Roderick King out as UWSP SGA senator, but why?

First, an update on the Roderick King video. Due to racist comments it was garnering on YouTube, posters disabled comments and either intentionally or unintentionally privatized it, meaning embeds don't currently work. Students for Life is trying to correct that. For now the video can only be viewed on YouTube.

roderick catholic.jpgMoving on, reader Milissa has corresponded with University of Wisconsin-Stevens Point official Stephen Ward about the email Student Government Association Sen. Claire Smith wrote that I posted last week. In it she blamed pro-lifers for sophomore Roderick King's temper tantrum against small crosses commemorating aborted babies.

Ward responded with the news that King is out as SGA senator. But both Milissa and I have read Ward's email several times and are unclear on what happened. What is clear...

1. The SGA rules committee voted to oust King.

2. The full senate argued on "further sanctions" against King but adjourned for the school year before a 2nd hearing could be held, so it made no final decision.

3. New senate leaders may rehash the matter before the school year ends.

4. Meanwhile King did not seek re-election.

So was King ousted, or did a committee just vote to kick him out while the full senate did not seal the deal? And what further sanctions could SGA impose?

I also thought Ward's last paragraph drawing in "local law enforcement" as one possible King discipliner was interesting. I've maintained all along King broke the law, and both pro-lifers and the university should prosecute. Hope they do.

The incident made the Washington Times yesterday.

roderick discpline.jpg

[Photo courtesy of the Catholic News Agency]

Comments:

"...there is a clear understanding that intolerance, in any form, cannot be tolerated on our campus."

Um... Mr. Ward says they're intolerant of intolerance.

Posted by: Cranky Catholic at May 12, 2008 7:33 PM

CC,

Great call!

Posted by: mk at May 12, 2008 8:10 PM

Okay,

After what went on here today, I'm taking Bobby and Janet up on their suggestion...

It's Novena time.

Patricia, Carla, Elizabeth, Rachel, RSD, Brian, and any other Catholics on board, if you'd like to join us, just email me and I'll send you a copy. It's a beautiful, beautiful novena. You won't be sorry.

We'll be starting on Wednesday.

Posted by: mk at May 12, 2008 8:40 PM

Send me a copy MK!

Posted by: Elizabeth at May 12, 2008 9:16 PM

E,
Done.

Posted by: mk at May 12, 2008 9:34 PM

Sounds like his term on the SGA ran out and now he is running out. Good riddens Rod. Hope he gets suspended from the school too.

Posted by: truthseeker at May 12, 2008 10:17 PM

TR:

I apologize to you directly.

I sinned by insulting you.

The Lord is not pleased that I would insult anyone.

He has chastised me and I joyfully accept His discipline.

Posted by: HisMan at May 13, 2008 12:32 AM

HisMan, you have done well. As I am sure you are well aware, the truth is much more powerful than insults. May God's Holy Spirit guide you in your mind and actions.

Posted by: truthseeeker at May 13, 2008 12:51 AM

Red, I won't need to insult you. But I will call you out on your abusive personality:

"I still wouldnt have any obligation to give them blood or an organ even if it was my fault they needed it."
Posted by: TexasRed at May 13, 2008 1:42 AM

Posted by: truthseeker at May 13, 2008 2:47 AM

That's pretty complicated. Maybe they removed him as a senator, and the "further sanctions" would have been that he couldn't run for the student senate again?

Due to racist comments it was garnering on YouTube,

It seems like everything on YouTube devolves into racist comments sooner or later. It's a sad commentary on our world.

Posted by: Jen R at May 13, 2008 12:51 PM

MK,

Pls send me the Novena.

Thanks!

Posted by: RSD at May 13, 2008 3:09 PM

mk, novena please

Posted by: truthseeker at May 14, 2008 5:52 AM

If a senator in congress breaks the law he should be replaced. Mr King broke the law by destroying property that was not his own and infringing on the right to free speech. Hopefully not only will he not run for a school senate position, but he will also not seek a state senate position. The sad truth is the more anger a person has in the world, the farther they seem to go. We could change that, if we choose to do so.

Posted by: Monika at June 3, 2008 11:44 PM

I am reminded of others who felt it was their right to define the rights of others - rather than live by the rule of law:Hitler, Stalin, MaoMany. I see more an more people who think they have the right to "freedom" and "tolerance" but who do not show these same rights to people who oppose them. What they really believe in is "freedom for me and my ideas but not for anyone who opposes those ideas." I was pleased that noone violated Herr Kings right by physically stopping him. Instead they showed their tolerance for his intolerance by allowing the "authorities" to handle his temper tantrum and his gross violation of their rights.

Posted by: Harleydjg at June 6, 2008 12:28 PM