Aurora City Council meeting last night

First, my new friend Jeff at Chicago Pro-Life Activist is preparing a video/photo montage of last night he'll get to us asap. I'll post a few photos now to give you a sense.

Eric Scheidler warned in email updates he had heard Planned Parenthood Chicago CEO Steve Trombley requested (ordered?) Chicago PP personnel to show for this meeting, and they did. Here is the scene that greeted us....

PP%201.jpg
PP%202.jpg

This is my favorite photo from last night, perhaps my favorite ever of Joe Scheidler:

PP%203.jpg

Security was tighter, about double the police as were at the August 28 meeting. No overflow crowd this time. People were only allowed up as seats became available.

But while pro-aborts dominated the view outside, inside the ratio was about 2:1 pro-lifers to pro-aborts.

After he complained about the blogs... :), Mayor Weisner read a letter he sent to Trombley that I'm trying to get my hands on. The jist: Do not plan on opening your clinic September 18.

The two aldermen responsible for garnering the independent counsel to evaluate whether PP committed fraud against the city reported he started doing so this week.

One of those two, Alderman Richard Irvin (on our side) read a statement that the City Council's role in this entire matter was not to determine the morality of abortion but whether PP committed fraud. Because of this, he said, he motioned to limit comments to three hours, which was amended to allow Aurora residents to speak first. The motion passed. This worked in our favor, because the bulk of Aurora commenters were pro-life.

There is a brand new wrinkle. Pro-lifers are now pushing for the City Council to pass a parental notification ordinance. Indeed, pro-life attorney Vince Tessitore (featured on the Hannity show) has submitted language to the Council. What a major hoot.

Pro-abort commenters were against that, of course. They also made a few jaw-dropping remarks on abortion, etc., which Jeff will chronicle in his montage.

I spotted the elusive Trombley outside with his ilk. He didn't go upstairs. Donald Trump would have marched in and defended himself, but not so this CEO. For a guy who makes nearly $300,000 a year I'm not impressed. I still wonder if his stupendous gaffe to the Tribune - "Frankly, I'm surprised we were able to keep it a secret for so long" - won't end up his undoing.

PP%204.jpg

Many commenters dwelt on the deception talking point, which is our strongest. Frankly, had PP come in to Aurora following the rules, it would have still incurred all this opposition but maintained substantial legal footing to barge in anyway. But its deception has lost that.

Commenters were also angry, as I predicted, that PP has now insinuated they are violent. One commenter told officials, "Does this look violent to you? This is what I do." And she marched back and forth in front of the podium with her rosary beads. She talked another minute and said again, "Again, does this look violent to you? This is what I do." And did it again. It was very funny. Jeff will show that video clip, I'm sure.

Eric Scheidler gave quite the impassioned speech about PP's accusation that his father Joe advocates violence, providing a three-minute history of the 17-year NOW vs. Scheidler lawsuit and its outcome. It was excellent.

Ok, that's my report. Over and out. I've been getting emails from others at the meeting. I encourage them to add their thoughts.

Addendum, 10:55a: The comment receiving the most applause was by a woman who encouraged the Council to hold its ground, and if and when PP sued Aurora, she and others would help pay legal fees. I know that absolutely to be true. The City would get donations and legal help from pro-lifers all over the country.

Comments:

Amazing! Thanks Jill!

Posted by: Phil at September 12, 2007 10:43 AM

Phil, thank you for covering this. I'm working on getting that World mag article up, fyi.

Posted by: Jill Stanek at September 12, 2007 10:45 AM

"Addendum, 10:40a: ABC and NBC were there. All the pro-abort protesters outside left when they did, as did most inside."

I don't get this. When ABC and NBC arrived the pro-abort protesters left. Maybe I am not reading it correctly. It reads like they left because ABC and NBC showed up. Like they were ashamed to be on the pro-abort side. Is that right?

Posted by: Joe at September 12, 2007 11:04 AM

No, it means that when NBC and ABC left so did the Pro-Abort protestors...basically they only stayed as long as there was someone filming them or noting their presence. As soon as that ended they left...

I also find it interesting that it seemed like a lot of the Pro-Abort protestors, especially the younger ones, were using their signs to cover their faces...

Posted by: sam at September 12, 2007 11:12 AM

Posted by: jasper at September 12, 2007 11:21 AM

It's relieving that people are catching on to PP. I was a former employee of a PP in Upstate NY and have been trying for years to tell some things I know, but no one will listen. Keep it up.

Posted by: Marc at September 12, 2007 11:33 AM

This is all truly amazing. Because they are so desperate, PP and anti-life activists are flailing, but they are only making themselves look worse and worse. The Holy Spirit is truly acting powerfully in our nation TODAY.

Eric Scheidler and the good folks in Aurora were pushed by PP into beginning a 40 Days for Life campaign they hadn't even planned for, and now they're getting national news coverage while the rest of the country prepares for 90 or more similar campaigns AT THE SAME TIME this fall!

With all the attention Aurora is getting, what local news agency wouldn't want to cover their own local 40 day pro-life prayer vigil?

Posted by: Joe at September 12, 2007 11:47 AM

"No, it means that when NBC and ABC left so did the Pro-Abort protestors..."

Ah... That makes more sense... I don't know what was wrong with my brain. I read it again and am not sure how I missed that... Oh well.

Posted by: Joe K. at September 12, 2007 12:05 PM

Marc,
Please come back!!! I would like to know as I am sure all of us would, what you have to say about PP.

Posted by: Sandy at September 12, 2007 12:21 PM

Marc -

We're listening.

Joe K. -

I had to read that several times myself. I originally thought the same thing you did.

Posted by: valerie at September 12, 2007 12:36 PM

Marc -

Where in upstate NY? I used to live in Albany and was involved with the movement up there. We can get you in contact with the right people to talk to.

Posted by: Phil at September 12, 2007 1:43 PM

I watched a replay of Chaneel 7 news at 1:00 am and it was a short piece. It seemed balanced to me. It showed the PP people outside and also signs from us. Our yellow and black sure out-shouts the pink.
I was in the clip too, in my wheelchair.

Posted by: Diane at September 12, 2007 1:45 PM

That sounds like some really good news. Hope there is a final word soon that comes out stating in no uncertain terms that PP can't operate there.

The parental consent law is really evil though. Never ever support laws that end with "...and then you can kill the baby." Those kind of laws just give the slaughter of the innocent greater legal footing making it less likely that abortion will be re-criminalized in that area and around the nation.

Its wrong to do evil so that good may come (Romans 3:8).

Posted by: Zeke13:19 at September 12, 2007 2:29 PM

Hi Zeke.

"Never ever support laws that end with "...and then you can kill the baby." "

I've been struggling trying to figure out if I support parental notification, fetal pain, etc. laws, and I think you make an excellent point. It seems to me that supporting a law like that implicitly implies support of legal abortion laws because the potential new law makes no sense taken away from the context of the larger abortion law. So I think thats a good point. God love you, Zeke.

Posted by: Bobby Bambino at September 12, 2007 2:35 PM

I love the lady with the sign that reads 'Women's lives matter' To who? Her? LOL! Lady, you'd better do your homework on abortion, and then get back to us.

Posted by: Heather at September 12, 2007 2:51 PM

Jasper: "It will be interesting to see how ABC & NBC report this. I'll bet it won't be favorable to the pro-life side."

why should they be favorable? Trying to stop a planned parenthood clinic is not a very favorable thing to do.

Posted by: Hal at September 12, 2007 2:57 PM

Bethany,
I thought the same thing. The sign behind her I think uses "Family Planning" as another ridiculous battle cry. If women were responsible in family planning, they wouldn't need an abortion. Abortions are done because women don't have a plan.

Posted by: Sandy at September 12, 2007 3:40 PM

Sandy, good one!

Posted by: Heather at September 12, 2007 3:51 PM

Since when is murder a part of family planning?

Posted by: Heather at September 12, 2007 3:57 PM

Bobby -

Just something to think about concerning the parental notification laws:

Talk about a slippery slope......

Posted by: valerie at September 12, 2007 4:04 PM

Hey Val.

"Do you really think it is advisable for the government to tell our children that it is okay, legal and acceptable for them to lie to their parents?"

Well, as it stands now for states without parental notification laws, kids don't necessarily have to lie to their parents. They could just get the abortion and never mention it to them. True, it does encourage lying, but it doesn't force all kids in all situations obtaining an abortion to lie to their parents. It's tough cause this situation shouldn't exist, so it's hard to say what the right stance is to take on it, like "leftover" IVF embryos. I'll continue to contemplate it. God love you, Val.

Posted by: Bobby Bambino at September 12, 2007 4:12 PM

Abortions are done because women don't have a plan.

Sure they do...
Have sex.
Get pregnant.
Kill the baby.
Have more sex.
Get pregnant again.
Kill another baby.
Have sex...

Posted by: mk at September 12, 2007 6:42 PM

MK, AGREED! PP also has a plan...Give girl abortion, make $, put her on low dose BC pills, Make $, see her back for the next abortion in a few months, make $,...give girl abortion, make $.................

Posted by: Heather at September 12, 2007 6:56 PM

Doh, I just realized that there is a better thread for my last post. I'll post it there too, and delete this. I'm moving it to the "blindness" post.

Posted by: lauren at September 12, 2007 7:23 PM

lauren, that Amanda Marcotte is such a racist. She was name calling at the Jews on one of them. Her soul must be in bondage. I would never want to be her. Those blogs drip with pure evil.

Posted by: Heather at September 12, 2007 7:26 PM

Wow... conspiracy theory much?

Posted by: Leah at September 12, 2007 7:57 PM

Comments to the Aurora City Council—September 11, 2007 by Eric Scheidler...

-------

My name is Eric Scheidler, and I live at 839 Garfield Avenue in the 4th Ward.

I am here today to respond to Planned Parenthood’s allegations about me, my father and the Fox Valley citizens who have been protesting Planned Parenthood since August 9.

Yesterday, Planned Parenthood published a full- age ad in the Aurora Beacon which declared that “the leaders of the anti-Planned Parenthood protests” have a “history of advocating violence . . . and other criminal activity.”

I would like to set the record straight.

My father, Joe Scheidler, founded the Pro-Life Action League in 1980 to bring to the pro-life movement the kind of peaceful activism exercised by Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., with whom he had marched during the Civil Rights era.

My father and the Pro-Life Action League have always ardently opposed any use of violence whatsoever in the fight against abortion. My father has never been convicted of a violent crime.

He has never advocated violence, nor ever praised anyone for committing acts of violence.

He has been arrested, but then so was Dr. King— nd trespass is not a violent crime.

In their ad, Planned Parenthood says:

After a six-week trial in 1998 (case No. 86C7888), a jury in Chicago unanimously found that the Pro-Life Action League Network orchestrated 121 crimes involving acts of threats of force or violence against women’s health facilities that offered abortion services.

Note that, Planned Parenthood refers to this case by it’s docket number, rather than by its name as is usually done. I suppose Planned Parenthood is not eager that the citizens of Aurora should look into these allegations themselves.

For if they did, they would learn that the case, The National Organization for Women versus Scheidler, was ultimately decided in favor of Joe Scheidler and the Pro-Life Action League, in an 8- decision in 2003 and again, decisively, in a unanimous decision in 2006, after NOW tried to stall the implementation of the 2003 decision.

Once again, Planned Parenthood fails to provide all the relevant facts.

They want you to believe that we are violent criminals because of a 1998 lawsuit, but fail to mention that the pro-lifers were ultimately exonerated in the Supreme Court, twice.

Moreover, I have only worked for the League since 2002. NOW v. Scheidler has nothing to do with us here in Aurora.

If this is Planned Parenthood’s standard of honesty and full disclosure, then the City Council is indeed justified in thoroughly investigating Planned Parenthood’s dealings with the City of Aurora.

Nor should the City Council be surprised to find that Planned Parenthood is guilty of deception with regard to the permit application process.

And so I call upon you, Mayor Weisner, and the City Council not to believe Planned Parenthood’s lies, either about the pro-lifers of Aurora, or about how Planned Parenthood came into our town.

If you agree that Planned Parenthood has lied to the City, don’t let them get away with it. Deny their occupancy permit permanently. Let Planned Parenthood find somewhere else to spread their lies and deception.

Mike

Posted by: Mike at September 12, 2007 8:49 PM

Mike, thanks! That was a great speech.

Posted by: Jill Stanek at September 12, 2007 8:56 PM

"Those blogs drip with pure evil."

very well put Heather.

Posted by: jasper at September 12, 2007 9:18 PM

Bobby -

"Well, as it stands now for states without parental notification laws, kids don't necessarily have to lie to their parents. They could just get the abortion and never mention it to them. "

You really haven't thought this through have you? Wouldn't the child have to lie about where she was that day? Wouldn't she have to lie so her parent(s) don't ask too many question on why she is so tired and lethargic? Wouldn't she have to lie if her parents ask her why she isn't going out that day? Most abortions are done on Saturday's you know.

One lie after another. Does she have to say "No Mommy and Daddy I didn't have sex and I didn't have an abortion" for it to be lying? The lying is worse than that.

What about the boy if it isn't satutory rape? He is now lying to his parents too about his wereabouts. He is lying to his parents when they ask him why he is acting so nervous. He is lying when they ask him what happened to his savings accout.

Lie, lie, lie and more lies. It all adds up.....and it will weigh them down. Imagine what happens to these poor children if the parents find out after the fact.

Posted by: valerie at September 12, 2007 9:28 PM

Lie, lie, lie and more lies. It all adds up

...But Valerie, what better place is there for kids to go to on a Saturday to learn how to lie and deceive than Planned Parenthood?

Just kidding.

Mike

Posted by: Mike at September 12, 2007 9:42 PM

Hmmm...

I wonder if the PP folks were still on the clock? Were they getting time and a half? Getting out to Aurora in rush hour traffic must have been a real hassle. Did they get mileage? Gas money? Will Mr. Trombley reimburse them for their tolls? Keep those receipts and get those expense reports in as soon as possible!

Oh yeah! Feel free to pad those expense reports too! After all, you're getting $305,000,000 tax payer dollars! Planned Parenthood can afford it!

Then again, maybe they just got some comp time and a chance to schmooze the boss and move up in the baby-killing business.

Posted by: Jeff C. at September 12, 2007 10:23 PM

Why do I find it surprising that Steve Trombley lacked the courage to actually enter the Council Chamber?

Posted by: Jeff C. at September 12, 2007 10:33 PM

I am on the fence about the notification laws....I think if Planned Parenthood had some accountability instead of this green light for everything they do it could be the foothold to break them. It's business, no money....no business. THeir blood money is made on girls having no support, no input from people who know them....just strangers with a bottom line. Part of the problem with trying to prosecute them in other states on statutory rape, incest, underage abortion is the lack of evidence due to their stealth ways of doing business. This aspect of notification and consent is what is getting these suburbanites off the couch and tuned in. They have not idea that abortion is for their kids...it's for the poor and minority women.

Most states with legislation have an "out clause" that people are referring to where if the kids parents disagree then they can get the court to do a "judiciary bypass" and they can get the abortion anyway. Any time we can put between a girl and her abortionist is good. This is legal (as of now) and we have to use the law to fight them at their own game.

We are lucky in this case that they were so arrogant about their blatant tactics. That arrogance is from years of not being challenged in the legislature. They are currently using this situation to raise money on their web site to fight the city and other states that "limit a women's choice". I tell people planned parenthood is not in the womens health business, they are in the child predator business and their kids are targets.

May we all continue to learn, grow and do our best in this fight for life, the lives of these impressionable girls, women without options and their babies.

Posted by: rebecca at September 13, 2007 12:34 AM

Here is a YouTube video from a Dallas/Fort Worth TV news investigation on this very matter. (It is at least a few years old, but it was really good. Sorry if this was already in one of Jill's blogs.)
Video title:

Planned Parenthood Conceals Statutory Rape, Sex Exploitation

Just put a dot in this URL

tinyurl com/3cohpd

Posted by: Paul at September 13, 2007 4:16 AM

PLANNED PARENTHOOD PROTECTS CHILD MOLESTERS!

HOLD THEM ACCOUNTABLE TO THE LAW!

I strongly believe that we should push for the city of Aurora, and/or the Illinois State's Attorney to investigate Planned Parenthood's record of compliance of the mandated reporting of suspected abuse of children. (Obtaining PP's records would be virtually impossible, since they probably destroy them, but an investigation would be a step to making PP accountable.)

Does anyone know how we can push for both an investigation of their past non-compliance with these statutes, AND a plan to monitor their compliance in the future??

Does anyone have contact with state's attorneys and/or prosecuting attorneys who could be consulted on this?

Thanks and God bless.

(Also please see a link to a Dallas TV news investigative report on PP in my post immediately above.

Posted by: Paul at September 13, 2007 4:20 AM

Wow... conspiracy theory much?

Just cuz you're paranoid, doesn't mean someone isn't after you...

Posted by: mk at September 13, 2007 8:00 AM

Want to start your private office arms race?

I just got my own USB rocket launcher :-) Awsome thing.

Plug into your computer and you got a remote controlled office missile launcher with 360 degrees horizontal and 45 degree vertival rotation with a range of more than 6 meters - which gives you a coverage of 113 square meters round your workplace.
You can get the gadget here: http://tinyurl.com/2qul3c

Check out the video they have on the page.

Cheers