Justice served in the Roderick King vandalism case?

roderick 3.jpgOn May 1 University of Wisconsin-Stevens Point Student Government Association Senator Roderick King was caught on tape vandalizing a pro-life display of crosses commemorating children killed by abortion.

UWSP administration had given Pointers for Life authorization to display the exhibit. This didn't deter King from destroying it, nor did knock-kneed campus police....

6 days later the UWSP administration issued a statement that "[u]niversity procedures are being followed" for discipline but it couldn't say what. And what about King's leadership position on UWSP's SGA? How could the SGA possibly retain him when he defied not only university policy but the rule of law against destroying property? When I wrote my 1st post on this disgrace on May 7, the UWSP SGA had not disciplined or removed King - almost a week after the spectacle.

Today reader Marc sent me the following email exchange he had with SGA Senator Claire Smith that gives a good idea of the "discipline" SGA meted King - likely an "adda boy."

Smith has a high threshhold for violence, considering King's actions of pulling and throwing crosses from the ground nonviolent.

Smith also considered King "in the right" and PFL at fault for King's temper tantrum due to an unnamed "technicality."

So I expect SGA members to be meeting up at some local bar tonight to celebrate King's boorish behavior. What punks... some of whom wouldn't even be here today if not for pro-lifers. And what a school. Click to enlarge:

rodney.jpg

[[Photo courtesy of the Wausau Daily Herald]

Comments:

Claire needs to stop majoring in French and take some grammar 101 courses.

Posted by: Nathan Sheets at May 9, 2008 3:42 PM

Nathan, lol. UWSC not only supports young criminals but young illiterates.

Posted by: Jill Stanek at May 9, 2008 3:56 PM

Jill, the video in your previous post no longer plays. The user disabled embedding. Do you have any idea why? I'd think they'd want it seen as much as possible.

I'm sure not surprised by this. Hypocrites, all of them.

Posted by: Steve at May 9, 2008 4:03 PM

Are you really surprised that they're not the brightest bunch?

For crying out loud, it's STEVEN'S POINT...one of the crappier (if not the crappiest) schools in the University of Wisconsin system.

Posted by: Rae at May 9, 2008 4:07 PM

"Senator" Claire seems like a great future candidate for the US Speaker of the House.

Posted by: Andrew at May 9, 2008 4:22 PM

Liberal indoctrination into double standardism begins early.

Vote early and vote often....

I suspect now we should call for a boycott of Wisconsin cheese. Ah, never liked the stuff nayway.

Can crappy weather be boycotted...?

Posted by: HisMan at May 9, 2008 4:29 PM

So is the fear of liberals the same fear we had of communists? You know, the red scare and all? Or is this kind of fear totally different?

Posted by: Edyt at May 9, 2008 4:52 PM

Had this been a memorial display for soldiers killed in Iraq, those who died from AIDS or something not as controversial, this would have made the National News.

I think community service for a crisis pregnancy center would what I would choose for 'punishment'.

Posted by: LizFromNebraska at May 9, 2008 4:58 PM

Once again, a liberal proabort, has mouthed off.
Excuse me, MARC, has to re-evaluate HIS belief system?
Then again, I guess if you consider dismembering, suctioning off, and dicing up 1.5 million babies a year not to be a violent act, you probably have a warped view of what constitutes violence anyway.

Unless of course, you live in Canada and then you can pi$$ all over our war memorials and we really don't do ANYTHING to you. Did I mention we don't have ANY abortion law in Canada.....

Posted by: Patricia at May 9, 2008 5:08 PM

8,000 marched for life in Canada I read, Patricia. Did you make it there?

Posted by: Carla at May 9, 2008 5:41 PM

Edyt:

Abortion kills Communists, Liberals, Dems, Reps, boys, girls.

It an equal oportunity killer so you shouldn't have any problem with it's expression of equality.

Posted by: HisMan at May 9, 2008 5:55 PM

It is negligence if the school does not see to it he is disciplined for vandalizing an approved display. That kind of cowardice in enforcing order will likely lead to repeated attacks and an unsafe environment for the entire campus.

Posted by: truthseeker at May 9, 2008 6:15 PM

LizFromNebraska:

Not really.

Posted by: Jen R at May 9, 2008 7:21 PM

This act will not be punished. The only reason he did it is because he knows that the campus environment is hostile towards the pro-life movement, and supportive of those pro-death. Conservative-and even some who share 'progressive' views and just aren't radical enough for university-level fruitcakes-are outrightly assaulted on campuses across the country with little or no repercussions. Is it any wonder though, considering these kids (but don't get me wrong here, I'm only 27 myself) are just espousing the beliefs of the professors endoctrinating them, who also happen to be running the whole affair?
Peter Singer comes to mind...

Posted by: xalisae at May 9, 2008 7:34 PM

I don't know, xalisae, I think he might have done it even if he had an expectation of being disciplined. That seemed like a very emotionally-driven response.

Posted by: Jen R at May 9, 2008 8:03 PM

HI Carla,
No i didn't. And really 8000 is a sad representation. but it's a big demonstration for us Canadians who don't like to make a big fuss about anything.
Our parish sent a packed bus up to Ottawa. I had to work that day though.
Alot of my friends go up to protest.

Posted by: Patricia at May 9, 2008 8:23 PM

Jill,
Can you forward me a copy of that e-mail from Claire. mk has my address. thx

Posted by: truthseeker at May 9, 2008 9:06 PM

Edyt:

Abortion kills Communists, Liberals, Dems, Reps, boys, girls.

Posted by: HisMan at May 9, 2008 5:55 PM
*************
Since its not possible for mindless insensate nonviable oblivious tissue to hold a political position, or even have a thought thats a typically absurd assertion on your part.

Posted by: TexasRed at May 9, 2008 11:47 PM

Should we locate a "liberal" or "pro-choice" gene, would you want to abort those...?

Posted by: Edyt at May 10, 2008 12:55 AM

Nope.

Posted by: HisMan at May 10, 2008 1:15 AM

Claire Smith's comments basically place the blame on the pro-life organization. In other words - the victim asked for it.

Edyt - do you think that's a fair assessment of Ms. Smith's response?

Posted by: Chris Arsenault at May 10, 2008 12:20 PM

As some of you know, I am the admin of the pro choice group on Facebook, which has around 100,000 members.

On May 7th, one of those members posted the following:

"Topic: Roderick King and his AMAZING Pro-Choice Stance

May 7, 2008 at 2:53 PM
Have you heard of the recent defemation to slimy pro-life protest at University of Wisconsin-Steven's point?
Well, brave one Roderick King stood up to a discusing pro-life rally in which 4000 white crosses were placed on a yard near the schools health center. He went to the display and pulled out as many white crosses as possible, while saying "You do not have the right to control a woman's body.""

_____________________________

You may all be surprised and pleased to know that this post was greeted with complete and total disagreement from the pro choicers on the board, generating over 350 comments. Only one other person who commented agreed with this poster. Most spoke of their respect for peaceful protests and the right of everyone to participate in them.

As my response to this thread of Jill's, and to show you my response to the post on my facebook group, I thought I'd show you my response to her:

"Ahhh. So this was the post. I got a couple of PM's over the last couple of days that seemed like they were totally out of the blue, about being a pro death hypocrite, etc. Which is ridiculous regardless, but all the same, since my name is attached to this board, and people who are too cowardly to join the group and respond to the poster would rather message me personally (Hi Cowards!! You know who you are!!), I will address this post.

The basis for the majority of us to support the legality of abortion is not that we think its awesome and super, but that we believe the Constitution grants women (and all people) the right to govern their own bodies. It's not about not thinking a fetus is human or that it does or does not deserve to live. We're not talking about what someone does or does not deserve here. We're talking about the fundamental right, protected by the Constitution, to not be forced to do something to or with our bodies that we do not consent to. We believe that includes pregnancy. Others do not believe pregnancy qualifies because it includes another life. Hence the endless debate.

Nevertheless, that same Constitution grants all Americans the right to peaceful protest. It was peaceful protest that helped bring about women's suffrage, the end of segregation, and improved rights for homosexuals, etc. We cannot be for it when it suits us, but against it when it doesn't. If its not harming anyone (ie Fred Phelps), it is incredibly hypocritical to vandalize or stop it.

Speaking specifically about the abortion debate, it also makes us look insecure in our position. Abortion is legal today, yesterday, and will be for at least the near future. Does that mean we should be ambivalent about efforts to change that? Absolutely not. But at the same time, if we need to knock down protests against our view, what does that say about us and how strong and right we feel we may be? If pro choicers were truly secure in their position, had the education and facts to back up their opinion, and had no question in their mind that the view they held is correct, why would a bunch of crosses stuck in the ground bother them?

When we react with vitriol and vandalism, what are we telling them? "F you! I'll kick this over because I'm right!!". How mature is that? All it does is provide fuel to their flame, and make us look like a bunch of angry cretins. The only thing that would prove them wrong in this case would be ambivalence. A complete lack of reaction. "Okay, so you put up crosses. Good job. Now whats your point? Everything dies? Yeah we knew that already."

When I was 8 and my cat died, I made a little white cross in my yard for him. You allow a different meaning to be assigned to something thats acutally pretty benign if you let it get to you.

If that organization honestly thought a bunch of crosses would stop a girl from having an abortion, they obviously have a very oversimplified idea of what a woman considers before making such a huge decision. Destroying their protest only communicates to them that they are making a valid point, if it makes someone angry enough to destroy it.

I like being able to protest things. You start promoting or allowing that to be a conditional right, you open up the door to have protests for things that you believe are right to be quashed. That's no good.

and in the words of the amazing and immortal Forrest Gump
...and thats about all I have to say about that."

Posted by: Amanda at May 10, 2008 1:58 PM

Amanda,
I honestly appreciate your position about a right to choose. I also appreciate your statement that " It's not about not thinking a fetus is human or that it does or does not deserve to live". Having said that, some choice to kill will always carry at a minimum a "stigma" because most people like others who "save" life and don't like people who kill life. I believe that is why women do not like to talk openly about choosing abortion (say with their children etc.) cause the fetus does deserve to live. Thanks for your post though, it is good heartening to know that this guy has the support of less then 1% of the pro-choicers who posted on your facebook.

Posted by: truthseeker at May 10, 2008 2:42 PM

Except an unborn baby is NOT your body Amanda.

Posted by: Patricia at May 10, 2008 7:52 PM

Posted by: Edyt at May 9, 2008 4:52 PM

What is the point?

That liberals, like Soviets are such losers that they self destruct faster than you can destroy them?

Oh yeah, thanks to birth control and abortion, they are losing population at an alarming rate.

Posted by: Anonymous at May 10, 2008 9:30 PM

Anonymous,

I was born to conservative parents. Liberals aren't "losing" population by aborting or using contraceptives, in fact, I'm sure you'll see lots of new liberals emerging from conservative, right-wing parents, as well as conservatives emerging from liberal parents.

The fact of the matter remains that a person can choose what they want to believe -- whether those beliefs fall on the left or the right, or like most of the population, in the middle -- and being born into a conservative family does not mean you will share all their same values.

My sincere hope is that the next few generations are better educated in the fields of math and science, not to mention history (for we all know what happens) and will no longer believe the outright lies and propaganda put forth in attempts to slander good-intentioned people and divide our country and further separate us from the truth. (That goes for both liberals and conservatives.)

Posted by: Edyt at May 11, 2008 12:32 AM

As a former senator of the UWSP SGA, I would have to tell you all that we are required to follow a due process according to our constitution. What kind of body would we be if we did not follow our own rules? He cannot just simply be removed because of this, in turn breaking our rules. An eye for an eye makes the whole world go blind.
As a loving Christian woman, I beg you to understand that his actions are not a representative sampling of the university's student body. In fact, the outrage that has come of this even has led to the necessity of his email being changed and having his living conditions protected from harassment. Let's not stoop down that low.
I loved my time spent in SGA, and trust me, his actions were not a reflection of the sentiments of SGA. We are a nonpartisan body that does not take stands on issues.
Though I am disappointed in the actions of Roderick King and find his behavior deplorable, I would expect a "fair trial" if I were in any sort of hot seat.
One thing I want you all to remember, God wants us all to forgive... This may be the hardest part, but it is, no doubt, the most crucial.
More information can be found at www.uwsp.edu/stuorg/sga
Here you can find our constitution.
Thanks for your time, and God bless.

Posted by: Kirsten at May 11, 2008 10:37 PM

Thanks for taking the time to post Kirsten. But the actions in the video kind-of speaks for itsel as far as evidence. If Rod goes public with an apology and admits his fault then the healing process can start and he can be forgiven. If not then it would be irresponsible for you or anybody in SGA or UWSP student affairs to support the him. It would be inappropriate not to at least suspend him as a member of SGA while due process takes it's course. After all, the video plainly shows him vandalizing an approved display.

Posted by: truthseeker at May 11, 2008 11:31 PM

Kirsten -

If Claire Smith's reply had more of the tone yours did, it may have been easier for us to believe there was actually a chance he'd get anything other than a pat on the back from the administration for what he did.

Posted by: Amanda at May 12, 2008 7:59 AM

It is comforting to know that most proaborts do not support violence against prolife displays. However, as long as there are institutions that condone and tolerate such violence, there is the possibility of a physical confrontation between the two sides that could get rather bloody. When we have no civil recourse to violence against us, there are those among us who will respond in kind.

Posted by: Doyle at May 12, 2008 3:23 PM

HisMan, then I get your share of Wisconsin cheese.

Posted by: Doug at May 12, 2008 9:05 PM

Edyt @ 12:32 AM

I agree - your political stance is not really determined by the house you grew up in, but is based on your own worldview, which can change over time, and often does. (Usually leaning more conservative as we age.)

Then you said:

I find myself agreeing with you here - but there are two sides to every story (and we see plenty of that on this blog!) yet for some reason, it appears as though you believe there is one single "truth".

So what would you suggest Edyt to arrive at common ground?

How do we get rid of all the lies and propaganda?

Because some believe one thing is the truth and others believe the opposite is true - they can't both be true.

I'm curious to see how you would fix that.

Posted by: Chris Arsenault at May 13, 2008 5:32 AM

The road to hell is paved with good intentions

Merely intending to do good, without actually doing it, is of no value

The New Dictionary of Cultural Literacy, Third Edition. 2002.

To do good one must also understand what good is.

Posted by: Janet at May 13, 2008 7:59 AM

No matter where you go, there you are.

Posted by: Doug at May 13, 2008 4:29 PM

No matter where you go, there you are.

Doug: OK, that was a good comeback to mine.:) So, it's a Star Trek quote? I should have guessed, but I had to google it!

Bet'cha didn't know there is an earlier source for this quote....
at http://www.figmentfly.com/bb/popculture4.html

According to Danial M, "The quotation is much more ancient ... from around 1440 AD. You can find the following quote at http://www.christianitytoday.com/le/2006/002/14.73.html :

"So, the cross is always ready and waits for you everywhere. You cannot escape it no matter where you run, for wherever you go you are burdened with yourself. Wherever you go, there you are." —Thomas a Kempis, Imitation of Christ, ca. A.D. 1440

(Doug, note: cross=suffering)

Posted by: Janet at May 13, 2008 10:42 PM

A university system should embrace different viewpoints. However, I doubt too many Christians are taking apart displays on mythical characters or Darwinian items. "Tolerance" is a sham, only applies to those with a politically correct viewpoint.

Sorry if I appear to be a "Boor". My mom loves me. I was adopted.

Posted by: T Kircher at May 17, 2008 7:51 PM

This is just another example of the shame that is the American university system. If this was not at a university, he would have been arrested, not pampered by the pansy-ass student government.

Posted by: Mike at May 27, 2008 12:15 PM

"It is a poverty to decide that a child must die so that you may live as you wish" -Mother Teresa

The true shame of it is that most abortions aren't about a woman who was gotten pregnant because of rape. Moreover, its a procedure of convenience. They have consensual relations, and don't want the consequences. The whole "design" is for reproduction, so when the outcome follows suit, they would rather kill an innocent life than live with the consequences of their own doing. I truly feel sorry for those who are forced against their will, but for those who support the "freedom" of the willing participants in a "process of nature" (reproduction) then pardon me, but you've bumped your head. If they don't want to get burned, then they shouldn't stick their hand in the fire.

Posted by: Brent at June 8, 2008 12:26 AM