Pro-lifer of the Year

brian%20rohrbough2.jpgCongratulations to Brian Rohrbough for being named the Stanek blog's 2007 Pro-lifer of the Year by our poll.

Brian received over 41% of the vote, which he got from all over the country - not just supporters in his home state of CO - as evidenced by the little yellow flags scattered about on the vote tracking map below (click map to enlarge)....

Brian's arrival on the public pro-life scene was launched tragically by the killing of his son Dan during the Columbine massacre on April 20, 1999.

Since then, Brian has used his publicity in large part to decry abortion, as evidenced by the words he chose for his son's plaque at the Columbine High School memorial, dedicated this past September (click to enlarge):

Rohrbough's memorial sparked controversy, and he had to threaten to sue the committee if they did not accept his choice of words (click on graphic for link):

brian%20rohrbough%20video2.jpg

Brian's push-back there was an indicator of the fighter for life he is. Brian has become a pro-life standard bearer, eloquently challenging the incremental pro-life position. He was just named president of the newly formed American Right to Life.

Congratulations to the other nominees, worthy contenders all.

poll%20pro-lifer%20of%20the%20year3.jpg

Comments:

"Brian received over 41% of the vote, which he got from all over the country - not just supporters in his home state of CO - as evidenced by the little yellow flags scattered about on the vote tracking map below (click map to enlarge):"

Jill,
my bad..I'm sorry for thinking that the voting wasn't ligit..

Congrats to Brian! I am so sorry for his temporary loss, but am glad that he was able to use it for good.

I also love the wording that he chose for the plaque. It still brings a tear to my eyes. How awfully sad & true.

God bless you, Brian & here's to another year of pro-life passion!!!

**clinks can of diet Pepsi to monitor**

Posted by: Anonymous at January 1, 2008 10:31 AM

the above anon was me....

Posted by: AB Laura at January 1, 2008 10:32 AM

Yeah, I think it's great that Rohrbough pimped his dead son to further a totally unrelated political agenda.

I wonder if Madeline McCann's parents will pimp her memory to promote a political candidate or save endangered lemurs.

(Hey! It's New Year's Day and I've already fulfilled my "decorum quotient" for 2008!)

Posted by: Laura at January 1, 2008 12:20 PM

@Laura,

do you call it 'pimping' when you display the Ethiopian small starving boy and the buzzard photo?

Posted by: John McDonell at January 1, 2008 1:07 PM

Posted by: John McDonell at January 1, 2008 1:07 PM
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

1) It was a girl.
2) The photo was germane to the conversation we were having.

What the hell does a school shooting have to do with abortion?

Posted by: Laura at January 1, 2008 1:15 PM

@Laura,

for that link maybe you should read the insignia. Reminds me of a severely disabled friend down the hall. We had been told that euthanasia and abortion were completely different issues. When asked to comment, she said: "Same thing ... same thing!"`

Guess Doug's standard of wanted/unwanted applies outside of pre-born life, eh?

Posted by: John McDonell at January 1, 2008 1:32 PM

Correct me if I'm wrong here...but as I understood this father's reasoning, the politics/ethics mentioned on the memorial were directly related to a conversation he had with his son about another school shooting right before his son was murdered at school.

Laura, with all due respect to your wit and sarcasm...you really crossed the line from nitwit to heartless bitch on this one. How can you attack a father mourning his son because his mourning doesn't fit your pathology? You’ve attacked Elizabeth because her “suffering” isn’t enough for you, You’ve attacked post-abortive women with regrets because they don’t toe your line…and now this. You are obviously heartless and soulless and your only point in being on this board is to assuage your own ego and give you a safe haven to spew your contempt for people in general, without actually having to do it to someone’s face. (and reap the consequences…) Samuel Clemens was a misanthrope, but at least he had some class. You however, have not one iota of class to spare. I think your tasteless comments show how sick your heart really is. And honestly, as tempting as it is to spar with you, I am with Heather after this comment of yours. The only appropriate action is to ignore you completely. You really bottomed out on this one…

Posted by: Hooves-in-Maw at January 1, 2008 1:48 PM

What the hell does a school shooting have to do with abortion?

Posted by: Laura at January 1, 2008 1:15 PM

----------------

Both take innocent lives due to the lack of values and morals that some in this country who value self-righteous, self-centered decisions are trying to impose to make our society Godless. Thus, death is the consequence of both of these decisions.

Posted by: AB Laura at January 1, 2008 1:53 PM

Oh please...

What if I said that Fundamental Christianity - ie. the Crusades, the Inquisition, Hitler, Jim Jones and David Koresh - had cheapened life so much that it caused school shootings?

Legalized abortion had NOTHING to do with the death of this man's son. (Gee, should I get a picture of his son and display it out in front of his home on Christmas day to promote a political agenda of my own? I know pro-lifers are into that sort of thing. Talk about heartless...)

Posted by: Laura at January 1, 2008 1:59 PM

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Promoting a political agenda is mourning?

If I had "VOTE HILLARY 08!" etched on my father's headstone, would you consider that tasteless?

Posted by: Laura at January 1, 2008 2:03 PM

Removing God from society has EVERTYTHING to do with the death of this man's son. Legalizing murder devalues human life...I'm sure his son's killers didn't value human life, just as those aborting don't. It was a comparison, Laura, to the way our society is becoming Godless. It also shows the consequences of removing God from society (inlcuding schools), i.e., the death of his son.

Posted by: AB Laura at January 1, 2008 2:03 PM

Yeesh. There's no secret about the fact that I (and others)think Rohrbough's attacking other pro-life groups and people hurts the pro-life movement as a whole. But this idea that Rohrbough is pimping his son is downright shameful and I think the moderators here need to be a little more proactive.

I can't imagine a worse loss than seeing your own child killed. The pain Brian and his family experienced after the Columbine killings is something many of us will fortunately never have to tackle.

I completely understand and respect how losing his son helped Brian appreciate even more how the killing of someone before or after birth is tragic. My understanding is that Brian was pro-life and active in pro-life efforts *before* Columbine, so he's not piggybacking on that sad day to promote the pro-life perspective. Therefore, it's not exploitation, it's understanding and you owe Brian an apology.

Posted by: Steven Ertelt at January 1, 2008 2:07 PM

Laura,
It's not promoting a "political agenda"...it's promoting the sanctity of LIFE!

Posted by: AB Laura at January 1, 2008 2:07 PM

It's wrong on so many levels...

Speaking of tasteless, we've had some truly hilarious, drunken wakes in my family.
When someone passes, you celebrate the fact that they existed and graced you own life.

You do not capitalize on their death in order to promote a political agenda.

Posted by: Laura at January 1, 2008 2:17 PM

-------self-centered

You do not capitalize on their death in order to promote a political agenda.
-------helping others

hmmmmmmmmm.....

Posted by: AB Laura at January 1, 2008 2:25 PM

What would you say to a grieving widow??

Posted by: heather at January 1, 2008 2:26 PM

Happy New Year, Heather!

Posted by: AB Laura at January 1, 2008 2:29 PM

I have heard some people say that they actually want a celebration at their funeral. That's just fine, but for some it just isn't going to happen that way. I met an older man yesterday whose son was killed 15 years ago in a motorcycle accident. Heck, he should be over it, huh? He got tears in his eyes while talking about it. He said, "It's something you NEVER get over."

Posted by: heather at January 1, 2008 2:32 PM

Amen

Posted by: Hooves-in-Maw at January 1, 2008 2:33 PM

Heather,
I agree (2:32pm). But according to Laura, if he were to go out & try to reduce the # of motorcycle accidents by promoting saftey or something, he would be "pimping" his son's death.

Warped!

Posted by: AB Laura at January 1, 2008 2:36 PM

Heather,

My agnostic husband has told me he wants a celebration at his funeral. Given that I am saved, his funeral would be doubly sad for me….since I know I would not see him in Heaven. I told him I would split the difference: I would provide the celebration for family and friends out of respect for his wishes, but he would have to respect that I could not attend it myself….

Posted by: Hooves-in-Maw at January 1, 2008 2:37 PM

Hooves,
That's so sad!!! I will DEFINATELY be praying for him!!!

Posted by: AB Laura at January 1, 2008 2:38 PM

AB Laura, same to you!!

Posted by: heather at January 1, 2008 2:38 PM

Hooves and AB Laura, True. AB Laura, how right you are!

Posted by: heather at January 1, 2008 2:42 PM

Laura,

But stand in our shoes for just a minute.

This man's son was murdered for no reason other than the "de"valuation by another person. That person, decided that his son was wasted space. Not truly a human being, but a whipping boy.

Brian is trying to say that he believes that the boy that killed his son had been raised in a society that has told him (tacitly and by example) that life is expendable. That human life is ours to do with what we will. We can allow it to flourish or we can snuff it out on a whim.

By not believing in God and following His Divine Law, we are left to our own devices and can make up the definition of right and wrong according to our "desires".

It really goes back to the quote about theft. We have stolen our children's understanding of the sanctity of all human life. This boy has stolen Brian's son and any children that his son may have had, thus stealing Brian's grandchildren and legacy. We have stolen our childrens right to express their religious beliefs in a public setting.

Brian, and we, the prolifers on this site, believe that without a "definitive" moral code, and without a respect for all human life from conception to death, we have stolen the most precious gifts our children have ever been given. The right to worship their creator and the right to live.

I understand that you don't "get it" but it is not meant to be gotten by people who don't believe as we do. Mr. Rohrbough is expressing his grief the way he has "Chosen" to express his grief. Surely you don't think you can dictate how a person in his circumstances should express himself.

As to you having "VOTE HILLARY 08!" etched on your father's headstone, I wouldn't find it tasteless. If that is what your father wanted or if that was the best way to express your grief, heck, it's your father and your headstone.

I find Hillary distasteful, but you're right to express your grief as you see fit is yours and yours alone.

Posted by: mk at January 1, 2008 2:49 PM

AB,

Yes, it is difficult...and I know from experience now why Paul said not to yoke yourself to an unbeliever. I thought it really wouldn’t matter….but it does. I have been happily married to him for 11 years and he is so totally my best friend. (which makes it even harder!) I will never leave him and am totally devoted to him and YET I harp on my 21 year old sister routinely NOT to put herself in my shoes and to marry a SAVED man. She’s seen my emotional struggles and I hope she learns from my mistake. I thank you for your prayers. My most fervent prayer is that I may be a Proverbs wife and help to open his heart by my example. That is hard too….because I am most certainly NOT naturally a Proverbs wife!! ;)

Posted by: Hooves-in-Maw at January 1, 2008 2:53 PM

Hey mk,

Can I have a gumball now? It might help me get my Irish back down....

Posted by: Hooves-in-Maw at January 1, 2008 2:55 PM

I've had the same problem in previous relationships, Hooves, and yes I agree, it is very difficult! I'll pray for you, also, that God will give you the strength to be the Proverbs wife! I think you're an awesome woman & he is sure lucky (blessed, just doesn't know it YET) to have you as his wife!

Posted by: AB Laura at January 1, 2008 2:56 PM

Stop it--I'm blushing!!

(and thanks!)

Posted by: Hooves-in-Maw at January 1, 2008 2:57 PM

Posted by: Hooves-in-Maw at January 1, 2008 2:37
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Laughter through tears is my favorite emotion."

-Dolly Parton as Truvi in "Steel Magnolias"

Inappropriate humor is so soothing.
Heck, we'll let you hit Weezer!

Posted by: Laura at January 1, 2008 2:58 PM

Steven,

I hear you and appreciate what you are saying, but two things comes to mind.

1. Perhaps Laura will learn something from this. When she says things that are so completely insensitive she is "wearing a vulva costume" to the March in DC. Everyone sees it and her actions speak volumes to the people on both sides of this issue. To silence her because we disagree would be to go against everything that this website stands for. She has not broken any of the "rules" we have posted.

2. To silence her because we disagree would mean that we actually agree with her on the point of the memorial by Brian Rohrbough. We would be agreeing that if something is tasteless to some people it should "removed". His memorial is tasteless to Laura, yet we are adamantly defending his right to have it. Laura's comments are distasteful to us, but I am defending her right to be tasteless.

I'll leave this one up to Jill, but personally, I think Laura was just being Laura, and sometimes that isn't pleasant. I believe she should be allowed to walk that fine line. It's just that by not outright "breaking" any of our rules, she hasn't yet crossed it.

Posted by: mk at January 1, 2008 3:01 PM

I thought that Paul Wellstone's funeral - the one that turned into a Democratic pep-rally - was one of the most embarassing moments EVER for the Democratic Party.
There wasn't a Republican pundit alive who didn't point out how tastless that mess was...

Posted by: Laura at January 1, 2008 3:03 PM

Laura,

One of the reasons I like you so much is that you and I are BOTH Wheezer! And in twenty years we'll both be Sophia Petrillo...

I don't think this memorial is on par with a pep rally...I think the man was trying to make sense out of a senseless situation. He (and I) believe that we live in a "Culture of Death" and that when you don't respect the weakest of the weak and the smallest of the small, then how can we expect anyone to respect anyone?

Posted by: mk at January 1, 2008 3:06 PM

Pardon me - there were a lot of parents who thought that the Columbine Massacre was a legitimate call for gun control, but felt that putting that political message on their child's memorial was inappropriate.

There is a time and place to promote your agenda, and that's not it...

Posted by: Laura at January 1, 2008 3:08 PM

Piss off Laura.

Posted by: Hooves-in-Maw at January 1, 2008 3:10 PM

Posted by: mk at January 1, 2008 3:06 PM
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I know plenty of vegans who will tell you the same thing, but I don't believe that my beloved western bacon cheeseburgers led to the Columbine Massacre.

Posted by: Laura at January 1, 2008 3:11 PM

Were we voting on booting off Laura?........................ Boot her!

Posted by: heather at January 1, 2008 3:13 PM

BTW, I love what this man wrote to his son.

Posted by: heather at January 1, 2008 3:15 PM

mk said, "I understand that you don't see the connection. If you don't believe in God and you don't accept that the unborn are fully human beings, then it would sound ridiculous."

mk, you're kidding, right? She gets it & has no problem telling us how Christians should act, what they should and should not say, and what they should and should not do.

Her mere motive on these threads is to get a rise out of people and stray away from the topic as much as possible. I works most of the time, and I really must agree with Heather that we need to ignore her and her sarcastic
venom.

I really don't know why so much time & energy is wasted into her comments...

Posted by: AB Laura at January 1, 2008 3:17 PM

Laura, you just don't have anything constructive to say. You are making a feeble attempt at being funny. Leave that to the comedians, because it's just not working in your case. I don't get your humor. Was this last one supposed to put me in stitches??

Posted by: heather at January 1, 2008 3:18 PM

AB Laura, I agree. I'll take SOMG over her any day. I can't believe I just said that. Also, I do believe that Laura knows exactly what she's doing. She's 45 years old.

Posted by: heather at January 1, 2008 3:20 PM

Laura,

Exactly! You DO understand. You don't see things the way they do so it seems silly to you that they don't eat meat. You continue to do so, because you don't believe what they believe. But you don't call them tasteless for eating tofu do you?
And they don't make "gross out" faces while you are enjoying your western bacon burgers.

You don't see things the way we do, but let us eat our tofu. You don't have to eat it. Just quit making us feel bad because we like tofu.

And if someone wanted to write on their son or daughters memorial that they believe gun laws would have prevented their son or daughters death, then I say DO IT!

Posted by: mk at January 1, 2008 3:24 PM

MK, rock on!

Posted by: heather at January 1, 2008 3:26 PM

AB Laura,

I don't think Laura just tries to get a rise out of us...not all the time anyway. I think she really and truly does believe we're all nuts. Yet, like a bad car accident, she is inexplicably drawn to us. When she makes these comments it because she really is perplexed that we think like we do. Just as we are perplexed that anyone could think like she does.

Texas Red? She's just out to cause trouble. Doesn't believe in anything if you ask me. But I think Laura does believe in her "cause". I think she's wrong. But I honestly think that she is sincere. (Sincerely wrong as well...)

Posted by: mk at January 1, 2008 3:28 PM

mk...WOW!

Posted by: AB Laura at January 1, 2008 3:29 PM

mk....God luv ya, you should have been a diplomat.

But I think you honestly give her too much credit.

Please pass the gumballs.

Posted by: Hooves-in-Maw at January 1, 2008 3:30 PM

I still don't understand how a 45 year old cannot possibly understand that an unborn child is more than just "crotch goo."...Yes, this is how Laura chose to describe it once. *blah!*

Posted by: heather at January 1, 2008 3:32 PM

Heather,
come on...she meant well!

Posted by: AB Laura at January 1, 2008 3:34 PM

Hi All,

Just came back from sleding, it's a winter wonderland in Massachusetts today.

Congratulations to Brian Rohrbough all the other nominees. Thanks to the Internet, I finally saw what abortion was. I keep on saying this, but the MSM are filled with biased pro-aborts who think like Laura. We need to get Fox News to do a 24 hr special on abortion, filming one like they did in Spain and airing it on nationwide TV.

Posted by: jasper at January 1, 2008 3:34 PM

Sorry, I meant to say "an aborted child."

Posted by: heather at January 1, 2008 3:34 PM

Posted by: Hooves-in-Maw at January 1, 2008 3:35 PM

I am STILL laughing, Heather! I didn't hear that one until now...I haven't laughed out loud in eons!!!

Posted by: AB Laura at January 1, 2008 3:35 PM

Oh come on AB--you laughed out loud at my "post-born fetus" comment!!

Posted by: Hooves-in-Maw at January 1, 2008 3:36 PM

Hooves said, "Anyone who can use the term "crotch goo" is displaying nothing more than a trailer park mentality and a congenital lack of good taste."

I think you are giving her too much credit, now!

Posted by: AB Laura at January 1, 2008 3:37 PM

Hooves,
I did LOL for that one...sorry! But my sides are splitting from this one! Is there an initialism for that?

Posted by: AB Laura at January 1, 2008 3:39 PM

AB--

Do you mean to say that me saying Laura has a trailer park mentality and congenital lack of good taste is giving Laura too much credit?

So, did I just insult all trailer park inhabitants by accident??

Posted by: Hooves-in-Maw at January 1, 2008 3:40 PM

Well, in Laura's world, nobody is fit to be a mother. Rich women with unplanned pregnancies are "crack whores." Poor women are "welfare suckers."........*sigh*........... the world according to Laura. Who can win?

Posted by: heather at January 1, 2008 3:40 PM

SSFRL...

Sides splitting from riotous laughter.

Posted by: Hooves-in-Maw at January 1, 2008 3:41 PM

...none of it matters....we are all just batteries in the Matrix.

Posted by: Hooves-in-Maw at January 1, 2008 3:43 PM

Hooves,
Love it!!!
And yes, I do believe that you have insulted the fine Americans living in trailer parks across the US...

Posted by: AB Laura at January 1, 2008 3:43 PM

Heather,
And don't forget, if you're a pro-lifer, gosh darned it, you had better drive nice cars and wear nice duds!

Posted by: AB Laura at January 1, 2008 3:44 PM

AB, you're right. That will be the key to my happiness.

Posted by: heather at January 1, 2008 3:47 PM

Heather, right! No kids, nice car, nice clothes, unlimited venom...sounds like the life to me! Pure happiness!

Posted by: AB Laura at January 1, 2008 3:48 PM

Darn!

*ahem*

ATTENTION: ALL TRAILER PARK INHABITANTS

I HEREBY OFFICIALLY, DEEPLY AND SINCERLEY APOLOGIZE FOR ANY PERCIVED SLANDER INADVERTANTLY DIRECTED TO YOUR UPSTANDING EXSITANCE. I IN NO WAY MEANT TO DEMEAN, IMPUNE OR IN ANY WAY OFFEND ANYONE WEARING DIRTY WIFE-BEATERS OR FADED TUBE TOPS WHILST DANGLING A LONG-ASHED CIGARETTE FROM BETWEEN YOUR LIPS AS YOU POP THE TOP ON THAT LATEST CAN OF SCHLITZ. PLEASE FORGIVE ME AND I PROMISE I WILL DO PENANCE BY DE-FLEAING YOUR 14 HOUND DOGS AND TRYING TO REMOVE THE STAINS FROM THE MATRESS ON YOUR FRONT STOOP (ALSO KNOWN AS A PORCH).

Sincerely and yours truly:

Hooves-in-Maw

Posted by: Hooves-in-Maw at January 1, 2008 3:49 PM

Hooves, LOL!!

Posted by: heather at January 1, 2008 3:52 PM

Heather,

I used to live in southern Indianna....I know of what I speak!

Posted by: Hooves-in-Maw at January 1, 2008 3:53 PM

Sorry--got carried away with the "n's"

Indiana...

Posted by: Hooves-in-Maw at January 1, 2008 3:54 PM

Actually, I'll go out on a limb and say that some T.P. residents have more class than she ever will.

Posted by: heather at January 1, 2008 3:55 PM

Hooves,
your creativity never ceases to amaze me!

Posted by: AB Laura at January 1, 2008 3:55 PM

Heather...ya think?

Posted by: AB Laura at January 1, 2008 3:56 PM

*bow*

Posted by: heather at January 1, 2008 3:58 PM

Well kiddies, this thread seems to be winding down. And it's obvious I'm not going to get my gumball....so I'm going to go take a shower and put on my disgracefully shabby clothes, get into my ratty old car and deliver some leftover potato salad to my lazy welfare mom while trying to ratchet the hooves out of my maw….

Happy New Year!

(And I would have gladly punched Weezer in the face….)

Crap….Proverbs Wife, Proverbs Wife, Proverbs Wife….

‘Bye y’all!

Posted by: Hooves-in-Maw at January 1, 2008 4:12 PM

Laura blathered:

"Folks, I'm not exactly known for my diplomacy and tact, but ruining someone's Christmas or pimping dead children is just SO tasteless."

Its not tasteless. At least, not compared to promoting the violent slaughter of innocent babies as you do Laura. You are far worse than "tasteless".

Posted by: zeke13:19 at January 1, 2008 4:13 PM

OH YOU GUYS! STOP IT! YOU'RE KILLIN' ME HERE!

You know I can't resist being in on a joke, and I'm trying to put some dignity back in this post...

Hooves,
Try oxyclean on that stained mattress.

Heather,
Crotch-goo will definitely go down in history around here...right along with blueberry.

AB Laura,
Show some mercy for your namesake! There but for the grace of God go us...this is why we stay away from pro-choice websites..lol

Laura,
I've done what I can. You're on your own.
Good Luck Babe. You're gonna need it. These guys are on a roll. Walkin' the line, but not crossin' it!

I've gotta pick up my son from the fire station, but I can guarantee you I'll be right back on here when I get back...Lord forgive me, I'm weak.

Posted by: mk at January 1, 2008 4:14 PM

Theresa,

You're gum(eye)ball is in the mail...packed in formaldehyde, complete with a red bow. You've earned it!

Posted by: mk at January 1, 2008 4:15 PM

you MUST tell me about blueberry!!! I've stiched my sides back together & am ready for more!!!

Posted by: AB Laura at January 1, 2008 4:18 PM

*clasping fingers greedily--eyes shifting side to side*

It's MY gumball...
All mine....all mine!

Oooooooooo! Heh, heh, heh!

I will pet it and stroke it and feed it...
And call it George.

Mine....all mine....

Posted by: Hooves-in-Maw at January 1, 2008 4:28 PM

OK, promoting your political agenda at a memorial is fine.
I'm sure the fine folks at Westboro Baptist Church would be happy to print up some "GOD HATES FAGS" signs for you.

Posted by: Laura at January 1, 2008 4:31 PM

Well, Erin referred to her unborn baby as a blueberry blip. Is that what we're talking about? Hey guys, I've got the T.V. on, and there is an episode of "THAT 70's SHOW" showing. It's all about pregnant women, and guess what?? The pregnant woman with Kelso is rubbing her tummy, and she's talking about her BABY!!

Posted by: heather at January 1, 2008 4:34 PM

Hooves,
I am very happy for you & George!

Posted by: AB Laura at January 1, 2008 4:34 PM

Laura,
It's not promoting a "political agenda"...it's promoting the sanctity of LIFE!

Laura,
It's not promoting a "political agenda"...it's promoting the sanctity of LIFE!

Laura,
It's not promoting a "political agenda"...it's promoting the sanctity of LIFE!

Laura,
It's not promoting a "political agenda"...it's promoting the sanctity of LIFE!

Laura,
It's not promoting a "political agenda"...it's promoting the sanctity of LIFE!

Posted by: AB Laura at January 1, 2008 4:36 PM

I guess the program refused to say "fetus." I wonder if PC women were offended.

Posted by: heather at January 1, 2008 4:36 PM

Heather,
I loved that episode!

Posted by: AB Laura at January 1, 2008 4:37 PM

"God hates fags?" No he doesn't, but he hates their lifestyle.

Posted by: heather at January 1, 2008 4:37 PM

Yup, she's rubbing her tummy, and she is repeating "I can't wait until my baby is here." NOT FETUS!

Posted by: heather at January 1, 2008 4:39 PM

Aren't fags another name for cigarettes?

Posted by: mk at January 1, 2008 4:41 PM

Laura,
It's not promoting a "political agenda"...it's promoting the sanctity of LIFE!

Laura,
It's not promoting a "political agenda"...it's promoting the sanctity of LIFE!

Laura,
It's not promoting a "political agenda"...it's promoting the sanctity of LIFE!

Laura,
It's not promoting a "political agenda"...it's promoting the sanctity of LIFE!

Laura,
It's not promoting a "political agenda"...it's promoting the sanctity of LIFE!

AB Laura,
What are you trying to say?...

Posted by: mk at January 1, 2008 4:42 PM

Heather,
Did she say on that episode if she was a crack whore or a welfare sucker? I can't remember....

Posted by: AB Laura at January 1, 2008 4:43 PM

Laura,

I don't believe the Mr Rohrbough was insulting anyone. Unlike holding up demeaning signs insulting homosexual individuals.

He expressed an idea that to him explained the otherwise senseless killing of his little boy.

No insults. Nothing nasty. Just the belief that if God were allowed in our childrens lives and if we, as adults, respected life, then our children might also.

Posted by: mk at January 1, 2008 4:44 PM

MK, pretty much. I think I'll smoke a fag.

Posted by: heather at January 1, 2008 4:45 PM

AB Laura,

No one knows what she said. We couldn't understand her as she was missing most of her teeth.

Posted by: mk at January 1, 2008 4:45 PM

mk,
you can see that post? WOW! For a while there I thought it was only showing up on my monitor!

Posted by: AB Laura at January 1, 2008 4:45 PM

AB Laura, the woman is well dressed, but she will be a single mom, so the poor dear is both.

Posted by: heather at January 1, 2008 4:46 PM

mk,
LOL!

Posted by: AB Laura at January 1, 2008 4:47 PM

My headstone will read "I TOLD YOU I WAS SICK"

Posted by: heather at January 1, 2008 4:51 PM

mk -- I don't think blogs, and this one especially, should be aplace for personal atacks. Laura's post qualified in my mind...

Posted by: Steven Ertelt at January 1, 2008 4:52 PM

Heather,
That's a good one!

Posted by: AB Laura at January 1, 2008 4:52 PM

AB Laura,

The invisible ink is finally coming through. But if Laura doesn't have her special glasses she won't be able to see it.

Posted by: mk at January 1, 2008 4:53 PM

Steve,
and to think you caught her on a "good day"!

Posted by: AB Laura at January 1, 2008 4:53 PM

Steven, you are correct. We have all given Laura a fair shot. I really don't think she is looking to convert, and I have ruled out the fact that she is here to make any of us see it "her way." Debate? Nah! Try insult, degrade, belittle, berate, and hurt.

Posted by: heather at January 1, 2008 4:59 PM

Well Steven,

As I said, I will pass this one to Jill.
We allow Zeke to post on here and her stuff is truly volcanic.
We allow SoMG to post and his stuff is sociopathic.

We all know who is who and tend to take their nonsense with a grain of salt. We've got button pushers on both sides, and so far we have all managed to allow our wayward brothers and sisters to continue to post.

I'll pass your thoughts onto Jill and let her make the call...

Posted by: mk at January 1, 2008 5:02 PM

It might be easier to deal with her if she would open up more and act more human, but it just isn't happening. Here is a woman who was boasting about dog grooming services during the California forest fires. That's all fine and dandy, but I would think you could have found something more important to focus on. That's last on the list. Again, human life comes first! FIRST!

Posted by: heather at January 1, 2008 5:03 PM

It's always good to have others on the side of the debate. Look at the conversion of PIP. However, PIP was never abusive. *applause to PIP* She came in with an opened mind, and she listened to us. We listened to her.

Posted by: heather at January 1, 2008 5:06 PM

Laura, Laura, Laura,

You don't make my life easier...

Posted by: mk at January 1, 2008 5:07 PM

@Hooves: I thorougly enjoyed your post apologizing to folks in trailer homes. My mom has always wanted her very own double-wide with as much as we've moved (my parents have moved 14+ times in 25 years of marriage, I've moved 7-8 times since I was born). Them double-wides git 'er dun. :D

Is your gumball, George your PREEEEESSSSCCCCIIIIIOOOOOUSSSSSS?

As for the topic at hand:
I am a little disappointed the stem-cell guy didn't get it, but hey, it's what the people want, and I am just one person. :) Beyond that, I'm not going to say anything besides I don't agree with this man's tactics but if that's the way he wants to git 'er done, that's his decision.

Posted by: Rae at January 1, 2008 5:16 PM

Yes, Rae....

George is my preeeeeeessssssccccciiiiooooooussssss....

...ssssss....

And if you are really, really good, you too may some day posess a g'miball...but you aren't allowed to name him George.

Posted by: Hooves-in-Maw at January 1, 2008 5:35 PM

And a trailer is only a trailer if it has at least one bead curtian in it.

Posted by: Hooves-in-Maw at January 1, 2008 5:36 PM

@Hooves: Oh you bet there will be bead curtains in the double-wide...along with those beaded seat covers for the front of the trailer as we pick up and move state-to-state. :)

Don't worry, I will not name it George, I will name it...Pickles.

Prreeeeeeeeeeeessssssssscccccciiiiiiiiioooooouuussss...

Posted by: Rae at January 1, 2008 5:52 PM

Steve, I appreciate your concern. For however tasteless Laura's comments usually are - purposefully - we let most of them (and most everyone else's) stand.

Posted by: Jill Stanek at January 1, 2008 6:11 PM

Posted by: mk at January 1, 2008 3:24 PM
.......................................................

As a genealogist, I must say that it would be very interesting if everyone posted political commentary on their family member's graves. Can you imagine what those old graveyards would yield in understanding of past attitudes?

Posted by: Sally at January 1, 2008 7:42 PM

That is a very interesting point...as a history buff I would certainly appreciate the trend--had it been....

Posted by: Hooves-in-Maw at January 1, 2008 7:45 PM

OK Rae,

But remember you will have to earn Pickles through taste and exquisite wit.

Posted by: Hooves-in-Maw at January 1, 2008 7:46 PM

Congrats to Brian and ARTL

If you�d like to hear Brian�s explanation as to why abortion is related to school shootings you can watch his appearance on the CBS evening news.

Also for those confused about the memorial inscription it is not Daniel�s gravestone it is a memorial on the Columbine property. Google only has a view of the work in progress but that can be seen at:

Posted by: JET at January 1, 2008 8:29 PM

@Hooves: I'll try. I'm not terribly witty though. And my family says I have poor taste in boys and music... :-p

*stands at attention and salutes*

I will try my best my liege! (Hope I spelled "liege" correctly?)

Posted by: Rae at January 1, 2008 8:47 PM

Hooves really nailed it up at the top of this thread, about Laura. Yo GO hooves !

Posted by: Mike at January 1, 2008 9:22 PM

Posted by: Hooves-in-Maw at January 1, 2008 7:45 PM
.............................................

How would you feel if one of those grave markers related the sentiment that niggers must die? McCarthy for president?
I think that a man that pisses all over his son's grave with his own beliefs never respected his son.
Unless his son requested an epitaph, piercing, tattoo ......daddy needs to have some respect.

Posted by: Sally at January 1, 2008 10:37 PM

Umm, Sally...you can stick your poison pen back in it's holster. I was trying to give you a compliment....don't worry, I won't make that same mistake twice.

I really wouldn't give a sh*t what it said...my point was it would be a facinating first hand glimps of the culture frozen in real time.

Now go to your happy place and pretend you are a civil human being.

Posted by: Hooves-in-Maw at January 1, 2008 11:25 PM

Guess Doug's standard of wanted/unwanted applies outside of pre-born life, eh?

No, John.

Posted by: Doug at January 1, 2008 11:50 PM

Jill, no problem. It's your blog.

Posted by: Steven Ertelt at January 1, 2008 11:56 PM

Hooves in Maw, isn't that odd, what Sally just did? This has happened many times since she started posting here. I am starting to wonder if two different people are using her computer and screen name? She has a split personality, it seems, and never can seem to remember who she's speaking to, or what she's talking about. Some days she is super civil, other days she transforms into this nasty mean person. I don't get it.

Posted by: Bethany at January 1, 2008 11:57 PM

It's your choice Doug, but a decision would be nice.

Posted by: yllas at January 2, 2008 1:22 AM

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Yup, I can imagine:

"Here lies our little angel. Although she only graced this planet for six years, she was an ardent supporter of the Hoot-Smawley Tariff Act of 1930."

Posted by: Laura at January 2, 2008 1:48 AM

Excuse me, "Smoot-Hawley"...

Posted by: Laura at January 2, 2008 2:09 AM

Does that mean the headstone now reads:

Although she only graced this planet for six years, she was an ardent supporter of the Hoot-Smawley Tariff Act of 1930. Excuse me, "Smoot-Hawley"..."

Don't they charge by the letter?

Posted by: mk at January 2, 2008 5:45 AM

"She has a split personality, it seems, and never can seem to remember who she's speaking to, or what she's talking about. Some days she is super civil, other days she transforms into this nasty mean person. I don't get it."

I watched Psycho for the first time on TV after her remarks and ended up wondering the same thing! (Thought it was a great movie too—Hitchcock was a genius.)

I also found it fascinating that she feels the need to throw out there that she is a “genealogist” …like that is synonymous with “intellectual” and then blasts me for pointing out that there is a genuine intellectual interest (and value!) to having someplace (a graveyard) where a society had flash-frozen it’s culture right onto the stone. You would be able to glean so much about a culture at a given time (complete with dates no less!!) and you would think that someone trying to come off as “intellectual” would get that connection. But then again….maybe she does get the connections….maybe that’s why PC’ers don’t like memorial crosses for murdered babies….

That’s a thought grenade Sally….wait for it.

That said, I repeat that anyone who is truly interested in history wouldn’t give a HOOT was engraved (when did you ever hear an archeologist exclaim upon deciphering Egyptian hieroglyphics, “Oh my goodness…can you believe they practiced SLAVERY??!! How awful!! Quick—SEAL UP THIS TOMB!!) It would MATTER if it promoted lynching’s, denigrated women or anything else that we all know actually happened….the point is that we would get a glimpse into the mindset with more accuracy than we can guess at now.

But then Sally is demonstrating the same mindset of those enlightened folks who want to ban Mark Twain from school libraries because he used the word “nigger” when someone from the south was speaking in one of his books….lets forget that Samuel Clemens abhorred slavery….and yes, let’s put our collective heads in the sand and pretend people never actually talked like that.

Actually, in all honesty I liked her notion and wish it was a common practice! My husband and I stumbled on an old abandoned “Boot Hill” up in the wilds of Shasta County while surveying a few years ago….we spent out whole lunch break walking among the moldering old headstones, reading them and wondering what were these people’s stories. My favorite cultural “hint” in graveyards is the family plot from the 1800’s which goes like this:

Here lies Sam Smith 18xx-18xx
His Wife
Baby Smith

Posted by: Hooves-in-Maw at January 2, 2008 7:37 AM

I meant it WOULDN'T MATTER if it promoted Lynching...sorry, it's 5:30 am here.

Posted by: Hooves-in-Maw at January 2, 2008 7:39 AM

Sally has a split personality? Don't most non repentant murderers?

Posted by: heather at January 2, 2008 8:49 AM

Oooooo...careful Heather....

Sally and her co-inhabitants might come after you! And you don't really know how many you would face!

Posted by: Hooves-in-Maw at January 2, 2008 8:52 AM

Hooves, I know. Yep. I sure did put it out there:]

Posted by: heather at January 2, 2008 8:55 AM

Let's take Scott Peterson, for example. He's innocent. Well, according to himself.

Posted by: heather at January 2, 2008 8:57 AM

Ok guys....for a little levity:

Posted by: Hooves-in-Maw at January 2, 2008 8:59 AM

lol!

Posted by: heather at January 2, 2008 9:13 AM

Hey,

Didn't SALLY Field play Sybil in the movie?
Coincidence?
I'm just saying...

Posted by: mk at January 2, 2008 9:36 AM

MK, LOL again! MK, do you have that definition of sociopath handy? I'd like to read it again.

Posted by: heather at January 2, 2008 9:38 AM

Glibness/superficial charm.
Grandiose sense of self-worth.
Need for stimulation/proneness to boredom
Pathological lying
Conning/manipulative
Lack of remorse or guilt
Shallow affect
Callous/lack of empathy
Parasitic lifestyle
Poor behavioral controls
Promiscuous sexual behavior
Early behavior problems
Lack of realistic, long-term plans
Impulsivity
Irresponsibility
Failure to accept responsibility for own actions
Many short-term marital relationships
Juvenile delinquency
Revocation of conditional release
Criminal versatility (Hare, 1986)
(Narcissism also a characteristic)

"It must be remembered that even the most severely and obviously disabled psychopath presents a technical appearance of sanity, often with high intellectual capacities and not infrequently succeeds in business or professional activities for short periods, some for considerable periods .Although they occasionally appear on casual inspection as successful members of the community, as able lawyers, executive or physicians, they do not, it seems, succeed in the sense of finding satisfaction of fulfillment in their own accomplishments. Nor do they, when the full story is known, appear to find this in an ordinary activity."

Posted by: heather at January 2, 2008 9:42 AM

Here is what I found. It fits plenty of women I know.

Posted by: heather at January 2, 2008 9:44 AM

oops, I should say that it fits plenty of the women that I know.

Posted by: heather at January 2, 2008 9:49 AM

@Heather: I don't think that's a very fair thing for you to say. I myself have of those symptoms, and I most certainly am not a sociopath:

Need for stimulation/proneness to boredom
Shallow affect
Callous/lack of empathy
Poor behavioral controls
Early behavior problems

Though to be quite frank, I think it's best that you don't go around "diagnosing" people based on a list of symptoms from the internet.

Posted by: Rae at January 2, 2008 10:08 AM

Rae, MK said it first. I have a few traits myself, but it's more prominent in a post abortive woman.

Posted by: heather at January 2, 2008 10:13 AM

Parasitic lifestyle
Criminal versatility

Those two sound like fun. Come on Rae….be a Pepper too! After all, only us sociopaths enjoy playing with g'miballs!

Posted by: Hooves-in-Maw at January 2, 2008 10:22 AM

I never said that anyone on this board was a sociopath with the exception of SoMG and I don't think he'd argue with me.

What I said was that the ability to kill your child and claim that it was nothing was "Sociopathic behavior

Most of us exhibit sociopathic behavior at one time or another, but it doesn't make us sociopaths.

Being a sociopath means not having a conscience. It doesn't mean that in one area you are able to warp your conscience so as to rationalize a certain behavior. It means you just don't have one.

It's the complete lack of empathy and remorse for your actions. The inablility to even see them as wrong. In a way, Doug, the nicest guy in the world exhibits this by claiming that there is no moral right and wrong and that it's all based on individual desire. That is sociopathic thinking.

Not that I'm calling Doug a sociopath.

Most sociopaths are charming and pleasant. Sally's dual personalities is probably attributed more to something like alcohol, lack of sleep or out of whack hormones.

Posted by: mk at January 2, 2008 10:35 AM

And Rae,

I've said it before...it's not that you lack a conscience. It's that you have a highly tuned one. You have a great sense of right and wrong. I believe that when you see yourself as being callous it's really just out of frustration at things not being "right"...so you shut down. Otherwise you'd go nuts!

As for empathy...you are one of the most sensitive people that I know. Again, you probably shut off your feelings because they are too intense. Not because they are intense enough.

Posted by: mk at January 2, 2008 10:40 AM

I am impulsive and irresponsible at times. I think the MOST disturbing trait is lying! My post abortive pal lies so much, I think she believes herself. I catch her doing it all the time. This is why I am distancing myself from her in the New Year.

Posted by: heather at January 2, 2008 10:56 AM

My friend also has some good traits. She's a charmer and she is also generous.

Posted by: heather at January 2, 2008 10:58 AM

Not that I'm calling Doug a sociopath.

No problem, MK. I think it's more anti-social to advocate taking away the freedom that women have in the matter, in the first place.

There is PLENTY of moral right and wrong. It's just not "absolute" nor "inherent" or any of that imaginary stuff.

Hey - if you've ever been to Santa Fe, New Mexico then you've likely been in it, but if not, don't miss the Cathedral of Saint Francis. A mighty edfice and oh so beautiful. There once was another church, and what is left of it is a small chapel off to the side of the Cathedral - the "Conquistadora Chapel." It has a statue of the Madonna which Franciscan Friars brought to the "New World" in 1615. Amazing to see. My wife lit candles for her grandmother and one of her grandmother's nieces who just passed away.

Doug

Posted by: Doug at January 2, 2008 8:14 PM

Poor Doug, his fellow pro choicers, such as Sally and Laura, might just rub off on Doug. Care to defend or justify your fellow pro choicer, Laura, demeaning a death of a son, Doug? It's your choice Doug, but a decision would be nice. Or is your bonding of minds with Laura and Sally, so tight, as to not comment on Laura's thoughts concerning a tragic death of a son? Tell ya what Doug, if your on a pirate ship with Laura, you should sleep with one eye open! She's your matey, Doug!!

yllas, Laura needs no help from me on your score, nor does anybody else.

Laura has always had fun and been fun - I've known her from posting on message boards for years. If she seems "nasty" to you, then what word can you possibly come up with to describe yourself?

Heh - have to laugh there.

Happy New Year, (from the end of the old Santa Fe trail)

Doug

Posted by: Doug at January 2, 2008 8:18 PM

That’s a thought grenade Sally….wait for it.

Here lies Sam Smith 18xx-18xx
His Wife
Baby Smith

Posted by: Hooves-in-Maw at January 2, 2008 7:37 AM
........................

What was the cultural hint that you took away from that gravestone? Honestly. What culture did that refer to?

Posted by: Sally at January 2, 2008 9:23 PM

Gee Doug,
Hanging around with a simple minded character named Laura, who sums up life with a goes around comes around philosophy, does lower your esteem valuation.
Next thing ya know Doug, you'll be drinking wine bottled with a twist off cap, and making up reasons to defend those nasty wines vendors.
Imagine Laura as a wine, Doug, bottled with a twist off cap, filled with sulfides and bursting with a aroma best defined as nasty, but fun loving, by Doug, the vino valuator.
Again, the crowd gives a look at the eye patched ,pantaloon dressed Doug, and someone says, "He thinks he's Captain Morgan, but he really is Captain Blood".
Remember Doug, your for the decision to be a killin, and I'm for livin. Who do you think your hornswoggling, Doug? Yourself?

Posted by: yllas at January 3, 2008 6:23 AM

False premise, yllas. As far as Laura, you ain't even in the game yet.
......

What do you mean "next thing"? Good grief, man, you think I haven't drank from a screw-top bottle yet heh heh heh?

And anyway, it's not a matter of "nasty wine" anymore, necessarily. Technology has got us to the place where there are good reasons for using totally-sealed screw caps versus corks.

Though mind you, it does grate on me sensibilities, there, a bit, oh Worthy First Matey.
......

Are you channelling Rod Serling? Imagine if you will....
......

Your "blood" is you pretending that you should be able to tell women what to do in the matter of continuing pregnancies or not, and that's just silly.
........

That's just one more place where you are incorrect. I'm for the freedom of the woman; you're for what youwant in the matter, and that's not nearly a good enough reason. You can portray your "Twilight Zone" all you want, but women have the freedom they do, and that's a good thing.

Doug

Posted by: Doug at January 3, 2008 9:16 PM

Doug and Laura should just get married, and call it a day.

Posted by: heather at January 4, 2008 10:44 AM

Doug and Laura should just get married, and call it a day

Heather, I'm too old for her, though I sure like her.

I'm already married, in the first place.

And besides, I like you too.

Let's have that steak dinner some day.

Doug.