Take care down there

JivinJ wrote on July 30 about Planned Parenthood of Columbia Williamette's sexually explicit website, takecaredownthere.org.

take care.gifStudents for Life of America has confirmed that this PP is taxpayer funded.

So you and I are paying for this website that features two men having unprotected oral sex with the punch line, "I didn't spew," and a girl telling friends she's choosing masturbation over partying with them that night. And that's just the start.

SFL released a video today wherein a PP rep confirmed the location sponsoring the site receives Title X funds.

SFL also shows a clip of the oral sex couple asking in its release, "[since] the teen servicing his partner is African-American and the teen being serviced is white... [i]s this one more example of PP's tendencies towards racism?

Comments:

Your PL tribe has made it very clear for the prefence of vague euhanisms over straight talk. No use in beating a dead horse.
But honestly! What is it with some of you folks attempting to create racist issues when obviously none exist?

Posted by: Sally at August 7, 2008 3:45 PM

"What is it with some of you folks attempting to create racist issues when obviously none exist?

Posted by: Sally at August 7, 2008 3:45 PM"
----------------------------------

yeah, Sally...I REALLY wonder why PP is being labeled as racist all the time, do you think it might have anything to do with the founder's philospohy?

Posted by: RSD at August 7, 2008 3:56 PM

Sally, I am constantly amazed at *everyone's* ability to make something racist.

I don't think the bj thing is racist. However, I do think it was wildly inappropriate for teenagers.

Posted by: lauren at August 7, 2008 3:56 PM

This enlightening Jonah Goldberg article might remove the blinders from your eyes:

Posted by: lesforlife at August 7, 2008 3:58 PM

"blow-jays"

"spew"

Wow, I would TOTALLY take PP's medical advice. And it's definitely because they use the most medically-sound, let alone, mature-sounding language.

Posted by: Elizabeth (Gabriella's Momma) at August 7, 2008 3:59 PM

Well, it's comforting to know that PP is just as stupid and immature as most of the Religious Right.

Posted by: Rae at August 7, 2008 4:08 PM

Crying racism on that is a far reach.

It's like saying a table full of white people being waited on by a black waitress is racist.

Posted by: JKeller at August 7, 2008 4:16 PM

Posted by: Rae at August 7, 2008 4:08 PM

Rae, I disagree. I assume by religious right, you meant pro-lifers? Pro-lifers aren't so "stupid" (your word, not mine) as to be killing blastocysts/fetuses/pre-borns/babies.

You must agree that PP's reached new lows with this low class website? I won't even give them the satisfaction of my viewing it. What dorks they are with a capital "D".

What age do you think this new website of theirs is appropriate for?

Posted by: Janet at August 7, 2008 4:23 PM

Pro-Life and Religious Right are not synonomous for me. So no, I'm not referring to PLers.

I'm referring more to blow-hards like Limbaugh, Hannity, Pat Robertson and the late jerry Falwell and the dimbulbs that agree with them.

I think this website is crap.

Hence the reason I called PP "stupid" and "immature".

Posted by: Rae at August 7, 2008 4:29 PM

Crying racism on that is a far reach.

Posted by: JKeller at August 7, 2008 4:16 PM

It could be construed that way depending on the context, especially in a video or movie. Not so much in a chance meeting in a typical restaurant.

Besides that point, don't you find this whole website quite classless and distasteful? What's next? Barney's Affair with Baby Bop? Safe Sex Lessons for Toddlers??

Posted by: Janet at August 7, 2008 4:33 PM

So would the website be less classless and distasteful if it were the white person "servicing" the black person? Or two black people? or two white people?

If this website were unaffiliated with PP, would Jill "Margaret Sanger is alive and well and trying to eliminate the entire black race" Stanek be crying racism at the sight of an interracial couple engaging in consensual oral sex?

I agree the website is basically stupid and in poor taste, but you are jumping to conclusions based on what you want to see, what you think will best rationalize your beliefs about an organization to the eyes of others. Not about what is actually there.

Posted by: JKeller at August 7, 2008 5:21 PM

Rae has her mean shoes on today.

Posted by: Jasper at August 7, 2008 5:32 PM

Yet another reason I don't let my children use the computer unsupervised.

Posted by: Kristen at August 7, 2008 5:44 PM

Students for Life of America has confirmed that this PP is taxpayer funded.

So? It's a good thing.

Actually, the punch line is that you should use a condom when you have oral sex, even if you "didn't spew."

So what? Masturbation is healthy and natural, and carries no risk of pregnancy or disease. Why shouldn't it be encouraged?

At least Planned Parenthood is not using its taxpayer funding to lie to kids, as abstinence-only groups do. I would much rather my child view the Take Care Down There site than the Abstinence Clearinghouse site.

Posted by: reality at August 7, 2008 6:29 PM

Oh my God, you're right! It IS racist! In fact... I really like white clothes so... I must be racist too! And the inside-out Oreo just SCREAMS racism! Why the *White* House? Polar bears? RACIST! Snow storms? RACIST! I'm looking around this room and I see WAY more white than black... so my boyfriend's mother must be a racist too! Come to think of it... my boyfriend once saw a Native woman in a movie and said she was unattractive... so he's racist as well. Plus I made him breakfast this morning AND cleaned up, so he's also obviously sexist. They're everywhere!

Thank you Jill for calling this to our attention. You noble woman.

Posted by: Leah at August 7, 2008 6:54 PM

PS: promoting sexual health is not inappropriate. I think I few of us here need to go back to the Victorian age where young ladies didn't know what sex was until their wedding night.

Posted by: Leah at August 7, 2008 6:56 PM

PP's websites are FILTH. They are X Rated and not appropriate for anyone. I don't have a job because I don't want my tax money going to PP EVER.

I didn't go to the website, but I watched a little bit of the Students for Life video and that's just.........*is ready to throw up*

Posted by: LizFromNebraska at August 7, 2008 7:03 PM

That website is just disgusting. I don't have sound on my speakers but I have seen a couple of their skits and the sickest part about it is that our tax dollars go to pay for that garbage.

Posted by: Bethany at August 7, 2008 7:21 PM

I'm sure your children will thank you when they come home with gonorrhea, syphilis, AIDS, or cervical cancer, Reality.

Posted by: Bethany at August 7, 2008 7:22 PM

Posted by: RSD at August 7, 2008 3:56 PM
..............................

Do you really think that Sanger's views were different from her comtempary's? If you wish to bring up ancient history you really better be prepared to exhibit some knowledge of that history. I have personally known peoples of Sanger's generation. If you think that her views were unusual, you simply don't know what you are talking about.
This is yet another dead horse you PL folk keep whipping. This one has to be ground meat by now.

Posted by: Sally at August 7, 2008 7:24 PM

Do you really think that Sanger's views were different from her comtempary's?

What in the world does that have to do with anything, Sally?

Posted by: Bethany at August 7, 2008 7:25 PM

No one said or even implied that her views were unusual, Sally. You completely missed the point.

Posted by: Bethany at August 7, 2008 7:30 PM

There'd be a heck of a lot less STD's if we did.

Posted by: Bethany at August 7, 2008 7:31 PM

It amazes me to think some people actually think that site promotes "sexual health".

Posted by: Bethany at August 7, 2008 7:37 PM

Posted by: Bethany at August 7, 2008 7:22 PM
......................................

More likely your children Bethany, without such education.

Posted by: Sally at August 7, 2008 7:38 PM

More likely your children Bethany, without such education.

My children's sex education will be much better, as it will include the elements of love and commitment.

Posted by: Bethany at August 7, 2008 7:40 PM

Leah,

Really? "Spew" and "blow-jays" are the technical terms they use in sexual health textbooks? Good to know.

I don't want us to go back to the Victorian Era, but I see no "education" going on except for them teaching kids the new slang. You don't need PP for that, go look at any high school bathroom wall if you want and I'm sure you could find the words you're looking for.

Posted by: Elizabeth (Gabriella's Momma) at August 7, 2008 7:58 PM

Oh, and I know this is off topic, but I just wanted to say that I am going tomorrow to see and hopefully bring home my new baby:

Her name is going to be "Bella."

Posted by: Elizabeth (Gabriella's Momma) at August 7, 2008 8:02 PM

JKeller:5:21: So would the website be less classless and distasteful if it were the white person "servicing" the black person? Or two black people? or two white people

I didn't suggest that. No.

That's a question for Jill to answer. PP is unique, I'll say that.

With all due respect, maybe you need to give PP a second look?

Posted by: Janet at August 7, 2008 8:20 PM

Posted by: Sally at August 7, 2008 3:45 PM

Ha ha, clever. Did you use the word "tribe" to incite another comment on racism to prove your point? Well I won't make one!

I don't know why you keep bringing up this point about "vague euphemisms" on different threads. It's irrelevant.

Posted by: Janet at August 7, 2008 8:27 PM

I went to that website and I was kind of confused. When I was in sex-ed 10 years ago it was called an STD (sexually transmitted disease) and now this website is calling it a STI (sexually transmitted INFECTION). Are they trying to make it sound not as permanent or scary?

Posted by: becky at August 7, 2008 8:35 PM

Posted by: Janet at August 7, 2008 8:38 PM

Oh, darn, my comment above (8:38) was cut off... no time to redo it now...

Posted by: Janet at August 7, 2008 8:40 PM

Never mind, the comment is still on my computer screen. I'll try one more time and keep my fingers crossed.

Posted by: Sally at August 7, 2008 7:24 PM

Ancient history? You must be aware she lived from 1879 to 1966. That's 3 or 4 generations ago for most of us - pretty accessible as far as gleaning attitudes of the times.

Posted by: Janet at August 7, 2008 8:44 PM

" think I few of us here need to go back to the Victorian age where young ladies didn't know what sex was until their wedding night."

So when a man decides to play "hide the snake" with some girl she can go along with the game and then wonder why she throws up every morning?

Posted by: Jess at August 7, 2008 9:09 PM

Oh congratulations Elizabeth on your new pupsicle!

Posted by: Jess at August 7, 2008 9:13 PM

Hey Jess, I sent you an email. Did you get it?

Posted by: Bethany at August 7, 2008 9:15 PM

Elizabeth, Bella is so cute!

Posted by: Bethany at August 7, 2008 9:16 PM

@becky:
they call them STIs now because not everything you can get is a disease. for example, HIV is a virus, not a disease. you can get infected with it but it is not in itself a disease. some STIs can cause a disease in the body but not all of them can or do. so STI encompasses more than STD, or that is my understanding of the term.

new here; hi, all.

Posted by: wendy at August 7, 2008 9:57 PM

PP interview set!!

Posted by: prettyinpink at August 7, 2008 10:42 PM

Bethany:

You seem confused. Masturbation does not lead to disease, and condom use greatly reduces the risk of disease.

And maybe you'll get lucky and your kids will be among the 1% who abstain until marriage.

And if they don't, I'm sure you'll have a lot of fun babysitting your grandkids while their parents finish high school.

Posted by: reality at August 8, 2008 12:25 AM

You all sound like a bunch of prude old hags. This stuff wasn't made for you. It was made for teens like me whose prude, holier than thou parents are too out of touch with reality to give any real advice or life coaching.

Seriously people if you expect your kids to be abstinent you've got another thing coming. Wise up before you find yourself driving your 14 year old to the doctor for chlamydia check-ups while trying to keep her three year old from throwing up on your fancy silk blouse.

Posted by: J-Rocka at August 8, 2008 1:37 AM

Rae has her mean shoes on today.

Posted by: Jasper at August 7, 2008 5:32 PM

Jasper, Rae must really be on her best behaviour around you if you think that is her mean shoes.

Posted by: truthseeker at August 8, 2008 2:21 AM

PP interview set!!

Posted by: prettyinpink at August 7, 2008 10:42 PM

Any idea what you are going to ask about pip?

Posted by: truthseeker at August 8, 2008 2:27 AM

Posted by: J-Rocka at August 8, 2008 1:37 AM

J-R, It is sad that you think your parents are ignorant. Every child deserves to have parents they cna look up to for guidance about lifes decisions. Your dad may not even realize that he is losing his son due to lack of attention/ spending time with you. Does he work long hours away from the home?

Posted by: truthseeker at August 8, 2008 2:42 AM

j-rocka...

I'm 21...nice try. In fact there are *lots* of us here in ur 20's.Also, just because we're opposed to this filth doesn't mean we're opposed to sex in general. I 'mean, I don't want to embaress anyone, but I'm sure most of us married folk really like sex...we just don't want to see our children hurt from its harmful side-effects when practiced outside of marriage.

I'm sorry you think your parents are out of touch. I think you'd be presently suprised to know that that the people here who are your parents age really do understand becausae they've "been there, done that".

We may not agree with you on alot of issues, but we certainly don't hate you and I'm sorry that you feel s uch animosity twoards us.

(sorry if there's lots of typo's in this..I don't have my glasses on and I'm nursing my daughter)

Posted by: lauren at August 8, 2008 4:05 AM

Hi Wendy, welcome!

Posted by: lauren at August 8, 2008 4:08 AM

ts,

10 questions.

1. How prevalent do you find sex and contraceptive use in college-aged women?
2. What education programs does PP put in place for women? That is, what values are promoted and how do you approach them?
3. What is PP doing to prevent unwanted pregnancies? Does this approach change with different age groups?
4.. How common is unplanned pregnancy in women college students, and what approaches do you take towards women who come in with an unplanned pregnancy?
5. What services do you offer women in an unplanned pregnancy?
6. What are the most common decisions the students make and what are the most common reasons?
7. What do you feel are the biggest systematic failures of collegiate institutions on behalf of pregnant and sexually active students? Do you find private and public institutions equally guilty?
8. How is PP approaching collegiate institutions about their unwillingness to take active roles in helping pregnant and mothering students ensue healthy educations?
9. Do you feel college students at private schools like SLU are getting fair choices about their reproductive health? If not, what can be done to change that?
10. Any further comments about female college students' reproductive health, access to pre- and post- natal care, maternal financial aid, and how collegiate institutions affect that.

Posted by: prettyinpink at August 8, 2008 8:19 AM

11.Does PP offer any abortion recovery programs?

Oh, wait. I already know the answer to that.

There abortion recovery sounds something like this, "Now you can get on with your life."

Posted by: Carla at August 8, 2008 8:45 AM

Bethany:

"Reduce" isn't the same thing as "prevent", Reality. Do you realize how high STD statistics, cervical and ovarian cancers, etc are for teenagers nowadays, with comprehensive sex ed and available birth control and condoms everywhere? Also, how does the condom prevent herpes, Reality?

If they follow my example they will. My husband and I were both virgins before marriage. Besides, your comment is based on a false premise- that there are only 1 percent of people waiting for marriage.

Homeschoolers are very much less likely to have premarital sex than those who are public schooled. (Must be all the love and attention they get at home...they don't have to seek it elsewhere in the wrong places). And homeschooling is on the rise in America.

If my child became pregnant by some chance, I would absolutely welcome any child that they conceived, with open arms.

My children's high school will be at home anyway.

Posted by: Bethany at August 8, 2008 8:51 AM

Morning, Carla and PIP! :)

Posted by: Bethany at August 8, 2008 8:56 AM

Morning Bethany!

Posted by: prettyinpink at August 8, 2008 8:57 AM

Morning, lovely ladies!

Posted by: Bobby Bambino at August 8, 2008 9:01 AM

Morning Bobby! :D

Posted by: Bethany at August 8, 2008 9:02 AM

Good morning everyone.

Posted by: lauren at August 8, 2008 9:17 AM

Also, how does the condom prevent herpes, Reality?

Abstinence until marriage doesn't necessarily prevent herpes either. Tons of people get it as children just from being kissed by adults who have it. Herpes type 1 is more common orally than herpes type 2, but it can be transmitted to another person anywhere -- oral, genital, even near the eye. A lot of people think that type 2 is the genital kind and type 1 is the oral kind, but both strains can be transmitted to a variety of locations -- the difference between oral and genital herpes is one of location only. So it's entirely possible for a virgin to transmit herpes to another virgin.

And isn't that a nice way for me to say good morning to everyone! ;) "Herpes is everywhere, have a nice day!"

Posted by: Alexandra at August 8, 2008 9:25 AM

Alexandra, you're right about that, and this is one thing I plan to let my children know that as well, when they get old enough to understand it all.

I don't want to ever just tell them "don't have premarital sex", without explaining why, and what can result of it.

The best thing any young person can do for their own health, emotionally, physically, spiritually, is to become involved with a person who 1.) shares the same values as them. 2.) is willing to commit, 3.) Is willing to wait, and 4.) truly loves them (not just infatuation).

Posted by: Bethany at August 8, 2008 9:37 AM

Oh and morning, Alexandra and Lauren! :) And everyone else! :)

Posted by: Bethany at August 8, 2008 9:39 AM

Yeah, J-Rocka, cause nobody who ever knew ALL about condoms, pills, diaphragms, etc. EVER got pregnant or got an STD. NEVER. ONLY parents who talk to their kids about abstinence and marriage have the kids who get STD's and kids out of wedlock.

*eyeroll*

Good morning everybody! I'm going to see my puppy today and hopefully bring her home. Say a prayer her and my other dog get along so we can take her home today!

Posted by: Elizabeth (Gabriella's Momma) at August 8, 2008 9:51 AM

I think that the genital herpes has to be much worse to deal with all of your life. I know people who get cold sores, but that doesn't seem to be nearly as bad as the genital kind would be.

I wouldn't want either one, but I'm just saying...

Posted by: Bethany at August 8, 2008 9:51 AM

Alexandra, yeah I've read that if your spouse had *EVER* had a cold sore you could be at risk for genital herpes. Yikes.

Thankfully, my husband had not, and neither have I, so I think we're in the clear.

I've also heard that some people can be exposed to the herpes virus and not get it, while others are more disposed to getting it.

I know this has played out with my mil and fil. My mil gets cold sores fairly frequently, but my fil has never had one.

Of course, I wouldn't recommend anyone assume they have immunity and go out kissing or whatever with abandon.

Posted by: lauren at August 8, 2008 9:52 AM

Good morning, Bobby, Lauren, PIP, Alexandra, Bethany, and Johnboy.

Posted by: Carla at August 8, 2008 9:52 AM

Good morning Elizabeth!! Have fun with Bella and babygirl!!

Posted by: Carla at August 8, 2008 9:54 AM

Elizabeth,

i have a shepard mix too, his name is Jasper. I try to post his picture later on...

Posted by: Jasper at August 8, 2008 9:56 AM

This is true, Lauren. Herpes has asymptomatic viral shedding, which means that it's not just contagious when you have a cold sore. Which means you have no idea when you could be contagious.

Bethany, I once heard someone say that if you have genital herpes at least no one knows you have it, whereas if you have oral herpes everyone knows. Which is an interesting way of looking at it, considering that we as a society choose to deal with the obvious prevalence of oral herpes by accepting that it's no big deal and separating it in our minds from genital herpes, which we think of as dirty and a very big deal.

Posted by: Alexandra at August 8, 2008 9:58 AM

That's cool Jasper! Our other shepher/rottweiler mix we had to put to sleep a few months ago at 11 years old. It was time for him to go. :( It was sad, but we were just looking around at dogs, and we saw this one, and she was "the one" I guess. We didn't even plan for her to be a shepherd mix but when we saw her, we just knew.

Posted by: Elizabeth (Gabriella's Momma) at August 8, 2008 10:00 AM

J-R,

Have you ever heard the old adage - when you're 15, your parents seem like the dumbest people on the planet.... but when you're 25, you wonder how they got to be so smart?

There's nothing wrong with having prude parents. You'll be on your own soon enough and you'll understand. Just a suggestion, there are some great websites out there about sexual issues started by young adults. They are more thoughtful than the PP types. For starters, try: http://www.pureloveclub.com/chastity/index.php?id=7

Posted by: Janet at August 8, 2008 10:43 AM

J-R,
You might want to check out the video at this website:

This guy Keith Deltano is hilarious!

Posted by: Janet at August 8, 2008 10:54 AM

Congrats, Elizabeth!!! (I'm going to need pictures of your adorable puppy).

I have a collie-shepherd mix and a purebred German shepherd, and a longhair miniature dachshund. My mix is getting really old, so we're mentally preparing for when she won't be around anymore. :(

Posted by: Lyssie at August 8, 2008 11:43 AM

There'd be a heck of a lot less STD's if we did.

Riiiight... so, that may be so to a point, but do you really think that not knowing what sex is is a viable solution? Ignorance spreads like a bloody disease too, it seems.

Posted by: Leah at August 8, 2008 8:25 PM

I'll be nice today! I think that masturbation, in this sense, is a great alternative. Teens- like I dare say everyone over the age of 12- are sexual, with all those crazy hormones. Exploring these feelings on yourself is a million times better than with a partner, I think we all can agree on that. No chance of disease or pregnancy PLUS you learn what you enjoy so you can have a more satisfying sex life when you do decide to make it a twosome.
Also, we should keep in mind that this ad was in Oregon, a state known for liberalness and a general "hippie" attitude where this type of Web site could fly easier than, say, Nebraska. I think the wording is an attempt to relate to kids while teaching them the importance of protecting themselves. I don't know guys, I'm a huge supporter of Planned Parenthood for all the work they do in teaching teens and adults, with 100% honesty, how to protect themselves if they choose to have sex, which the majority of teens will do. As anyone who has dared to look knows, 90% of PP's services are preventative, like teaching effective condom use and healthy relationship communication. We will never all agree on abortion, but if a kid is determined to have sex and wants to learn how to be safe about it, I'm thankful PP is around.

Posted by: common sense at August 8, 2008 8:48 PM

common @ 8:48: Exploring these feelings on yourself is a million times better than with a partner, I think we all can agree on that.

Huh? You're joking, right? I don't think so.

Posted by: Janet at August 8, 2008 9:21 PM

common sense,

You might want to see the link I suggested in my 10:43 comment to J-R.

Posted by: Janet at August 8, 2008 9:28 PM

There'd be a heck of a lot less STD's if we did.

No, of course not, Leah.

You had presented a strawman, and I had just responded in kind. Of course I believe that women should know what sex is, and they should also know the risks that come along with promiscuity and premarital sex.

I just think that that website (above) is absolutely tasteless and frankly, disgusting, and is in no way the method by which I would ever teach my children about sex - I think it borders on porn- and my being against the site and planned parenthood's method of "sex ed" in no way means automatically that I think my children should live in a victorian age, etc. I hope that clears it up.

Posted by: Bethany at August 8, 2008 10:31 PM

Ok Janet, I'll rephrase- for an unmarried teenager, masturbation is a much better choice than sexual relations with a partner. Can we not all agree on THAT?

Posted by: common sense at August 8, 2008 11:16 PM

And sex with a partner is better than sex with an animal, so what is your point. PP is teaching unsafe behaviour and presenting it to teens as if they cshould be safe and comfortable. Anybody with common sense knows that is not true.

Posted by: truthseeker at August 8, 2008 11:28 PM

What's with the obsession with bestiality among some people?

"Masturbation is normal? Next thing you know sex with goats will be considered normal!" "Legalize gay marriage!? Pretty soon we'll have people wanting to marry their goat!" "That Mormon man has 5 wives?!!! I bet he'll be wanting to marry his goat next!"

Posted by: JKeller at August 9, 2008 8:50 AM

Jkeller, it's not unreasonable at all. After all, for instance- Planned Parenthood, which supports gay marriage, masturbation, etc, promotes bestiality:

"'What would happen if a boy had intercourse with an animal? Many farm animals may become a sex object,' [Dr. Pomeroy] muses. In fact, he explains, he has known many boys who had meaningful sexual relationships with various animals. But, if a boy should wish to try this, he would be advised not to tell anyone."
-- Dr. Pomeroy is author of Boys and Sex and Girls and Sex, books recommended by Planned Parenthood. He advocates premarital intercourse by claiming it has "definite value as a training ground for marriage or some other committed relationship."
(Source: Children No More -- How We Lost a Generation, by Brenda Scott, 1995, page 122. Published by Huntington House Publishers, PO Box 53788, Lafayette, Louisiana 70505.)

And from a Planned Parenthood cartoon about being gay:

Taken from "The Dawn Patrol":

"Being gay is a little like being left-handed," he says. "It's not something that you choose—it's simply the way you are. And the way you are is perfectly fine, no matter which hand you write with, no matter who you're attracted to."

Not being sure of your sexuality is called "questioning," the alien intones. He then narrates a visual demonstration:

"Humans may be attracted to their own gender..."

Notice how that's the first option Teenwire offers—homosexuality as default.

The alien contines: "...or the opposite gender..."

"...or they may be attracted to both genders..."

"...or they may not be sure which gender they're attracted to. It's normal to be questioning..."

**************

And here is Planned Parenthood's promotion of another book called "Dearest pet: on beastiality":

************

So can you see that it's not just paranoia that makes us connect these dots together?

Posted by: Bethany at August 9, 2008 9:43 AM

Bethany,

It's like silly MAD MAgazine of the 1970's, except PP wants to pretend this is serious stuff. Lol.

Posted by: Janet at August 9, 2008 10:28 AM

So all lefties are gay? Wait, some people can choose not to be lefty if they want, so can people choose not to be gay? I'm so confused, PP! Lefty in Latin means "sinister". Am I really evil because I'm a lefty? Gay?

HELP PLANNED PARENTHOOD! I'm more confused now than ever!!

Posted by: Janet at August 9, 2008 10:33 AM

Not being sure of your sexuality is called "questioning," the alien intones.

This is so misleading. Teenagers question everything. That's what they DO. Does an occasional thought mean your sexual identity is in question? Noooooooooo. A girl says, "hey, I don't like dolls, so I must be gay". Bingo! Let's start experimenting....

Posted by: Janet at August 9, 2008 10:38 AM

Janet, you're a lefty? Me too. :) Sort of anyway...I'm ambidextrous but use my left hand for drawing and writing.

Posted by: Bethany at August 9, 2008 10:47 AM

Bethany,

Tell me about it!

Posted by: Bethany at August 9, 2008 10:55 AM

I'm left-handed, Bethany! Though I too am mostly ambidextrous. My righty writing is pretty ugly but otherwise I don't really differentiate between my hands. It helped for playing the piano and cello, that's for sure.

Posted by: Alexandra at August 9, 2008 11:56 AM

How very cool, Alexandra. It also helps when you're painting- if your one arm gets tired, you can just switch arms. :)

Posted by: Bethany at August 9, 2008 12:00 PM

Do you do any artwork, Alexandra?

Posted by: Bethany at August 9, 2008 12:03 PM

Not really, Bethany. I have taken a few painting courses but my strength in that area seems to lie mostly in mixing colors -- my classmates, far better at actually painting than I, would steal my colors because we all knew they'd go to waste if *I* were to use them! lol

I have actually mixed paint professionally, as a scenic painter, on several occasions. But my work in that capacity lies in visually peeling away the composition of the color on a sample (it's sometimes stain speckled over paint, or something equally obnoxious to decipher) and recreating it -- not in painting a house to look like a house, or something. My houses usually come out looking like blobs of madness.

But while I don't do any artwork, I am a somewhat artistic person in other ways -- I nearly went to a music conservatory rather than an academic college, I danced with a professional ballet company for several years, and I have a -- shall we say -- particular approach to decorating my apartment. Recently I found a beautiful antique wrought-iron sort of bird cage, a round one with little flower shapes on it, which I hung from the ceiling in the corner near my dining table. I put a lamp in it (haha, a lamp in a cage, I think I'm insane sometimes) which solves the lighting AND space problem in that area -- we didn't have room for a table/lamp combo, or a floor lamp; our overhead lighting options were slim. But the birdcage is pretty and, for a touch of irony, I embroidered some little birds around the plain lampshade that I used. Heh.

Posted by: Alexandra at August 9, 2008 12:22 PM

How awesome! I want it! :D hehe
You don't happen to have a picture of it, do you? That sounds really beautiful.

Posted by: Bethany at August 9, 2008 12:47 PM

Thanks! I don't have a picture, unfortunately. I didn't think to take one and I'm currently living away from home, for work. I've still got a couple weeks before I go back.

I was shy about posting it because I figured everyone would be like, "Uh, what..." haha.

Posted by: Alexandra at August 9, 2008 1:33 PM

Not me...I love unique stuff like that! You sound very creative.

Posted by: Bethany at August 9, 2008 1:45 PM

Thanks, Bethany. It's amazing how 'creative' you get when you're in what you hope to one day look back on as your 'lean years'...

But as far as drawing goes, basically all I can draw are snails and dachshunds. Regardless of which hand I use. ;)

Posted by: Alexandra at August 9, 2008 1:53 PM

Leah, you do have a point.

I've always felt that "angel food cake" versus "devil's food cake" was a bit rough myself.

Posted by: Doug at August 9, 2008 2:27 PM

" So it's entirely possible for a virgin to transmit herpes to another virgin."

Only when there is a lesion on the lip and oral sex is involved.

Posted by: Eileen at August 9, 2008 3:26 PM

No, Eileen, as I mentioned earlier, herpes has asymptomatic viral shedding, which means that you can be contagious even when you don't have a cold sore. You don't know when you are contagious.

Moreover, herpes can be transmitted by kissing. But then we all just shrug it off because it's a cold sore.

Posted by: Alexandra at August 9, 2008 3:32 PM

But oral sex is much different than kissing.

Posted by: Bethany at August 9, 2008 4:04 PM

Yes, Bethany, oral sex is different than kissing. However, you can get herpes from either.

Posted by: Alexandra at August 9, 2008 4:10 PM

But it's a different kind, right?

Posted by: Bethany at August 9, 2008 4:16 PM

No. It's the same kind. There are two types of herpes, but they can both be transmitted to either an oral or genital location, FROM an oral or genital location. So if someone with a cold sore kisses their spouse, or performs oral sex on their spouse, their spouse will have the same kind of herpes -- they'll just have it in different places depending on where the contact occurred.

Posted by: Alexandra at August 9, 2008 4:20 PM

Okay, well if two virgins are simply kissing, then there is no way that they can possibly get an STD (HSV-2). If they are having oral sex, I don't consider them virgins.

Posted by: Bethany at August 9, 2008 4:23 PM

But they can get HSV-1 from kissing, which can also be transmitted via oral sex once they are married.

Posted by: Alexandra at August 9, 2008 4:25 PM

Oh okay, thanks for the info!

I guess this is a good reason to discourage teenagers from french kissing someone they don't care about and aren't committed to, as well as having sex with them.

Never really put much thought into it before, but I appreciate you helping educate me. :)

Posted by: Bethany at August 9, 2008 4:31 PM

No problem, Bethany. It's something that most people are really fuzzy on. I mean most people know that cold sores are herpes but for some reason think of them as not being "actual" herpes, ie "the bad kind." I guess it's probably at least in part because of the different ways we view genital vs. oral herpes as a society. We can't ignore oral herpes because it's everywhere, including on people we know are responsible and "good" people; so instead we just kind of dissociate it from herpes on the whole, rather than taking a more realistic attitude towards genital herpes -- kind of interesting, really.

Funnily enough, I'm prone to shingles even though I had chicken pox as a kid -- both of which another type of herpes (ack, so much herpes!). If I get really stressed for prolonged periods of time, I might get shingles; so far it's only happened once, seven years ago, when I got chicken pox-ish bumps all over my back just in time for prom (to which I was wearing, sadly, a low-back dress). My younger sister still teases me TO THIS DAY about how I have "dorsal herpes." Ah, sisters.

Posted by: Alexandra at August 9, 2008 4:43 PM

I'm sorry to hear that you have to deal with shingles...I've heard they are very painful!

Posted by: Bethany at August 9, 2008 4:50 PM

Yeah, they sucked, from what I remember. I couldn't even wear a shirt some days because the fabric touching my back was too painful. But on the bright side, I got to miss two weeks of school, and instead got to lay shirtless on my stomach and read or watch TV. Which, admittedly, lost its allure after about 3 hours or so, and which had my dad tiptoeing around the house scared to turn any corner without announcing his presence. Oh well! We laugh about it now.

Posted by: Alexandra at August 9, 2008 4:59 PM

Ah herpes.

There are so many "innocuous" sounding illnesses that are actually herpesviruses.

Mono is a herpesvirus. And as Alexandra said, so is chickenpox.

I got cold sores/herpes from my friend Lindsey in middle school- i used to eat her pizza crust and occasionally she had cold sores and I didn't care- Domino's pizza crust is delicious.

Posted by: Rae at August 9, 2008 11:11 PM

Where is Jessie Jackson and Al Sharpton on this. Why is the black male the one on his knees?

Posted by: maria at August 10, 2008 8:13 AM

"Be the smartest person in the bed."

Just say "no".

Posted by: Janet at August 11, 2008 4:12 AM

Exactly, right, Janet (4:12 AM Post).

Just say NO.

Posted by: LizFromNebraska at August 11, 2008 9:39 AM

TAX PAYER MONEY WAS NOT USED FOR THESE ADS DONATIONS FROM PATIENTS AND THE PUBLIC WHO CARE ABOUT THE HEALTH OF OTHERS FUNDED IT. AND BTW ONLY 4% OF WHAT PLANNED PARENTHOOD DOES IS ABORTION CARE.

Posted by: joan at August 12, 2008 10:58 PM

Posted by: joan at August 12, 2008 10:58 PM

Most of their money is made from abortions. (The mark-up on condoms is pretty low.) The monies spent on advertising are not separated out from all other donations. If you give money to PP, you don't know where it's specifically going.

Posted by: Janet at August 13, 2008 11:30 AM