2009 Planned Parenthood Mother's Day fundraiser

Last year Planned Parenthood used the mother-daughter pro-abortion team of Blythe Danner and Gwyneth Paltrow as its Mother's Day
pitch(fork) women.

This year it's children's book author Judy Blume. Not that Judy was considered harmless and child friendly before now, despite her target audience. Wikipedia reports, "She is recognized as one of the most banned children's authors in the United States.... Forever was the second most challenged book of 2005, according to the American Library Association."

We now know Judy means to target her audience yet another way, by supporting the US's largest abortion provider.

Sometimes I think PP does these things just to aggravate us. "There is no organization that I know of that supports motherhood and all that it means more than Planned Parenthood"? This is so ridiculous I have to laugh. Click to enlarge...

pp mothers day judy blume.jpg

Comments:

"Nothing has made me prouder than seeing my own children"

They won't see the ones they authorize PP to kill !

Posted by: Leslie Hanks at May 5, 2009 5:32 PM

Is there no end to their evil? I remember during the election pro aborts were sending donations to Planned Barrenhood and mailing Sarah Palin to "thank" her. That was totally disgusting but this sets a new low even for them.

Posted by: Joanne at May 5, 2009 5:33 PM

Abortion doesn't make you a non-mother - it only makes you the mother of a dead child.

Posted by: Chris Arsenault at May 5, 2009 5:34 PM

Planned Parentless always loves Mother's Day, don't they? Kill those babies. Kill em all.

Posted by: heather at May 5, 2009 5:46 PM

llHey they have a point. If your mom is prochoice you should really thank her for not killing you!

Posted by: Lauren at May 5, 2009 6:09 PM

Maybe Judy might need to be reminded that it's easy being pro-"choice" when she's not the one being killed! Some role model she is.

Posted by: Mike Hassett at May 5, 2009 6:11 PM

As Ronald Reagan famously said.... "I've noticed that everyone who is for abortion has already been born."

Posted by: Joanne at May 5, 2009 6:22 PM

It's kind of like the KKK holding fundraisers for Black History Month, or the Skinheads holding a Hanukkah fundraiser.

And what parent in their right mind would support an organization that considers children vermin, and that sends statutory rape victims back to their abusers for more abuse?

This is as sickening as when that moron William H. Macy was in an ad saying how he supports PP because he has daughters. He might as well have added, "and I pimp them out to my friends", since that's what PP thinks teenage girls are for.

Posted by: Christina at May 5, 2009 6:41 PM

I can not believe the nerve of Planned Parenthood, taking the day set aside to CELEBRATE MOTHERHOOD by requesting donations that go to services that DESTROY motherhood!

Posted by: LizFromNebraska at May 5, 2009 6:52 PM

Why would it take courage to make a donation? I gotta LOL at that one!

Posted by: heather at May 5, 2009 6:56 PM

How awkward to accept donations. I know that this is off of the subject at hand, and I have know idea if this ever upsets you, but why is that so many pro-choice people are Anglo and connected to money somehow? I wouldn't say that all are like that- by any means- but is this some sort of racial privilege thing? I notice these things. Supporters of Planned Parenthood are pretty much all Anglo; and not that I would be fond of seeing Hispanics up there cheering them on, but I feel bad for my Anglo friends. They always have to deal with people of their own race publicly making them look bad. If Planned Parenthood finds themselves worthier of life and respect than unborn children, the impoverished, the non-Anglo, et cetera- that makes the old stereotype that all Anglos are bigots stronger.

Do any of you think of that, regardless of your race?

Posted by: Vannah at May 5, 2009 7:37 PM

Really, really sad; I remember reading all of Judy Bloom's books when I was a kid back in the '70's.
Ah, but eyes can be opened to see the light and the heart can be made right again.

Posted by: John S.C. Hetherington at May 5, 2009 8:12 PM

Planned Parenthood has it.

The best way to show gratitude for a lifetime of sacrifice is to help fund more sacrifices.

The terrible arrogance of pro-aborts knows NO bounds.

Posted by: Jeff Stone at May 5, 2009 8:19 PM

"It's not easy being a Mother these days..."

Because families who have more than 2 children are looked upon as selfish, inconsiderate drains on our world's resources - given dirty looks at the grocery store, and called religious-wacko-pro-life-zealots.

Posted by: Janet at May 5, 2009 8:26 PM

I used to go to Planned Parenthood for my annual exam and birth control because it was "free" When I didn't have decent insurance and my income was really really low I was able to get an annual exam and birth control (which I no longer take) for "free" I say "free" because it wasn't free.... they would demand a donation out of me and guilt me into giving every time I had to fill my prescription.

Posted by: JM (Jana) at May 5, 2009 8:39 PM

JM, trust me, they were soaking the government for your "free" services.

Posted by: Christina at May 5, 2009 8:44 PM

Christina,

I hear ya.

Posted by: JM (Jana) at May 5, 2009 8:52 PM

So what this basically says is that any mother who gave daughters answers to questions they couldn't figure out how to ask, raised sons to love and respect female family members, and is struggling to raise strong, independent, and confident children in the face of unbelievable odds, is a supporter of Planned Parenthood. Guaranteed, according to Judy Blume. I guess people who don't support Planned Parenthood must just be misogynists raising weak, conforming, insecure, and sexually ignorant children, then.

Posted by: Marauder at May 5, 2009 9:19 PM

Janet, I have 2 friends with larger families, and what you have mentioned above has actually HAPPENED TO THEM!!!! One of my friends has 5 kids and the other has 8. They get the dirty looks in the grocery store all the time. One time my pal was out eating with her 5 kids, and a woman gave her "the look" while "Kim" was paying her bill, and the woman muttered " You should get your tubes tied." For the record, she did have her tubes tied after baby # 5. I cannot believe how rude!!

Posted by: heather at May 5, 2009 10:33 PM

And my girlfriend said that the lady was elderly.

Posted by: heather at May 5, 2009 10:34 PM

Posted by: heather at May 5, 2009 10:38 PM

No, Obama doesn't give anyone money. He takes your money and "gives" it. Taxes are necessary, but there is such a thing as unjust taxation.

Posted by: Jon at May 5, 2009 11:27 PM

"It's not easy being a Mother these days..."

Posted by: Janet at May 5, 2009 8:26 PM

women with 2 or more children will likely be reclassified as "eco-terrorists".
It use to be that PP-types just thought these "sort" of women were simply stupid.
Now women with more than 1 child are considered dangerous.
Of course we are dangerous -we are out breeding you liberals!

Posted by: angel at May 6, 2009 7:00 AM

Posted by: heather at May 5, 2009 10:38 PM

PP may get a lot of taxes and things from the government but I am sure they are still in need of donations to run their facilities. For example State Universities get a lot of funding from the state but they still need donations as well.

Just playing devil advocate. ;)

Posted by: JM (Jana) at May 6, 2009 7:37 AM

I listened to a popular podcast the other day where it talks about people and stories. One story that as told on this day was in reference to a teenager who had a debate about abortion in school one day. She formulated her opinion which was different from her mothers. Her mother grounded her to her room that evening to think about the topic of abortion. Finally to shut her mother up she agreed that abortion is fine. Of course the mother didn't believe her I believe they continued to talk about it. For this teenager's birthday her mother made a donation to PP or something similar and gave her daughter a card from this place and inside wrote, "I made a donation for an abortion in your name"

How horrible.

Posted by: JM (Jana) at May 6, 2009 7:42 AM

Does PP believe this crap or are they secretly laughing at us: "LOL, yeah let's write about how great it is to be a mother. there are some Americans who are into that 'mothering' stuff still"

Posted by: Pansy Moss at May 6, 2009 7:52 AM

PP still believes that some of us still believe their crap. They are counting on it, at least. I am so glad to know the truth about PP!!

Posted by: Carla at May 6, 2009 7:55 AM

Hi JM(Jana)!!! So nice to see you here!! :)

Posted by: Carla at May 6, 2009 7:55 AM

Jana, that is a terrible story. Truth is, I used to go to PP myself for my gyn services. I severed the ties after I began to educate myself about abortion.

Posted by: heather at May 6, 2009 8:01 AM

Carla, good morning!:]

Posted by: heather at May 6, 2009 8:03 AM

Now women with more than 1 child are considered dangerous.
Of course we are dangerous -we are out breeding you liberals!

Posted by: angel at May 6, 2009 7:00 AM------------------------------------------------------------- angel, LOL! But true!

Posted by: heather at May 6, 2009 8:30 AM

Good morning, Heather! I went to PP for years through high school and college.

Posted by: Carla at May 6, 2009 8:54 AM

"2009 Planned Parenthood Mother's Day fundraiser "

Ain't that the "mother" of all ironies????

Posted by: Tina at May 6, 2009 9:19 AM

Angel said, "Now women with more than 1 child are considered dangerous.
Of course we are dangerous -we are out breeding you liberals!

Not really--as President Obama has made clear by his uncompromising support for public education, no matter how high its expense or poor its quality--conservatives are just breeders for the liberals. The government takes the children when they are hardly even ready to leave their mothers yet and subjects them to propaganda in the schools for their entire childhood. The smarter ones get to go to a liberal university. President Obama has also made civilian service requirements mandatory for all young adults. And, of course, if some conservative children do remain conservative, they will still be forced to pay for the debts of the myopic, existentialist liberals. Conservatives get to do the hard labour.

Posted by: Jon at May 6, 2009 9:20 AM

Oh this angers me so! I am a mother of two, pro-lifer (former pro-choice until, by the Grace of God, my eyes were opened!) and am discusted by Judy Blumes comments! How can this woman say that funding the death of innocent lives could honor the courage of the mothers who brought life into the world!! What is wrong with these people!!!?? Do they not know what goes on behind the doors of these facilities?? We MUST pray that Obama's heart is softened and his eyes are opened to the truth about abortion. Only God can change this nation.

Posted by: April at May 6, 2009 9:23 AM

OK people, so notice Blume's letter mentions nothing about abortion. Nothing. Now, you could say that's because she's being sneaky, and PP is being sneaky. Or really, is she doing this because --amazing thought-- maybe they do plenty of good as well aside from what we may or may not (in the case of this site what we may) think about abortion? I'm quite sure abortions are a small fraction of what they actually do, and the really gruesome later term ones are I would guess really, really rare. I mean, I want to see some verifiable numbers. There's a lot of heartstring-tugging and spin and anecdotes, but really show me why I should be afraid of PP.

Posted by: sean at May 6, 2009 9:45 AM

Hi Sean. It really doesn't matter how small a percentage of abortions PP does compared to the rest of their work. In fact, how does doing more and more of a good thing make a bad thing you do less bad? Suppose I rape 1 women a year, but go on to pay for the college education of 99 women who could not otherwise afford it every year. Year after year after year. You could argue that rape is only 1% of what I do; a small fraction compared to all the women I help get ahead in life.Suppose that I also decide that once every ten years, not only will I rape a woman, but I will also torture her in the most sicking and absurd ways- a "really gruesome" rape. Now that's only once every 10 years; this gruesome rape that I commit is really, really rare. Does the fact that I have put 990 women through college for that one gruesome rape somehow justify or make my one gruesome rape less gruesome? The fact is, I am a moral monster period, not matter what other "good" I might do.

As long as PP commits a single abortion- one, that's all it takes, and the organization approves (as in, that is what they do and it isn't a fringe member) then they are evil. Period. No matter how much good someone does, they can not be supported if they do even one killing. PP killed over 300,000 unborn human beings last year. They are the world's largest killers of the unborn. It makes absolutely no sense to look the other way and talk about all the good they do when they kill 300,000 human beings. You should not fear PP, but you should know why they can not in good conscience be supported.

Posted by: Bobby Bambino Author Profile Page at May 6, 2009 9:57 AM

PP doesn't DO GOOD. They were founded by a racist eugenicist who wanted to make sure that poor people and those of different skin color did NOT reproduce. That's why they locate their "clinics" in poor neighborhoods.

There is NO GOOD in what they DO. There is only EVIL.

Posted by: LizFromNebraska at May 6, 2009 9:58 AM

Jon,

"The government takes the children when they are hardly even ready to leave their mothers yet and subjects them to propaganda in the schools for their entire childhood. The smarter ones get to go to a liberal university."

And a lot of well-meaning parents send their children to the prestigious liberal universities thinking they will get a "good education", but it ends up being a good "brain-washing" if they aren't smart enough to recognize the difference.

Posted by: Janet at May 6, 2009 10:04 AM

Janet, I just read a Townhall article by Walter E. Williams. It mentions some of the prestigious liberal universities. Read "Fraud in Academia".

Posted by: Jon at May 6, 2009 10:17 AM

Sean,

Valerie at "2 Seconds Faster" has a great article about Planned Parenthood's services, comparing 2002 to 2008.

Posted by: Janet at May 6, 2009 10:18 AM

Jon,

I just read the article you linked to - the statistics are sickening.

Academic fraud is rife at many of the nation's most prestigious and costliest universities. At Brown University, two-thirds of all letter grades given are A's. At Harvard, 50 percent of all grades were either A or A- (up from 22 percent in 1966); 91 percent of seniors graduated with honors. The Boston Globe called Harvard's grading practices "the laughing stock of the Ivy League."

IMHO, parents would do well to save money by sending their children to community college for the first two years. I think community college is a very good value for the money. The classes I have taken post-college years "for enjoyment" have been excellent.

Posted by: Janet at May 6, 2009 10:31 AM

Bobby,

"I am a moral monster period, not matter what other "good" I might do."

That sums it up pretty well for PP.

* * * *
On a different note,
keep us posted, Bobby! We're praying for you all!
(Today is the feast of St. George, less known for being the patron of the Boy Scouts of America.)

Posted by: Janet at May 6, 2009 10:39 AM

"On another note, why does PP need any donations? Didn't Obama just give them a ton of $$ ????????"

They've been making 1/3 of their annual intake off of taxes since well before Obama was in office.

But God forbid we even insinuate Bush wasn't completely pro-life...

Posted by: Greg at May 6, 2009 10:41 AM

Greg,

Because PP keeps building abortion mega-centers around the country, and has plans (I'm sure) to build them around the world (on our tax dollars, as well).

Posted by: Janet at May 6, 2009 10:47 AM

Greg,

So how does Obama plan to make abortion RARE? Shouldn't he be setting up nation-wide crisis pregnancy centers? Oh, wait, then the pro-abort constituency would be unhappy.... What's a pro-abort President to do?? Pretend to cater to both sided of the "choice-coin", I guess.

Posted by: Janet at May 6, 2009 10:52 AM

Greg suggested, "Bush wasn't completely pro-life..."

What's your point? that Presidents Obama and Bush are equally guilty? President Bush took his pro-life policies very seriously. And I think you were the one who recently also suggested that pro-lifers should not get caught up in a legal solution to abortion, at least not one that would be to the detriment of cultural efforts such as sidewalk counselling or crisis pregnancy centres. I think that President G.W. Bush, who actually strikes me as a mostly humble man, realized his limitations quite well.

Posted by: Jon at May 6, 2009 10:59 AM

Oh, forgot to comment on "there is no organization that I know of that supports motherhood" more than Planned Parenthood. Even if you thought Planned Parenthood supported motherhood, wouldn't, say, some adoption organization have to outrank them on the "supporting motherhood" front?

I've liked a lot of Judy Blume's books (though "Forever" kind of creeped me out), and what really disappoints me about her support of Planned Parenthood is that she's Jewish. You would think that, given their history, Jews would be universally horrified by an organization that dismembers living human beings and was started by a eugenicist.

Posted by: Marauder at May 6, 2009 11:04 AM

"I guess people who don't support Planned Parenthood must just be misogynists raising weak, conforming, insecure, and sexually ignorant children, then.

Posted by: Marauder at May 5, 2009 9:19 PM"
=======================================

No Maurauder, the classification is now "Domestic terrorist" aka..extreme-right-wing, white supremacist, single issue, religious conservative.

*LOL*..I should put that on a T-Shirt.

Posted by: RSD at May 6, 2009 11:07 AM

I'm happy to report that there is a pro-life answer to this. Give to Students for Life of America and your mom will receive a Mother's Day card- https://www.studentsforlife.org/sflanet/views/special/mothers_day.cfm?id=3707

Posted by: Kelsey at May 6, 2009 12:10 PM

I think the idea about making abortion safe and rare means that educating young women and men about their sexuality and sexual behavior, ie: birth control, will make abortion rare. Follow? I think the 'safe' part is obvious. Say what you will about the morality of abortion, but my aunt had one about 60 years ago, and was butchered, rendered sterile, and died of alcoholic cirohsis at the age of 40. Another aunt of mine was rendered sterile by a back alley abortion many years ago, and ended up committing suicide.

I think it a gross mischaracterization to say that anyone 'likes' or 'loves' abortion, or even is 'pro-abortion'. It is a tragic reality that has been with us since time eternal. In a perfect world, there would be no abortions, and no unwanted or abused children. But this is far from a perfect world, and by just eliminating legal, safe abortions, would not be much closer to perfect.

One hopes that, armed with education and the tools they need, along with having been raised by parents who love them, and trust them, young people will wait until they are physically and psychologically mature enough to take responsibility for their sexual behavior. Barring that, however, readily available birth control and STD control options and education MUST be provided. It is unrealistic to imagine that suddenly, all young people will stop being sexual. They won't. It is up to us as adults to help prepare them for the inevitable.

It is only when we fail them, that abortion is the remaining option.

Posted by: Lorem Ipsum at May 6, 2009 1:12 PM

Lorem Ipsum said, "As for mature women who have to resort to abortion, all I can say is, if you can't trust them with their own bodies, how can you trust them with a child?"

but they already have a child! It's just not born yet.

Posted by: Jon at May 6, 2009 1:53 PM

Jon,

"but they already have a child..."

What does that mean exactly? How does that refute my point?

Posted by: Lorem Ipsum at May 6, 2009 1:58 PM

Lorem Ipsum said, "It is unrealistic to imagine that suddenly, all young people will stop being sexual. They won't."

It is also unrealistic to imagine that suddenly all pedophiles will stop being attracted to children. Or that all rapists will stop being attracted to women. Or that all sinners will stop sinning.

But the force of law enforced does indeed deter.

Posted by: Jon at May 6, 2009 1:58 PM

Jon,

It's not illegal for teenagers to have sex with each other, consentually, and within an age limit.

Again, your point?

Posted by: Lorem Ipsum at May 6, 2009 1:59 PM

If you don't trust such women with a child, Lorem Ipsum, then why will you entrust the child to an abortionist? Do you know his standard of "care" for the child? Do you realize what he does with it?

Posted by: Jon at May 6, 2009 2:00 PM

I understand what an abortionist does. He/she terminates a pregnancy. I get that you have this idea that a fetus has more rights than a grown woman, but to most thinking people a fetus is a potential person, not a person.

Nonetheless tragic, please don't imagine that I think it's a great and wonderful thing to have an abortion, I don't. But there are many sad realities in this world.

And I also find it ironic that the same people who think it's the worst thing in the world to have an abortion also think that it's a bad thing to use / promote / educate about birth control. It's just illogical.

I have to go out now, so I won't be able to respond as quickly if you write back.

Posted by: Lorem Ipsum at May 6, 2009 2:06 PM

You were talking about safe abortions, Lorem Ipsum. There are no safe abortions. Every abortion results in the death of a child. I talk about something much better than safe abortions. I--and others here--talk about adoptions and next-to-no abortions. We talk about responsible people disciplining their sexual urges as they once knew how (before the 1960's) because of serious negative consequences if they don't. We don't have to live like cats and dogs, you know. And we can punish abortionists for killing children.

Posted by: Jon at May 6, 2009 2:07 PM

My mother-in-law bought my daughter a set of Judy Blume books about 3 years ago. As I began to flip through them I couldn't believe what I found. I threw them in the trash. Especially the one where the little girls snuck in and got their daddy's Playboy magazines so they could look at them. (Sorry, I don't remember which book it is.) I remember reading those books as a child, but you need to look through your children's books now as an adult. The children's books will blow your mind. I had to keep my daughter from reading 3 of the books that her class was reading together. Lots of bad words, sexual content and words that my daughter had never heard of in the 6th grade, and of course I found Judy Blume (the book with Playboy in it) in the school library. This was a private Christian school. We don't go there anymore.

Posted by: Shannon at May 6, 2009 2:15 PM

Lorem, if a fetus is not a person, what is sad about abortion?

Posted by: Bethany at May 6, 2009 2:15 PM

Lorem Ipsum said, "[T]o most thinking people a fetus is a potential person, not a person."

Please explain your thought process. How does the event of birth transform the human being into a person?

But suppose the human fetus is not a person. Killing it is still wrong because it is a human being and bears God's image. See Genesis 1 and Genesis 9 for further details. But take your own advice and remember to be a thinking person! You won't find a verse there that says, "Induced abortion is wrong"; we don't need such a verse. The general principle is more than adequate.

Posted by: Jon at May 6, 2009 2:16 PM

What happened to the women in your family is agonizing, Lorem Ipsum. It really is. I think that you ought to know that that is the reason that we oppose abortion- because look at what it did. We don't just oppose it being legal; we find it to be a monster that needs to be vanquished, that needs to be reckoned the common enemy.

Well, at least, I assume that's what pro-life means. It's subjective, though. Abortion is a symptom of a greater disease. I think that pro-life and pro-choice supporters alike ought to consider this.

Posted by: Vannah at May 6, 2009 2:18 PM

The hatefulness of this particular post made me want to go out and donate to PP.

Posted by: Kat at May 6, 2009 2:29 PM

Shannon,
The book is Are You There God? It's Me Margaret. Ugh.
My son has read Tales of a Fourth Grade Nothing. Think that will be enough of Judy Blume for us.

Posted by: Carla at May 6, 2009 2:34 PM

I agree with the hatefulness, Kat. I mean asking for donations in honor of mothers when PP kills the babies of mothers??!! Hate is right.

Posted by: Carla at May 6, 2009 2:36 PM

And rapists will still rape, and murderers will still commit murder, and pedophiles will still molest children, etc. So, let's just legalize everything that's immoral and see what happens.

Posted by: heather at May 6, 2009 3:53 PM

I'll bet if murder were legalized today {not including legalized murder in the womb} all hell would be guarenteed to break loose!

Posted by: heather at May 6, 2009 3:55 PM

I read a sick, sick, and beyond sick article in my local newspapaer today. Man sentenced to 25 years for having sex with an 18 month old. Will crimes like these become legal in the near?

Posted by: heather at May 6, 2009 3:57 PM

We've already shown so much contempt and hate for the unborn children in this world. Heck, why should anyone care what evil is done onto babies and children at all? We kill them on demand here!

Posted by: heather at May 6, 2009 4:00 PM

Lorem:

What species were you when your mother was pregnant with you? Were you a POTENTIAL person? Or were you already loved from the moment your mother saw the Positive Pregnancy test?

Posted by: LizFromNebraska at May 6, 2009 4:10 PM

Lorem says "As for mature women who have to resort to abortion, all I can say is, if you can't trust them with their own bodies, how can you trust them with a child?"

Seriously? This has got to be my "favorite" of all the pro-choice talking points. This has nothing to do with trusting women to do what they please with their own bodies. It has to do with what they're doing with another human being's body. Killing it.

Instead of hiding behind catchy slogans, try to be a "thinking person" and actually analyze what is going on in the situation.

Posted by: Lauren at May 6, 2009 4:25 PM

Currently, my thesis is mostly just lorem ipsum... sadly...

Posted by: Bobby Bambino Author Profile Page at May 6, 2009 4:29 PM

My Mom wouldn't let me read Judy Bloom books when I was a kid. Looks like I'll be keeping that tradition with my own children.

Posted by: Jacquelyn Smith at May 6, 2009 4:47 PM

OK, let's have a roll call. How many of the posters on this list have adopted children? How many children have you adopted? Are you aware that there are hundreds of thousands of children languishing in foster care and institutions right now, in this country, at this very minute? How about you all sign up and take 5 or 6 or even 10? There are millions of children around the world who need food, and shelter and clothing and education. This is a true tragedy, a tragedy of actual, living, extant children. Not a theoretical future person who may or may not come to full term.

So, how many of you have adopted children?

Posted by: Lorem Ipsum at May 6, 2009 5:11 PM

Sigh, this is so pathetic. The only time I ever went to Planned Parenthood was a part of a high school field trip so they could "teach" us about all of the great services they have available there.

I didn't have a well thought out pro-life position at the time. (Heck, my mom raised me by buying me books that made Blume's crap, which I had a ton of, look pretty mild in comparison. I made her give most of my teen years books away because there was no way in heck I was polluting my children's minds with them!) I did go back to school and, as editor of the school paper, wrote an editorial later in the year about abortion and how it destroyed innocent lives. A couple of my classmates who had severe congenital defects that put them in wheelchairs were upset at first because they thought I would be writing from a pro-abortion perspective... I wasn't, and I eventually incorporated some of their comments into the editorial as well to show people, ya know, these are people you know and see every single day that you are stating deserved to never draw a single breath. My mother was soooo upset with me. (This is the same woman who told me if I ever got pregnant in high school she would force me to have an abortion, and who greeted the news of each successive grandchild with horror and a reminder that we aren't mere animals and I have better things to do with my life than breed.)

I get a ton of rude and nasty comments about the size of my family. Interestingly enough, if anyone spends any amount of time around my brood they come quickly to the conclusion that they didn't know it was possible in this day and age to raise such respectful, polite, well-mannered children. I have tried the experiment of putting my children in a brick and mortar school for one year... it's been horrible and although my children are still better behaved than most, I find myself refereeing more disagreements between them than ever, and dealing with more whining (which I simply won't abide). So, back home they come at the end of this school year to an online public charter school.

I have been asked when I'm going to get spayed... people will out and out ask my husband when he's going to get me fixed (to which he replies, "Why? She's not broken!") I have had to, unfortunately, cut all ties with my parents. The final straw was finding out they were making my perfectly healthy and normal weight 15 year old weigh herself in front of them and then criticizing her for her weight (everything is appearances and being "good enough" for my mother). So... we spend all family time with my in-laws... whom I love dearly.

It has made for a peaceful and happy pregnancy that I don't have to constantly explain or justify and I look forward to holding my son, my seventh child, in my arms this September.

As for liberal universities... my children begin attending community college as young teens and graduate high school with associate's degrees and Alison at least already knows what she intends to do for a living... veterinarian. She will finish out her undergrad work at a local Christian college well known for it's high quality life sciences curriculum (one of the top pre-professional schools in our state, pre-veterinary included along with nursing, pre-med, pre-dental and a great theology department!)

I will encourage each child to seek their vocation and seek education to support it... it's easier to find appropriate schooling that isn't a major waste of time and money (and puts you in harms' way for indoctrination) once you know what it is you want to do with your life...

Posted by: Elisabeth at May 6, 2009 5:24 PM

Lorem, you seem to be the master of tangental arguments. Someone does not have to actively participate in an activity to find such an activity to be morally good. I think that priests and nuns are wonderful and are answering a valuable call. However, I have no calling to be a nun. Using your logic, the only way I could support nuns would be if I put on a habbit.

That said, every person I know within the pro-life community is involved in helping with needy children in some way. Be it sponsoring a chid in a far off land, or adoption. In fact, every pro-lifer I know would gladly adopt a child slated for abortion.

And, for the final time, pre-born children are not "theoretical future people." They are living human beings who just happen to reside within their mothers. They are just as alive and just as human as you are. Please stop devaluing their lives. There are many, many women on this board who have lost pre-born children to miscarriage and stillbirth. To use such language is hurtful to them, not to mention factually inaccurate.

Also, for your information, it is not a simple task to adopt. For example, we very much wanted to adopt a little boy from China, but did not meet their age requirements. Thankfully, that little boy found a wonderful home, but adoption is not as simple as snapping your fingers and waitng for a child to fall in your lap. Even adoption out of the foster system is riddled with hardships. My husband and I are planning on adopting a child out of foster care, but again, have only just met their requirements.

Adoption needs to become a more welcomed and supported choice. At this time very, very few women choose adoption for their children. Society has begun telling women that it is "wrong" to give a child up for adoption, but "ok" to have an abortion. I've heard such twisted logic again and again.

Posted by: Lauren at May 6, 2009 5:26 PM

Lorem Ipsum... my husband and I are taking classes to become certified foster/adopt parents. It's not so simple as saying, "Oh, I want to adopt!" Outside of private adoptions for newborns, it can take a year or more to become qualified as a fost/adopt parent. When you take the required classes here as possible while raising a large family and working full time, it can take even longer.

We are also working very hard to save enough money to buy a piece of land and build a larger "Duggar-style" house upon it. Part of adopting more children requires that we have a larger house than we currently live in... in the meantime, as a pediatric RN at an inner-city county hospital, I come into contact every day with children in the foster/adoption system and pray with their foster/adoptive parents and spend each and spend three nights each week giving not only top notch medical care but also love and compassion to sick and injured children of many different types of families.

Four of us from my floor are currently pursuing fost/adopt status. I would not be surprised to find that over the next two years adoption allows us to expand our family well beyond the dozen mark... something each and every child in this family expresses a hope for as soon as it is God's timing and will.

Posted by: Elisabeth at May 6, 2009 5:33 PM

Whoops... I'm getting hopeful again... that was supposed to be "next few years" not "next two years"... although since we want to adopt the "unadoptables"... sibling groups and children with special medical needs... once we finally are able to get started I think the family will grow quickly.

Posted by: Elisabeth at May 6, 2009 5:36 PM

Well Lorem,

I understand that there are several children in foster homes and awaiting to be adopted. And that makes me very sad. I myself haven't adopted simply because I am not in a period in my life where I can adopt children. Will I in the future... perhaps...

I understand the point you are trying to make but I don't think its fair to say that we should abort fetus' because there are many children that need to be adopted. Its not fair.

Posted by: JM (Jana) at May 6, 2009 5:44 PM

Hi Lorem Ipsum,

Suppose that not a single pro-lifer in the history of the world has ever nor will ever adopt a child. How does that refute a single argument that a pro-lifer poses for the humanity, personhood, and protection of the unborn? At the very, very best, all that proves is that pro-lifers don't care as much about born people as they claim to. However, it in no way refutes or even begins to address a single argument we put forth. If I call something evil, it in no way follows that I therefore must provide an outlet for someone as an alternative for not performing that evil act. Claiming that pro-lifers need to adopt in order to claim that abortion is wrong doesn't address any of our claims or concerns.

The weakness of this particular argument and its ad hominem essence can further be seen in the fact that if I had adopted 10 children, your argument would not work at all. It would be completely impotent. Thus, it is not an argument against abortion but an argument against the person, for depending on the person you are addressing, it may be totally effete. But as I mentioned above, even if the person in question has never or will never adopt, it does nothing to address the question of whether abortion is the direct and willful killing of an innocent. God love you.

Posted by: Bobby Bambino Author Profile Page at May 6, 2009 5:51 PM

Bobby! Hey HEY! Hows the teaching going. Almost done for the year?

Posted by: JM (Jana) at May 6, 2009 5:56 PM

Jana, so good to see you here!!! :)

Lorem Ipsum, I may have missed it if you answered me, but I'd like to know why you think abortion is sad if a fetus is not a person?

Posted by: Bethany at May 6, 2009 6:00 PM

Bethany,

Glad to be here. I have a little extra time this week. I finish my online course for grad school this week. I am taking a year off for now. So I should have more time to visit!

Posted by: Jana at May 6, 2009 6:04 PM

Elisabeth, bless you for walking the walk. I have good friends who have adopted numerous kids out of the foster system in NJ. Some have developmental problems, some have suffered various types of abuse and neglect, and all of them are loved beyond understanding.

Which brings me to a sad point. Two of the kids come from same mother. This mother is a drug addict, promiscuous, possibly a prostitute. She gets knocked up in between jail terms, and sometimes, in jail. She has had 10 babies, all of whom have been taken away. It is a hard thought, because I love the kids that I know, and they are beautiful and well taken care of now. However, to produce 10 kids that you are not, and never will be, able to take care of is an enormous burden to society! The kids who go into the foster to adopt system in NJ get great medical coverage until they are adults. They get unlimited care for the broken parts of them, the psychological damage done by their birth parents, and then having to deal with being abandoned by thier birth mothers. Not to mention the potential mental problems from being exposed to drugs and alcohol in the womb.

On the one hand, I love these kids. On the other though, I believe they should never have been born. Yes, I know, I am holding paradoxical feelings. Paradox, it's a part of life. I believe that the mother of the 10 kids should have been sterilized after unwanted baby number 2. Any of my friends that I told that to would be appalled to hear it so I am glad I am anonymous on this board.

Why is it hard? Because the kids, who are now real people, are here and are loved and are wonderful. BUT the potential unlimited number of babies that have not yet been born into poverty and misery, abuse, neglect, starvation and who knows what other kinds of living hell, are not here yet. They are imaginary, potential people. They could amount to anything from saint to serial killer and anything in between. But they are not real, they are imaginary. That's where the line is for me.

I have to go out again. I am sure i have given you all a lot of food for thought. I don't imagine you get a lot of folks on this board who dont march to your drum. Sometimes it's good to mix it up a bit. See how the opposition thinks. That's why I read this board.

And again Elisabeth, good for you.

Oh, by the way, the dozen or so families that I know personally who have adopted the drug babies and 'special' kids out of the foster system are gay families.

over and out.

Posted by: Lorem Ipsum at May 6, 2009 6:11 PM

Lorem, you are missing a fundamental fact about the situation. The children killed during abortion are living human beings. They are not "potential."

Right now I'm not pregnant. The egg sitting around waiting to be fertilized is a "potential" child. If fertilization doesn't happen, it loses it's potential and dies. It is not a human being, but has the potential to become one.

A zygote, post amphimixis, is a complete human being. It is not a "potential" human. It's humanity is as certain as your own. Killing that human via abortion takes a human life, just as it would to kill a 3 year old.

Science tells us, with certainty, that a unique human life begins at amphmixis. Potential lives are the haploid cells waiting to come together. Once diploid, those cells have crossed into becoming a human life. No modification needed.

Posted by: Lauren at May 6, 2009 6:18 PM

Lorem, the problem with your scenario is that those children were WANTED (she gave birth to all of them for a reason, correct?), as most children who are abused, neglected, etc are. This woman wasn't seeking abortions- she became pregnant and had all of her children willfully.

The only way to "solve" this problem in the way you suggest would be to force sterilization or abortions on these women who are potentially bad parents...is that something you would support?

Posted by: Bethany at May 6, 2009 6:19 PM

Lorem,
I have friends who adopted a little African American girl. Mother had 5 children already taken away and were being raised by her parents and 3 more adopted out. Not one year later my friends received a phone call....the mom was pregnant again and would they like the little sis too?? They did!! :)
I too wondered about the mother but knew that all of her children were loved and cared for.

What I hear you saying is that we should kill all children that could be poor, abused, neglected, unwanted, unloved. But why stop there? Let's kill all poor, abused, neglected, unwanted and unloved children that are living right now. I was raised in an abusive home. Are you saying it would have been better had I never been born?

Your comments sadden me. Maybe you need to have a heart to heart talk with your friends and ask them WHY they adopt?

Posted by: Carla at May 6, 2009 6:23 PM

Like Lauren said, you are wrong about this. It is a scientific fact that these are actual people, not potential.

Every day, I think about the baby that I lost through miscarriage- I saw my baby, shared pictures of her. I would like you to look at these pictures and tell me if you think that my baby was a person or not. If you say no, since you said you are a "thinking person", I'd like you to explain what thought process leads you to think that my baby was not a person.

Posted by: Bethany at May 6, 2009 6:26 PM

(My baby was a little over 6 weeks past fertilization when she died).

Posted by: Bethany at May 6, 2009 6:28 PM

Bethany,

Your precious one had potential because it was wanted... (please note the sarcasm)

Posted by: Jana at May 6, 2009 6:30 PM

I just never can get enough of looking at pictures of Blessing. :)

Posted by: Carla at May 6, 2009 6:48 PM

Jana, yoy might be surprised how many people have said that without sarcasm!

By the way, I just read above about your friend who's mother made the donation to an abortion clinic in her name. How awful! I cannot imagine.

Carla, Thank you so much. :)

Posted by: Bethany at May 6, 2009 6:53 PM

I made a donation to Prolife Action Ministries for Mother's Day. It will be in their newsletter in loving memory of my daughter Aubrey who died in an abortion. They sent me the sweetest thank you card!

Jana,
That is really disturbing!!

Posted by: Carla at May 6, 2009 6:57 PM

There's something deeply disturbing to me about someone saying that they wish that a human being had never been conceived. Because that child might grow up difficult? That is terrible. It's agonizing to grow up in poverty and pain.

But most people could not even begin to imagine the heart that beats inside of a poor man or a poor woman or even- gasp!- a poor child. The poor have to contend with the stereotype that life should never have happened? Because poverty?

Human beings living in broken homes, living in run-down condos on the edge of town where the gangs don't even wait until night to come out, living in the constant fear of a diatribe at the hands of a parent- could anyone imagine the heart that beats within that human being?

How could anyone say differently? What separates poverty-stricken children from affluent children? Nothing. The differences are imaginary. Though even the most impoverished child cannot see that until stepping back for a moment to realize that God is pretty awesome for giving the world a new shot at absolution with every single child conceived.

No. Humans matter equally- no human has the right to treat another human being as property simply because that human being is punished by an ideology like pro-choice. Even if society says, "That child lives in poverty; kill it." If the impoverished cannot even be respected as individuals, then I do not believe that I can rest in my activism for social justice. Not yet anyways. No one here can.

Posted by: Vannah at May 6, 2009 7:18 PM

And let's back up for a moment. First of all, most of the children in foster care still have biological connections to their parents. That's why some of there stays are temporary. Face it. Legalized abortion has sent a message to women. We have failed women. I'd really love to do a poll just to see how many women with a child in foster care has had an abortion. Abortion causes emotional problems, inability to bond to children, and it also increases a woman's risk for substance abuse.

Posted by: heather at May 6, 2009 7:40 PM

Lorem Ipsum, have you ever asked any of those 10 children if they ever wished they hadn't been born? What if you asked them if they're happy to be alive? What do you think they'd tell you?

Posted by: Bethany at May 6, 2009 7:42 PM

Good post, Vannah!

Posted by: Bethany at May 6, 2009 7:42 PM

Bethany, great point. And Lorem, do you like your life? I mean, don't you take the good with the bad? Mine hasn't always been grand, but I'd never give it back.

Posted by: heather at May 6, 2009 7:44 PM

Hey hey hey JM!

I am just over half way done. We're actually on quarters, so our whole schedule is weird compared to everyone elses. This term I'm actually teaching statistics. Ever taught that? I haven't even taken it! I'm staying one step ahead of the students though, LOL. Good to "see" you again, though. God love you.

Lauren,

I didn't know you were pregnant! Congrats to you, Oliver, and the rest of the fam. How far are you?

Posted by: Bobby Bambino Author Profile Page at May 6, 2009 7:46 PM

Lorem, think about this. Abortion has been legal for 37 years. Abortion promised to ELIMINATE poverty, child abuse, welfare, foster care children, single motherhood, etc. The exact opposite has happened. Child abuse is up by 1000% since legalized abortion on demand.

Posted by: heather at May 6, 2009 7:48 PM

Lauren,

Posted by: Bobby Bambino at May 6, 2009 7:46 PM------------------------------------------------------------- I second that!

Posted by: heather at May 6, 2009 7:50 PM

I don't think Lauren is pregnant. 6:18 post. :)

Posted by: Carla at May 6, 2009 7:53 PM

Thank you, Bethany. :). You're very kind.

Posted by: Vannah at May 6, 2009 7:54 PM

Vannah, most excellent post!

Posted by: heather at May 6, 2009 7:54 PM

Bobby,

Haven't taught since my horrible experience in "town I shall not name"

I had to take stats in college though. Got an A!

Posted by: Jana at May 6, 2009 7:55 PM

Dennis Rodman grew up in the projects. He came from a poor family and a single parent home. Doesn't look like he remained in poverty to me.

Posted by: heather at May 6, 2009 8:03 PM

Heather,

No but I don't consider him to be successful either. He may have a lot of money but also has a lot of problems.

Posted by: Jana at May 6, 2009 8:07 PM

Jana, that's true. That was actually for Lorem. That people in poverty might be better off dead. There is such a thing as one pulling themselves out of the hole.

Posted by: heather at May 6, 2009 8:10 PM

Perhaps I could have used a better example, but I've known a few women who were on welfare along with their children. Heck, they went to school and got off of it.

Posted by: heather at May 6, 2009 8:12 PM

I know what you mean... there are lots of people that have gotten of welfare and are very successful today.

Posted by: Jana at May 6, 2009 8:15 PM

No no, I'm not pregnant. At least as far as I know...

I just meant that in a non-pregnant state any eggs floating around could be considered "potential children." If I were to get pregnant THEN they would be human beings.

Sorry for the confusion!

Posted by: Lauren at May 6, 2009 8:21 PM

It's possible to survive living in slums, ghettos, or trailer parks- welfare or no welfare. It's like plants: they grow through concrete. Humans can grow through the impossible, too.

Oh, and thank you for the kind words, Heather. :).

Posted by: Vannah at May 6, 2009 8:26 PM

Vannah, you're welcome. I mean, so many people place the value of money before life. I just used Dennis Rodman as an example. A man who grew up dirt poor and with an unloving mother. On the other hand, Amy Grossberg grew up with 2 loving parents, a white picket fence, and she attended an excellent college, yet she became a criminal after commiting infanticide.

Posted by: heather at May 6, 2009 8:35 PM

We just can't say that people who grow up with a silver spoon in their mouth turn out any better.

Posted by: heather at May 6, 2009 8:37 PM

Heather,

I saw the point you were trying to make and I completely agree!

Posted by: Jana at May 6, 2009 8:38 PM

Jana, I got you. Congrats on your A !!

Posted by: heather at May 6, 2009 8:40 PM

Oh golly, I"m dumb! Well, you're still awesome, Lauren :)

Posted by: Bobby Bambino Author Profile Page at May 6, 2009 9:08 PM

Bobby, is your wife expecting again?? Did I hear correctly?

Posted by: heather at May 6, 2009 9:27 PM

Don't worry, Bobby. I confuse myself sometimes!

Isn't a little Bobina supposed to be born any second now?

Posted by: Lauren at May 6, 2009 10:11 PM

Today we have ultrasound.

If someone says, "I love God," and hates his brother, he is a liar; for the one who does not love his brother whom he has seen, cannot love God whom he has not seen. And this is the commandment we have from Him, that the one who loves God should love his brother also. 1 John 4:20-21

Every Christian is a work in progress.

Beloved, now we are children of God, and it has not appeared as yet what we shall be. We know that, when He appears, we shall be like Him, because we shall see Him just as He is. 1 John 3:2

Posted by: Jon at May 6, 2009 11:03 PM

Heather,

" Bobby, is your wife expecting again?? Did I hear correctly? "

Yes! In fact, she was due LAST Saturday! So any day now, new baby will be here!

Posted by: Bobby Bambino Author Profile Page at May 7, 2009 9:00 AM

Bobby, maybe she'll deliver Friday...my sister will be induced to deliver that day and is going to have a baby girl- her first baby. I'm excited- I'm an Aunt! :)

Posted by: Bethany at May 7, 2009 9:37 AM

Bobby, god bless you and your family! Wishing you a safe delivery!

Posted by: heather at May 7, 2009 9:38 AM

Alright! Congrats to you Bethany.

I don't know if you were ever induced and so can prepare your sis, but for our first baby my wife was induced and it was pretty intense. Things progress REALLY fast and it was really hard for her. They went to fast, in fact, there there wasn't even enough time to offer my wife an epidural or anything like that. She went from 2cm to 9cm in like 75 minutes.

So it'll be pretty intense for your sister, but she'll make it. And of course, have a perfect bundle of joy to show for it. God love you.

Posted by: Bobby Bambino Author Profile Page at May 7, 2009 9:45 AM

Bobby, she is lucky! I had pitosin labor with my first baby for 47 hours before I was dilated at all! I almost had to have a c-section.

Posted by: Bethany at May 7, 2009 9:51 AM

....So I'm trying to type in the sound that came out of my mouth after my jaw dropped when I read 47 hours...wow...We had pitosin too, but obviously progressed much faster... My goodness, 47 hours... that Caleb has no idea how much mom loves him...

Posted by: Bobby Bambino Author Profile Page at May 7, 2009 9:57 AM

Haha Bobby...at the time I had no frame of reference to know whether that was abnormal or not...so I just thought I was going through basically what everyone does, and tolerated it. I only realized later that is a really long time to be in labor, especially pitosin labor.
:) With Bonnie it was 24 hours.

Posted by: Bethany at May 7, 2009 10:08 AM

Lorem:

One hopes that, armed with education and the tools they need, along with having been raised by parents who love them, and trust them, young men will wait until they are physically and psychologically mature enough to take responsibility for their sexual behavior. Barring that, however, readily available prostitutes MUST be provided. It is unrealistic to imagine that suddenly, all young men will stop being sexual. They won't. It is up to us as adults to help prepare them for the inevitable and provide them with an outlet for their sexuality. Better to have sex with a prostitute who has been tested for STDs in a clean, sterile environment than to go out and rape a classmate.

Lorem, I don't know where you get the idea that prolifers are anything but eager to adopt. I was trying to adopt before I became pregnant with my firstborn, but the organization my husband and I were working with will not let us adopt while I am pregnant or have a child under a year old. I still would like to adopt one day. Babies and young toddlers are always adoptable, even most of those with sever problems, and the children in foster care are generally older children with many problems. It is a whole different proposition to adopt a 14-year-old with a host of psychological and emotional problems than a 3-month old with medical problems. Children in the foster care system are not there because their parents didn't have access to abortion, anyway. I am also interested in embryo adoption--but I suppose those are imaginary people too. I will very likely adopt some day.
I don't ask people who are against the death penalty how many murderers they take into their homes, and I don't expect those who are in favor of organic foods to pay my grocery bill so that I can buy them.

I am opposed to forms of birth control that kill babies because they kill babies. I am opposed to other forms of birth control only on a personal level, though I understand that others oppose them because they increase the number of abortions.

Posted by: YCW at May 7, 2009 12:36 PM

Elisabeth, that's such a wonderful, wonderful thing you're doing. What a gift you're giving by wanting to adopt sibling groups, older children, etc. So many people want to adopt, but change their mind if it's not an infant or they can't get a baby of their race. It's great that your husband is with you in your journey 100% as well- I feel like that type of endeavor is something that a husband and wife might disagree on. I'm so touched by your story!
JM, I'm sad that you had that experience at Planned Parenthood (feeling forced to give a donation). Don't let that memory blur out the fact that you got free medical care (the gynecological exam), which is hard to come by! The PP near my hometown treated my good friend, who came in for birth control with serious emotional baggage and questions, with the utmost respect and care, and everything was free of charge with no mention of donating at all. I'm disappointed your experience was so bad.

Posted by: AM at May 7, 2009 5:25 PM

AM said, "The PP near my hometown treated my good friend, who came in for birth control with serious emotional baggage and questions, with the utmost respect and care, and everything was free of charge with no mention of donating at all."

what kind of birth control?

* sterilization is mutilation, hardly "respect and care."

* contraceptives do not respect the body of the woman; they circumvent its purpose. More importantly, they do not respect the person of the woman; they assume she is a slave to her passions, a prostitute perhaps. What's more, some contraceptives can also cause abortions (or even work by causing abortion if they prevent implantation of the zygote).

* condoms, like contraceptives, assume we are undisciplined animals. And I've heard that they have a high failure rate.

* induced abortion violates the mother and kills the child. Planned Parenthood does abortions, and this fact alone makes AM's recommendation meaningless, even ironic.

They didn't mention donating, AM said. But did they mention statutory rape? In what state does she live? How old was her friend... the boyfriend...

Posted by: Jon at May 13, 2009 3:56 AM