Animal rights activists: In a violent league of their own

The Associated Press yesterday inappropriately associated pro-life activists with animal rights vandals and arsonists, demonstrating yet again MSM doesn't have an inkling who we are.

Pro-life picketers do not hide themselves, destroy property, threaten or hurt people, and certainly are not filled with "rage." On the contrary, we pray. Nor are most animal rights groups violent, although the AP implicates them as well:

animal 2.jpg

In the hills above the University of CA's Berkeley campus, 9 protesters gathered in front of the home of a toxicology professor, their faces covered with scarves and hoods despite the warm spring weather.

One scrawled "killer" in chalk on the scientist's doorstep, while another hurled insults through a bullhorn and announced, "Your neighbor kills animals!" Someone shattered a window.

Borrowing the kind of tactics used by anti-abortion demonstrators, animal rights activists are increasingly taking their rage straight to scientists' front doors....

Over the past couple of years, more and more researchers who experiment on animals have been harassed and terrorized in their own homes, with weapons that include firebombs, flooding and acid....

Nor do we condone killing. Sheesh:

Accompanying the attacks is increasingly tough talk from activists such as Dr. Jerry Vlasak, a spokesman for the Animal Liberation Front .... In an interview with The AP, he said he is not encouraging anyone to commit murder, but "if you had to hurt somebody or intimidate them or kill them, it would be morally justifiable."

Here would be the only place we agree, if "preborn baby" were substituted for "animal":

"An animal has as much of a right to life as we do. To take a life without provocation is immoral, it's violent, there's no excuse for it," said Jacob Black, 23, an organizer of demonstrations at the homes of UC Berkeley researchers. "To name and shame these people as morally bankrupt individuals in our society is key."

But we're not about violence, as attributed in the article to animal rights zealots:

[A] protest in the Berkeley hills left a window of the toxicology professor's home shattered along with the window of a neighbor, who sprayed demonstrators with a garden hose to drive them away....

animal 1.jpg

Masked protesters converged on [UCLA] scientists' homes late at night, banging on doors, throwing firecrackers and chanting, "We know where you sleep," according to court documents.

Threatening calls and e-mails followed. Firebombs were left near homes 3 times; 2 failed to go off, while the third charred a front door. One professor's home was flooded when a garden hose was shoved through a broken window....

Recently, federal investigators joined a probe into an alleged February assault against the husband of a University of CA, Santa Cruz breast-cancer researcher who experiments on mice. Police said masked activists pounded on the family's front door during a birthday party for their young daughter, and one threw a punch when the husband tried to force them to leave.

The ALF claimed responsibility for dousing a home... with glass-eating acid and covering it with animal rights slogans. Leventhal estimated the damage at $20,000. At another home, the group claimed responsibility for putting glue in the house's locks and pouring salt to destroy the front lawn....

prayer 7.jpgOn the contrary, the pro-life movement is the most peaceful social justice movement in American history. Every day there are hundreds of prayer vigils or protests held in every part of the country without incident... unless a pro-abort starts something.

The abortion industry has to some extent waged a successful campaign to malign the pro-life movement as violent. I only mind when pro-lifers worry too much about it and bend too far backwards to try to prove we're not, or disdain involvement in activism for fear of the label.

[Vandalism photos courtesy of the AP; photo of pro-lifers courtesy of The Madison Catholic Herald]

Comments:

...except for the ones who deliver bomb threats, or attempt to bomb or burn clinics.

Posted by: Ray at July 9, 2008 1:25 PM

Where's Jess?

Posted by: Carla at July 9, 2008 1:32 PM

"Pro-life picketers do not hide themselves, destroy property, threaten or hurt people,"

Or target and picket construction workers homes, and circle schools with lurid photos?

Posted by: phylosopher at July 9, 2008 1:37 PM

"Where's Jess?

Posted by: Carla at July 9, 2008 1:32 PM"
----------------------------

Those were my first thoughts, too, Carla... *LOL*

Posted by: RSD at July 9, 2008 1:45 PM

Hello Carla! I hope you and the family are having a great day! I know I am, it's my sisters 22nd birthday today : )
And to celebrate we have fat free brownies made with cruelty free eggs. Nothing says happy birthday like happy chickens!

So are you saying Jill, you wouldn't be outraged if someone took a butcher knife, ripped open a pregnant woman's stomach, tore out her baby and started eating it? Tell me what pro-choicers have done that. Or worn baby skin clothing. Or shot pregnant women in the stomach for fun? Have you ever seen an abortion where an abortionist holds down the baby while it's screaming, crying, flailing wildly to try and get away and the abortionist drops a heavy cinder block on its head repeatedly until its brains come out?

Posted by: Jess at July 9, 2008 1:46 PM

Oh RSD, go hug a cow : )

Posted by: Jess at July 9, 2008 1:47 PM

Gosh, was it just yesterday Jill was celebrating Will Duffy, who sends threatening letters to hundreds of people who merely live in the same neighborhood as a Weitz employee, threatening to commit crimes and to decrease property values? The Will Duffy who trespasses to deliver bloody fetus dolls into their backyards?

The Will Duffy who sends trucks with huge posters depicting the Virginia Tech mass murderer with his weapons drawn, and the message "blood will run in the streets" into residential neighborhoods to terrorize children?

The Will Duffy who sends a creepy old man into residential neighborhoods in the dark to film people through their bedroom windows?

The Will Duffy who called to harass the elderly mother of a spouse of a Weitz employee in a nursing home out of state?

And how about the five, at least, permanent restraining orders against Duffy's group for threats of violence?

Yesterday, in two posts, Jill not only lauded Duffy but celebrated his expressed intention to continue his pattern of harassment and terorism.

Jill, you obviously live in a fantasy world, but don't expect the rest of us to move in.

Posted by: LTL at July 9, 2008 1:50 PM

Have you ever seen an abortion where the abortionist chains the baby upside down, skins off it's flesh (while it's still alive and screaming) and then beat it with a metal rod till it dies?

Have you ever seen an abortion where the abortionist bites off one of the babies legs, then bites off its head while it's still alive? While all of the abortionists friends stood around and laughed?

Fine abortion is horrible and needs to be eradicated and made illegal but can you honestly tell me the examples I mentioned above are any better?

Posted by: Jess at July 9, 2008 1:52 PM

Have you ever known of an abortion where afterwards, the abortionist impregnantes the woman,forces on her another abortion, impregnates the woman,forces on her another abortion, and all the while milking her and selling it?

Posted by: Jess at July 9, 2008 1:55 PM

I don't care what you guys say, this little calf is saying, "Thank you Jess, thank you for saving my life!"

You're welcome little cow. : )

Posted by: Jess at July 9, 2008 2:04 PM

Well Jess, funny you should mention such violence:

But we do fill their environment with saline solution which burns them inside and out, causing an excruciating death.

What's the difference whether it's bitten off or ripped off? Abortionist's routinely dismember babies limb by limb, pulling legs from torsos, leaving a head to be crushed and sucked out. Arms are pulled from torsos, eyes gouged out, intestines pulled from slit baby bellies. Get the picture. All while baby is ALIVE. This is done while the abortionist listens to classical music, discussing his/her plans for dinner that evening and even sharing a joke or two with staff.
BTW, they EAT aborted fetuses in China.

Oh and you forgot the part where they stick a needle into the baby's heart, sometimes twice cuz, you know, they missed the first time.
Or the part about the baby being almost fully born and then the abortionist shoves a metal rod (did I see metal rods in your post? YES I DID!) into the base of the babies skull and sucks it's brains out. Cool, Jess, very cool.

Fine abortion is horrible This qualifies as the understatement of the year.

You have NO case. Period.

Posted by: Patricia at July 9, 2008 2:04 PM

You're welcome little cow. : )

Posted by: Jess at July 9, 2008 2:04 PM

" don't care what you guys say, this little calf is saying, "Thank you Jess, thank you for saving my life!"
--------------------

What about the unborn victims of abortion, Jess...what would they say to you?

Posted by: RSD at July 9, 2008 2:08 PM

"BTW, they EAT aborted fetuses in China."

I think the Chinese may have said the same thing about us once or twice. I did a research paper on cannibalism. Some of the Chinese used to say Christian missionaries ate their children.

And can you prove any of your claims? I've posted so many pictures of slaughter houses on here. I want to see the baby eating Chinese. And not just the picture of that performance artist.

Also, in all the abortions I've witnessed on videos, the baby never seems to really put up a fight for their life. Like um, maybe they don't a have a functioning nervous system?

Posted by: Jess at July 9, 2008 2:11 PM

"the baby never seems to really put up a fight for their life..."
--------------------------

How could they, Jess?...they were unborn...

That's why WE fight for them.

Posted by: RSD at July 9, 2008 2:16 PM

RSD, if I were aborted I would say, "Well I hope my Mom made the right decision." If I had to be euthanized for some reason to save my mothers life I would. I would do it if I knew it would just improve the quality of her life. My Mom's happiness means the world to me. My families happiness means the world to me. If my death would make them happier I would gladly die for them.

Posted by: Jess at July 9, 2008 2:16 PM

I found the picture of the "your neighbor kills animals" sign very interesting, as Will Duffy's group tells neighborhood children that "your neighbor (a building contractor) kills babies".

A terrorist is a terrorist, and the parallel between animal rights terrorists and anti-abortion terrorists is completely valid.

Duffy's dream is to provoke a violent confrontation by his outrageous conduct, but he has not been any more successful at that than at stopping the PP project in Denver.

Did I mention that Duffy's small core group has about 15 years in prison among them?

Duffy and his followers disrespect the police, provoke the neighbors and constantly film them, hoping to record a confrontation, so they can sue them, to try to make some money without having to (shudder) get a job.

Duffy boasts that his terrorism has led to state laws and local ordinances intended to protect the public. I wonder if the child molester/murderer whose activities led to "Jessica's Law" also brags about that....

This article about "peaceful prayerful anti-abortion protestors" is the most outrageous lie ever posted on this site, and that is saying a lot...

Posted by: LTL at July 9, 2008 2:17 PM

Jess,

Easy for you to say that...you're already born...

Posted by: RSD at July 9, 2008 2:18 PM

RSD, what if they don't want you to fight for them? I wouldn't want you harassing my mother if she choose to abort me.

Posted by: Jess at July 9, 2008 2:18 PM

Oh so the only reason you're gonna fight for the unborn's life is if I can prove to you people eat unborn babies?
Right Jess. Get a grip please. Stop the killing by recognizing that abortion kills babies and there is NOTHING that makes that EVER the right course of action. Then do something about it!

Posted by: Patricia at July 9, 2008 2:19 PM

Posted by: Jess at July 9, 2008 2:21 PM

Posted by: Jess at July 9, 2008 2:18 PM
--------------------------

How do you know that, Jess? Wouldn't it be better to err on the side of life?

And I don't harrass people who chose abortion...

Posted by: RSD at July 9, 2008 2:22 PM

Posted by: Jess at July 9, 2008 2:22 PM

Posted by: Jess at July 9, 2008 1:46 PM

Chances are, those chickens still aren't happy. The folks over at www.peacefulprairie.org have done investigations into cage free and free-range eggs. And at the heart of the message should be complete abolition of these animal friends of ours. Meat is murder, dairy is rape, eggs are stealing, and all place animals in the same bucket as prenatal life - the property of its "owner" and disposable.

Posted by: pro-life atheist at July 9, 2008 2:25 PM

"BTW - I really love my meat. And I belong to PETA - People Eating Tasty Animals."

Well I really love not being pregnant, does that give me a right to abort?

I bet you $1,000 a one time or another you ate a piece of person in your meat. You wouldn't believe how many people lose a piece of their hand and just keep working so they don't get fired.

Posted by: Jess at July 9, 2008 2:27 PM

Except that I don't buy my meat from the super market Jess.
I shoot them myself (just kidding). I buy locally from a private butcher and if he loses fingertips I think I'd notice!

Posted by: Patricia at July 9, 2008 2:32 PM

"RSD I told her before if my death would mean her happiness I would gladly kill myself. She never took me up on the offer though. I've actually said that to my sister too, she also rejected the offer.

Posted by: Jess at July 9, 2008 2:22 PM
---------------------------------

Why would your death be happiness for your family?

Posted by: RSD at July 9, 2008 2:35 PM

AHAHAHAHAHAHAAA!! AAAAAAHAHAHAAAAA!! Hoo boy, that's a good one, Jill.

Posted by: reality at July 9, 2008 2:47 PM

"Pro-life picketers do not hide themselves, destroy property, threaten or hurt people, and certainly are not filled with "rage." On the contrary, we pray."

Uhh... you do realize you were just all giddy yesterday about pro lifers ADMITTING to threatening and harassing contractors hired by PP, causing them to pull out in FEAR for their families SAFETY.

Also, the woman who told me she hoped I got raped... she was just actually praying I got raped then? And that makes it okay?

The person who slashed my tires (noooo that wasn't cowardly at all) must have also just been praying that a kitchen knife be inserted in to two of my tires by the hand of Christ.

How about the post you made about the PP Fundraising Dinner last month where the protesters ADMITTED they knew they weren't changing anyones minds, and just wanted to annoy and harass them. They were also just praying right? With some nut dangling a bloody fetus doll and screaming at people driving in? Yes. That's PERFECTLY normal, sane, and pious behavior that those crazy animal rights activisits would never be able to do.... oh wait... hmm...

LOL, Jill, sorry, but this post is PURE fantasy on your part. You've refuted your OWN words here about a dozen times.

Posted by: Amanda at July 9, 2008 2:48 PM

I am still not quite clear on how you all got from the subject whether or not the antis are violent, to eating babies.

Posted by: Ray at July 9, 2008 2:49 PM

we are off that topic now RaY.
The majority of prolifers are not violent - they are law abiding people who have families and don't support killing babies.

The majority of animal rights activists are not law abiding citizens with families, I'll bet. I'm betting they are contracepting left wing liberals who believe in abortion and feel there are far too many humans around to begin with.

Posted by: Patricia at July 9, 2008 2:54 PM

"Why would your death be happiness for your family?"

Well RSD, if a violent pro-life group like Will's said, "We're going to keep harassing your family until you become pro-life." I couldn't just pretend to be pro-life, I honestly believe pro-choice is right, people should have choice, the choice of abortion too. I would have to kill myself so they would stop hurting my family.

Posted by: Jess at July 9, 2008 2:59 PM

"The majority of animal rights activists are not law abiding citizens with families, I'll bet. "

Cite/Source/Any shred of evidence to support that?

Posted by: Amanda at July 9, 2008 2:59 PM

Patricia --

How are these things mutually exclusive? Can you not be a law-abiding citizen with a family AND be a contracepting left wing liberal?

Posted by: Alexandra at July 9, 2008 3:02 PM

I stand up for animal rights and I am a law abiding citizen with a large, wonderful family.

Speaking of which I have to go the party is going to start soon!

Posted by: Jess at July 9, 2008 3:05 PM

Posted by: reality at July 9, 2008 3:07 PM

Real peaceful and loving.

Posted by: reality at July 9, 2008 3:08 PM

What about those of us who are law abiding prolifers who also support animal shelters and eat vegan?

Abortion is sick and wrong but so is torturing animals, and child abuse, and beating up gays.

We need laws protecting all of them and we need to enforce those laws.

Even with anti cruelty laws, there are those in enforcement positions who wink at animal abuse.

Really it is the medical industries that profit from cruel animal experiments and abortion. With such little concern for the suffering of helpless animals, is it any wonder that some in the medical industry don't even have regard for human lives of the unborn, profoundly handicapped, or the uninsured?

Remember researchers draw a salary from endless experiments even if they never lead to anything useful.

It is a flawed system.

Posted by: hippie at July 9, 2008 3:08 PM

Thank you hippie!!!!!! I'm going to start a fan club for you!

Posted by: Jess at July 9, 2008 3:10 PM

Genesis 1:28 "God blessed them; and God said to them, "Be fruitful and multiply, and fill the earth, and subdue it; and rule over the fish of the sea and over the birds of the sky and over every living thing that moves on the earth."

Acts 10: "9On the next day, as they were on their way and approaching the city, Peter went up on the housetop about the sixth hour to pray.

10But he became hungry and was desiring to eat; but while they were making preparations, he fell into a trance;

11and he saw the sky opened up, and an object like a great sheet coming down, lowered by four corners to the ground,

12and there were in it all kinds of four-footed animals and crawling creatures of the earth and birds of the air.

13A voice came to him, "Get up, Peter, kill and eat!"

14But Peter said, "By no means, Lord, for I have never eaten anything unholy and unclean."

15Again a voice came to him a second time, "What God has cleansed, no longer consider unholy."

Jess; In light of the above scriptures that 1) command us to have dominion over thw earth and every creature in it and, 2) eat anything and everything, why do you hold animals at least equal to humans and while justifying abortion? Persaonlly, I think, you have allowed yourself to become deceived.

What I'm saying is that your position for animals is not a balanced position but one that reflects a very skewed and twisted view that is basically ungodly. I mean verse 15 of Acts 10 was God's emphasis on the command. When that is done in the Bible it usually means that He means business.

Should we treat animals humanely? Of course. Should we eat them? You bet.

Posted by: HisMan at July 9, 2008 3:13 PM

This one speaks for itself...

Posted by: Amanda at July 9, 2008 3:17 PM

Posted by: Alexandra at July 9, 2008 3:02 PM

Usually not. Liberals aren't too fond of families, at least not families with more than 1.3 children.

Posted by: Patricia at July 9, 2008 3:26 PM

Jess,

I love animals, too! They're delicious! *LOL*

PS...I don't think your justification to die would bring happiness to your family

Posted by: RSD at July 9, 2008 3:31 PM

Posted by: Patricia at July 9, 2008 2:54 PM

That's a common misconception, but one that is unmerited. There are millions of vegans and vegetarians in the US, but only a percentage are activists. Even then, only a small percentage of those are radical. A few bad apples spoil the bunch....

Posted by: pro-life atheist at July 9, 2008 3:32 PM

Amanda,

you have claimed that you would like to be pro-life, we are still waiting for your first pro-life comment here.

Posted by: Jasper at July 9, 2008 3:38 PM

I don't eat Veal, duck, deer, or lamb. I DO eat Hamburger, but NOT every day. I also like to eat fried chicken or grilled chicken.

Posted by: LizFromNebraska at July 9, 2008 3:40 PM

You say the most judgmental, ignorant, stereotypical things sometimes. Seriously.

Posted by: Alexandra at July 9, 2008 3:50 PM

Hi Jess,
You are in your element today!! :)

I think the treatment of animals you have talked about is horrific. Really.

I think the treatment of babies in abortions is horrific. They are humans. They deserve life. I will fight forever for the life of a baby over the life of a chicken.

Still praying for you. I pray that your passion extends to the unborn. Soon.

Posted by: Carla at July 9, 2008 3:52 PM

Posted by: Alexandra at July 9, 2008 3:50 PM

Nope. THe stats bear this out. If the shoe fits I can't help that.

Posted by: Patricia at July 9, 2008 3:55 PM

Both animal rights activists and prolife activists are passionate about their cause. Both are mainly peaceful, law abiding citizens. The difference is that if prolifers did anything radical like animal rights activists do, the entire FBI, ATF, CIA, and probably the whole Marine Corp would be sent out to hunt us down.

And here's the saddest of the many, many comments by Jess: "And fine I guess abortion isn't horrible Patricia I guess I was wrong. Maybe I was just about to convert to the pro-life side (sounds like was right?) but then someone like you runs by and shoos me away. Nice."

Jess, NO ONE becomes prolife because they "like prolifers". This isn't a social club. We do what we do because we really, really hate the idea of a healthy woman electively killing her healthy unborn child. We find it disgusting and barbaric.

You just don't have what it takes to be a prolifer, Jess.

Posted by: Doyle at July 9, 2008 3:55 PM

A little known fact: less animal lives would be taken if people ate more red meat and less poultry. One cow feeds more people than one chicken.

Of course, you can feed multiple times more people with the amount of food being fed to animals before killing them for their flesh. Eating animal flesh is an inefficient way to manage the planet's resources.

If everybody just knew how to properly prepare temeph, no one would need meat ;)

Posted by: pro-life atheist at July 9, 2008 3:56 PM

Nope. THe stats bear this out. If the shoe fits I can't help that.

The STATS? Please, show me the stats on fondness for families.

"Animal rights activists are liberals are people who hate families are criminals." Please.

Posted by: Alexandra at July 9, 2008 4:03 PM

Amen PLA

I just think (like I think with pretty much everything) that there is a balance. If we continued to eat meat, but LESS of it, and balanced it out with more veggies (and tempeh..haha) we wouldn't NEED to keep animals the way they're kept here which leads to their poor treatment, and we wouldn't waste so much grain feeding them.

While I think meat IS an important dietary component (mmmmm Outback Special), we eat waaaaaaaaaaaaay more than our bodies were designed to, and not nearly enough of the other good stuff.

I don't mind shopping at trader joes and spending the extra few bucks for the peace of mind of buying free range/no hormone raised beef.

Funny we called Native Americans savages...they were meat eaters, but treated animals with the utmost repsect, and in most tribes, it was a tradition to THANK the animal for its sacrifice to feed them.

Posted by: Amanda at July 9, 2008 4:10 PM

I love animals, even to the extent that once both my kids are in school, I'll resume my own schooling to become a vet, what I've always wanted to be. I do eat meat (that we raise ourselves, and love and care for dearly)...so do lions and other animals, and our position in nature as the most sophisticated animal should mean we work towards making the process of obtaining our food as pain-free, wasteless, and cost efficient as possible. I connect deeply with my Native American heritage, and that means a respect for nature and passionate love and gratitude towards all that have died so that I may live, and I am happy to devote my life to caring for those who can't care for themselves, protecting those who cannot protect themselves, and speaking for those who have no voice...Humans and other animals together.

Posted by: xalisae at July 9, 2008 4:11 PM

Jess, you really should feel very special. I think Jill wrote this article just for you!

Posted by: Elizabeth (Gabriella's Momma) at July 9, 2008 4:22 PM

With the advent of the Animal Enterprise Terrorism Act (among other state efforts), the federal government is now doing what it did to pro-life activists years ago - classifying the entire group based on the actions of a small few, and increasing penalties for minor protest related actions. The trial of the SHAC 7 was compared to previous efforts against pro-lifers, and even served to have pro-choice animal rights activists rooting for Joe Scheilder's case at the Supreme Court, because of the implication it would have on them.

Posted by: pro-life atheist at July 9, 2008 4:22 PM

Amanda:3:17: This girl was a college student studying reproductive health. Eric Rudolph bombed the clinic she was interning at in Alabama. This could have just as easily been me.

I would never condone the violence Rudolph inflicted on this woman, I don't know any pro-lifer that would. Those types are in the minority and probably have some mental problems.

Posted by: Janet at July 9, 2008 4:22 PM

Posted by: Alexandra at July 9, 2008 4:03 PM

Whom are you quoting. Not me.

I also don't equate vegetarians with animal rights activists. Animal rights activists are a whole 'nother breed of person.
I see nothing wrong with using an animals fur, skin and meat.
Trying walking in -50 below weather with a pair of rubber boots Alexandra. Mighty cold. Now try it with a pair of seal skin boots. Nice toasty warm feet and very practical.

Posted by: Patricia at July 9, 2008 4:28 PM

Whom are you quoting. Not me.

Paraphrasing. This:

Anyway:

I'm not a vegetarian and I don't oppose leather or other animal products, though I don't like the look of it for most apparel purposes. I do consider myself pro-animal rights because I am anti-cruelty. I buy from reputable butchers, and so forth.

Posted by: Alexandra at July 9, 2008 4:34 PM

YAY ! ! ! ! Jess is pro life now! She realizes that abortion is horrible and needs to be eradicated!

WELCOME TO THE LIGHT, JESS!

Posted by: mk at July 9, 2008 4:42 PM

Whom are you quoting. Not me.

Paraphrasing. This:

I never said anything about people who hate families should be criminalized. That would include most of the liberal and NDP parties in Canada as well as significant proportion of the Democrats in the US. You are way off base here, sister.
I do agree however, that the massive farms that one finds in the US and the huge chicken farms are not the way to raise animals. Which is why I don't buy my meat from the supermarket, but it is more a health issue for me and secondary is the way the animals are treated.
I would never be cruel to any animal - I ususally have to close my eyes when I'm running over them in my car (it's sooo awful!).

Posted by: Patricia at July 9, 2008 4:47 PM

Wow...Amanda and I were really on the same wavelength there for a second at about 4:10.

Posted by: xalisae at July 9, 2008 4:49 PM

No, but you said that animal rights activists aren't law-abiding citizens with families. Which would mean criminals without families. You then went on to say that you bet that animal rights activists are contracepting left-wing liberal...so: animal rights activists are not law-abiding, they don't have families, they are contracepting left-wing liberals. That's an awful lot of jumping to conclusions you're doing.

Look, you just did it again right there. "People who hate families" becomes "liberals," the NDP, Democrats...anyone who doesn't think like you, basically. Attitudes like that are why I left the church. When people are knee-jerkingly telling you that your parents can't possibly love you because they believe in healthcare reform, and you know for a fact that they're wrong...it's pretty hard to take them seriously.

Where are the stats on fondness for families?

Posted by: Alexandra at July 9, 2008 4:56 PM

There have been several times that I've almost gotten into severe accidents rather than hit an animal in my car. And what about those darn contracepting conservatives, Patricia? *grin*

Posted by: xalisae at July 9, 2008 4:59 PM

Here, Patricia, try this.

"Christians hate women and want to oppress them."

Do you take me more or less seriously after I have said something so simplistic and ignorant? Are you more or less inclined to believe anything I say once I have said something you know to be incorrect?

Posted by: Alexandra at July 9, 2008 5:00 PM

X - I noticed =) cool!

Patricia - the huge, leaping, generalizations and stereotypes you've been littering this post with have already been shot down by several of your fellow pro lifers. It's still not sinking in is it?

Generalizations are lame - and almost always way off base and based on sensationalistic press coverage and misconceptions. They don't do ANYONE any good.

Still waiting to see those sources that say liberals are less "fond of families" and that "most animal rights activists" are not law abiding people with families.

Posted by: Amanda at July 9, 2008 5:43 PM

Posted by: SoMG at July 9, 2008 5:46 PM

Amanda "Funny we called Native Americans savages..."

we do Amanda? who is "we"? you just lectured us about making generalizations...

Posted by: Jasper at July 9, 2008 5:48 PM

Posted by: xalisae at July 9, 2008 4:59 PM

Personally I know of no contracepting conservatives. :-D Too bad, eh?
All my friends have nice large families. They all have pets and they all eat meat. Some even kill their own animals to eat the meat. One family had a turkey named Christmas and a pig named Lucy.

Most of the animal rights activists I've seen spray paint fur coats of innocent people, killed the seal hunt in Canada which our First Nations People need for their own sustenance and way of life, accost people wearing leather etc.

Then Amanada, call the MSM in on their generalizations of prolifers who are constantly labelled as violent morons who have nothing better to do with their lives. I see you don't like it when we do it the politically correct, MSM-accepted animal rights activists. Interesting how liberals can't take a dose of their own medicine!

Posted by: Patricia at July 9, 2008 6:49 PM

Now all I can think of is The Smiths song Meat is Murder.

"Heifer whines could be human cries
Closer comes the screaming knife
This beautiful creature must die
This beautiful creature must die
A death for no reason
And death for no reason is MURDER

And the flesh you so fancifully fry
Is not succulent, tasty or kind
It's death for no reason
And death for no reason is MURDER"

I can't be the only one who immediately associates animal rights activism with Morrissey, right?

Posted by: lauren at July 9, 2008 6:57 PM

Ohhhh the irony. Patricia, you're saying that in a post from the MSM that's referring to BOTH groups of extremists as nut jobs.

What is different about these pictures?

Posted by: Amanda at July 9, 2008 6:57 PM

However, when prolifers are called nutbars and violent creeps, that is okay, because of course that is what we are [sarcasm].
Sorry, but I had to spell it out to you. Do you get it?
That the MSM calls us nutbars and links us to the animal rights nutbars is not surprising. It's what I would expect from the all-knowing, liberal proabort biased MSM.
Enjoy your dinner, I'm off to eat a juicy gigantico burger! Mmmmmmmm.

Posted by: Patricia at July 9, 2008 7:26 PM

"You just don't have what it takes to be a prolifer, Jess."

Thank God!

Lol, no Doyle I know you're just angry (why? beats me) because any real pro-lifer would welcome anyone into their ranks. And any Christian (don't know if you are one, I'm guessing you aren't though most pro-lifers seem to be) believe anyone can at least become good, or better, through God.

Posted by: Jess at July 9, 2008 9:54 PM

Jess, you are so close!

Where's the realization that the unborn deserve life, just like the baby cows? We know it's coming soon!!

Posted by: prettyinpink at July 9, 2008 9:57 PM

"Enjoy your dinner, I'm off to eat a juicy gigantico burger! Mmmmmmmm."

YOMANK. Sorry, I just vomited a little bit on my keyboard. I hope you cook it well enough, it would be a shame if you got worms : (

Posted by: Jess at July 9, 2008 9:58 PM

Ah Lauren I love that song!

Posted by: Jess at July 9, 2008 10:00 PM

prettyinpink, look at some of my first few comments I did realize that and I said it only to have Patricia and Doyle scream at me that I couldn't be pro-life. So fine, I'm for abortion again. Yay.

Posted by: Jess at July 9, 2008 10:02 PM

jess,

Ya just gotta get tougher skins, man. I get sh*t from everyone here for being liberal.

Posted by: prettyinpink at July 9, 2008 10:09 PM

But you're fabulous. And pretty in pink. Pink isn't a good color on me : (

Posted by: Jess at July 9, 2008 10:12 PM

LOL Jess pink is a good color on everyone, you just need to find the right shade of pink that complements your skin tone and hair color :)

Posted by: prettyinpink at July 9, 2008 10:18 PM

Posted by: SoMG at July 9, 2008 5:46 PM

That's a pretty ignorant claim to make. What do you base that on?

Posted by: pro-life atheist at July 9, 2008 10:28 PM

haha just watch the movie pretty in pink and you will know exactly what to do with that dress.

Posted by: prettyinpink at July 9, 2008 10:34 PM

This again? There may be a tiny minority of hateful RTL'rs. With that logic one could easily say same the same about pro-abort feminists who hate and want to punish men. After all, I'm sure we could find a small sample to fit that description, too.

Not very logical, is it?

Posted by: Janet at July 9, 2008 10:49 PM

Janet, if it wasn't for men there would be no abortion.

*head tilt*

There would also be no babies. Ah, there's the problem with that.

Posted by: Jess at July 9, 2008 11:19 PM

Jess:11:19: Janet, if it wasn't for men there would be no abortion.

*head tilt*

There would also be no babies. Ah, there's the problem with that.

Problem? Maybe not. If we got rid of men, we'd have no unwanted pregnancies, therefore, no abortion and it would certainly solve the population problem.

Now guys, I'm not advocating that. I'm just making the point that I think one could say that abortion demonstrates a disregard/disrespect for the male's role in the reproductive equation.

Posted by: Janet at July 10, 2008 12:23 AM

Quote of the Day"

(by) ~ Former Hillary Clinton ob/gyn and abortionist William Harrison, who credits himself with having committed 20k abortions, referring to an ancient poem describing the plight of mankind.

This is a MUST Read!! Yikes!

Posted by: Janet at July 10, 2008 12:26 AM

"SoMG: 5:46: The Animal-Rights movement and the RTL movement have something in common: Neither is serious about its stated goals. Both are at their cores hate movements which claim concern for the helpless as a justification for hate-activity."

Gee SoMG, can you think of something more hateful than a pro-lifer?

How about an abortion assistant?

Posted by: HisMan at July 10, 2008 12:57 AM

Yes, that is a tragedy. Much like this one:

This was a tiny baby, who was living in his mothers' womb, until his mother visited a "reproductive health" clinic. The abortionist there chopped this baby into pieces and killed him. This could have just as easily been you or me.

Posted by: Bethany at July 10, 2008 8:05 AM

"No Amanda, I'm saying that when the MSM calls animal rights activists nutbars, you jump up and down, screaming like a banshee."

Really? I do???

Could you show me/tell me when and where I've ever done this?

And if I had done it, why would I have made the comparison to show they were basically doing the EXACT same thing?

Wow Patricia, its amazing how you know all this stuff about me that I don't even know about myself...amazing really.

Posted by: Amanda at July 10, 2008 8:10 AM

Posted by: Jess at July 9, 2008 10:02 PM

Well that's a really mature way to deal with things, now isn't it Jess. Thank you for trying to place the blame on Doyle and myself for the fact that you can't or won't maintain a prolife position. Either you've made the decision that you are prolife and will always be so or you aren't. Make up your mind Jess. You are like a leaf in the wind.
My point was that most people can seem to find feelings for animals being butchered, shot in the head, and eviscerated.
But most people cannot seem to find even one iota of those same feelings for little helpless innocent unborn babies being butchered, having their heads ripped from their bodies and being gutted.
Why is that Jess? Is it because we can SEE and HEAR the screams of the animals, but the butchering of the baby we cannot see or hear? Or is it just that abortion is THE means that the feministas use to secure the absolute right to self-autonomy and bodily autonomy for women. Women have an ultimate absolute say as to whether their baby lives or dies, not even the father who helped make the baby has any right of advocacy for the baby. NO other person in society has this kind of control over another person in ANY situation.

I am not talking about vegetarians and vegans in my posts as others have suggested. Most people I know who are veggies, it is a lifestyle choice and not about animal rights. My comments are about die-hard animal rights activists who go about destroying and creating mayhem. And I'm willing to bet most of these people are liberal (even more left wing), proabortion, proeuthanasia, and support anything and everything that will place Earth and it's eco-system above mankind.

Posted by: Patricia at July 10, 2008 8:27 AM

"Most people I know who are veggies, it is a lifestyle choice and not about animal rights."

Uhhh... yes, actually, for a lot of vegans and vegetarians, it IS most certainly about animal rights. Its just that it doesn't fit in to your ridiculous stereotype.

Posted by: Amanda at July 10, 2008 8:31 AM

"I’m a level five vegan — I won’t eat anything that casts a shadow". - Jesse, friend of Lisa Simpson

Posted by: Bethany at July 10, 2008 8:33 AM

I've never had an abortion, but I have caused the suffering and murder of hundreds of animals because I used to be a meat-eater.

If you truly value life, you'll look into veganism. Chooseveg.com is a good place to start.

Posted by: Tracy at July 10, 2008 8:55 AM

Tracy, are you against abortion?

Posted by: Bethany at July 10, 2008 9:08 AM

Posted by: Amanda at July 10, 2008 8:31 AM

Sorry, but my experience is the OPPOSITE. maybe that's the difference in perspective we take to the board Amanada. Ever thought of that?

Posted by: Patricia at July 10, 2008 9:18 AM

"Most people I know who are veggies would never dream of spray-painting someone's coat or stopping abattoirs from operation. They tend to be peaceniks."

That doesn't mean they're NOT animal rights activists Patricia. It means their activism is channeled in a different, less nutty way.

And why do you always write my name "Amanada"?

Posted by: Amanda at July 10, 2008 9:34 AM

Can vegans or vegetarians eat animal crackers? Just curious.

Posted by: Bethany at July 10, 2008 10:10 AM

Vegans can't - they're made of almost all butter. Vegetarians could, but might feel weird about it I guess?

Posted by: Amanda at July 10, 2008 10:22 AM

LOL Bethany.

Dude I would have to be a vegan. You can't have any fun. You can't even eat Skittles. What is life without skittles?

Posted by: prettyinpink at July 10, 2008 10:35 AM

hate*

Posted by: prettyinpink at July 10, 2008 10:36 AM

PIP, I agree...Skittles make the world go round.

Amanda, I didn't even think of the fact that animal crackers have butter in them. lol

Posted by: Bethany at July 10, 2008 10:52 AM

Posted by: Bethany at July 10, 2008 8:33 AM

What does that mean? They'll only eat dirt?

Posted by: Janet at July 10, 2008 11:11 AM

LOL Janet, I don't have a clue...that's what made it so funny for me.

Here's another quote, from Bart:

Bart: Sorry Lis, I can't be a vegetarian, I love the taste of death!

Posted by: Bethany at July 10, 2008 11:23 AM

This is a portion of a letter Dr. Harrison, abortionist, (see QoTD) wrote to the Editor of a newspaper. Note how he sees himself as doing God's work:

Anyone who has delivered as many babies as I have, and has seen hundreds of living and dead embryos and fetuses being spontaneously aborted as have I, knows exactly what we are doing when we provide an elective abortion for our patient. We are ending the life of an embryo or a fetus. Not the life of a person, but certainly a creature that might have become a person under other circumstances. When I am asked this question, I always go back to two of the most insightful and beautiful verses of the Rubaiyat of Omar Khyyam.

Oh, if the world were but to recreate
That we might catch ere closed the Book of Fate
And make the Writer on a fairer leaf
Inscribe our names, or quite obliterate.

Better, oh, better cancel from the Scroll
Of universe one luckless Human Soul,
Than drop by drop enlarge the Flood that roars
Hoarser with Anguish as the ages roll.

When Omar wrote his beautiful and treasured poem over a thousand years ago, mankind had no way of safely canceling “from the scroll of universe one luckless human soul” whose numbers make up that flood of howling anguish; at least, no way of canceling it without risking also the life of the woman carrying it. In this day of medical marvels and, hopefully, ever increasing social justice, we possess such a way.

Embryos and fetuses spontaneously aborted - most, but not all of those “canceled” by “God” - are just such luckless human souls. But a few spontaneous abortions occur in desired pregnancies with no discernable abnormalities. For those girls and women and their families whose circumstances would make their babies “luckless human souls,” I “cancel” them before they become babies.

Physicians who save wanted babies from being spontaneously aborted (and we can save a few now that God once seemed determined to abort), and we who cancel “luckless human souls” are doing God’s work.

Posted by: Janet at July 10, 2008 11:34 AM

Wow.

Well, Warren Hern is doing *his* god's work.

Posted by: Bethany at July 10, 2008 11:38 AM

What amazes me is how some abortionists justify their job. They say because spontaneous abortions exist, induced abortion is OK because it is just another type of abortion?????

Harrison also says: The sperm are alive until they die. And the egg is alive until it dies. Each is a unique human life, etc

He practiced in Arkansas in the 1970's. What medical school did he go to??? I'd love to know how many human anatomy teachers believe that a sperm and an egg are separately (quote) "each a unique human life, etc." (And what does he mean by "etc."?) It certainly makes one wonder about the level of training of abortion doctors!

Posted by: Janet at July 10, 2008 11:47 AM

I know! It's like saying that because some people die at the age of 11 naturally, due to disease, etc...that would justify killing 11 year olds. What a dumb (and dangerous) kind of logic!

Posted by: Bethany at July 10, 2008 12:15 PM

Obviously, his training wasn't very good if he thought that a sperm or ovum alone were unique human lives!

Posted by: Bethany at July 10, 2008 12:16 PM

I rolled my eyes when I saw this. Sorry, Jill, I agree with Amanda and others when they say you're living in a fantasy here.

I could never be vegan or vegetarian. I love consuming charred animal flesh in mass quantities too much for that. It's not unnatural to eat meat; not any different than lions hunting down a lion.

Hmm. Maybe we should stop prepackaging and cutting meat and have people come kill and clean their own damn meat. Let's see how much meat people consume then.

Posted by: Stephanie at July 10, 2008 12:20 PM

Just to clarify...lions hunting down a *deer. =(

Posted by: Stephanie at July 10, 2008 12:22 PM

God created us to have a plant-based diet. He only gave us permission to eat meat (and He put the fear of humans into His animals) after humankind were eating animals and sin was increasing. God gave laws to treat animals with mercy and kosher laws in how to kill them. However, we've come a long way from that. Sin and evil have grown because of our silence.
Abortion is evil and many speak out for them.
We try to get the message out to treat animals and people kindly in a peaceful way. God also put the same spirit into people as He did to animals. Someday God will hold us all accountable for every creature (Hebrews 4:13).
God's Creatures Ministry
Catholic Concern for Animals-USA

Posted by: Jan at July 10, 2008 1:43 PM

Jess: You wouldn't believe how many people lose a piece of their hand and just keep working so they don't get fired.

So...Jess, I guess no Vienna sausages on your dinner menu tonight?

Posted by: Doug at July 10, 2008 2:43 PM

Wow, Jan, thank you for that post.

Refreshing and awesome.

Lets see if Jill tries to tell you that you're just a raving leftist....

Posted by: Amanda at July 10, 2008 2:57 PM

Jan,

Catholic Concern for Animals-USA should consult the Catechism, paragraphs 2415-2418. Especially note paragraph 2417. God love you.

2415 The seventh commandment enjoins respect for the integrity of creation. Animals, like plants and inanimate beings, are by nature destined for the common good of past, present, and future humanity.195 Use of the mineral, vegetable, and animal resources of the universe cannot be divorced from respect for moral imperatives. Man's dominion over inanimate and other living beings granted by the Creator is not absolute; it is limited by concern for the quality of life of his neighbor, including generations to come; it requires a religious respect for the integrity of creation.196

2416 Animals are God's creatures. He surrounds them with his providential care. By their mere existence they bless him and give him glory.197 Thus men owe them kindness. We should recall the gentleness with which saints like St. Francis of Assisi or St. Philip Neri treated animals.

2417 God entrusted animals to the stewardship of those whom he created in his own image.198 Hence it is legitimate to use animals for food and clothing. They may be domesticated to help man in his work and leisure. Medical and scientific experimentation on animals is a morally acceptable practice if it remains within reasonable limits and contributes to caring for or saving human lives.

2418 It is contrary to human dignity to cause animals to suffer or die needlessly. It is likewise unworthy to spend money on them that should as a priority go to the relief of human misery. One can love animals; one should not direct to them the affection due only to persons.

Posted by: Bobby Bambino at July 10, 2008 3:06 PM

"Medical and scientific experimentation on animals is a morally acceptable practice if it remains within reasonable limits and contributes to caring for or saving human lives."

Oh give me a break.

Its perfectly okay to put animals through the most horrific forms of torture and suffering anyone could possibly imagine as long as it "contributes" to caring for or saving human lives, but embryonic stem cell research(embryos, regardless of abortion opinions, do NOT feel pain) is as great of a sin as abortion?

Does Viagra count as contributing to caring for or saving human lives? Because that was experimented on animals. How about shampoo? Guess how they test "no tears" shampoos. They force open animal's eyes and squirt it in. Does children's shampoo contribute to our care? Shaving cream too?

+1 more reason Catholocism creeps me out. Jesus never said ANY of this nonsense. The Vatican made it up, and now thats supposed to be taken as the word of God? Find me the line in the Bible that says Jesus is cool with animal testing.

Posted by: Amanda at July 10, 2008 3:24 PM

Amanda,

"Jesus never said ANY of this nonsense. The Vatican made it up, and now thats supposed to be taken as the word of God? Find me the line in the Bible that says Jesus is cool with animal testing."

Catholicism is not a bible only religion. He placed his authority in a visible unity which he gave the power to decree doctrine on his behalf. So there is no need for it to have been recorded as having been said by Jesus in the bible.

Posted by: Bobby Bambino at July 10, 2008 3:35 PM

"He placed his authority in a visible unity which he gave the power to decree doctrine on his behalf. "

And apparently also the power to keep child molesters protected while they destroyed thousands of lives, my great uncle being one of them. The bastard who molested him for 6 years Christened me - because my great uncle didn't tell anyone until he was on his deathbed 15 years ago (the next year, my entire family converted to UUism). He died of liver cancer after a life time of drinking and drug abuse. That priest is now hanging out in a cushy retirement village in Florida. Hows that for an introduction to religion.

I think there is a reason God put his son on Earth to give us some lessons and guidelines... because when that amount of "power" you speak of is given to regular men, they are pretty much 100% reliable at doing horrible things with it.

Posted by: Amanda at July 10, 2008 4:01 PM

Vegetarianism is also good for the planet. Factory farms produce more greenhouse gasses (methane) than cars.

Posted by: SoMG at July 10, 2008 4:20 PM

reality :2:47: July 9: Pro-life picketers do not hide themselves, destroy property, threaten or hurt people, and certainly are not filled with "rage."

AHAHAHAHAHAHAAA!! AAAAAAHAHAHAAAAA!! Hoo boy, that's a good one, Jill.

Your link: http://www.religioustolerance.org/abo_viol.htm

You are exaggerating the behavior of pro-lifers. Can you be realistic for a moment? According to your statistics (see link) which include the U.S. and Canada, there has not been a murder attempt or murder against abortionists since 2000. 8 years ago!!!! There isn't a Pro-life conspiracy to use violence on Pro-choicers. (Slashed tires -do not qualify as violence.)

From your link:
Resolution to clinic violence:

Since there appears to be no possibility of compromise on abortion access, the conflict between pro-life and pro-choice groups in the U.S. will probably continue into the foreseeable future. This will inspire anti-abortion radicals to continue attacks on people and facilities.

It is to be noted that the essentially all pro-life groups are opposed to violence. Most groups that advocate violence tend to be small, often one person organizations. Perpetrators of violent crimes often work independently. The U.S. Justice Department has investigated attacks on clinics and has determined that no conspiracy is involved.

The American Life League has written a "Pro-life Proclamation Against Violence" which was endorsed by 31 other pro-life groups by 1999-MAR-13. 10 Neither Rescue League nor Operation Rescue had signed on.

Posted by: Janet at July 10, 2008 4:40 PM

Bobby:

When people have the option and ability to eat a plant-based diet, then eating animals is causing them to suffer and die needlessly.

Patricia:

I'm vegan, I've been so for years, and I'm fairly certain I know way more veg'ns than you do. My observations have been that most people who don't eat animal flesh (or byproducts) do it for ethical reasons, and not merely health.

Bethany:

There are vegan animal crackers out there. :)

PIP:

Life post-Skittles is easier than you think.

Posted by: pro-life atheist at July 10, 2008 4:43 PM

It would be so much easier if everyone was just pro-life and vegan.

.....and atheist ;)

Posted by: pro-life atheist at July 10, 2008 4:47 PM

Can you guys eat dark chocolate?

Plus, life without Stephen Colbert's Americone Dream and also Coffee Heath Bar Crunch ice cream. Is there one?

P.S. I'm watching Scrubs and Turk is wearing an Amnesty t-shirt!

Posted by: prettyinpink at July 10, 2008 5:00 PM

And why do you always write my name "Amanada"?

Posted by: Amanda at July 10, 2008 9:34 AM

That was the first time I did it AMANDA! I noticed it (after posting) but I had to go. I have been having some hand issues lately, so my typing sometimes is not good. Pls don't take it personally - I do respect peoples names.It's a pet (oops) peeve of mine!

Posted by: Patricia at July 10, 2008 5:14 PM

Bobby: good quotes! Of course the Earth is ours to use, but we must exercise good stewardship over it. That means of course, not causing undue suffering to animals or any of God's creatures - including the unborn babies.

Posted by: Patricia at July 10, 2008 5:18 PM

Jess:And to celebrate we have fat free brownies made with cruelty free eggs.

So Jess, how do they assure that neither the hen or the rooster has any cruel genes in them?

Posted by: Doug at July 10, 2008 5:20 PM

Jen, I don't know where you're getting this...

"Now the Spirit speaketh expressly, that in the latter times some shall depart from the faith, giving heed to seducing spirits, and doctrines of devils; Speaking lies in
hypocrisy; having their conscience seared with a hot iron; Forbidding to marry, and commanding to abstain from meats, which God hath created to be received with thanksgiving of them which believe and know the truth."
1 Timothy 4:1-3, KJV

Please take a look at this website which references the multitudes of Bible verses which commend eating animals. Even Jesus ate animals.

Posted by: Bethany at July 10, 2008 5:24 PM

"If God didn't want us to eat animals, why did he make them out of meat?" -- Homer Simpson

Posted by: Bethany at July 10, 2008 5:25 PM

PIP:

There are a lot of dark and "milk" chocolates that are vegan. And Soy Delicious Ice Cream is great, and supposedly Temptation vegan ice cream is even better (but I've never had it).

Posted by: pro-life atheist at July 10, 2008 5:29 PM

You're made out of meat too Bethany!!!
nom nom nom nom

Posted by: Jess at July 10, 2008 9:00 PM

lol Jess, yes I am. nom nom nom

Posted by: Bethany at July 11, 2008 7:04 AM

And a tasty-looking meat it is....

Posted by: Doug at July 13, 2008 7:57 PM