Butterfly

I spoke in Nashville last week, home of country music.

My good friend Brian Harris, president of TN Right to Life, handed me a cd and told me I needed to listen to it. He remarked as I well knew that pro-life songs we often receive are well-intentioned but lacking. But he said this one, Butterfly, was different.

butterfly2.jpgBrian was right. I am in love with this song. I have been playing it over and over. I think it can change minds and hearts and save lives. Click on the graphic, right, to hear Butterfly.

In fact, the duo singing it, Bluefield, emailed me that 3 different girls have contacted them at their MySpace site to say the song changed their mind.

Bluefield is currently on the road promoting Butterfly, and they have been surprised to meet reticence. They emailed Brian...

What is sad for us is to witness the resistance at radio for fear of political backlash. We were so careful to not be condeming so we could have a shot at reaching the masses in hope that some in that position would at least - reconsider. We had no idea that anyone at radio would be afraid to support a story song that embraces the saving of a life.

However, for every radio station that is hesistant there is another that is eager to make a difference. We are on the road now on a national radio tour trying to win the fight one spin at a time....

The positive response has been overwhelming.... [W]e believe many lives can be saved if more people had the opportunity to hear the song and if, only for a moment, change their prospective. Music can be a powerful tool to reach so many.

This song was spurred into creation after a show in CO and a visit with my old college roommate who painfully shared her remorse and daily sorrow from a hasteful decision she made years ago. We were so heavy-hearted from her testimony that within a few weeks we created Butterfly as a message of hope and healing....

[W]e are grateful and in great need of your support.

butterfly 4.jpgBluefield emailed me that Butterfly is currently in the 60s on the music charts. At #50 the label will pay for a video.

Bluefield thought bloggers on this site "could be a tremendous help." We need to contact country stations in every nook and cranny of the country and ask them over and over to play Butterfly. We need to spread the word to fellow pro-lifers to do the same.

Let's not allow the culture of death to bury this song.

Let's make Butterfly a hit.

Comments:

Doug, et al,

Jasper's quote of the day is quite disturbing...

"With live births after abortion occurring in 18 out of the 20 maternity units in the West Midlands alone, it is difficult to comprehend the numbers of babies around the country left fighting for their lives."

~Julia Millington of the pro-life group Alive and Kicking, as quoted by ThisIsLondon.co.uk, commenting on a study concluding that 1 in 30 babies aborted for medical reasons at hospitals in the West Midlands section of the UK is born alive. They lived an average of 80 minutes, although some survived for over 6 hours. Most were born between 20-24 weeks gestation.

Posted by: mk at April 1, 2008 5:53 AM

I could'nt play the song...need some kind of plug-ins...but here are the lyrics.

V1:
She took the test and failed it, we blamed each other for awhile, all our big plans had no little ones in 'em. We just weren't ready for a child. So we set the alarm for seven. There's a place right down the street, it was a night like any other night, but when I fell asleep.

Chorus:
I saw his face he had my eyes, I swear he had your smile, chasen a butterfly, he laughed and skipped and caught it softly placed it in my hands he said please don't kill the butterfly.

V2:
Well I woke up kinda shaken, tried not to wake her from her sleep. And then she quietly whispered, I just had this dream.

Chorus:
I saw his face he had your eyes I swear he had my smile, chasen a butterfly, he laughed and skippend and caughed it softly placed it in my hands, and said please, don't kill the butterfly.

V3:
The alarm went off at seven, but we laid in bed till noon, and she and I, spent the rest of the day, painting butterflies in his room.

Chorus:
I saw his face he had my eyes, I swear he had your smile, chasen a butterfly, he laughed and skipped and caught it softly placed it in my hands and said please, he said please don't kill the butterfly. Don't kill the butterfly.

Posted by: mk at April 1, 2008 6:03 AM

I agree - "difficult to comprehend." I don't see why it would be as high as 1 in 30 babies born alive in that situation. I'd think it'd be the specific procedures used and in Britiain they are....?

Posted by: Doug at April 1, 2008 6:41 AM

Doug,

I'm not sure they are so different here...it's the reporting of these incidents that screws with the statistics.

For whatever reason, Britain reports them. We don't. I'd be VERY surprised if our statistics were any different.

Val,

Got any info???

Posted by: mk at April 1, 2008 7:06 AM

Aww, I *love* the lyrics!

S.

Posted by: Anonymous at April 1, 2008 9:03 AM

Why am I in tears every time I come here?

Posted by: Carla at April 1, 2008 9:12 AM

That's a pretty song. I'm not a huge country fan, but it's nice. I don't think I would listen to it over and over, but like I said, I'm not a big country fan.

Posted by: Hieronymous at April 1, 2008 9:13 AM

Doug,

This is from Val...

Britain mandates by law all abortion numbers and statistics be reported accurately to the government and their audits include the number counts. This isn't limited to just abortion, but to many other medical procedures. This is why Britain knows.

The US does not mandate abortion numbers to reported. On medical records they will never write down that the baby was alive when born and then left alone to die, they will just write down that the abortion was successful. This was actually legal under the Stenburg v Carhart where it was wrote that (this is from the Born Alive Infants Protection Act 2001 - H.R. 2175.)

"the location of an infant
's body at the moment of death during a partial-birth abortion—delivered partly outside the body of the mother—to be of no legal significance in ruling on the constitutionality of the Nebraska law. Indeed, two members of the majority, Justices Stevens and Ginsburg, went so far as to say that it was ''irrational'' for the Nebraska legislature to take the location of the infant at the point of death into account. 9 Instead, implicit in the Carhart

decision was the pernicious notion that a partially-born infant's entitlement to the protections of the law is dependent upon whether or not the partially-born child's mother wants him or her."

This was interputed as meaning if the mother was in the hospital for an abortion, than it doesn't matter when or how the baby dies because the intention was for death. and then there is (also from H.R. 2175)

in
Planned Parenthood of Central New Jersey v. Farmer

,10 in the course of striking down New Jersey's partial-birth abortion ban. According to the Third Circuit, under Roe and Carhart, it is ''nonsensical'' and ''based on semantic machinations'' and ''irrational line-drawing'' for a legislature to conclude that an infant's location in relation to his or her mother's body has any relevance in determining whether that infant may be killed.11

Instead, the
Farmer Court repudiated New Jersey's classification of the prohibited procedure as being a ''partial birth,'' and concluded that a child's status under the law, regardless of his or her location, is dependent upon whether the mother intends to abort the child or to give birth. The Farmer Court stated that, in contrast to an infant whose mother intends to give birth, an infant who is killed during a partial-birth abortion is not entitled to the protections of the law because ''[a] woman seeking an abortion is plainly not seeking to give birth.''

So basically if the mother didn't "want" the baby then it didn't matter how or when the baby died. This would just be listed as a 2nd or 3rd trimester abortion with whatever method used with no account of how or when the baby died. This is why the Bon Alive Protection Act was so important - because no one could keep tabs on how many "murders" there were in comparison to "abortions".

Since this is the case, there is no way of knowing the numbers because no one is forced to report it and how many people do you know really want this reported?

Posted by: mk at April 1, 2008 9:28 AM

Hey Folks, I saw something in the Aurora Beacon this morning about how the Scheidlers are so disgusted at being unable to stop the Aurora PP clinic that they are shutting down both the Pro-Life Action League and Families Against Planned Parenthood, and will instead open a Back Yard Burger franchise in the area.

>Said Eric Scheidler regarding the move, "After so many years of banging your head against a wall like this, you just get increasingly tired and worn out. It is time to make sure my father has a financially secure retirement, and that April and I have a successful business that we can pass on to our children."

Posted by: Ray at April 1, 2008 9:30 AM

April Fools Ray! :-P

Posted by: Matthew at April 1, 2008 9:44 AM

If you guys can't get the video link to play (I couldn't either) you can play it directly from their myspace page. Just click on the myspace hyperlink in Jill's article and give it a minute to load...the player is on the right side of the page.

Posted by: Hooves-in-Maw at April 1, 2008 9:53 AM

- Buying it right on iTunes.

Posted by: Chris Arsenault at April 1, 2008 9:53 AM

Absolutely superb !!!!

Posted by: John McDonell at April 1, 2008 10:01 AM

Can't hear the song but will try it from home. Some things don't 'work' at work. ;)

Posted by: Andy at April 1, 2008 10:09 AM

Is this happening to everyone or is it just me, but I can't get the preview to work, I get:
Publish error in template 'Comment Preview Template': Error in tag: Error in tag: The MTCommentFields tag is no longer available; please include the Comment Form template module instead.

each time. I am using FF 2.0.0.13

So I just have to post without getting a look first.

Posted by: Andy at April 1, 2008 10:11 AM

Andy, it's been that way for several weeks now.

Posted by: Doug at April 1, 2008 10:15 AM

Read it and weep!

I LOVE it. But the song stuck in my mind is the music
from Obama's MAD WORLD.

Posted by: lesforlife at April 1, 2008 10:16 AM

Jill:

I have sent the request to my college daughter who is very active in InterVarsity.

I can guarantee you that Country Western radio stations will be inundated this week by calls from pro-life college students.

Do you know of a website that one can go to that would list the telephone numbers of Country Western radio stations around the country?

Hey pro-choicers, you should be doing this to. Can you help save some babies out there or will you do nothing?

Posted by: HisMan at April 1, 2008 10:33 AM

I don't have a problem with this song HisMan. I think it will be good for people to view their child as someone who will become a baby, toddler, etc... I think it will put things in perspective. I mean, if you want to have your own child, then abortion is probably a step in the wrong direction.

Posted by: Jess at April 1, 2008 10:41 AM

"And if just one pro-abort on this site objects or whines about this song, we will know for certain that their claim that they really are not pro-abortion is a crock."

What? If a pro-lifer comes on here and says every person who had sex out of wedlock should be put to death does that mean everyone here believes it?

Posted by: Jess at April 1, 2008 10:43 AM

"I'm glad some people changed their minds, they probably would have just regretted it later."

I mean regretted having the abortion. Hopefully they don't hear a song about a child-free lifestyle and follow that after the fact, lol. No, seriously if you even think you will regret it it's better to just not go through with the abortion.

Posted by: Jess at April 1, 2008 10:45 AM

When you do regret it, it's a little late dontcha think?

Posted by: Carla at April 1, 2008 11:00 AM

Jill you're always on the same page. I'm working on an article today on this for LifeNews.com and seeing your post I'll put some quotes from you about the song in it. Nice to see someone else wanting to acknowledge this outstanding song.

Posted by: Steven Ertelt at April 1, 2008 11:12 AM

"You don't think you will regret it, Jess. You aren't told that you might. It doesn't even enter your mind. It's "just a choice" remember? Like what to have for breakfast."

Every pro-lifer here says you will regret it or you're psychotic. I'm telling you to listen to your heart, if you think you'll regret it don't do it.

"It's "just a choice" remember? Like what to have for breakfast."

Or it's a choice like, whether or not to get married, go to college, move across country, have another baby, don't have any, change jobs. Whatever you decide it will certainly be a bigger decision then what to eat for breakfast. And having a baby should be a BIG decision, not just, oh I feel like getting pregnant today ho hum...

Posted by: Jess at April 1, 2008 11:29 AM

I was in Mississippi last week for Easter Break. Did a lot of civil war site seeing. Heard a story that really exemplifies the ludicrousness of the "location of the baby" argument...

Just one more example of how slavery and abortion are analogous.

From the diary of Osborn H. Oldroyd

JUNE 28TH.—The boys of the 20th left at Vicksburg joined our regiment to-day. We were very anxious to hear how the siege was progressing, and, to our surprise, learned that it was going right on as usual, without our assistance. It was interesting to hear of the blowing up of Fort ‘Hill by our division, but we did not ascertain the number killed, though the explosion
Hoisted two or three.
And blew a darky free
From slavery to freedom.

This negro, blown up with other chattels in the fort, was dropped into our lines and taken to General Logan’s headquarters, none the worse for his trip. When asked what he saw, he said, “As I was comin’ down I met massa gwine up.” Nothing, however, was gained by blowing up the fort, except planting the stars and stripes thereon, by our troops who made the charge after the explosion ; but our colors were removed, for safety, after dark. While our men lay all the afternoon on the side of the fort, the rebels threw into their ranks hand-grenades which killed and wounded quite a number. Our boys, however, would occasionally catch them and toss them back to the place from which they came, just in time to explode among their owners.

Posted by: mk at April 1, 2008 11:50 AM

Same slave. Same human being. One minute he's a confederate slave on the grey side, and the next he's a free man, blown over to the union side.

Location, location, location.

Same slave. Same human being. The difference between slave and free man was just a few hundred feet. The difference between life and death? Just a few inches...

Posted by: mk at April 1, 2008 11:53 AM

I am involved in the Sumner County Right to Life Chapter from Hendersonville, TN. I just heard "Butterfly" for the first time and Oh my gosh!!!! I am not even a fan of country music but I see this a hit. The reason I do not listen to country music because it so depressing, but this song tells a story about a beautiful unborn child who wants to see our beautiful world throught his own eyes--freely and willingly. I will be promoting this song and duo as much as I can. Remember, God is Prolife. Thank you

Posted by: Merilyn Perry at April 1, 2008 12:00 PM

This is a beautiful song! I'll contact the nearest Country station.

Jill, have you have listened to "Sometimes Miracles Hide" by Bruce Carroll? There is also a beautiful book with the lyrics and letters from parents of children with special needs. My book came with the CD, but I don't see the CD mentioned with book on Amazon:

Anyway, it is a beautiful song, especially if you are fortunate to have a child with Down syndrome (book/cd mostly geared toward that scenario). It brings tears to my eyes every time I listen to it. Unfortunately, I don't think you can hear it on-line. Here are the lyrics:

They were so excited
It was coming to be
Two people so in love
Now soon there would be three

For Many years they'd planned it
Now it would soon be true
So she was picking out the pink clothes
and he was looking at the blue

The call came unexpected
The doctor had bad news
Some tests came back and things weren't right
He said, "You're gonna have to choose"

"I'll wait a week for your decision"
Then the words cut like a knife
"I'm sure everyone will understand if you want to end its life"

Thought they were badly shaken
They had just one choice
They knew God creates no accidents
and they were sure they heard His voice saying,

(chorus)
Sometimes miracles hide
God will wrap some blessings in disguise
You may have to wait this lifetime
To see the reasons with your eyes
'Cause sometimes miracles hide

It seemed before they knew it
The appointed day arrived
With eager apprehension
They could barely hold inside

The first time they laid eyes on her
Confirmed the doctor's fears
But they held on to God's promises
'Cause they were sure they both could hear

(chorus)

Though she was not like the other girls
They thought she was the best
And though all the years of struggle
Neither whispered one regret.

On the first day that she started school
And took her first bus ride
They remembered the words that God had spoke
And they both broke down and cried

See to them it just did not matter
Why some things in life take place
They just knew the joy they felt
When they looked into her face

They learned sometimes miracles hide
They said, "God wrapped our blessing in disguise"
We may have to wait this lifetime
To see the reasons in our eyes
But we know sometimes miracles hide.

Posted by: Ellie at April 1, 2008 12:05 PM

MK,
Mississippi? Home of Oprah. How was the trip?

Posted by: carder at April 1, 2008 1:13 PM

Ellie,
Wow. The words got me. What a beautiful song.

Posted by: Carla at April 1, 2008 1:26 PM

MK:

You were ONE state over from me and didnt come say "hello"...I am crushed :o(

Posted by: midnite678 at April 1, 2008 1:55 PM

Midnite,

Where the heck have ya been? I've emailed ya a couple of times and was startin' ta worry!

I told Bethany where we were going and I guess you guys are pretty far from vicksburg. Bummer. I thought of you so many times...

Posted by: mk at April 1, 2008 2:27 PM

I second that where the heck have ya been comment, Midnite.

I have missed youuuuu!!

Posted by: Elizabeth at April 1, 2008 4:07 PM

Why? The lyrics are insipid and inaccurate. And I don't even like country music.

So I'll just stick with what I was already doing to "save babies" - helping to ensure a safe place for moms leaving abusive relationships, advocating for affordable health care, etc., so forth ...

Posted by: Anonymous at April 1, 2008 4:14 PM

hi, everybody.

this is jennifer & rick of the band bluefield. thank you so much for your response to our song 'butterfly'. we are very grateful to jill for sharing this song with you & rallying for support. we have been overwhelmed with the stories so many women have been sharing with us upon hearing it and we are so hopeful of the change it can bring.

for those of you that don't have the required plug-in to play the song just click on this link to our myspace & it starts playing automatically. http://www.myspace.com/bluefieldband

we appreciate each of you for making a difference with every inspired call you make. it's empowering to know we are all in this together and that if this song makes it to those who need it most, it will be because you helped make it happen. we graciously thank you.... : )

all our best,
jennifer & rick

Posted by: Jennifer & Rick at April 1, 2008 5:07 PM

Jennifer & Rick,
No, THANK YOU! & May God bless you & your band for shedding light on the darkness!

Carla,
I'm with ya' here....I teared up right at the chorus line, and had chills througout the ENTIRE song!

What a beautiful song, with awesome vocals, and a powerful message!!!!

Posted by: JLM at April 1, 2008 7:39 PM

how about a rock and roll version?

Posted by: Down with PD Sk8tr at April 1, 2008 9:06 PM

Jennifer & Rick:

What courage you have shown.

We need more people like you two who have been gifted with extraordinary talent and are willing to use it to get the message out that all life is precious.

I am doing my best to promote your song.

Thank you!

Posted by: HisMan at April 1, 2008 9:11 PM

Jennifer and Rick,
Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!! As a post-abortive mom I can only listen to your song and cry. I will be praying for the words to touch many more hearts and change minds!!!

Posted by: Carla at April 1, 2008 9:24 PM

This song will save lives. I'm a sidewalk counselor on the streets outside of abortion mills for almost 30 years. Everytime anything likes this comes into the public area things get easier for me to talk women into keeping their chidren. PLEASE get this on the radio!!!! The babies need all the help we can give them.
Jo Scott

Posted by: Jo Scott at April 1, 2008 10:43 PM

Jo Scott, 10:43,

God bless you for your work!

Posted by: Janet at April 1, 2008 11:05 PM

Yes, Jo.
Thank you for saving many, many lives in 30 years!!

Posted by: Carla at April 2, 2008 7:51 AM

Didn't like the song. =/ I think it has to do with the sound.

Posted by: Stephanie at April 2, 2008 1:20 PM

Sister Jill,

Can u please snail mail me a copy of bluefield s butterfly cd so i can hear the butterfly song?

IN christ