Dick Cavett on Imus today: Worse to murder animals than humans

Imus logo.gifDon Imus had as his telephone guest Dick Cavett this morning, and the topic immediately turned to Michael Vick. Cavett then made an amazing statement:

To my mind, it's worse to murder animals than to murder human beings.

Listen to the clip here. The comment comes at 2:00.

Here was the complete quote...

Imus: Boy, isn't that the truth.

What about preborn human beings, Dick? They're at least as innocent as dogs, aren't they?

Can't add much more to Lumina's observation (I cleaned up the punctuation a bit):

Michael Vick.jpg

Now, make no mistake about it, what Michael Vick did was terrible, and I in no way endorse it, but what amazed me about the conversation... was Cavett saying... "it's worse to murder animals than human beings," supposedly because animals do not sin! What?

Of course, this goes along with what is happening in our society regarding abortion. The country is up in arms about Vick but remains silent day after day as close to 4k unborn babies are killed in their mothers' wombs.

You have to wonder - how did we get to this place, and how can we keep denying what we are doing?

So, while we continue to praise late term abortionists in numerous articles in our media ("The abortion evangelist," Newsweek; "The last abortion doctor," Esquire, etc., etc), men who wake up each day with the purpose of killing human life, we cannot seem to find it in our hearts to forgive Vick or give him another chance... [after serving 2 years in prison] for killing dogs.

Go figure.

dick cavett.jpgOf course, Cavett is the worst kind of liberal, an intellectually snobby one, last year using the New York Times' blog page to lambaste the speech patterns of both Petraeus and Palin.

BTW, it goes without saying that what Michael Vick did was not the equivalent of murdering human beings. Therefore, my thought is since he has both expressed and demonstrated remorse for his crime, has paid a terrible financial price (loss of $100+ million in earnings), and has served the legally required prison time, he deserves a 2nd chance at football.

[HT: reader Theresa]

Comments:

I agree Mike Vick should no longer be punished, let the guy play football again. Geez..ridiculous.

"I'm not a religico, but human beings are full of sins and crimes and dirty deeds and conscious cruelty."

yea, starting with you Dick, look in the mirror...

Posted by: jasper Author Profile Page at August 21, 2009 10:48 AM

I'm 44 and Dick Cavett ceased being interesting or relavent when I was about 10 -- or was it earlier. I really don't remember.

I can't imagine that anyone younger than me even knows who he is.

Posted by: LB at August 21, 2009 10:53 AM

"Cavett: To my mind, it's worse to murder animals than to murder human beings. I'm not a religico, but human beings are full of sins and crimes and dirty deeds and conscious cruelty. No dog is."

Cavett is forgetting that humans can repent of their sins, giving them a "clean slate" by God's grace. An emotionally healthy person doesn't talk like this. According to Wikipedia, Cavett suffers from bouts of clinical depression. Perhaps he need some good counseling and our prayers.

Posted by: Janet at August 21, 2009 10:56 AM

More jewels from the unrepentant, unrenewed, demon-infested mind of man.

"And so I insist—and God backs me up on this—that there be no going along with the crowd, the empty-headed, mindless crowd. They’ve refused for so long to deal with God that they’ve lost touch not only with God but with reality itself. They can’t think straight anymore." The Messaage Eph 4:17-19

Posted by: Ed at August 21, 2009 11:03 AM

I don't know who he is. :(

But, I would like to know where everyone seems to have gotten this distorted notion of the natural world. Disney?

Animals do these things:

Kill others of their species to eliminate competition including immediate family.

Procreate with members of their immediate family.

Mate with others of their species that are too young to conceive. (A female cat can be mated even before she is sexually mature and she will become pregnant during her first fertile cycle)

Eat their young in times of extreme difficulty.

Kill other species indiscriminately for food, and in the case of young predator species, purely for practicing to hunt.

-among other things, of course.

Nevermind the humans who devote themselves entirely to the healing and care of such creatures, both animal and humans alike. We're all vile, disgusting creatures who should be eliminated simply because we are human.

Posted by: xalisae at August 21, 2009 11:06 AM

I suppose Terri Schiavo was a hateful sinful human being worthy of not being defended - by this self aggrandized human. Let's see how many dogs will come to his service when or if he's in such dire need and just as vulnerable.

Posted by: KC at August 21, 2009 11:19 AM

My my...

Okay Dick, put down the stone...

And if humanity is that bad, then do us all a favor and lead the way by dispatching yourself.

Because you obviously don't want to be around us anyway.

Posted by: Chris Arsenault Author Profile Page at August 21, 2009 11:25 AM

Janet's right, this dude needs to be pitied and prayed for. Just look at his picture.

Posted by: Ed at August 21, 2009 1:04 PM

Animals gooooooooood. Humans baaaaaaaaaaad.

Posted by: carla Author Profile Page at August 21, 2009 2:11 PM

Here's a Cavett anecdote from when he was a talk show host. He noticed that one of his male guests had neglected to zip his fly. Dick requested they both stand with their backs to the camera and reportedly said, "One of us forgot to zip his fly." This was heralded as the quintessential act of compassion and tact for a host - together they dissipated any embarassment by sharing it. Perhaps one of Cavett's contemporaries could publicly state, "One of us suffers from Liberal Psychosis."

Posted by: groovsmyth at August 21, 2009 2:45 PM

Cavett and Imus are both irrelevant old curmudgeons.

Posted by: Doyle Chadwick at August 21, 2009 2:52 PM

Excuse me but Michael Vick is a human being with an eternal soul. I just wish the Arizona Cardinals had signed him. I couldn't imagine what a Vick/Fitzgerald combo could have taken them. Imagine the top rushing QB in the league with the top receiver...... a no-brainer.

Vick screwed up, paid the price and now needs to be allowed to show the world his God-given talent.

On the other hand, animals do not have an eternal soul, and while God expects us to care for them, He does not ever expect us to put any animal above a human being.

The Liberal pro-abort mindset is sick to the core.

It's the baby killer abortionists that all need to be put in jail for life. Someday it will happen when the world wakes up to what abortion really is.

Oh, by the way, my son Daniel will be playing football at the Cardinals/Chargers game this Saturday night representing his Glory football team as QB (of course, I am the coach).

Go Daniel!!!!!!

Posted by: HisMan at August 21, 2009 3:03 PM

Good points, everyone. LOL Carla! :) Wow, Xalisae...you're too young to know who Dick Cavett is? Lucky You! :)

Posted by: Pamela at August 21, 2009 3:20 PM

HisMan,
Congratulations to Daniel!

Posted by: Janet at August 21, 2009 3:25 PM

I'm 28, but I grew up quite sheltered. :/

Congrats to your son, HisMan. Daniel is my youngest brother's name. I've met many Daniels, and so far, only one was a bad guy (and it wasn't my brother :P ). I'm sure your son is one of the best. :)

Posted by: xalisae at August 21, 2009 4:27 PM

It just really amazes me when people can sympathize with an animal but not a helpless little baby in the womb. It is beyond insanity.

Posted by: Bethany at August 21, 2009 4:51 PM

I used to watch Dick Cavett on his nightly show; I believe he was opposite Carson and whoever CBS had (not Letterman). His subjects usually were regarding plays, books and sometimes movies.

I liked him because he interviewed people who were interesting, not like Carson, people who were in the news recently. He had more than a talk show and I was sorry when his show was cancelled.

I don't watch talk shows any more because they just rehash the same old garbage you can find on 'E' or 'Entertainment Tonight'. So part of me is sad that Cavett is gone from the talk show circuit, but looking at his picture today and seeing his words I am not that sorry. The man has aged, and aged badly. He's one year older than me and you can see my picture on this site (at least I think you still can).

Posted by: Andy at August 21, 2009 4:52 PM

I also do not know who Dick Cavett is. Except what little I read on Wikipedia a minute ago. :-)

Posted by: Bethany at August 21, 2009 5:06 PM

He has a long history of suffering from manic-depressive illness - or at least deep depression for which he apparently underwent electric shock treatment.

Posted by: KC at August 21, 2009 5:28 PM

So, dogs never do anything wrong?

Just today, my mother-in-law told me of a local woman who recently lost a baby (only a few weeks old) in a tragic incident involving her dogs. She laid the baby down on a bed and her pit bull attacked it. She had a german shepherd which apparently then got involved. The dogs killed that baby dead even though the mother was trying to pull them off and doing everything she could to discourage them. I also remember an outrageous case I heard about a few years ago in which a mother left her two-year-old in the living room diaperless while she ran to a bedroom in the house to fetch a clean diaper for him. She came back as the child started screaming - to find the family pit bull was sodomizing the child. Apparently the child was treated at a hospital and recovered (the article didn't give any detail on the extent of his injuries), and a lot of animal people blamed the dog's owners and said that the dog should not be put down (the parents of the boy said their dog had never once shown any violent tendencies before).

Dogs (and other animals) do plenty of evil things.

And to suggest that it's better to kill humans than animals is completely rediculous. But it shows the mindset of the ultra-left radicals.

Posted by: army_wife at August 21, 2009 5:36 PM

Posted by: HisMan at August 21, 2009 3:03 PM

HisMan - God Bless Daniel!

Posted by: Chris Arsenault Author Profile Page at August 21, 2009 5:41 PM

Manic-depression (which has been renamed bipolar disorder) is a mental illness which can be taken care of with medication and therapy. As someone with bipolar disorder, I ABSOLUTELY resent any implication that this lifelong disease, with inherently the same implications as other lifelong and treatable conditions like diabetes, is looked at as a judging factor in regards to someone's personality or sense of morality. If you disagree with someone's opinions, it is because you disagree with them. Would you blame someone with cancer for having opinions different than yours? Or someone with high blood pressure?

Using mental health history, especially against someone brave enough to ignore the stereotypes and embrace the hardship that they have had to overcome in relation to that disease, is revolting and cowardly. Find a real reason to dislike their opinions, and let go of the contempt inherent about mental illness.

Posted by: Erin at August 21, 2009 10:44 PM

Erin,
My intent was not to generalize about mental illness, but to speak specifically to Mr. Cavett's situation. I apologize if I offended you and others with bi-polar disorder.

Posted by: Janet at August 21, 2009 10:54 PM

It's similistic to say it's worse to murder humans or animals. I think what Michael Vick did to the dogs was a lot worse than what that guy who killed someone in a bar fight because the dogs were helpless and did not choose to engage him. The man in the bar fight showed a lack of respect for his own life and chose to get involved in such violence. I think all living creatures should be treated humanely, but some people bring on violence themselves.

Posted by: cfd at August 21, 2009 11:13 PM

Erin,

Bi-polar disorder runs in my family. My mom's brother takes meds and has been hospitalized because of it.

Stating that someone has it-no matter their political alignment-does not get my panties in a wad. To me, it's like saying, "That guy voted for McCain. He has brown hair. That guy voted for Obama. He has an athletic build." A statement of fact is just that.

Posted by: xalisae at August 21, 2009 11:16 PM

I can understand what you're saying, Xalisae. However, I think it's pretty clear from the posts that it isn't a simple matter of 'stating the fact' in most of these comments- it's an attempt to correlate what they view as an irrational or wrong statement with the fact that he has a chronic mental illness. THAT'S what bugs me.

Last semester, I did a psychology thesis on social stigma surrounding mental illness. I administered somewhere around 100 surveys (no easy task, either, people HATE doing surveys!) to base my research on in addition to several journal articles and the like. Even though I knew that there was some of that negative light on mental illness in the eye of the general public, the extent of it that I ended up writing about shocked and really actually upset me a good deal. Since then, I've been adamant about trying to break down that wall on my own as much as I can. Most people don't actually understand mental illness as an actual ILLNESS, so I suppose it's become quite a sensitive issue for me. If I did overreact, I apologize. If that's the case, just look at it as a person with a cause ranting! ;-)

Posted by: Erin at August 21, 2009 11:29 PM

Strong Believer, Tony Dungy Agrees to be Official Mentor to Michael Vick
Aimee Herd (August 21, 2009)
"…there are a lot of young men, especially African-American young men, who need a chance. Who made a mistake. Who did something wrong. Who had a problem but are looking to bounce back." -Tony Dungy

High profile NFL player, Michael Vick, who was convicted and served time in prison for his role in an interstate dogfighting ring, was recently release and promptly signed on with the Philadelphia Eagles. (Photo: CBS)

While many have criticized Vick returning to the NFL spotlight, one man reached out to Vick, visiting the player when he was still in prison. That man was Tony Dungy, former head coach for the Indianapolis Colts; a strong Believer, well-known for his outstanding character.

Dungy has reportedly agreed to be Vick's long-term mentor; one of the stipulations of the Eagles' rehab plan.

Recently Vick appeared with Dungy on a 60 Minutes interview. Dungy was asked why he would put his "reputation on the line in working with Michael Vick."

Dungy replied, "I've visited a lot of prisons. It's something that I do. And I know that there are a lot of young men, especially African-American young men, who need a chance. Who made a mistake. Who did something wrong. Who had a problem but are looking to bounce back. That's what I've always been concerned about. Not just for Michael Vick. But for hundreds of guys that I've talked to."

Go Tony Dungy....you are a Real Man and God Bless Michael Vick too!!!!!!

Posted by: HisMan at August 22, 2009 12:55 AM

@army_wife:

I read the dog-sodomizes-child story awhile back and to me it sounds like they were trying to cover up sexual abuse and blamed it on the dog.

Due to the anatomy and the size of the dog and child, it seems pretty unlikely for such an act to happen unless someone was restraining the child and holding it into position.

If it did truly happen, it is a very unfortunate accident, but the dog shouldn't have been put down and isn't anymore dangerous than a dog that humps people's legs. I'm sure a dog that humps legs would also hump someone if they just happened to be bent over naked in front of them at the time the dog got the urge. They get the urge to hump and hump whatever is available at that moment. There is no malicious intent. Dogs are not humans and cannot conciously choose to be child molesters.

So, yes, it was the owner's fault. Anyone who leaves a small child alone with a any type of dog is irresponsible. They are animals and not moral agents with the cability of being evil or committing evil acts, as they act on instinct and without evil intent. Only moral agents can be held responsible for their actions. That is why animals do not have to repent and why my ferret isn't in jail despite stealing my friend's car keys.

As for Dick Cavett, I find his kind of thinking scary and disheartening, and it is becoming more common.

On my local craigslist I read multiple postings of people agreeing that instead of giving this man another chance, he should have been executed/hanged/tortured/ect. :(

Posted by: M at August 22, 2009 1:44 AM

I hope that is not the case (the parents covering up child abuse). I dearly hope not. A pit bull is large enough to pin a small child on his own without someone "holding" him down. There could have been a piece of furniture in the way preventing the child from escaping (such as if the child were bent over trying to reach a toy that had gone under the furniture when the dog attacked) - we don't know what other circumstances there were. And I never was able to find any followup on that story (I looked, hoping to see some final decision in the investigation).

But any dog who attacks a person in any way needs to be put down. In fact, I think parents who own pit bulls are irresponsible to begin with because that particular breed is known for inexplicable violent behavior (sudden attacks when the dog was not previously known to be aggressive is what I mean). I actually think that pit bulls should be allowed to go extinct completely because of this, but I'm digressing into a different subject entirely.

Animals may not "choose" to be immoral, but some do have violent tendencies. And since animals are amoral (meaning, they have no conscience to tell them to do the right thing, or to become corrupted and allow them to justify doing "bad" things) then no, they wouldn't "repent" or go to jail or whatever. I think animals should be put down if they display dangerous agressive tendencies in order to protect people and other pets (don't worry, I don't think animals should be put down for stealing keys - I think the story about your ferret is quite funny :-) ). Sometimes they become violent due to an abusive owner and sometimes they are just that way for some unknown reason. I saw a news item recently about a pack of feral dogs attacking and killing an elderly couple (the reason for the attack hadn't been determined).

I'm no animal-hater and I don't condone animal abuse. All I'm saying is that Cavett's comments weren't right.

Craigslist people are sometimes loopy. My mother was once looking around at ads for pets and there was one lady being lambasted for offering her dog to a good home (her child had developed allergies to the dog, and they didn't have a choice but to find a new home for it). Many people there said that the lady "re-homing" her dog should "re-home" her children as well. I think putting animals on the same plane as human beings is absolutely rediculous.

And I do think that Michael Vick should be given another chance. Although I'm sorry about what he did with the dogs, I'm sure he's sorry now as well. At any rate, he's been thoroughly punished and now has a stigma he'll carry for the rest of his life. Let the man get on with his life as best as he can. Perhaps he'll go on to do something great, make a complete change of heart. The good thing about people is that they can have a change of heart and admit they were wrong, and go on to do good instead of bad.

Posted by: army_wife at August 22, 2009 11:52 AM

Erin,

I understand your frustration over the implication made about bipolar disorder, but I have to disagree as far as it being on the same level as diabetes.

My family has a long history of bipolar disorder, and each of us has a different story about a family member doing something a bit insane during an especially intense high or low.

Stories about individuals going into a 'productive' frenzy (usually doing something entirely unnecessary) and then having a horrible horrible depressive spell when they didn't get the reaction they expected. Stories about weeping and pleading with Dad as you realize your Sunday drive is actually a trip to have your mother committed (this story is rather outdated, and would be preventable with modern medication, fortunately). I personally remember finding my mother crying on the floor in our kitchen at the end of especially pleasant days (trips to the fair, that sort of thing).

The other side of my family has hereditary diabetes, and I can assure you, they have none of these sorts of stories.

So looking at a person's mental health history is a fair way of explaining some degree of their behavior. Obviously, it would be unfair to claim that because I have been diagnosed bipolar, I'm going to start killing humans in order to save the world's canine population. However, I feel that the statement in question was fair, saying that depression is a disorder with which Mr. Cavett has struggled and using that knowledge to gain some degree of insight into his mind. It should be noted that the commenter in question was saying that Mr. Cavett would perhaps benefit from counseling and our prayers. This is a far cry from saying "He's been depressed. Well, that explains everything!"

Dick Cavett is a twisted and confused individual. I'm sure the depression doesn't exactly help his mental health, either, though.

Posted by: MaryRose at August 22, 2009 12:59 PM

Dick Cavett Declares on Imus 'It's Worse to Murder Animals' Than Humans

Posted by: StewartIII at August 22, 2009 10:48 PM

None of us is good; none of us is free from sin, not even a baby. For, we're all born dead in sin. Even the most innocent (meaning that the baby has not actively committed any sin) baby is a filthy sinner who cannot stand in God's presence—all because of Original Sin which ALL men are born with, regardless of their belief in the concept. Blame those twits Adam and Eve. Baptism, a washing of regeneration, makes the sinner of any age (including the newborn baby) alive in Christ. After Baptism, though we still sin, Christ in us enables us so we can and do repent.

So, Cavett is partly right about our filthiness only, and Stanek doesn't know/understand Christian theology.

The real problem is that Cavett esteems an animal's life above a human's. While we are to treat animals with care and kindness (we do have dominion over them), the taking of a human life only is mentioned in the Decalogue: "Thou shalt not kill"—meaning humans.

Does that mean we should kill animals as though their lives have no value? Not at all. Dominion over God's creation gives us responsibility which we must exercise with restraint. We should not ill-treat any animal or kill one just because we can; we may do so for food, clothing, and other necessities.

That difference between human (created in the Divine image) and animal (created by God but subject to man) is one which Darwinists, and folks like Cavett and PETA, just don't get.

Posted by: apodoca at August 23, 2009 1:15 AM

Posted by: apodoca at August 23, 2009 1:15 AM
-----

Matthew 18:15?

Posted by: Chris Arsenault at August 23, 2009 8:50 PM

Did no one else hear about the elderly couple in GA recently mauled by a wild pack of dogs?

See story here: http://www.wsbtv.com/news/20458092/detail.html

Your post was referenced over on NewsBusters...Couldn't believe it when I saw it. This type of statement will follow you the rest of your life...

Posted by: RR at August 24, 2009 10:45 AM