Sunday funny

by Peter Brookes of Times Online...

cartoon 3-22-09 peter brookes bowling ball.jpg

Read background info to this post here and here.

[HT: Facebook friend Rick Moore via proofreader Angela]

Comments:

Nothing like fresh material.

On a more positive note, political pressure, and serious discussions of impeachment and recall may force Sarah Palin to reverse her rejection of stimulus funds for AK's special needs kids.

themudflats.net has coverage of the rally, and pictures of some very clever protest signs

Posted by: Bystander at March 22, 2009 10:26 AM

Uh Bystander, it's amazing how paranoid you Liberals are about Sarah Palin. You demosrate by your fear how much more competent you really think she is over Obama. I mean she's just teh guv of little ole' Alaska.

However, just in case you didn't notice, the thread is about Barack Obama and the suitability of his head as a bowling bowl.

I submit, as an engineer, it certainly is hard enough and there are more than enough holes in it. The problem is that the PBA doesn't allow hollow balls.

You Liberals are so thinned skinned. I can't wait to see what Obama does when a terorist attack hits this country. His extension of an olive branch to Iran was absolute genius, for Iran that is. In the space of a few seconds and by the utterance of a few words, the sound byte and worship coveting President gave legitamacy to a terrorist country. Now that thaey totally embarassed him what's he gonna do, act like a big man and start a war now?

And how come you Liberal know-nothings haven't said very much by the dramatic increase in drone attacks in Afghanistan? It's called target softening before sending more troops in. I can't wait to see how you Liberals frame this one. Perhaps he'll use Afghanistan as a diversion, when the economy shows that it's not improving. The problem is, you guessed it, Pakistan has nucelar weapons and do we really want to piss them off. Oh I know, let's totally destabilize the Middle East.

In fact, what he's doing in Afhanistan and Iran will solidify their ties to Russia. This idiot is setting up WWIII. And all you young folks (i.e, many of te Liberals on this site), guess what, the Dems wnat to reinstitute the draft because they think the all volunteer army is racist based. Ha, ha, ha, ha, ha. I say you should get used to eating rations. The very guy you worshipped and elected will sure change things, he's going to turn you into dust.

This boy-leader is doing more damage to this country in the shortest period of time than any President in history,

Posted by: HisMan at March 22, 2009 10:56 AM

Sooo.... who wants to see my wedding photos? ;)

Posted by: Leah at March 22, 2009 11:09 AM

The Sunday quote..........

"As my vision continued that night, I saw someone who looked like a son of man coming with the clouds of heaven. He approached the Ancient One and was led into his presence.

He was given authority, honor, and sovereignty over all the nations of the world, so that people of every race and nation and language would obey him.

His rule is eternal – it will never end. His kingdom will never be destroyed.

~ Daniel 7:13-14, New Living Translation"

That is an aweseome prophecy about the inexorable return of the Lord which gives us believers hope, real hope, not the false hope of Obama. I can' wait, how about you?

Posted by: HisMan at March 22, 2009 11:23 AM

His Man, I think you and Glenn Beck need to barricade yourselves in an abandoned mine for the next several years. We'll come get you when it is safe to come out.

Posted by: Bystander at March 22, 2009 11:28 AM

HisMan,
I loved that quote when I read it. I can't wait either!

Posted by: Janet at March 22, 2009 11:37 AM

HisMan, Janet: You bring tears to my eyes. I'm so glad that passage encouraged you as much as it encouraged me.

HisMan, re: your analysis of WWIII: EXCELLENT. I note Bystander resorts to the typical liberal fallback position of mocking the messenger. Yawn.

Posted by: Jill Stanek at March 22, 2009 11:44 AM

Bye-Bye:

It is not I who am afraid, therefore, the need to hide is not present. I don't need to hide behind a hollow man (with a hollow head) like Obama with his fasle promise of "hope". He can give no hope unless it is bottled snake oil.

I say, bring on all the destruction you can muster because, we believers, Catholic and Protestant alike, all that long for His coming, know who wins.

In fact, the Bible says that the beast is going to murder and persecute Christians, as "never has the world has seen".

Bring it on and bring it on strong 'cause all you godless Libs (not godly Libs) are on the wrong side.

Posted by: HisMan at March 22, 2009 11:49 AM

HisMan,

Good points about Iran. I understand they gave Obama the middle finger. Shades of Neville Chamberlain.
A Middle Eastern woman, I believe her last name is Gabriel, warned that efforts like this by Obama are only viewed by middle eastern cultures as a very unmanly sign of weakness. Like it or not, "manliness" is of prime importance to the leaders of Iran. Small wonder their response was a middle finger.
Maybe someone should advise our fearless leader as to how one talks to one's enemies and how different cultures may view certain actions.
Instead of a series of volumes on Winston Churchill, the Prime Minister of Britain should have given Obama "The Life and Times of Neville Chamberlain".

Posted by: Mary at March 22, 2009 11:55 AM

Leah,

I do!!

Posted by: Mary at March 22, 2009 11:56 AM

Yes Jill:

And when WWIII is imminent, how many of these coward Obama worshippers will stand behind their graven image Prez? Or will they take to the streets, i.e., as in Kent State II?

They'll scatter like roaches when the lights are turned on.

"Sorry, it's too late, you chose your fate".

It is sad that they will realize that they were lied to and used by Obama to get elected, not to given anyone hope, but to execute his demonically inspired agenda.

Posted by: HisMan at March 22, 2009 12:00 PM

Bystander,

A very dear friend of mine is a spec.ed. teacher. I have only the greatest respect for her, her knowledge, and her dedication.
Do you know what I've heard from her for years? Complaints and more complaints about inadequate funding for special ed. and mental health services. Even though the Democrats she ardently supports have been the ones in power in her state.
Perhaps that's only her perspective, perhaps she's absolutely right. I would have no way of knowing.
Who honestly thinks enough money has been spent for a cause they hold so dear, as she does her students? What groups do you know aren't asking for more assistance. Also, how often does the state or federal gov't have to say "no"?
I'm sure this is no different in the state of Alaska.
Do you know for certain spec.ed. is inadequate in Alaska? Is more money really needed?
Pouring money into problems does not solve them, and federal funds come with strings attached.
There may be very good reason for Sarah Palin to say "no" to these funds, as are any number of other governors.

Perhaps you should be far more concerned with the taxpayer money Obama is spending for his Wednesday nite cocktail parties, to have Stevie Wonder entertain his daughters, or to fly to those useless townhall meetings.

Posted by: Mary at March 22, 2009 12:08 PM

Posted by: Mary at March 22, 2009 12:08 PM

this is done to create the image that Obama's listening to the grassroots and that he's such a fun, upbeat, hip, kinda guy. Doesn't work for me.

Posted by: angel at March 22, 2009 12:25 PM

Fairbanks North Star Bourough has been nothing but excellent to my oldest son, he is in a special education class because he fell behind in a couple catagories. Mainly speech and social/emotional skills (I can link those to his MMR shots but I'm not getting into that can of worms), but he has excelled in math, reading, writing and yes even HOCKEY!
One teacher and two aids are in my sons class for 9 kids, all are boys.
these links are from the newsminer.com talking about school funding

In Alaska the schools who spend their money wisely like FNSB will have their special education and regular education children suceed like my son is.

There have been a lot of bouroughs in Alaska who have been spending their money wrong therefore they don't have any money. This is why people were freaking out on Palin to get the funding. Palin knew what she was doing when she denied it.
It wasn't out to ruin these kids lives, she wanted to show the bouroughs that if they keep their bad spending habits up that she has the power to take the funds away if the funds are not going straight to the childrens education.

I'm totally in agreeance with Palin on this one.

Posted by: AK Krystal at March 22, 2009 12:36 PM

Jill, I just submitted my comment and it said it was being held for approval by the site owner.
It had three links on it from some school related articles on it.
Never had that happen before. . ..did I do something wrong??

Posted by: AK Krystal at March 22, 2009 12:38 PM

Angel 12:25PM

Me either.

Posted by: Mary at March 22, 2009 1:08 PM

Angel,

The problem is a president should not be a fun, upbeat, hip, kinda guy. He's supposed to be a leader. Even Jimmy Carter, who tried to be "just folks" conducted himself with more dignity.
Small wonder the world tyrants, along with the Iranians, are giving the middle finger to Obama.

Posted by: Mary at March 22, 2009 1:13 PM

Mary,

I couldn't agree more. Obama can make even George Bush look cultured.

* * * * * *

And speaking of Jimmy Carter :) ....... I found this article from across the pond which compares Obama's style to that of Carter.

Posted by: Janet at March 22, 2009 1:26 PM

Jimmy Carter was just plain incompetent and actually believed what he said.

Obama is more like Lyndon B. Johnson: A political opportunist, a spendthrift, an inept foregn policy maker, and supremely dishonest, and probably his biggest flaw: vindictive as hell.

For Obama, as Lyndon B. Johnson said, will also say some day: "I come before you with a heavy heart".

Ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha.

Posted by: HisMan at March 22, 2009 1:33 PM

Posted by: HisMan at March 22, 2009 10:56 AM

Time will tell my friend. From my perspective, Obama is getting us back on track. Let's give him a few months and see what happens.

Posted by: Hal at March 22, 2009 1:49 PM

"Obama is getting us back on track."

Hal,
Which track is that? Will ANY track do?

Posted by: Janet at March 22, 2009 1:55 PM

Hooray for wedding pictures!

Posted by: Vannah at March 22, 2009 1:58 PM

HisMan,

I agree Carter was just plain incompetent, but at least you didn't see him on nighttime talk shows. I think he truly wanted to be "just folks" but discovered too late this does not make for any kind of a leader. Obama is trying to be "hip" and will find out this does not make for any kind of a leader as well.

As for Johnson, I will say he was a master politician. So was Clinton so that isn't necessarily a compliment. The points you bring up about a comparison to LBJ are excellent and certainly correct.
In Vietnam, Johnson thought he could wheel and deal Ho Chi Minh. Obviously he was blissfully ignorant of Vietnamese culture and history. Obama is equally as ignorant of the cultures and histories he is dealing with, as we saw with Iran.
Another thing, LBJ's "Great Society" government programs were a dismal failure.

Posted by: Mary at March 22, 2009 2:05 PM

Hi Janet 1:26PM

Excellent article, thank you.
What was a hoot was Obama giving the Prime Minister of Britain DVDs of American movies. The P.M. could have picked them up at any corner store in England or from Amazon.com.
Does the White House have protocol people or what?
Now it turns out the DVDs don't work in English DVD players. There's some difference of some kind between American and English DVD players so when the P.M. actually sat down to view a movie, he couldn't.

Another real display of class was Obama sending back a bust of Winston Churchill that was a gift from the British after 9/11. Perhaps a bust of Neville Chamberlain would be more appropriate.

Speaking of gifts and LBJ. I understand on a Vatican visit, LBJ gave the pope a plastic bust of himself! Well, now I really think HisMan has made an excellent point!

Posted by: Mary at March 22, 2009 2:14 PM

Hal,

Groan. If only we had to give him a few more months instead of 3 more years!

Posted by: Mary at March 22, 2009 2:17 PM

So... yay for wedding photos?

You can click on the pictures to see them bigger.

Posted by: Leah at March 22, 2009 2:35 PM

Leah,

The pictures are beautiful, thank you. You're a very beautiful bride. I'm a little confused though. (no smart aleck comments people!) Is your husband American? Who are the people there? Are they Indian? I thought henna was only a Hindu Indian custom.

Posted by: Mary at March 22, 2009 2:45 PM

Leah,

Oh, and my heartfelt congratulations to you and your new husband.

Posted by: Mary at March 22, 2009 2:46 PM

Leah, those are great pictures. You were a very pretty bride. :)

Posted by: Lauren at March 22, 2009 2:56 PM

Also, I think we'd all love to hear a little bit more about your marriage customs. If you wouldn't mind would could you share a little bit about what the different things symbolize?

Posted by: Lauren at March 22, 2009 2:57 PM

Leah, your pictures are beautiful! And did I see that you're left-handed too? ;)

Congratulations. You look very happy!

Posted by: Alexandra at March 22, 2009 3:13 PM

You're a beautiful bride! Best wishes and lots of prayers to you and your new husband. :)

Posted by: Vannah at March 22, 2009 3:53 PM

Mary--

My husband is Canadian. We're both Muslim. I just look the part better, since he's blond. :)

Um... I actually don't know most of those people. Almost all the Muslims of Lethbridge are from India and Pakistan (though the old lady who was in most of the pictures is from Afghanistan). She woman in bright green is Shamshad (she has a blog of Indian food, by the way, in case you like such things, and I can testify fromexperience, it is DELICIOUS). Anyhow, weddings are usually large affairs, and our wedding was the first they have ever done at the mosque in Lethbridge, so it was super-exciting. Some people came down from Calgary just to come (Calgary is about 2.5 hours north of Lethbridge).

Henna doesn't really have any religious affiliation. It's mentioned in a hadith by Aisha--the Prophet Mohammad's most beloved wife--so we know it was used way back in those days in Arabia. It's quite common for weddings all across the middle east. It doesn't have any symbolism to it--it's just wicked cool and quite pretty.

Lauren--

Ok. So, it is not required in Islam, but in Pakistan (where most of the people from the Mosque come from) it is customary for the women and men to celebrate separately. So the women were downstairs (hoarding all the good food, as my father-and-law and husband complained), everyone taking their turn having a picture with the bride.

Then my friend Shamshad (the woman in bright green) brought me the wedding contract--my husband had already signed. It listed the gift he was giving me for my hand in marriage. That is called Mahr. It is not really a dowry--it's a gift from the groom to the bride. The reason it's done--besides the obvious part of it having been commanded by God--is so that a woman can enter marriage as a property holder and also to prove that the man can provide for her.

So I signed, and then I was escorted upstairs by a gaggle of women to sign again in front of everyone and to get our walis to sign. A wali is a person who has to approve of the mahr--there must be a wali for the bride and one for the groom. Then we made our declarations of intention (in the name of Allah, I take you as my husband/wife), which is very important to do in front of everyone so that it is obvious that no one is being forced into the marriage.

In Islam, we believe that a marriage can only be successful if it is based on good values, which is why we declare that we are getting married in the name of God. So, if you are marrying a woman only because she is beautiful or only because she is wealthy, etc, the marriage is doomed. Since my husband and I love one another and we married for Islam and for God, I believe we will have a very fulfilling marriage, inshallah (God willing).

Then we were married!

Alexandra, Vannah, etc--

Thanks for the compliments. It was a wonderful wedding. Everyone was so joyous and generous. I couldn't have asked for anything more.

Posted by: Leah at March 22, 2009 4:33 PM

Leah, thanks for the explanation.

I think it's really interesting to learn about how different cultures celebrate marriage.

Posted by: Lauren at March 22, 2009 4:41 PM

Leah,
Beautiful smile! :)

Posted by: Janet at March 22, 2009 5:01 PM

Leah,

Thank you so much. How interesting and educational. Shows what I know!
Are you a convert to Islam? Are you American or Canadian? Will you live in Canada? How did you happen to meet your husband? Is Lethbridge in Canada?
I hope you don't find me nosy, I just find this all so very interesting.

Posted by: Mary at March 22, 2009 5:14 PM

Leah:

Beautiful photos.

Since you are a Muslim do you reject Jesus Christ as the Son of God and instead believe he's just a great prophet?

My nephew-in-law is a Muslim too. He's a great person but it's a shame that he will miss eternal life because of his rejection of Christ.

Jesus Christ claimed to be the Creator in the flesh (John 1:1-3, John 8:56-59 - by saying "I am" the Jews knew he was claiming to be God, an obvious reference to Exodus 3:14, which is why they were going to stone him for blasphemy). He demonstrated His authority by signs and wonders that even His enemies did not deny. Mohammed did not claim to be the Creator, nor did Buddha, nor Stalin. So even if Mohammed, Buddha or Stalin had confirmed their words with signs and wonders, none of them claimed to be the Creator, who created a body to dwell in and sacrifice for us.

C.S. Lewis was a hard-core atheist who set out to show Christianity to be the foolishness he thought it was. He wound up conceding that not only was there a God, but that Jesus Christ was the Creator. He became a born-again Christian as a result, describing himself as "...the most dejected and reluctant convert in all England." (Surprised by joy) Perhaps you are in his shoes now?

And so I will let C.S. Lewis lead you through the dilemma you now face by accepting a religion of men instead of the divinity of Christ.

"A man who was merely a man and said the sort of things Jesus said would not be a great moral teacher. He would either be a lunatic -- on the level with the man who says he is a poached egg -- or else he would be the Devil of Hell. You must make your choice. Either this man was, and is, the Son of God: or else a madman or something worse. You can shut Him up for a fool, you can spit at Him and kill Him as a demon; or you can fall at His feet and call Him Lord and God. But let us not come with any patronizing nonsense about His being a great human teacher. He has not left that open to us. He did not intend to." (Mere Christianity, pages 40-41."

What does it mean to repent? This all comes back to the issue of free will. Apparently the Creator wanted beings He could have a relationship with. But relationship requires free will. You cannot have a relationship with a robot. The problem with free will is that for you as a human being, to be able to give and receive love, must also be able to give and receive hate - and have the ability and free will to choose between the two. And the list of your abilities goes on and on; I'm sure you can figure that list out on your own.

So you and each one of us, as human beings with free will, have already done what you know is wrong. The Bible says that God has written his law upon our hearts (Romans 2:15), and thus by doing what you know is wrong, you have broken God's laws.

Now, take a look at the world around you: This strange paradox of incredibly good, and incredibly wicked. Beauty and evil, all together. This was a perfect world that has been corrupted by sin - disobedience towards God, the author of life. If you have an animal and you remove life, what are you left with? Death. Death is the absence of life. God is going to destroy this world and create a new heaven and a new earth. (Revelation 21:1)

After what sin has done to this world, do you think for one second that God is going to allow even one drop of sin into the new world He's going to create?

No - and every single one of us has broken God's law, therefore none of us will be allowed into the new heaven and new earth.

This is where Jesus the Christ comes in, who created a body that he could sacrifice for us. He paid the penalty for our sins, and rose from the dead to show us that he is the way, the truth and the life, and that we can have power over sin through Him. Jesus said "Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God." (John 3:3) and "For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved."
(John 3:16,17)

What does it mean to be "born again?"
How is one born again? Don't buy into this lie that you have to somehow "become a better person" to make Christ the Lord of your life. All of us are wicked - yes, even the most holy-looking person you know (Romans 3:23) - it was your actions that got you into this mess in the first place, so how are your actions supposed to get you out of the mess?

You come to Him as you are, and essentially you are selling your soul to Him. You are giving him your life and submitting to him. You simply call upon Jesus Christ, the Creator, ask Him to forgive you of your sins, and turn from your sins and disobedience. He is just and righteous to forgive you, (1 John 1:9) and you will be given the gift of the Holy Spirit so that you will know what to do. (Luke 11:13)

Posted by: HisMan at March 22, 2009 6:11 PM

Leah, congratulations. Truly beautiful pictures, I love the blue on you.

Posted by: Elisabeth at March 22, 2009 6:20 PM

Herman:

You are a boor and an a$$. Not to mention insensitive, bigoted and mannerless.

Congratulations, Leah. (I don't know the appropriate thing to say at Muslim weddings, sorry) but may your marriage be a happy one is pretty universal.

Posted by: phylosopher at March 22, 2009 6:35 PM

Herman:

You are a boor and an a$$. Not to mention insensitive, bigoted and mannerless.

Posted by: inclusive at March 22, 2009 6:35 PM

Leah,

Very nice photos!

*what HisMan said*

Posted by: Jasper at March 22, 2009 6:55 PM

Oh well who is it Phylo or Inducive?

And you are an unbeliever who hates anything Christian. What, trying to make it look like there's more than one of you out there?

Actually it breaks my heart that anyone would choose Islam over Jesus Christ.

This is not a popularity contest dude. This is a battle for the souls of men and women. And I take every opportunity to speak about my Lord.

And as your second handle suggests, you accept everyone? Well let me tell you this big guy, a person who stands for nothing will accept anything.

Posted by: HisMan at March 22, 2009 7:02 PM

Ah, well, HisMan in this day and age, people have become so open-minded that their brains have fallen out.

Posted by: Elisabeth at March 22, 2009 7:04 PM

I will stick to my tried and true policy of never debating religion. I will always respect that the Constitution guarantees freedom of religion. In fact the Constitution guarantees any number of freedoms, such as speech, that I may not always like either. I will disagree with what you say, but be the first to support your right to say it.
We will not like or agree with all religions. I will as strongly support Leah's right to her beliefs as I will HisMan's.
I will also make every effort to be respectful.
Whether I am in total agreement with both or not is irrelevant.

Posted by: Mary at March 22, 2009 7:14 PM

Well, Mary, I think you'd probably be in total agreement with my original statement... Leah, blue is definitely your color!

Posted by: Elisabeth at March 22, 2009 7:21 PM

Elisabeth, 7:21PM

Indeed it is! :)

Posted by: Mary at March 22, 2009 7:23 PM

Mary:

Yes we all have free will, and can choose to follow the religion of men and doctrines of demons. However, if you are a Christian, you are commanded to speak the Gospel which is Good News to some but very bad news to most as this site so aptly demonstrates.

My relationship with Christ causes me to shout to the world that, "Jesus Christ is Lord".

Luke 19:39-40 "39Some of the Pharisees in the crowd said to Jesus, "Teacher, rebuke your disciples!" 40"I tell you," he replied, "if they keep quiet, the stones will cry out."

And as regards Islam: Matthew 3:9 "9And do not think you can say to yourselves, 'We have Abraham as our father.' I tell you that out of these stones God can raise up children for Abraham."

It is a privilege to speak for my Lord.

Posted by: HisMan at March 22, 2009 7:26 PM

HisMan,

As I've said, I'm the first person to support your right to your religious beliefs and your right to proclaim them to anyone and everyone you want.
Freedom of religion and speech are guaranteed in our Constitution. I take tremendous pride in the fact that a number of my male relatives fought to preserve these rights.

Posted by: Mary at March 22, 2009 7:31 PM

I just as strongly support Leah's right to her religious beliefs as well and her right to speak of her beliefs to anyone and everyone she wants.

Posted by: Mary at March 22, 2009 7:35 PM

Jill, and every one, George Tiller's trial starts tomarrow. We need to pray for the truth to come out. I realize some may be pro choice on here, but I have to tell you, that Tiller would not have a problem aborting some one like me, because I would have been considdered a fedal anomely, because of my being born blind. In fact, I went on to his websight, and he officers chapline services of all things. I also found out that the abortionest James Scot Pendergraft has his own web sight, and I clicked on it. He mitions nothing about his licesense being taken away by the Florida medical board, and the fact he has appealed the disision, nor does he bring out the fact, that he has spent some time in prision, I can't remember what for. Any way, he has an article on his sight, and it asks the question, "Is a pedis a person?" h

Posted by: RJ Sandefur at March 22, 2009 7:52 PM

Mary:

I'm not sure why you repsonded the way you did.

I asked Leah what she beleived about Christ and so far she has not answered.

RJ:

God Bless you. It appears that you see more clearly than the pro-aborts on this site and in the world.

Posted by: HisMan at March 22, 2009 8:34 PM

HisMan,

I'm not certain I know what you mean by responded the way I did.

Posted by: Mary at March 22, 2009 8:50 PM

Leah, I LOVED the wedding pics and description of your customs. May you and your husband be blessed :-) Thanks for sharing.

I asked Leah what she beleived about Christ and so far she has not answered.

HisMan, I admire your zeal, but perhaps Leah has done you an act of great charity by not answering your question.

Posted by: Fed Up at March 22, 2009 8:52 PM

I hope that Tiller is found guilty of whatever he's being charged with. He's not being charged with murder, though he ought to be, but he's committed such disgusting acts. I really do hope that all goes well and that he is put out of business.

Posted by: Vannah at March 22, 2009 8:53 PM

Leah,

Thank you for sharing the photos from your wedding.

Thanks for elaborating on the cultural aspects of the ceremony.

My wife is Canadian, I am Texan. We got married in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada. The cereromony was your typical 30 minute affair. The wedding feast and reception lasted all day and into the night.

That is a Canadian custom.

I really like the hat your husband wore. I have always thought those are way cool.

What is the arabic word for the hat?

Congratulations. I pray that you and your husband find complete happiness and fulfillment as you walk out the rest of your lives together.

yor bro ken

Posted by: kbhvac at March 22, 2009 9:05 PM

Fed Up 8:52PM

I agree. It was very gracious of Leah to share her very special day with us.
I just think congratulations are in order and this is not a time for religious debate or discussion. Your post is very appropriate.
I have attended Jewish weddings. I would not think it appropriate for me to discuss or debate religous differences with the bride, groom, or guests.

Posted by: Mary at March 22, 2009 9:05 PM

I think the coolest thing about a Jewish wedding (which I only saw on '7th Heaven' when Matt, the oldest Camden, married a Jewish girl named Sarah) is the crushing of a glass at the end. That would be a cool custom to observe.

Posted by: LizFromNebraska at March 22, 2009 9:21 PM

President Barack Obama said he believes the global financial system remains at risk of implosion with the failure of Citigroup or AIG, touching off “an even more destructive recession and potentially depression.”

His remarks came in a “60 Minutes” interview in which he was pressed by an incredulous Steve Kroft for laughing and chuckling several times while discussing the perilous state of the world’s economy.

“You're sitting here. And you're— you are laughing. You are laughing about some of these problems. Are people going to look at this and say, ‘I mean, he's sitting there just making jokes about money—’ How do you deal with— I mean: explain. . .” Kroft asks at one point.

“Are you punch-drunk?” Kroft says.

------------------------------------------------------

"He goes and accuses me of exporting terrorism: the least I can say is that he's a poor ignoramus; he should read and study a little to understand reality," said Chavez, who heads a group of left-wing Latin American leaders opposed to the U.S. influence in the region.

Chavez said Obama's comments had made him change his mind about sending a new ambassador to Washington, after he withdrew the previous envoy in a dispute last year with the Bush administration in which he also expelled the U.S. ambassador to Venezuela.

---------------------------------------------------

Well I guess being called an 'ignoramus' is a few steps up from being called Satan.

yor bro ken

Posted by: kbhvac at March 22, 2009 9:23 PM

WASHINGTON – President Barack Obama says the U.S. hasn't done a good job sorting out who should be released from the Guantanamo Bay detention center.

Obama says in a broadcast interview that some of the people released from the facility in Cuba have rejoined terrorist groups. He also says U.S. officials have not always been effective in determining which prisoners will be a danger once they are let go.

---------------------------------------------------

I realize that this problem is above my paygrade, but if you have not determined who is dangersous and who is not then maybe you should hold off on releasing them.

Maybe you should have some kind of legal proceding to determine guilt or innocence.

You know like, uhh, a military tribunal.

Ignoramus or satan?

Both?!?!?

yor bro ken

Posted by: kbhvac at March 22, 2009 9:31 PM

Leah, thank you for sharing those photos! You were a beautiful bride and I wish you a happy and successful marriage. :)

Posted by: Kel at March 22, 2009 10:02 PM

I predict: you will all be very disappointed by the outcome of Dr. Tiller's trial.

Posted by: TheDelphicOracle at March 22, 2009 10:04 PM

Just as a question, KBHVAC, what does yor bro ken mean? That may sound like a stupid question- because it is- but what does that mean?

Posted by: Vannah at March 22, 2009 10:06 PM

His Man, I'm going for my doctorate of Ministery. I ask you to pray for me. Thanks for your words of incarragement. On another note guys, A few days ago, I was reading some past posts, they wirn't resent. However they are something worth mentioning. I beleave, the words of Jesus, when he says, "Blessed are the mercyfull, for they shall obtain mercy." I'm sick and tired of people judging post abortive wimen! People were saying in effect, that Shanices mother got what she deserved, and to those people who feel that way, What if Jesus decided to not die on the cross for us? What if he witness someone being thrown into hell, and he said to his fother, "He got what he deserved?" Now... What did Jesus do? How did he handle these situations? My faverate story in the new testament is the story found in Luke 7:37-50. Jesus had been invited to the home of a religious leader, and while he was their, a woman(We are not given her name.) Came up behind him, and washed is feet with her hair, and poured an ointment over them. The religious leader said if this man were a profet, then he would have known what a sinnful life she lives. Jesus didn't condimn her. He forgave her. Then we see another woman caught in the vary act of adultary, and we know what happened their. "Where are they that condimn you?" Jesus asked. Their are none Lord." Then neither do I condimn the, go and sin no more." These wimmen made some wrong... sinfull choices... but when hthey came with a broken and contrite spiret, the Lord Jesus was willing to forgive them, and that's what women such as Sycloria Williams, mother of baby shanice, and Angele, mother of baby Rowan need. Sycloria made a statement in her article in the Florida Catholic, and it has stuck with me. "They'll listen because thats their job. But they won't care, they won't understand." She also said that the staff at the abortion mill, made her feel disrespect. Thats already bad enough, and then to have some armchair quartbacks sit in judgment, when they haven't a clue of the paign she must be going through is beyound me.

Posted by: RJ Sandefur at March 22, 2009 10:14 PM

yor bro ken,

“Are you punch-drunk?” Kroft says.

The worst part is yet to come. Obama answers:

“No, no. There's gotta be a little gallows humor to get you through the day,” Obama said, with a laugh.

Gallows=death=abortion. Is this ALL funny to him? It is sick.

Posted by: Janet at March 22, 2009 10:17 PM

RJ- Good luck in your studies! Your words about the merciful Jesus are beautiful. I'll remember you in my prayers.

Posted by: Fed Up at March 22, 2009 10:22 PM

Obama needs to figure out when to speak, and when to keep his thoughts to himself instead of putting his foot in his mouth at every turn.. This must be what he meant by transparency.

Posted by: Janet at March 22, 2009 10:33 PM

Posted by: Yo La Tengo at March 22, 2009 10:36 PM

YLT, they're not bullet holes. Look again.

Posted by: Kel at March 22, 2009 10:38 PM

Posted by: Yo La Tengo at March 22, 2009 10:36 PM
********************************************

Really? You accept the murder of innocent unborn children and aren't affected at ALL by the photos (which I'm sure you think are faked), but you are so offended by this cartoon that you can't even tell they aren't bullet holes???

(You are pro-choice, therefore you do support the assassination and murder of human beings. Though I know you don't believe that you do.)

Posted by: Kel at March 22, 2009 10:41 PM

YLT,
You always assume the worst of pro-lifers. Why is that? (No need to answer.) Lighten up a bit, life is too short.

I love Leah's sarcastic comment earlier:

"President Obama appears to have bowling ball holes in his head. How silly. His head would make a terrible bowling ball. Especially the way the artist depicted him. You need someone which a spherical skull. Duh."

Posted by: Janet at March 22, 2009 10:49 PM

YLT: "So you've got a cartoon up with our president riddled with bullet holes. Thats very decent of you. I would never wish assassination or murder on my worst enemy, but you do it to our sitting president. You sure our classy!"

Bullet holes? What are you talking about?

Posted by: Oliver at March 22, 2009 10:54 PM

RJ:

God bless you for your persaverance despite your challenge of being physically blind.

Yes, I have prayed that the Lord give you the desires of your heart: Not that he gives you what you want but that what you want is what He wants.

Posted by: HisMan at March 22, 2009 10:57 PM

MODERATORS: I don't know what we have to do to get the spam under control, but this is getting ridiculous.

Posted by: Elisabeth at March 23, 2009 2:28 AM

regarding ken's posts -- This man (our Community Organizer) is dangerous!!!

Posted by: Eileen #2 at March 23, 2009 7:28 AM

YLT, the picture is of Obama's head with bowling ball holes in it. It's supposed to show his head as as bowling ball. A reference to his special olympics quip.

Posted by: Lauren at March 23, 2009 8:52 AM

re: HisMan at March 22, 2009 10:56 AM

Posted by: Yo La Tengo at March 23, 2009 4:43 PM

Yes, such a fool... her state has a balanced budget and pays surpluses back to the citizens.... what a horrible governor! Doesn't she know that all good politicians spend money they don't have?

Posted by: Elisabeth at March 23, 2009 4:45 PM

"I fully support Palin's involvement in the political process. Her making a fool of herself does a whole lot of good for liberals.

Posted by: Yo La Tengo at March 23, 2009 4:43 PM"

We'll see who has the last laugh Yo-Yo.

And anything to make you Libs feeeeeeeeeeeeeeeel good. It'a all about feeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeling and no substance with Liebarrels isn't it.

Posted by: HisMan at March 23, 2009 7:58 PM

Hey... I didn't know people were still talking to me. I'm not glued to the computer--I was over with friends yesterday, so apologies. It's also late at night now, so I may not be able to finish depending on what people said... I noticed HisMan was full of words for me.

Mary--

My husband and I both converted to Islam about a week before we got married. It's a very fulfilling lifestyle, and it is wonderful for me to see how excited my husband is to discover more about it.

I am American, but we're both living in Canada now. Yes, Lethbridge is in Canada--in the west in Alberta. I met him in France, actually, when I was in grade 11. We were both exchange students to the Paris-area.

I don't find you nosy at all. :)

HisMan--

Well, I could say the same about you, couldn't I? That it is a shame that you will not be able to share in eternal life in Paradise because you set up equals with Allah/God. However, I would not say such a thing because I am not your Judge. God is, and only He knows what your destination will be in the Hereafter.

Jesus--peace be upon him--I would not call "merely" a prophet. First of all, because to be a prophet of God is not something "mere" at all. It is a great thing--the greatest a person could hope for. On top of that, many Muslim scholars believe Jesus (pbuh) to be one of the very greatest prophets. He is certainly one of my favourites.

Inclusive--Congratulations is perfectly appropriate. :)

ken-- That hat is called a kufi. They sell really nice ones online.

Again--thank you everyone for the congratulations. If I missed anyone's questions, I apologize. I really must get to bed.

Posted by: Leah at March 23, 2009 11:40 PM

re: Elisabeth at March 23, 2009 4:45 PM

Alaska's balanced budget and surplus are largely an effect of them acting not as a state but as colony of the US mainland. Congress pays for everything in Alaska - it's all done through earmarks and oil payouts. Have you seen the poverty in Alaska though? It's quite staggering. They have a meth problem of epic proportions. Perhaps if they spent some cash on treatment programs and on things for kids to do, they wouldn't have to spend so much on nose candy.

Posted by: Yo La Tengo at March 24, 2009 2:28 AM

Leah 11:40PM

Thank you for answering my questions and not considering me nosy!
You state your beliefs beautifully. Our Founding Fathers guaranteed us freedom of religion and speech. They did not guarantee we would all agree on religion or always like what people say. You and HisMan both have the right to the religion of your choosing and to speak of your faiths freely. We may not all agree but as you so well point out, we can be respectful.
Thank you again for sharing your very special day with us and answering our questions. Again, congratulations and I wish you and your husband every success and happiness.

Posted by: Mary at March 24, 2009 9:00 AM

YLT 2:28am

Kind of sounds like the typical Democrat liberal welfare mess afflicting some of our major cities and states, or what's left of them.

Posted by: Mary at March 24, 2009 9:02 AM

Mary--

Thank you too. I'm glad to tell you about it.

Posted by: Leah at March 24, 2009 9:34 AM