"Fishy" expedition over?

I previously reported here and here about the White House's "fishy" expedition, a request that supporters turn in emails/websites giving contrary information on Obamacare. And as of today, the request is STILL UP.

But according to Politico today, spotlighted by Drudge (currently top link), the email address no longer works:

Following a furor over how the data would be used, the White House has shut down an electronic tip box - flag@whithouse.gov - that was set up to receive information on "fishy" claims about President Barack Obama's health plan.

E-mails to that address now bounce back with the message: "The e-mail address you just sent a message to is no longer in service. We are now accepting your feedback about health insurance reform via http://www.whitehouse.gov/realitycheck."

I tried sending an email and it did indeed bounce back. The form the WH is now referring people to specifies (click to enlarge):

fishy slide 1.JPG

and...

fishy slide 2.JPG

But not so fast. First, this is how the Obama corrects things, on the sly. He just can't admit when he's wrong. 2nd, who in the world thought this was a good idea to begin with? Here was an example of almost unfathomable ineptitude and inexperience. The wrongness was so basically clear. Hard to believe the White House did this.

As for the unsolicited emails from the WH's David Axelrod that hundreds if not thousands received last week, the WH yesterday offered this explanation, according to Fox News:

The White House for the first time Sunday seemed to acknowledge that people across the country received unsolicited e-mails from the administration last week about health care reform, suggesting the problem is with third-party groups that placed the recipients' names on the distribution list.

[HT: Hot Air]

Comments:

"Here was an example of almost unfathomable ineptitude and inexperience. The wrongness was so basically clear. Hard to believe the White House did this."

Holy Cow, it's not like he invaded the wrong country or anything. Or fired US Attorneys for political reasons. No administration is perfect.

Posted by: Hal at August 17, 2009 2:25 PM

Or appointed a hack to run FEMA. Or nominated Harriet Miers to the Supreme Court. You guys find funny things to get bent out of shape about.

Posted by: Hal at August 17, 2009 2:26 PM

"You guys find funny things to get bent out of shape about."
=======================================

Hey Hal...what if your name/ email address gets sent to the White House as a 'source' of fishy info about Obamacare?

Let's see how 'funny' you think that is....

Posted by: RSD at August 17, 2009 2:44 PM

Yeah Hal,

Apparently a few posters on this blog did end up on a WH snitch list. Better hope you weren't one of them, not that the Chicago thugs in the WH would do anything with your electronic info. Noooooooooooooo.

To think Stalin and Hitler had to rely on good old fashioned spies, liars, and snitches.

Posted by: Mary at August 17, 2009 2:51 PM

A "third party group" who placed people's email addresses on the distro list? Puh-leeze.

I sent an email to the President expressing my opinion about something and ever since then, I've gotten all kinds of spam from the White House. I finally got fed up with all the liberal rhetoric and unsubscribed. What would a "third-party group" be doing with my email address after I sent an email directly to the President? I realize that he has his staff probably screening his emails (and I don't blame any president for that as I am sure presidents tend to get a lot of kooky email from nutty folks) but a "third-party group"? Doubtful.

Posted by: army_wife at August 17, 2009 2:51 PM

Let's see how 'funny' you think that is....
Posted by: RSD at August 17, 2009 2:44 PM

My god you're paranoid. Even in the darkest days of the Bush years I never actually worried he was tapping *my* phone.

Posted by: Hal at August 17, 2009 3:22 PM

Hal,

Did you ever hear of Bush or anyone in his administration setting up a WH e-mail address for citizens to report "fishy" e-mails concerning the Iraq War?

Posted by: Mary at August 17, 2009 3:33 PM

Holy Cow, it's not like he invaded the wrong country or anything...

Oh...I guess all the terrorists my husband went to fight for 2 years in Iraq were just figments of our imagination.

Posted by: xalisae at August 17, 2009 3:34 PM

Don't know about that, but the presence of our troops sure acted like a magnet for terrorist. A magnet and an incubator.

Posted by: Hal at August 17, 2009 4:12 PM

An incubator? Really, Hal? From what my husband's told me of the Iraqis, they were glad we were there. One of the locals who owned a hotel gave him his card and said that once the government was better established and things got back to normal, him and our whole family were welcome to be guests at his establishment, any time, free of charge.

But I'm sure you're far more knowledgeable on the subject than someone's who's actually been over there. Sure.

Posted by: xalisae at August 17, 2009 4:19 PM

Hal,

You will eat your words regarding Iraq when it is the wealthiest and most economically sound nation in the world!

Posted by: Marie at August 17, 2009 4:20 PM

And Hal...from what I've seen happening in Iran...with Iraq as their inspiration...Nothing you can say to dog our efforts in Iraq will ever convince me it was a mistake. Speaking of the Iranian freedom fighters...What's Obama done for them lately?

Posted by: xalisae at August 17, 2009 4:22 PM

"No administration is perfect."

I agree. But that's no reason to avoid trying to fix the current administration.

Also, consider that the reason we're getting "bent out of shape" is that the government sounded like they were asking people to turn us in. In other words, we would personally be the targets. I bet you'd have been a lot more nervous about being wiretapped if you were Muslim and/or from the Middle East.

Posted by: Chris at August 17, 2009 4:54 PM

xalisae,
I can second your statements about Iraqis mostly being happy we came. My husband tells similar stories (although we haven't been invited to stay at a hotel there free, LOL). For the most part, the Iraqi people ARE happy we overthrew Saddam.

Posted by: army_wife at August 17, 2009 6:04 PM

Two Images:

First image: Bill Clinton and his subhorts sitting in the WH eating pizza and guffawing as they go over FBI files of some of his political opponents.

Second Image:

Obama and his subhorts sitting in the WH discussing how they can "encourage" members of
the public to "rat out" his health care opponents.

Posted by: George at August 17, 2009 6:46 PM

Hal,

I may have overestimated your intelligence and under estimated your gullibility.

What I attributed to confusion, may be willful deception on your part.

You keep excusing and equivocating for these liberal humanist hacks so much that you are starting to sound like one of their paid political spokesweasels.

Sort of like liberal democrat Shiela Jackson-Lee suggesting that the video of her taking a phone call while a citizen is trying to ask her a question about health care is 'doctored'. (Are we supposed to believe lyin' Sheila or our lyin' eyes?)

Or ms Pelosi accusing people who are opposed to nationalized health care of beng Obama hatin' Nazis and unamerican mobsters, but praising other citizens who interrupt her meetings to protest the war and saying how much she appreciates these disrupters whom she characterizes as 'partriotic'.

Or the liberal democrat congressman who required a photo ID before he would allow people to participate in his town hall meeting. But this same liberal democrat congressman voted against a bill that would have required a photo ID to vote.

yor bro ken

Posted by: kbhvac at August 17, 2009 11:12 PM

Posted by: Hal at August 17, 2009 3:22 PM

"My god you're paranoid.

Even in the darkest days of the Bush years I never actually worried he was tapping *my* phone."

-------------------------------------------------

Hal,

Please elaborate on the 'dark days' of the Bush years.

Was that when W suspended the constitution and declared martial law after 911?

Was it when W ordered the arrest an interment of all arabs and muslims in the United States?

Was it when W ordered the immediate deporation of all people who are in this country illegally?

Was it when W ordered the execution of all detainees at Guantanamo Bay?

Was it when W issued all those presidential vetoes the 8 years he was in office?

Was it all of W's presidential pardons?

yor bro ken

yor bro ken

Posted by: kbhvac at August 17, 2009 11:22 PM

"My god you're paranoid." - Hal
-----------------------------------------------
I am, Hal...especially with YOUR president in the WH...and I'm not the only one. Reminds me of the Open Letter by Lou Pritchett:

"AN OPEN LETTER TO PRESIDENT OBAMA

Dear President Obama, You are the thirteenth President under whom I have lived and unlike any of the others, you truly scare me..

You scare me because after months of exposure, I know nothing about you.

You scare me because I do not know how you paid for your expensive Ivy League education and your upscale lifestyle and housing with no visible signs of support.

You scare me because you have never run a company or met a payroll.

You scare me because you have never had military experience, thus don't understand it at its core.

You scare me because you lack humility and 'class', always blaming others.

You scare me because for over half your life you have aligned yourself with radical extremists who hate America and you refuse to publicly denounce these radicals who wish to see America fail.

You scare me because you are a cheerleader for the 'blame America ' crowd and deliver this message abroad.

You scare me because you want to change America to a European style country where the government sector dominates instead of the private sector.

You scare me because you want to replace our health care system with a government controlled one.

You scare me because you prefer 'wind mills' to responsibly capitalizing on our own vast oil, coal and shale reserves.

You scare me because you want to kill the American capitalist goose that lays the golden egg which provides the highest standard of living in the world.

You scare me because you have begun to use 'extortion' tactics against certain banks and corporations.

You scare me because your own political party shrinks from challenging you on your wild and irresponsible spending proposals.

You scare me because you will not openly listen to or even consider opposing points of view from intelligent people.

You scare me because you falsely believe that you are both omnipotent and omniscient.

You scare me because the media gives you a free pass on everything you do.

You scare me because you demonize and want to silence the Limbaughs, Hannitys, O'Relllys and Becks who offer opposing, conservative points of view.

You scare me because you prefer controlling over governing.

Finally, you scare me because if you serve a second term I will probably not feel safe in writing a similar letter in 8 years."

Posted by: RSD at August 18, 2009 11:48 AM

I don't know who Lou Pritchet is, but what a wuss. Living in fear is no way to live. Personally, I'd rather die on my feet than live on my knees.

I've said it before and I'll say it again.

Come mothers and fathers
Throughout the land
And don't criticize
What you can't understand
Your sons and your daughters
Are beyond your command
Your old road is
Rapidly agin'.
Please get out of the new one
If you can't lend your hand
For the times they are a-changin'.

The line it is drawn
The curse it is cast
The slow one now
Will later be fast
As the present now
Will later be past
The order is
Rapidly fadin'.
And the first one now
Will later be last
For the times they are a-changin'.

Posted by: Hal at August 18, 2009 11:56 AM

Lou Pritchett is one of corporate America's true living legends- an acclaimed author, dynamic teacher and one of the world's highest rated speakers.

He is acknowledged in numerous books and periodicals and by savvy and successful corporate executives everywhere as the foremost leader in change management.

It was Lou Pritchett who changed the way America does business by creating an audacious concept that came to be known as "partnering."
------------------------

Yeah, Hal..he's a wuss who doeesn't know what he's talking about.

Posted by: RSD at August 18, 2009 12:01 PM

sounds like an aging white capitalist (not that there's anything wrong with that) who's uncomfortable with the shift in power. He's had it too good for too long and doesn't appreciate the need for change. Here's a hint:

"You scare me because you did not spend the formative years of youth growing up in America and culturally you are not an American."

What a rude thing to say. Obama IS the American dream. Pritchett can go to Hell. "no visable means of support?" Who the Hell does he think he is. Obama worked his butt off to go to school and probably benefited from scholarships and aid. What's he implying, Obama was selling drugs and pimping?

Posted by: Hal at August 18, 2009 12:07 PM

"Obama IS the American dream"...I prefer nightmare.

"Obama worked his butt off to go to school and probably benefited from scholarships and aid. "
-can you prove that?

And, oh, Hal...NOT all change is for the better.

Posted by: RSD at August 18, 2009 12:09 PM

Obama's "scholarship" benefactor to Harvard U. is Dr. Khalid Abdullah Tariq al-Mansour a/k/a Donald Warden.

Google al-Mansour and see where your "American Dream" came from...

Posted by: RSD at August 18, 2009 12:22 PM

Ok, RSD, you win. I can't prove the President is not a worthless SOB. Yet, I can't help admiring his intelligence, compassion, dedication and rugged good looks.

Posted by: Hal at August 18, 2009 12:23 PM

What was the line from Batman Begins, Hal?

"It's not who you are underneath, but it's what you do that DEFINES you".

Posted by: RSD at August 18, 2009 12:47 PM

Hal,

Intelligence...well, perhaps he has that, but as his policies would sink our ship, I'm forced to believe that he's not using it. Not in his capacity as President, anyway. I don't recall any other President misplacing trillions of dollars of Treasury funds.

And you say he has compassion. Compassion for who?

Clearly, not the elderly, or the unborn... the most vulnerable of our society.

Not for flies, as PETA let us know. ;)

Not for those making "fishy" comments about Obamacare.

Oh, I've got it! Compassion for those who agree with and support him, and those who have the political clout to stay away from Obamacare.

Dedication... to what? All I've seen him dedicated to are abortion and the destruction of the credibility of the Catholic Church. He's not dedicated enough to any particular issue to be forthright about it. He's not dedicated enough to put out consistent and accurate information. To what is he dedicated? Examples, please.

As for rugged good looks, I would think if you admired them all that much, you would want him our of his office ASAP, considering how rapidly Presidents age in 4 years.

Posted by: MaryRose at August 18, 2009 12:54 PM

I don't claim to have insight into Pritchett's mind. Perhaps he is referring to the possibility of PBHO having received foreign student aid. It's not like Mr Transparency has released his college records.

Posted by: Fed Up at August 18, 2009 12:56 PM

Oh look...more violence in Iraq now that we've pulled out-JUST AS WE CONSERVATIVES SAID WOULD HAPPEN.

Oh look...Iranians see a growing democracy next door and want to ditch their heavy-handed theocracy and its insane and brutal mouthpiece of a dictator-JUST AS WE CONSERVATIVES SAID WOULD HAPPEN.

Please, Hal, give me your take on these occurrences. Please.

Posted by: xalisae at August 19, 2009 7:35 AM

For those who think the President has compassion and will listen to others ideas. I would like to confirm something that I think Jill discovered during the Illinois legislative BAIPA hearings about the arrogance and dismissive attitude of Obama toward those who do not agree with him. I met an African American minister who took another A.A. minister from Chicago to meet with then Senator Obama about 3 years ago. Senator Obama was in his office that day and the ministers asked to meet with him, he was fine with that, until he found out that they wanted to talk to him about abortion legislation and that they were pro-life. He told them to get out of his office. They asked if he would at least listen to them and he told them if they did not get out of his office immediately he would call security and have them thrown out. They left peacefully and were both stunned and wounded that he showed such arrogance, anger and a totally dismissive attitude toward them. Jill so many have been deceived by the campaign rhetoric of President Obama and his rock star persona can you address the treatment you were given during the legislative hearings when you spoke to him? I know this will not affect the staunch pro-aborts but those who are searching for the truth and especially those who are new to this blog may find it very eye-opening. Jill, I am praying for you. Thank you for being so courageous in this fight.

Posted by: Prolifer L at August 19, 2009 4:17 PM