Notre Dame update 5/17, 8:30p: The 2 mile pro-life protest at Notre Dame

Today thousands of pro-lifers converged on South Bend, IN, to protest Notre Dame's selection of radically pro-abortion Barack Obama as its commencement speaker and honoree.

The Center for Bio-Ethical Reform graciously let me ride in 1 of its Truth Trucks to capture the following video. It tracks the impressive 2 mile continuous protest route from I80 to the campus's main entrance. There was no other route for out-of-towners to take.

This was quite something.

Comments:

Is this the route President Obama's motorcade took?

Posted by: Question at May 17, 2009 8:39 PM

Question, I heard on one of the cable networks (CNN, I think but am not sure) that only pro-obama demonstrators were given access to the route. Jill may have info that contradicts the reporter's statement though.

Posted by: Fed Up at May 17, 2009 8:45 PM

Not sure Question.

I hope so!!!

That was awesome!

All those wonderful people!

If only we could dog BO's tracks relentlessly and demonstrate like this wherever he goes...

Posted by: Ed at May 17, 2009 8:47 PM

WOW!
I loved when people kept shouting, "Hi Jill!!" :)

Posted by: Carla at May 17, 2009 8:53 PM

Posted by: Stevan at May 17, 2009 8:54 PM

Thank you for filming that and sharing it with us!

Posted by: Fed Up at May 17, 2009 8:56 PM

All, Obama took a different route from the South Bend airport to the campus.

But I saw a small contingent (20 or so) of pro-life protesters holding signs as I was stopped in traffic for his motorcade to pass to go back to the airport.

I thought that was cool, too, Carla!

Posted by: Jill Stanek at May 17, 2009 9:00 PM

Too bad his motorcade didn't get stuck behind the CBR truck with his picture on the back with that big fake, stupid grin on his face:

I'M A DEVOUT CHRISTIAN

What a joke!

Posted by: Ed at May 17, 2009 9:04 PM

I wonder how many of our staunchly convicted politicians will look at the most recent Gallup poll and change their position on abortion?

We all know how important it is to remain true to your convictions, except of course when you're a politician and you need votes...

Posted by: Ed at May 17, 2009 9:11 PM

Clear enough!!!!

Wonderful new device for bloggers.

Plugs right in and makes a Youtube.

Woo hoo!!

Posted by: Leslie Hanks at May 17, 2009 9:21 PM

Amazing. Great job guys.

Posted by: Andrew at May 17, 2009 9:24 PM

Yep, that's more than 1% as Bystander claims.

Posted by: heather at May 17, 2009 9:27 PM

Posted by: Stevan at May 17, 2009 8:54 PM

"I've read reports from several journalists travelling with Obama that they did not see any protestors on the way to Notre Dame. Thank you for showing us the truth, Jill."

----------------------------------------------------

I am getting a mental picture of Seargent Schultz, "I see nothing, nothing at all" and the three monkees, "See no evil, hear no evil, speak no evil."

yor bro ken

Posted by: kbhvac at May 17, 2009 9:34 PM

Jill, I'm so glad you shared this. Like Carla, I loved it when people were shouting, "Hey Jill"...I also enjoyed your enthusiatic replies. I miss your accent! LOL : )

GREAT VIDEO!

Posted by: angele at May 17, 2009 9:34 PM

That was AWESOME!!!!!!! WAy to go!!! I wish I had been there...I would have loved to have been a part of that.

Posted by: Bethany at May 17, 2009 10:16 PM

Wow, it would be hard to ignore that crowd!!! I'm so glad there is video evidence of this beautiful stand for life.

Posted by: Bethany at May 17, 2009 10:18 PM

Awesome...what a crowd!

Posted by: Kel at May 17, 2009 10:45 PM

Wish I had been there.

You need to get your Chicago-self back to Florida, young lady!

Posted by: carder at May 17, 2009 11:11 PM

Angele, 9:34p: Accent, what accent?! And this coming from ya'll? :)

Posted by: Jill Stanek at May 18, 2009 6:18 AM

Kudos to all yesterday who had the guts to stand there for life!

Posted by: heather at May 18, 2009 6:25 AM

Yet the MSM reports that less than thousands were protesting:

"A few hundred activists lined the streets leading to the school's entrance holding signs with graphic pictures of aborted fetuses and denouncing Obama's support of abortion rights and the invitation to deliver the commencement address at the University of Notre Dame."

And the headline:

"Obama seeks 'common ground' on abortion"

Still trying to work out what common ground there is between "shredding babies" and "not shredding babies".

Posted by: Louise at May 18, 2009 6:56 AM

Louise, I heard "a handful" on the radio yesterday.

Posted by: heather at May 18, 2009 7:23 AM

Whatever happened to The Future is Yours, Reach for Your Dreams, We Are the Future, Shoot for the Stars type Commencement speeches? Sheesh. I am sure the graduates will never forget the Abortion Speech they heard at their graduation.

Posted by: Carla at May 18, 2009 8:21 AM

WOW!!!! That was really awesome and inspiring to see! Thank you for doing that; so those of us that wished we could have gone, can see the truth!

Posted by: muriel at May 18, 2009 11:03 AM

Very powerful and moving, Jill! I would have liked to have been there to hold a big sign up. My heart was there, though. Thanks for keeping us updated. May God bless and protect children growing in the womb!

Posted by: Robyn at May 18, 2009 12:39 PM

Jill,

Thank you for taking the time to document this witness for Life. I can't tell you how much I needed to see this video. I feel like I'm in mourning over this whole incident. But seeing these faithful people standing firmly for Life was more than inspiring, it was heroic! God bless all of them and you. Keep up the good fight.

Sincerely,

Nerina Bellinger
New York

Posted by: Nerina at May 19, 2009 11:53 AM

This video really captures what it was like to be there on Sunday. The only thing greater was listening to the speakers at the rally on the South Quad--everyone should look for those videos at the ND Response website, and it will be as if your were there! Thanks, Jill!

Posted by: Marian at May 19, 2009 6:24 PM

God Bless them all. Thank You, Jill!
As a Catholic I will never forget Notre Dame's
knife in the back to our religion.

Posted by: Mary J at May 21, 2009 8:19 PM