Obama: "Lay off my wife"?

(UPDATE, 5-21, 2:30a: I've separated this post into 2, spotlighting Michelle Obama's fear-mongering fundraising letter here that leeched off the partial birth abortion ban so it wouldn't get buried.)

Michelle Obama has been speaking on her husband's behalf for years, interjecting her own ideologies along the way. That's fine.

But it's not fine to suddenly declare her untouchable, as Barack Obama attempted yesterday on Good Morning America, when complaining about an ad the TN GOP is airing that repeats back Michelle's own anti-American words. Here's the GMA clip:

Michelle can say whatever she wants unchallenged? I thought Barack and Michelle were feminists? Does Barack not think Michelle equipped to debate issues she espouses? Where are the feminist groups decrying Obama as sexist for trying to shield his Harvard-educated attorney wife, as if she is too weak to defend herself?...

Speaking of Harvard, Michelle wrote a fundraising letter during her husband's 2004 US Senate campaign claiming the partial birth abortion ban "is clearly unconstitutional" and "a flawed law."

I'd like to ask Michelle to explain her legal opinion about this law the Supremes went on to declare constitutional. I'd like to ask Michelle how in the world she could in good conscience raise money from fear-mongering about this barbaric abortion procedure.

But Barack apparently thinks I might make Michelle cry. It's fine to kill late-term babies, but we can't risk hurting Michelle's feelings about it. Click to enlarge:

Slide 1 michelle obama pba letter.jpgSlide 2 michelle obama pba letter.jpg

Comments:

Questions to Michelle Obama are fair game. Unjustified attacks are inappropriate. Obama can't, and shouldn't, stop either.

Posted by: Hal at May 20, 2008 10:35 AM

Obama has to realize that she will no longer be a "private" citizen IF she's guning for the First Lady position...

Doesn't he realize that they're playing in the big leagues now?

Posted by: RSD at May 20, 2008 10:44 AM

The Obama clone is a lawyer.

The Obama clone is a big girl.

This is the Big Leagues.

As long as she speak politically, she's fair game.

Get over it and stop whining.

Posted by: HisMan at May 20, 2008 10:53 AM

Obama is naive to think his wife is "off-limits" when she campaigns for him. Come on!

Posted by: Mary at May 20, 2008 11:03 AM

Hal said: Questions to Michelle Obama are fair game.

I agree. I didn't care for the way he interrupted his wife who was beginning to answer the question. A little rude, IMO. Obama's looking pretty tired. I don't know how these candidates can stand up to the scrutiny for as long as they do.

Posted by: Janet at May 20, 2008 11:17 AM

The good thing about the "Obama hate-o-rama" is is never gets old or tedious (sarcasm).

Nearly six more months to go before there is a president-elect. That means about 100 more hate pieces on Obama on Jill's website. (5 per week, times 22 weeks).

The odd thing to me is that anyone who could be influenced by these racist smears would never vote for an African-American anyway, so why bother? Just because it is fun?

It is ironic that the anti-choice extremists wish to cultivate African-Americans as their next constitutency (by the weekly rants about "genocide" by PP), but can't resist smears against a candidate who gets more than 90% of their votes.

Posted by: Anonymous at May 20, 2008 11:51 AM

With all due respect, if Michelle can dish it, then she needs to take it.

Posted by: carder at May 20, 2008 12:03 PM

Anonymous at May 20, 2008 11:51 AM

Anon is the coward who comments as ->"Bystander" as well....who doesn't have the guts to post on his/her own name. Another liberal throwing the "racist" accusation around again.

Posted by: Jasper at May 20, 2008 12:09 PM

Jasper,

A lot of you anti-choice extremists are extremely angry and unstable people.

If just trying to keep my family safe from harm by crazies is "cowardice", so be it.

Posted by: Bystander at May 20, 2008 12:17 PM

Totally agree.
If Michelle Obamba is going to go out there and campaign on behalf of her husband, she should take the heat for her ridiculous stupid comments.

I am sick and tired of her already and can't wait until they lose.

Posted by: Sandy at May 20, 2008 12:40 PM

Perhaps in a fantasy world family members, friends, business aquaintances are off limits. We have a time honored tradition of picking apart the lives of our politacal leaders. I should think one had better have a tough hide to live in the white house. I would like to hear an explanation of what Michelle said from Michelle.
I am offended by the way Obama seems to have 'hushed' his wife during this interview. While such an attitude would be expected and unremarkable from a 'conservative', it is not from a man hoping for my vote.

Posted by: Sally at May 20, 2008 1:06 PM

Good news for all you right-to-lifers: Ted Kennedy has a (malignant) brain tumor. Break out the champagne.

Posted by: SoMG at May 20, 2008 1:18 PM

Maybe Michelle should stop stumping!

Hi Sally!!

Posted by: Carla at May 20, 2008 1:27 PM

SoMG,

Its been absolute mayhem here ( I work at the hospital where Ted Kennedy is admitted). The news vans have been outside 24/7, are taking away patient parking, blocking walk ways, doorways, getting in the way of ambulances and employees, and just being a general nuisance.

On the other hand, I was behind Mitt Romney in the coffee line this morning...which was odd, but maybe kinda cool. I was still half asleep, and pissed off that I had to shove my way through crowds of reporters to get to the coffee cart, I get there, and stand in line for a few seconds and notice EVERYONE walking by is staring. I thought maybe I had a booger hanging out of my nose, but then I looked up and noticed Mitt Romney was standing in front of me.

We have celebrities here all the time, its the 3rd best rated hospital in the country... but I've never seen ANYTHING like this...

They can say what they want about him... he is a well respected and popular man, across all political lines.

Posted by: amanda at May 20, 2008 1:31 PM

Holy cow Amanda! That's crazy!

Posted by: Bobby Bambino at May 20, 2008 1:34 PM

Posted by: amanda at May 20, 2008 1:31 PM

Seriously?

Posted by: Sandy at May 20, 2008 1:38 PM

SoMg,

Why would you assume that finding a person diagnosed with a malignant brain tumor be a cause for celebration for pro-lifers?

Just goes to show your ignorance of the pro-life stand.

I am hoping this episode in his life changes his heart on what he stands for...With Life, there is Hope.

Posted by: RSD at May 20, 2008 1:39 PM

Hi Carla!

If Michelle can't open her mouth without sticking her foot in it, she might consider refraining from public speaking. I would like to hear an elabortaion on Michelle's lack of pride starting with when it was that she considered herself an adult. Surely something has been done in this country that she can be proud of in whatever time frame she was referencing.

Posted by: Sally at May 20, 2008 1:41 PM

Posted by: Jasper at May 20, 2008 12:09 PM

Posted by: Hal at May 20, 2008 1:43 PM

I just got this email for the 3rd time since he was admitted on Saturday:

I don't get why they can't just keep the press off of the hospital property... but oh well.

"Dear MGH employees,

As a world-class academic medical center, the MGH often cares for patients who are well-known, highly recognized public figures. These high-profile patients and their specific health issues attract extraordinary public interest and media attention as was proven from the last few days.

Maintaining patient confidentiality for every patient we serve is a vital part of our code of conduct and is essential to maintaining the trust and respect that is so valued in the caregiver-patient relationship. It is also a federal law, enacted by the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) privacy rule.

Accessing medical information for reasons other than providing care or based on a legitimate need to know to perform oneís job is a clear breach of patient confidentiality. Sharing this information inappropriately with people who are not involved with the patientís care, including the media, also is a very serious breach. Doing so results in corrective action, which could include termination."

The national news vans are showing up now too... haven't seen them since Ahhhhhnold was here. Wacky.

Posted by: Amanda at May 20, 2008 1:46 PM

Sally,

We agree! This woman is a Harvard grad, she made 6 figures, and she's whining about how mean the country is?
You're right, if she doesn't want the heat then stay home and put a sock in it!

Posted by: Mary at May 20, 2008 1:50 PM

Anon 11:51am

Can you give some examples of these "racist smears" ?

Posted by: Mary at May 20, 2008 1:51 PM

Bystander:

Your type kills babies in the womb and we are angry and unstable?

Obma's wife is out there making political speeches and therefore every single thing she says are subject to scrutiny. If she is going to be an unstable 1st lady we need to know it. If's she gonna go to Iran and do a Jimmy Carter over there we need to know that too.

We saw what having two lawyers in high office at the same time did do this country. I am not sure we can endure nor survive another lawyer couple in the White House.

The Founding Fathers purposefully made the election process difficult and tedious. Michele Obama's antics and Barack Obama's responses are typical of people who are very inexperienced and are not ready for high office. The stakes are too high and they disqualify themselves in the process.

Posted by: HisMan at May 20, 2008 1:52 PM

I once met Bobby Kennedy.

Of all the Kennedy boys he was the best.

It's a shame the Kennedy's have had so much tragedy in their family and now Ted. One can only wonder why this is the case.

I hope Ted makes a fast recovery.

Posted by: HisMan at May 20, 2008 1:58 PM

I can't understand what Jill was blogging about. Barack knows Michelle is campaigning and he doesn't think she shouldn't be challenged. But at the same time, he's dealt with a lot of smears (often unjustified) and I can fully understand why Barack is protective of her and his kids. I do the same thing with family and friends. You bash them, the claws come out.

Are all of you different? Do you not care when your family and friends get attacked?

Posted by: Edyt at May 20, 2008 2:06 PM

Mary,

I certainly don't think that Michelle needs to stay at home. I think that if she wishes to forgo reading text written by speach writers, as most stumpers seem to do rely upon, she should be expected/allowed to explain her words. Certainly not shushed!

Posted by: Sally at May 20, 2008 2:12 PM

Edyt,

The man is running for president. He better develop a tough hide and do it fast. The same with his wife. What are these "smears" you refer to?
Of course we defend our families, but if a family member is speaking publicly you better be prepared for those who may be very critical of what he/she says.
Obama whined to Maureen Dowd that he was sensitive about his ears, his ears!, and didn't appreciate her ridicule. Good grief man what will you do when things really get rough!
We enjoy freedom of speech in this country and that includes the right to criticize Michelle Obama. Live with it Barack.

Posted by: Mary at May 20, 2008 2:14 PM

Posted by Hal: "Jasper, if that is your real name, perhaps you haven't noticed that most of us post other assumed names. "Hal" is just as Anonymous as "Anonymous."

Goodness! I didn't know I was supposed to make up a name to post here.... maybe I'm just proud of Jill's blog and what she stands for, and actually don't mind being identified with her and the prolife community in general? Yeah, that could be it....

Posted by: Doyle at May 20, 2008 2:15 PM

p.s. I live in Tennessee, and I approve of the message in the clip.

Posted by: Doyle at May 20, 2008 2:16 PM

Sally,

I have no problem with the woman speaking her mind. I just think if she doesn't want to be criticized or is overly sensitive to what people say then her best bet is to stay home and say nothing. Otherwise, she better be prepared for a rough ride! And Barack too!

Posted by: Mary at May 20, 2008 2:19 PM

He does have a tough hide. He also cares about his family. The Clintons practically hid their daughter because the media was calling her ugly as a young teen. That's ridiculous and uncalled for. The Obamas probably want to protect their family as well. And I see nothing wrong with that. Obama has not forced Michelle to stop campaigning and he knows she is just as capable as he is when it comes to answering questions. Like a good man, he won't tolerate the Republicans bashing her unnecessarily - like her statement about not being proud of her country until recently. That's really nothing to get all up in arms about. But they did, because they're looking for every little thing to jump on.

Remember the flag pin debacle? Waste of time trying to bash other candidates.

And the ears incident? Umm, Obama was OBVIOUSLY kidding. Way to make a mountain out of a molehill.

Posted by: Edyt at May 20, 2008 2:20 PM

His Man, 1:52

"Your type kills babies in the womb, and we are angry and unstable?"

I have never had any association with abortion, much less having "killed babies in the womb".

Your assumption that anyone who doesn't buy your anti-choice extremism is an abortionist is a good incdication of how angry and unstable you truly are.

Now go into another angry rant to prove my point.

Posted by: Bystander at May 20, 2008 2:26 PM

Edyt:

Why do you favor Obama? I mean he claims to believe in the God you reject. He said he believed Jesus died for his sins. Why aren't you afriad of this Bible thumper? I mean if I started to say things like I believe it's OK to murder a baby in the womb and for a man to have anal intercourse with another man and that we should have laws guaranteeing both, would you like me too?

Or perhaps you know the only way Obama can get elected is to profess to be a Christian while maintaining unChristian positions and attitudes?

Why can't you just say who you are, like Hal does, one of the only honest Liberals on this site. Except of course Hal likes Obama too.

By the way, I also noted that the fangs come out when we challenge your views on unrestricted sex and baby murder.

Would you protect your niece or nephew in the womb with those fangs as well or would you exchange the inconvenient truth for a lie as well?

Posted by: HisMan at May 20, 2008 2:32 PM

"I mean if I started to say things like I believe it's OK to murder a baby in the womb and for a man to have anal intercourse with another man and that we should have laws guaranteeing both, would you like me too?"

Posted by: Hal at May 20, 2008 2:35 PM

Edyt,

I disagree about his tough hide. I consider him petulent. He wouldn't be whining about how is wife is treated if he did.
I well remember how the Clintons hid Chelsea and while I am no fan of theirs they didn't whine when their daughter was ridiculed and handled the whole situation in a dignified manner. I thought Chelsea also held up well. Yes I thought that was despicable too, but when you're in public office its going to happen.
I have no issue with protecting his family, but like I said there is freedom of speech in this country and if he and Michelle can't take it then maybe she should just stay home. This is absolutely nothing compared to what they will be facing. Bashing? You haven't seen anything yet.

I remember the encounter with Maureen Dowd, he actually made a point to find her in a crowd and to speak to her about his "sensitivity" where his ears are concerned. I also heard his tone of voice, he was serious. Maureen Dowd stood up to him and set him straight by telling him to toughen up. Go Maureen!

Posted by: Mary at May 20, 2008 2:38 PM

Do a Jimmy Carter HM? Do you mean attempt a rescue mission? What is the correlation here? Are you expecting Michelle to launch a rescue mission in Iran? Who would she be rescuing?

Posted by: Sally at May 20, 2008 2:43 PM

How come everytime someone says something negative(even though it may be the truth) about Obama, it is suddenly a "smear campaign?" I thought he was running for President, you know that really important job where you may have to protect the country from a lot worse than some people saying negative stuff about you. You can't handle people saying stuff about you that you don't like, DON'T run for President! Because you obviously can't hack it if you're all butt-hurt about somebody talking about your wife. How about when some terrorist bombs our country? Who are you going to whine to then Obama?

Posted by: Elizabeth at May 20, 2008 2:43 PM

Bystander:

I don't need to be angry or vengeful for my Lord says, "vengeance is mine sayeth the Lord, I will repay". And he will answer the cries of the billions of murdered innocent babies in the wombs that beg for justice". He is very able to be angry for me and mete out justice.

You don't have to actually perform an abortion or even have an abortion to be responsible for an abortion.

Being pro-choice means that your are for a woman's right to choose to kill her baby or to birth her baby.

To do nothing to stand against abortion is to be for abortion and the blood of millions of innocent babies murdered in the womb is on all pro-choice heads.

A 1/2 truth is a whole lie but I don't expect a pro-abort to understand this.

Sorry, my Lord says you are either for Him or against Him. Being a pro-abort is being against life, therefore you are against the Author of Life, Jesus Christ.

Posted by: HisMan at May 20, 2008 2:46 PM

"Besides, with a name like Bystander it doesn't surprise me that you think you can be pro-choice and just watch the holocause happen and do nothing about it."

Well said, Stud.

Posted by: Bobby Bambino at May 20, 2008 2:52 PM

Hey smart guy, I don't know if you noticed but there aren't any atheists running for president.

Well, maybe. You've said a lot of mean things to me so I might still vote for the other guy, as long as he or she represented those views too.

Duh. Everyone knows the only qualification you need to be president is to be a Bible thumper.

Who I am? You mean my name? Shouldn't that be obvious? The last thing I need is for a bunch of pro-lifers to write to all the publications I've written for and make up information about me. I may not be a public official, but as a member of the press I'm very public. I don't have the luxury of going to a job where I'm guaranteed privacy and the freedom to speak my mind.

Trust me, you haven't seen the fangs come out. :)

I'd protect my nieces and nephews if my sisters-in-law wanted them, yes. If they didn't, of course I would not take away those women's rights.

Posted by: Edyt at May 20, 2008 2:56 PM

Amanda, you work at Mass General? Wow, never realized that, lol. Very cool. Never knew you were that close by, jeez. Nice job though, Mass General has an amazing reputation (obviously) and would definitely be the place I'd want to work if I went into the medical field. I'm going to be in Boston tomorrow evening to take my placement tests at UMass, wish me luck, lol.

As for the topic at hand, defending family is instinct, regardless as to whether or not it makes sense. An ordinary person will do whatever they can for their family members and protect them in any way possible

Posted by: Dan at May 20, 2008 3:07 PM

Elizabeth, I don't think there's anything wrong with criticizing political candidates. Certainly there are things I dislike about all three candidates and if I had the choice, I wouldn't want any of them running.

A smear campaign is different though. Criticizing a candidate for not wearing a flag pin or for saying people are bitter is a smear campaign. It says nothing about what the candidate stands for or about their platform and has everything to do with making a candidate look bad on minuscule, unimportant details.

I think the candidates expect those smears to happen and I think all three of them have been handling them fine. But the people of the United States shouldn't have to sit around and nitpick when we're at war and our economy is doing badly. All smear campaigns do is distract from the actual message and turn people against each other. I've had enough of it. And Jill only posts about Obama, but on other sites I've defended McCain and Clinton against ridiculous smear campaigns.

Posted by: Edyt at May 20, 2008 3:10 PM

Amanda, interesting insider view on the hospital. Keep it coming.

Posted by: Jill Stanek at May 20, 2008 3:11 PM

Edyt-

ridiculous what people are willing to say on the internet sometimes. Chastising over-zealous supporters happens far more often than one would like, though I am probably guilty of digging into Ron Paul a bit hard, but thats typically more based on how I think many of his stances are insane.

Posted by: Dan at May 20, 2008 3:14 PM

Well to be fair, she posted about McCain's position on ESCR a little while ago.

I suppose she may have a little bit deeper animosity for Obama because of the whole Born Alive Infant Protection Act thing, though. That's just my guess.

Posted by: Elizabeth at May 20, 2008 3:14 PM

His Man 2:46

Thanks for making my point so well.

Posted by: Bystander at May 20, 2008 3:22 PM

Thanks Dan - I plan on sticking around here at least through grad school. It's an incredbile place to work.

Also, I agree 100% - no matter who you are, where on the political spectrum you fall, and what causes you represent, when people go after your family members, you're going to get protective and defensive. Does it mean they actually expect anyone to follow through? With politicians? Doubtful.

Posted by: Amanda at May 20, 2008 3:40 PM

What I really don't get about the Obama supporter's complaints is their use of the word "smear" with reference to the spot which simply replayed her comments exactly as she made them.

Since when has it been a "smear" to quote someone accurately?

Posted by: Doyle Chadwick at May 20, 2008 4:14 PM

Bystander and Laura sound like the same person to me.

Posted by: Anonymous at May 20, 2008 4:18 PM

Hisman and Hal,

Get a room! lol

Posted by: mk at May 20, 2008 4:22 PM

SoMg,

Just goes to show your ignorance of the pro-life stand.

Umm, probably because Patricia was practically squealing with glee at the news of his hospitalization right over here.

Posted by: Anonymous at May 20, 2008 4:25 PM

Anonymous, how do you do that?

Posted by: Anonymous at May 20, 2008 4:33 PM

Oh my!

Posted by: Anonymous at May 20, 2008 4:34 PM

What Michelle Obama was perfectly reasonable.
She was just standing up to unfair criticism.
What's wrong with that? Let's face it;just
about everything we have heard about Barack Obama so far has been nothing but rumor,innuendo,
and guilt by association.If conservatives
disapprove of Obama that is their right,
but so far,I have not heard one shred of evidence
that he has ever done anything truly bad,
or that he has evil intentions toward anyone.
I don't know if his policies will work,but
they couldn't possibly be worse than the disastrous ones of the Bush administration.
He is no "socialist".Since when does wanting
to do much more to help the poor out of their
plight,of whatever ethnicity,or those in the
middle class who are in difficult circumstances
make you a socialist? That's just a sinister-
sounding label used to frighten gullible conservatives.The ironic thing is that under
Obama,if economic conditions improve,abortion
would probably DECREASE markedly!

Posted by: robert berger at May 20, 2008 4:39 PM

Anon,

do you mean link via text? Go to this website and copy and paste the text in the gray box directly below where it says "The syntax of creating an anchor: " Type the url in the space where it says url (do not erase the quotes) and what you want it to say where it says "Text to be displayed." Try it out.

Posted by: Bobby Bambino at May 20, 2008 4:40 PM

" And just when we might be getting rid of Ted Kennedy too."

"Not at all Hal.
I see it as Ted Kennedy finally getting his just reward!"

"I see nothing wrong in justice finally being done in a circumstance where so much evil has been perpetrated by one human being.
My hope is that he repents both privately and publically."

- Patricia

....wow....

disgusting and shameful are the only two words that come to mind when reading that. Thanks for pointing that out Anon, even though I sort of wish I hadn't seen it.

The man has cancer. He also has a family and friends who love him. How ironic that one of the most ardent "pro lifers" here is CELEBRATING SOMEONE'S POTENTIALY FATAL ILLNESS. Sick.

Pro "life" my @$$.

Posted by: Amanda at May 20, 2008 4:41 PM

Bystander and Laura sound like the same person to me.

Posted by: Anonymous at May 20, 2008 4:18 PM
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Nah. I only post as "Laura" and for a while there "Fetus Fascist" after Truthseeker gave me the nickname.
If I didn't observe my weekly banning my yardwork would never get done.

Posted by: Laura at May 20, 2008 4:43 PM

Anon 4:18

Not unless Laura has morphed into a man in his 50's. Your analysis is otherwise brilliant.

Laura must be laughing at the extent to which she has you anti-choice extremists psyched out.

I hope Laura comes back after her "time out",as she is funny and insightful and she makes you crazies even crazier. She is a hoot.

Posted by: Bystander at May 20, 2008 4:43 PM

OK, the timing couldn't have been more perfect on THAT one!

Posted by: Laura at May 20, 2008 4:46 PM

Anon:

Oh my!

Posted by: Anonymous at May 20, 2008 4:34 PM
...............

Hmmmmmmmmmm! Let's all post as anon and see if we can address each other's posts without predetermining whether we usually agree or disagree with the poster.

Posted by: Anonymous at May 20, 2008 4:46 PM

"If I didn't observe my weekly banning my yardwork would never get done."

LOL

Posted by: Bobby Bambino at May 20, 2008 4:48 PM

maybe for Ted Kennedy http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZhqMeF6SSlM&NR=1 ?

Posted by: John McDonell at May 20, 2008 4:48 PM

Laura,

Hello. Hello. Hello.

Oh and Hello!

Posted by: mk at May 20, 2008 5:05 PM

Anon 4:34PM

I wish you would have included the rest of my post where I pointed out that Maureen Dowd stood up to him and told him to, in effect, grow up. Like I said, Go Maureen!

Posted by: Mary at May 20, 2008 5:07 PM

Robert Berger,

I am not trying to insult you and I hope I don't come across as condescending. I'm trying to help.

Your posts are very difficult to read. I don't know if you're text messaging or just unfamiliar with typing skills.

It would help if you put two spaces after each period, and one space after each comma, and broke your posts into paragraphs.

It makes them easier to read. Often I start reading something you've posted and then give up as it takes too much effort.

Do whatever you want, but if you're wondering why know one ever answers you, this might be the reason.

mk

Posted by: mk at May 20, 2008 5:09 PM

Text to be displayed

Posted by: mk at May 20, 2008 5:13 PM

Something about the depression comes to mind....

Posted by: JLM at May 20, 2008 6:06 PM

JLM

Why the depression?

Posted by: Mary at May 20, 2008 6:08 PM

Mary,

I think he meant Prohibition. See below:

Joseph P. Kennedy was the ambitious son of a prosperous Boston saloonkeeper and ward boss. He married the mayor's daughter, went to Harvard, and generally made the most of his ample connections and talent. He ran a bank at twenty-five and was number two man at a shipyard with more than two thousand workers during World War I. At thirty he became a stockbroker and made a fortune through insider trading and stock manipulation. He was a master of the stock pool, a then-legal stunt in which a few traders conspired to inflate a stock's price, selling out just before the bubble burst.

Kennedy may also have traded in illegal booze, although the evidence is circumstantial. His father had been in the liquor business before Prohibition, and Joe himself got into it (publicly, that is) immediately after repeal. Some believe the family business simply went underground during the dry years. He may have been strictly a nickel-and-dimer; Harvard classmates say he supplied the illicit booze for alumni events.

But there might have been more to it than that. In 1973 mob boss Frank Costello said he and Kennedy had benn bootlegging partners. Other underworld figures have also claimed Joe was in pretty deep. At least one write (John Davis, 1984) thinks bootlegging enabled Joe to earn his initial financial stake, but that's hard to believe; he had plenty of chances to make money more or less legally.

Whatever the truth of the matter, Kennedy's real strength wasn't his alleged criminal ties but his business smarts, notably an exquisite sense of timing. In the mid-1920s he became a movie mogul (taking time out for a celebrated dalliance with Gloria Swanson), then organized a merger anda sold out just when the industry was consolidating, clearing $5 to $6 million all told. He pulled out of stocks early in 1929 and sold short following the crash, actually making money while others got creamed. Just before Prohibition was repealed he lined up several lucrative liquor-importing deals.

Posted by: Amanda at May 20, 2008 6:19 PM

What I heard a long time ago, (don't know how true it is, though )is that the Kennedy's made their money from people who lost their homes during the depression. People were losing their homes in forclosure due to obviously not being able to afford them. Joe Kennedy bought up the forclosed properties and didn't do diddly to help these people out. Thus, the Kennedy curse!

Posted by: JLM at May 20, 2008 6:22 PM

Posted by: JLM at May 20, 2008 6:22 PM
............................

I thought Joe made his money bootlegging.
I don't believe in curses. Or prohibition for that matter. Or revelling in the misery of others.

Posted by: Sally at May 20, 2008 6:32 PM

Nah JLM, they had their wealth years before the depression. Joe Sr was a stock manipulator, and not that I'm defending it, but at the time, that was not illegal.

They did buy a lot of land back then, but the Cape wasn't very developed back then, so I'm not sure if it was really taking advantage of foreclosures, or just buying land cheap during an economic crisis.

My dad, being a regular old school Boston Italian, is a Kennedy-hater... so I'm fairly certain if that part was true, I'd have heard about it from my dad every single time a Kennedy is on TV, because I certainly here plenty... hahaha

FTR though, he would never ever celebrate or take any joy in Ted's illness.

Posted by: Amanda at May 20, 2008 6:33 PM

Amanda,
Just curious, what's your source at 6:19? Thx.

Posted by: Janet at May 20, 2008 6:35 PM

Sally & Amanda,
Of course he made money BEFORE the depression...he wouldn't be able to buy forclosed homes without it! yeesh!

(just kiddding, guys!)

I prayed for Ted and his family today. That must be very tough to be totally aware of what the road ahead looks like for him. I couldn't imagine...My heart and prayers goes out to him and his family.

Posted by: JLM at May 20, 2008 6:37 PM

Here you go, Janet!

Posted by: JLM at May 20, 2008 6:40 PM

Whoops. Meant to put the link in there. Sorry.

That was the only article I could find that mentioned that there is a bit of controversy about when the scotch importing started - before/after/during Prohibition. If you asked my dad though, you'd get a 2 hour history lesson about the Italians and Irish in Boston during the prohibition. I should have him write a web page. =)

Posted by: Amanda at May 20, 2008 6:41 PM

Amanda 6:19PM

Thank you.

I had heard of Joe Kennedy being a bootlegger. He also had his daughter Rosemary lobotomized and it went horribly wrong. Its the one thing Rose never forgave him for. He certainly could have hired caretakers or sent her to the very best facility. I also heard he used his criminal ties to assure his son John's election in 1960. I think that has been established as fact.
I've been told the "Kennedy Curse" dates back to Ireland when a Kennedy family member knocked down a "fairy ring". This is a mound or something that even people in modern day Ireland fear to disturb. I found the story fascinating.
Let's just say I live by the saying that only the fool laughs at what he doesn't understand!

Posted by: Mary at May 20, 2008 6:55 PM

Mary-

A fairy ring is a ring of mushrooms. It seems magical the way the grow in an almost perfect circle. This is because they appear where a tree once stood, growing from what remains underground, hence the circle.

Posted by: Anonymous at May 20, 2008 7:09 PM

Mary...

Indeed, but granted, lobotomy was thought to be a "treatment for hysteria" back then. My grandmother's first job was taking care of a woman on her street who had been lobotomized.

Thank God we have a better understanding of mental illness these days... though it doesn't do much good for the thousands of people who lived out their lives as shadows.

Posted by: Amanda at May 20, 2008 7:31 PM

Anon,

How interesting. Are there fairy mound legends in Ireland? Anyway, I understand that even modern day Irish will not disturb these, mounds and/or rings for fear of bad luck.

Posted by: Mary at May 20, 2008 8:07 PM

Mary,

I don't know anything about fairy mounds, sorry. When I was small the neighbors behind us had a fairy ring in their back yard, which they covered up with a patio. My mom was upset when they did that, not because she was superstitious, but because she thought the fairy ring was neat!

Posted by: Anonymous at May 20, 2008 8:12 PM

Amanda, 7:31PM

In the city where I was raised we had a huge institution that was literally a city in itself. It started out as a poor farm and grew into a massive institution, pretty much for the mentally ill and society's rejects.
I still remember visiting a friend of my grandmother's there when I was a child, she had been dumped by her well to do family and abandoned, and her whole world was a bed on a 50 bed ward with a nitestand. Yet this was her world and her life, and she adapted very well.
The place eventually closed down. Its mostly torn down but a few old bldgs remain. It now has a museum that I visit when I go home. These old bldgs are so incredible and beautifully built and I am fascinated by the museum. Its such a step back in time.

Posted by: Anonymous at May 20, 2008 8:15 PM

Edyt:

For a journalist you should learn how to read, or should I say comprehend.

In this country where the vast majority of people don't hold to your perverted views, i.e., no God and unrestricted sex, it takes someone running for President to at least say they believe in God to get elected (even though of course they really don't), not that it's a requirement for the Presidency. There's a difference.

Or haven't you noticed how Hillary and Obama have suddenly got religion? I mean they can't even state what they really believe because if they did they know they couldn't get elected. So it's like code talk to all you pro-abort Liberals. "We'll say we're believers and follow Jesus but we're really not. How will you know? Well just look at our fruit".

And I find it especially odd that you'd defend your nephew or niece in your sister's womb as long as your sister wanted you to. That seems awfully cowardly and duplicitous to me. So convenience dictates, huh? Women's rights trumps a human life? You're a sexist. Why? Because your perception of rights is determined by a person's sex and not as to whether something is right or wrong. Haven't you figured it out yet, Ms. Paper Pusher and Lie Spewer that abortion is a moral issue and not a political issue?

And here's another demostration of your principles. You're an atheist and you would vote for a theist. I mean I would never vote for an atheist if that's all that was on the ballot. So, what you do is vote for someone who says there a theist but then acts like an atheist. Is that like being "pro-choice"?

Posted by: HisMan at May 20, 2008 10:10 PM

Say what you like about Ted Kennedy, I've heard him give long talks on C-SPAN and he is one extremely smart guy. I can't think of anyone in politics who's more intelligent than he is, including the Clintons.

Posted by: SoMG at May 20, 2008 10:14 PM

JLM:

Oh, you mean how Joe Kennedy made money and how that may have affected his family?

Posted by: HisMan at May 20, 2008 10:16 PM

HisMan,

I'm just curious about something. Do you think the way you are to Edyt would make her WANT to be associated with anything that you associate with? What I'm referring to here is religion. You have such disdain and harshness for her, that I doubt you're doing much to win her over to your side which you think is the BEST side to be on anyway. Why don't you show her how great it is to be a believer because it allows you to be a kind and compassionate person? I think THAT would set a better example. I mean for someone who preaches so much, you certainly fall short quite a lot when speaking with Edyt.

Posted by: Elizabeth at May 20, 2008 10:42 PM

For a journalist you should learn how to read, or should I say comprehend.

What didn't I read or comprehend? Or are you just throwing out random insults again? Can't go a day without trying to put someone down, eh, Christian?

Yeah, if the majority of people don't hold my views, why do 95% of people have sex before marriage? I believe I acknowledged most people have some religious beliefs. 10 percent don't. And while it may not be a written requirement, I'd say it's probably the only thing every single president has had in common.

I don't think they "suddenly got religion." Like most politicians, they probably had religion for a long time before they were elected. I really doubt liberals are conspiring to pretend to be religious to get elected. If they were really all godless, why wouldn't they just come out of the closet and elect other people without god? Certainly enough people are liberals that there should be enough godless heathens to vote more godless heathens into office, right?

To you, maybe. I'm not about to force my sister-in-law to birth a child she doesn't want. What is this, the Soviet Union? (I don't have any sisters so it would have to be an in-law.)

Uhh, actually it's about bodily autonomy. If men could give birth I'd say they shouldn't be forced to give birth against their will either. If the government wanted to sterilize you, I'd say you should have the right to bodily autonomy, regardless of whether you were a man or a woman.

Are you done insulting me now, Mr. Godly? (Fruits INDEED!)

LOL unlike your religion, nothing about my lack of belief dictates who I should or should not vote for. If McCain was an atheist, I still wouldn't vote for him. Personal belief in a deity is not the only value I look for when voting for a political leader.

Posted by: Edyt at May 20, 2008 10:50 PM

"Or haven't you noticed how Hillary and Obama have suddenly got religion? "

I thought the complaint last month was that Obama sat in the pews for twenty years and never confronted his pastor. Now it's he "suddenly" got religion. 20 years is pretty sudden.

"You're an atheist and you would vote for a theist. I mean I would never vote for an atheist if that's all that was on the ballot."

That's not lack of principles Hisman, that's tolerance. I can vote for Obama because I can respect that he believes certain things and tries to incorporate those beliefs into his life to make him a better man. I don't put much stock in the process, but I have no quarrel with the result. And you, in turn, are not attacked here for your belief in God, but for your attitude, words, and actions.

Posted by: Hal at May 20, 2008 10:53 PM

"And here's another demostration of your principles. You're an atheist and you would vote for a theist."

-HisMan

Wait. Being willing to vote for someone who's political views are similar to yours even if they have different religious beliefs = lack of principle?

So would you ever vote for a Jewish candidate?

Posted by: Amanda at May 20, 2008 11:05 PM

Edyt:

Just about every word you write insults me.

Yes the road to perdition is wide Edyt and many there are that take it.

OK Elizabeth.

You could care less about Edyt. If you did you wouldn't be the prima enabler on this site. I'm not going to spend my precious time defending anything I said. If you want to, go back and actually read the posts and THINK about why I wrote what I wrote.

Amanda:

So being an atheist is now a religious belief? That's an amazing revelation from a Liberal. Why don't you promote that idea amongst your atheist friends. I mean they contend they have no faith in anything.

Yes I would vote for a Jewish politician if he/she met my criteria. But never for an atheist.

Posted by: HisMan at May 21, 2008 12:11 AM

Hal:

Tolerance? C'mon, you don't have any other choice.

If is quacks like a duck, waddles like a duck, and smells like a duck, well, it's still an atheist.

Posted by: HisMan at May 21, 2008 12:33 AM

HisMan, I am cracking up right now. You remind me so much of Hilary Faye (Mandy Moore) in Saved!

Hilary Faye throws a Bible at Mary.

"I am FILLED with Christ's love! You are just jealous of my success in the Lord."

Posted by: Edyt at May 21, 2008 12:54 AM

@Edyt: *gigglefit* I love that movie...

Posted by: Rae at May 21, 2008 7:40 AM

Edyt...

ahahahaha. Hillary Faye = spawn of HisMan

Posted by: Amanda at May 21, 2008 7:57 AM

Hisman, I'd be overjoyed if Obama was an atheist, but I can't imagine that he is. 20 years in church would be really hard to put up with if he didn't have some belief in God. Maybe one day he'll see the light.

Posted by: hal at May 21, 2008 10:05 AM

I LOVE the movie Saved, Edyt..Ohh I think I will have to watch it today just because you brought it up.

HisMan,

Grow up..I'm not a prima enabler...I just call it like I see it. You sure throw around a lot of insults for a man of God. I'm a Catholic and I don't throw around nearly as many insults as you..I at least try to offer constructive criticism. Or do you call me an enabler cause I actually try to get people to think about their beliefs? I would think that's better than using my Bible like it's a weapon. I let you do enough of that for ALL of us.

Posted by: Elizabeth at May 21, 2008 10:14 AM

Amanda, 6:19, 6:41:
tafkac.org is a site dedicated to urban legends, probably not a reliable source, although your point is taken.

Posted by: Janet at May 21, 2008 10:56 AM

Hal 10:53PM

don't you remember? Obama never heard anything his pastor said. Twenty years in the pews and he was still totally clueless as to what his pastor believed or preached.
Also, for political expediency, he recently threw his pastor under the bus.

Don't worry about this man letting any religious principles he may have interfere with his ability to govern.

Posted by: Mary at May 21, 2008 12:37 PM

Hal: I've yet to hear how often Obama actually attended services. Christmas and Easter? Every week? That makes a huge difference in any discussion about his level of commitment to his faith, don't you think?

There must be someone out there reading this who attends his church who could tell us.....

Posted by: Janet at May 21, 2008 1:06 PM

Sally & Amanda,

(just kiddding, guys!)

Posted by: JLM at May 20, 2008 6:37 PM
......................................................

Don't be silly! I certainly wouldn't be surprised if foreclosures weren't a source of the Kennedy wealth. Hardly anything new under the sun but an explanation for present legal 'interference' with business practice. The wealthy have had to have ethics stuffed down their throats. It's just interesting that the Kennedy's didn't forget who they walked all over to make their money and have given back. IMO
I watched my father die of cancer. I hope that Ted's pain won't be too unbearable to participate in the last days of his life. My dad's name was Ted too. Not that it matters.

Posted by: Sally at May 21, 2008 8:04 PM