonement for the sacrilege of even 1 child aborted times 55,000,000 plus countless millions more aborted by abortifacient "birth control" (which is not "conception prevention", nor is it open to God's plans for proceation). Mary Kathryn, hermit

"It is you I desire, O Justice and Innocence, beautiful and comely in full light, satisfying but never tiring. Great peace is with you, as is untroubled life." St. Augustine of Hippo -- Confessions 2, 10

"We can do no great things -- only small things with great love." Mother Teresa

Posted by: Kathryn at February 5, 2006 11:07 AM

Your ads are great, But I live with one - ok two - better ones each and every day of my life. The doctors told me and my wife to get rid of our first child at mid term, that she would be born into the world so wrong. Well, they may have been right, but the power of prayer healed my daughter, and she was born perfectly healthy. Praise the Lord and all of His works, both of my daughters are healthy, and I thank God for them each day of my life. I guess it all started with my own birth, to which my own mother almost lost me too!

Posted by: Chuck at February 5, 2006 12:44 PM

And they accuse us of unwillingness to face realities. Jesus said something about people who have eyes, but will not see...

Posted by: Fr. Phil Bloom at February 5, 2006 4:38 PM

Jill, these are beautiful! Thank you so very much for posting them -- and God bless the pro-life people who had the imagination and skill to create them.

Posted by: Laura at February 6, 2006 6:59 AM

Are these images okay to copy and disseminate? They are terrific.

Regarding the "too graphic" refusal to publish: I can't help but think that evil, once pursued, becomes a form of madness. We lose our ability to see reality. Is this what happened to Pharoah? Did he bome so consumed by his self-constructed image of the world that he couldn't see what was in front of him?

Posted by: The Waffling Anglican at February 6, 2006 12:09 PM

Dear Waffling, These ads and others are available from National Right to Life at: www.nrlc.org/onlinebrochures/Downloadables/Ads.htm.

Posted by: Jill Stanek at February 6, 2006 12:53 PM

These really are superb ... thanks, Jill

Posted by: John McDonell at February 6, 2006 4:29 PM

I think the ads -- especially the "tissue" one -- put it pretty well. My only concern is that by focusing on how a fetus "looks human" we give the other side more ammunition for when the embryo "doesn't look human." It should be stressed that I was just as much a human being when I was a blastocyst as when I was an embryo as I am today, and that this is a scientific truth, not a religious opinion.

Posted by: bmmg39 at February 6, 2006 4:44 PM

This is well done. Don't give up, because the pro abortion lobby will never admit to the beauty of protecting life iat its most vulnerable time

Posted by: John Heesh at February 6, 2006 10:10 PM

bmmg makes a good point when he comments on the danger of concentrating on the developmental characteristics of the fetus. However, they provide an entry point for discussion, dispel outrageous myths and put a face on the child....

Posted by: tim at February 6, 2006 11:25 PM

Might I suggest doing a textual search of the ads for the paper and see if they have done any print ads for 3-D sonograph imaging or call the local companies that provide that service and see if they have any print ads out. If they have you can show bias. I know I've seen them in my (pro-abort) local paper.

Posted by: Nick at February 7, 2006 3:32 PM

I've submitted a consumer complaint to "The Fixer", who writes for the Herald Sun about fixing consumer complaints. I'm hoping that at least it will spark a spirited discussion of the censorship issue at the paper. Chances are that this decision was made at a low level, and that the harsh light of public attention provided by the CNS News article will float this issue right up to the top.

Good luck in ALL your efforts. May Many be saved, and Many be Saved.

PS. My primary e-mail is bob dot kellum at gee mail period com. Your e-mail address box apparently will not accept a human-only readable email address.

Terry Kellum,
Systems Analyst,
Terre Haute, IN

Posted by: Terry Kellum at February 9, 2006 10:26 AM

Jill, give me a shout next time something like this happens. I would have loved to have covered it for you. We do have a story on it now, visit www.LifeNews.com.

Posted by: Steven Ertelt at February 9, 2006 10:53 AM

I think that Steve Vanisko of the Herald News in Joliet, IL meant that the ultrasound pictures were too human, not too graphic. Baby pictures are only graphic when the baby is mangled, dismembered, poisoned, or beheaded.

Posted by: Ray Parker at February 9, 2006 1:26 PM

They are only graphic in the sense in that they graphically illustrate how wrong the anti-life crowd is when they try to de-personalize the pre-born.

Cockroaches hate it when light shines upon them.

Posted by: Psycmeistr at February 9, 2006 1:46 PM

I think the ads are wonderful and POO on the paper for losing their spine and vascellating and not printing them. Of course, as someone else posted, if they were gory photos of an auto crash or a murder scene, they might be posted.

He're an example where a fetus was used before in a HUGE way - both in film and in advertising as Starchild in Stanley Kubriks' 2001: A Space Odyssey. See:

Good luck in all your efforts.

Posted by: Marcia H. Lemmon at February 9, 2006 1:50 PM

Nice ads, storie and comments. I intend to put a link to this page if its alright with you. Keep up the good work.

Posted by: Clarke Nattress at February 9, 2006 7:12 PM

I have posted regarding this here.

Posted by: Psycmeistr at February 9, 2006 7:21 PM

Where are the unborn now? Defenseless when taken away
Without a choice, yet they still have a voice
Do you wonder where they are today? What would the unborn say?

From the womb by force I was taken
To a tomb where they buried my rights
I was a gift from God to my Momma
Until she was deceived by choice lies
Could be she felt I was inconvenient
Or confused of what was the truth
For whatever it's worth, or wherever you're at
Mommy, I still love you.

I'm still a part; I once shared your heart
After you had conceived
Inside I cried, please don't let me die
I'll be good you'll see
Oh then they came, I suffered the pain
So called experts denied
But God will forgive; we all have the right to live
Let the unborn child survive.

The days were few that we had together
I heard the A.C.L.U. on TV
But then I thought the truth really mattered
For the unborn eagles set free
Now I'm not alone, it's great here in Heaven
I've got a name, and a body a new
I long to see you one day, with the Lord we can stay
Mommy, I'm waiting for you.

I'm still a part; I once shared your heart
After you had conceived
Inside I cried, please don't let me die
I'll be good you'll see
Oh then they came, I suffered the pain
So called experts denied
But God will forgive; we all have the right to live
Let the unborn child survive.

Why worry about prenatal care, if a human isn't there,
Wont someone tell me why?

It's a child not a choice; it's a baby with no voice
There's a human in the womb, a different stage still yet to bloom
So why are all the innocent dying? Why, has all the millions been silenced?
Why, oh tell me why?
Why, when it's a child not a fetus? Why, do you think God doesn't see us?
Why, Oh, tell me why?
Why.. must the unborn die...?

It's a child, not a choice
There's a baby with no voice,
Let the unborn child "SURVIVE."

John D. Bennett II 1994

Posted by: John D. Bennett II at February 9, 2006 10:30 PM

The pictures are excellent, accurate and real. Too real for the pro-abortion advocates to want to have them published. With all of the commotion regarding freedom of press now days it seems the only ones to get "graphics" published are the cartoonists who seem to have no problem getting their works in the papers no matter who it may hurt or how much death and destruction it may incite.

Posted by: Annetta Dale at February 9, 2006 11:20 PM

Acting as webmaster for the French pro-life association Droit de Naitre I request permission to show the above pictures on our web site.
Thanks an regards

Pierre Lebegue

Posted by: Pierre Lebegue at February 10, 2006 5:14 AM

Absolutely beautiful pictures! Once again, the proaborts are getting silly in their efforts to kill Americans.

Posted by: Misty at February 10, 2006 6:56 AM

What we need is education in abortion prone areas. We also need financial support to get the prolife ads on television and radio 365 days a year, every year until the repetition of the truth overwhelms the pro-abortion advocates. Women need to know that they and they alone have been given the gift of motherhood. They should protect that right at all costs and let no one make them believe that it is ok to take their babies by abortion in any form.

Posted by: Sue at February 10, 2006 1:36 PM

WOW! This is amazing.This is life!
How could this be graphic?
Glorifying sex, murder and mayhem on the cover of magazines, newspapers and the news period are all graphic!

It's time to promote something more beautiful and positive as this!

Posted by: D.Harris at February 11, 2006 8:06 PM

Yes these ads are graphic. They are graphic reminders of what (or actually who) gets aborted.

Posted by: churchNstate at February 12, 2006 5:01 PM

I was thinking about Kathryn's post about having a National Week of Grieving for the Unborn Millions. What about wearing a 'black ribbon' or armband?

Posted by: Eileen T at February 12, 2006 6:23 PM

The ad is great! It's really unfortunate that so many people really know deep down in their soul that abortion is Murder and God forbids it. So they call it something else. Guess what! God isn't fooled.

Posted by: Nancy at February 14, 2006 12:48 PM

Thank you so much for these pictures, truly worth more than a thousand words! Keep up the good work!

God bless you!

Posted by: Don King at February 14, 2006 9:08 PM

We must be mindful that many who claim to be pro-choice have been 'given' their opinion by someone with their own agenda, and don't wish to be confused by facts.

Posted by: Larry at February 15, 2006 12:16 AM

God is no fool!

Posted by: Phil Schembri at February 15, 2006 11:08 PM

I would try submitting them daily. Perhaps by repeatedly taking it "before the ungodly judge" God will make them relent & allow them to be published.

Also, what are your legal rights against descrimination by this newspaper? You might want to contact the ACLJ to ask.

I am keeping you, your efforts, and the efforts of ALL ProLife activists in my prayers.

Love IN Christ,
Missy Paul
Mesa, AZ

Posted by: Missy at February 19, 2006 1:45 PM

I feel obligated to raise some possible faults in using images to further your argument against abortion. The bottom line is that because the photos are an obvious appeal to pity, they in no way can lead to the conclusion that abortion is undoubtedly wrong or that abortion should be made illegal. The fact that these photos insight pity towards the fetus in no way logically yields any conclusion besides that Abortion is gross. This is not to say that these photos have no place in furthering your cause, because I believe that they do. I am simply saying that they should not be what is holding the weight in your argument. I understand that these pictures are changing people's views on abortion, and this is why I think that they are helpful. But I also think that they are only changing the minds of those who previously did not understand the abortion process or simply chose to ignore it. So what do we do about the people who have seen the pictures, understand the process, accept the brutality of it, and hold true to their pro-choice views? From what I have read, these people usually have pretty rational justifications for being pro-choice. It is my belief that these are the people that you should be spending more of your precious time and energy with if you are going to make a serious impact on the views and the laws of our country. This will require not more images, but better thinking and more persuasive arguments that don't appeal to a person�s pity.

Posted by: Sean Kredel at April 26, 2006 12:16 PM

Sounds good to me. Ill tell you later what theyre like on a rainy afternoon in a London park.

Posted by: INSULIN at May 25, 2006 1:35 PM

You can read the first part of how I met NE here.

Posted by: TYSABRI at May 25, 2006 4:25 PM