Jivin J's Life Links 8-4-09

web grab.jpgby JivinJ

• John McCormack has a piece in the Weekly Standard on Congressman Tim Ryan and his slide away from being pro-life. It includes this telling part of an interview between the Weekly Standard and Ryan:

TWS: When do you believe life begins?

REP. RYAN: That answer's above my pay grade. That's for God to determine.

TWS: So you're not saying first trimester, second trimester, conception?

REP. RYAN: I don't know. I mean, that's God. God knows when it begins, and when it ends, and all that other stuff.

If Ryan doesn't know when life begins, then on what does he base his supposed "pro-life" position?...
  • IL's parental notification laws goes into effect today after 14 years of being in court limbo. Abortionists still have a 90-day grace period where they won't be prosecuted for breaking the law.

According to the Naperville Sun, Planned Parenthoods throughout IL will begin following the law today. Here's a quote that stands out for its cognitive dissonance:

Rev. Emmy Lou Belcher of DuPage Unitarian Universalist Church, said she always thinks it's better if a girl's parents are involved in her personal life. But in cases where incest and abuse is involved, she said, the law could make it "most difficult for the weakest and frail of our society, and that's never a goal of religion."

• The Christian Broadcasting Network has a portion of an interview with Joshua DuBois, head of President Obama's "Faith Based and Neighborhood Partnerships," regarding abortion reduction/common ground:

We've been meeting with groups on both sides of this spectrum and in the middle as well and learning their best ideas about that common ground space in the middle. Now we're bringing all that information back. We're going to give it to the President. He's going to think through and talk about where he wants to go forward in that area so we've concluded the set of meetings and now we're just kind of compiling it and getting ready for the President and then he will eventually talk about where he thinks we should be going.

• Comments:

It's always amazing to me that people who support abortion can't tell you when life begins, but they can tell you for sure that it does not begin at conception like us pro-lifers say.

Posted by: Andrew at August 4, 2009 2:37 PM

Well, Andrew, these pro-aborts don't know when life begins but they can definitely say when it will end and how.

And how come, they always refer to God for these kinds of public questions but will not turn to HIM for guidance???

Posted by: RSD at August 4, 2009 3:16 PM

the new law regarding parental notification has room for exceptions, including if minor is a victim of abuse: "the minor states in writing that she is a victim of sexual abuse, neglect or physical abuse by an adult family member." Ooh, that is scary information to sit upon. PP will have signed statements from minors declaring that they are victims of abuse. PP will have to report suspected abuse, or be in violation of mandatory reporting laws. Ouch. That one will be touchy. Will these forms be forwarded to trhe state automatically? could an attorney subpoena one on behalf of a minor, if the minor requested? Is the minor sent home with her own copy of this legal medical care document she has signed? At least if she requests her own copy?

Posted by: Row1 at August 4, 2009 4:06 PM

Ryan is apparently not as smart as a fifth grader.

Posted by: Janet at August 4, 2009 4:07 PM

I wonder if Rep Ryan has children?

And surely, if he does, he saw a sonogram or ultrasound of his baby?

Posted by: LizFromNebraska at August 4, 2009 4:28 PM

Ok, yes, it's God's decision as to when life begins, so why don't we ask Him?
    Psalm 139:13
    For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb.
    Does that answer the question for you?

Posted by: Peg at August 4, 2009 4:32 PM

"I wonder if Rep Ryan has children?"

"And surely, if he does, he saw a sonogram or ultrasound of his baby?"

According to Wikipedia, Ryan is single. That's still no excuse. Fifth graders aren't married, but they know better. :)

Posted by: Janet at August 4, 2009 4:37 PM

Jeremiah 1:4-5
    4 The word of the LORD came to me, saying,
    5 Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, before you were born I set you apart;
    (NIV Bible)

It's kinda plain as day, to my way of thinking anyhow.

Posted by: Andy at August 4, 2009 4:39 PM

"Professor, how do you reconcile the blatant contradictions between general relativity and quantum mechanics.

That answer's above my pay grade. That's for God to determine."

Right. That "scientist" would be laughed out of the building. This whole punting to God business is done to make it seem like 1) we don't know the answer and 2) we will never know the answer. In all our scientific arrogance where we humans know EVERYTHING there is to know about our origins, physics, chemistry, biology, etc. all of a sudden, we're EXTREMELY humble when it comes to our "lack of scientific knowledge" as to when life begins.

Oh and Andy and Peg, I know exactly how he would respond to you. "That's a Christian text (even though it's Jewish). We can't choose one religion over another." Perfect. He's punted to God, yet made it so that God can not answer. Now we can stay in a state of agnosticism forever since only God knows the answer, but we can never know which religion it is that God TRULY speaks though.

"If Ryan doesn't know when life begins, then on what does he base his supposed "pro-life" position?"

Oh, I also know his answer to this one too. "FAITH." No, not a biblical understanding of faith, mind you, but faith in the sense of how a religious ignoramus like Richard Dawkins would define it- "faith is believing in something without any evidence." That, I am sure, is how we would defend his position, thereby making the pro-life movement seem idiotic and irrational. Thanks Ryan.

Posted by: Bobby Bambino Author Profile Page at August 4, 2009 4:58 PM

I've just got the say this somewhere. I bought 'Thine Eyes', a feature length video of the Right to Life March this year. My wife and I just viewed it Saturday.

It was a beautiful movie. If you get a chance watch it. I can't believe there were 300,000 people there and not one mention in the MSM not even on Fox. No newspapers, nothing. Only RTL sites and blogs.

But the movie is so meaningful and wonderful and there are all these kids involved, college kids, teens and younger. I am 71 and I really appreciate that the children have responded so well. There are also moms who've aborted, yes they actually march with signs saying they are sorry for their abortion.

A beautiful movie, you must see it.

Posted by: Andy at August 4, 2009 5:10 PM

"Unbelievable, punting to God as to "when life begins." No other place would we do this. "

Actually, during the Presidential Campaign period it also happened, remember?

And it also sounded stupid back then...

Posted by: RSD at August 4, 2009 5:40 PM

haha, indeed RSD. I meant as an answer to any other scientific question, but yes, our President did set a precedent with that little fopaux of his.

Posted by: Bobby Bambino Author Profile Page at August 4, 2009 5:48 PM

I ran mr. Ryan's bloviation through the tranmografier and here is the interpretation:

"Kill em all and if there is a god, let him/her sort em out."

I wonder if it ever ran through the darkened cob web laden recesses of Ryan's own mind, that he had adopted a position very similar to 'pro-slavers' of the previous centuries.

yro bro ken

Posted by: kbhvac at August 4, 2009 6:18 PM

Ryan is not the first, nor will he be the last turncoat to the PL movement. Going over to the "dark side" (proabort) is a powerful temptation to a politician looking for cash and votes, especially cash.

How weak are politicians? Well that answer's NOT above my pay grade.

Posted by: Doyle Chadwick at August 4, 2009 7:21 PM

Hi Andy,
    Just watched it and have to give a shout out to ProLife Wisconsin!! Woot! Saw their banner marching on.
    I was right behind the women of Silent No More. I marched with Operation Outcry http://www.operationoutcry.org and was so moved by the cheers and clapping and support from so many in the crowd. It is not easy to carry a sign that says abortion hurt you but there is strength in numbers!!

Posted by: carla Author Profile Page at August 4, 2009 9:14 PM

For the record, Dawkins is pro-life now, BB. ;)

Posted by: xalisae at August 4, 2009 9:38 PM

Ok, if we really don't know when life begins, wouldn't it be good to err on the side of caution and think it does begin at conception and not murder it before birth?

And, eeeow, we don't know "when it ends," only God does? You mean all the funerals I've been to were for people who might not really be dead?

Posted by: Luana at August 5, 2009 12:39 AM

" For the record, Dawkins is pro-life now, BB. ;) "

Really? I wasn't saying he was or wasn't, but I always thought he wasn't pro-life. Is this recent? Is there an article on his blog or something about his conversion? Thanks.

Posted by: Bobby Bambino Author Profile Page at August 5, 2009 12:10 PM

Luana @ 12:39 a.m.

I think Ryan's prepared this statement as his stock response on questions of abortion or euthanasia, hence the "ends" part of it. That way, he can kill two birds (i.e. vulnerable population groups) with one stone(i.e. irresponsible, illogical statement). You notice, "and all that other stuff" at the end? That can cover questions like, "Is a life worth preserving if one will be disabled/ill/etc.?"

Posted by: klynn73 at August 5, 2009 2:35 PM

Whups. Wrong prominent atheist. It was Christopher Hitchens I was thinking of, BB. My apologies. :(

Sometimes I get so excited when another atheist defects to the pro-life side, I speak without thinking. :P

Posted by: xalisae at August 5, 2009 3:50 PM

Oh yes. That I did know. He actually makes that somewhat clear in his book "God is not great."

Posted by: Bobby Bambino Author Profile Page at August 5, 2009 3:52 PM