A pro-lifer eulogizes Ted Kennedy

UPDATE, 1:53p: In a good Catholic Independent piece, "Good Ted Kennedy, Bad Ted Kennedy," Mark Stritcherz writes:

The good Ted Kennedy spoke eloquently for and supported the most vulnerable of all human beings....

bork 7.jpg

In a little-noticed vote in April 1976, he favored a joint Senate resolution to define personhood as beginning at conception.

The bad Ted Kennedy turned his back on the least of these. Not only did Kennedy by the 1980s come out in support of Roe v. Wade; he also supported taxpayer funding of abortion. His most consequential pro-choice advocacy was the 1987 Supreme Court hearing of nominee Robert Bork. Standing on the Senate floor, Kennedy assailed Bork as a jurist whose rulings would force women to resort to "back-alley abortions." Kennedy's verbal assault helped defeat Bork, who would have been a 5th vote to overturn Roe.

[HT: Keith Mason of PersonhoodUSA.com]
_______________

UPDATE, 11:57a: Ellen Malcolm is the president of EMILY's List, an organization focused exclusively on electing pro-abortion Democrat women to national offices. Why do pro-aborts avoid the A-word when eulogizing proponents? Click to enlarge...

ellen malcolm kennedy.jpg

I also note Ellen is not extending her prayers, just thoughts.
_______________

UPDATE, 11:35a: Statement by Nancy Reagan...

nancy reagan 2.jpg

Given our political differences, people are sometimes surprised by how close Ronnie and I have been to the Kennedy family. But Ronnie and Ted could always find common ground, and they had great respect for one another. In recent years, Ted and I found our common ground in stem cell research, and I considered him an ally and a dear friend.

Why not say the word, Nancy? EMBRYONIC stem cell research, that's where you and Senator Kennedy found common ground, in promoting the dissection of the youngest of preborn humans.
____________

UPDATE, 11:05a: A statement by Planned Parenthood...

pp mourns kennedy.jpg
_______________

ted kennedy.jpg

I imagine most would like to die as Ted Kennedy did, knowing a relatively pain free end was coming - and approximately when - so as to use that gift of time to spend with loved ones as well as search their past and soul to try to make any amends necessary with the world and with God.

Kennedy was given all that, a year knowing he had terminal brain cancer before he died at home last night at the age of 77.

Only God knows the condition of Kennedy's heart when he fell asleep here and woke up there.

ted kennedy young.jpgBut on earth Kennedy never retracted his pro-abortion stance. We know he was capable of changing his mind because he was once pro-life. Kennedy fully understood the magnitude of the issue before renouncing the sanctity of preborn human life, as demonstrated in an August 3, 1971, letter he wrote to a pro-lifer:

While the deep concern of a woman bearing an unwanted child merits consideration and sympathy, it is my personal feeling that the legalization of abortion on demand is not in accordance with the value which our civilization places on human life. Wanted or unwanted, I believe that human life, even at its earliest stages, has certain rights which must be recognized - the right to be born, the right to love, the right to grow old.

On the question of the individual's freedom of choice there are easily available birth control methods and information which women may employ to prevent or postpone pregnancy. But once life has begun, no matter at what stage of growth, it is my belief that termination should not be decided merely by desire....

When history looks back to this era it should recognize this generation as one which cared about human beings enough to halt the practice of war, to provide a decent living for every family, and to fulfill its responsibility to its children from the very moment of conception.

Kennedy knew.

ted kennedy older.jpgKennedy was called "the Lion of the Senate," by most accounts the most powerful of all, wielding tremendous influence. This means his opinion mattered more than others. In my mind Kennedy bears greater responsibility for his anti-life votes. They were not just votes. They were gauges by which others voted... and more. In his book, Onward Christian soldiers: The growing political power of Catholics and Evangelicals in the United States, Deal Hudson wrote:

Mike Schwartz, a longtime pro-life Democrat who now works [as chief of staff] for [Republican] Tom Coburn, maintains that it is impossible to overestimate the impact decision on the Democratic Party, the Church, and politics in general: "He changed everything. Had Ted Kennedy maintained his pro-life posture, I don't think American liberalism would have said that it is a good thing to butcher the unborn."

So here is Kennedy's anti-life legacy, compiled by a grateful NARAL, which consistently gave him a 100% approval rating year after year after year....

• Voted NO on defining unborn child as eligible for SCHIP, March 14, 2008
  • Voted NO to increase funding to enforce the Child Custody Protection Act, previously passed in the Senate to stop interstate trafficking of minors for abortion without parental involvement, March 13, 2008
  • ted kennedy dark.jpg

• Voted YES to expand taxpayer funding of human embryonic experimentation, thwarting President Bush's moratorium, April 11, 2007
  • Sponsored legislation to force all hospitals, regardless of religious beliefs, to provide emergency contraception to sexual assault victims, September 26, 2006

• Voted NO on notifying parents of minors who get out-of-state abortions, July 25, 2006
  • Voted YES on $100M to expand comprehensive sex and and availability of contraceptives to teens, March 17, 2005
  • Voted NO on the Unborn Victims of Violence Act, which made it a crime to harm a preborn baby during the commission of a violent crime, March 25, 2004
  • Voted NO on the Partial Birth Abortion Ban, March 12, 2003
  • Voted NO on maintaining a ban against abortion on military bases, June 20, 2000
  • Voted NO on the Partial Birth Abortion Ban, October 21, 1999
  • Voted NO on banning human cloning, February 11, 1998
  • I once checked out Kennedy's office in the Russell Senate Building in Washington, DC. I was scouting for a friendly senator whose office we might use to film the March for Life as it passed by on Constitution Avenue. Ironically, the offices for Kennedy and his staff spanned half the length of the building, with all windows facing the March. I knew Kennedy was no friendly. Sometimes it's the little things.

So farewell, Senator Kennedy. I do mourn for you if you were not right with God when you died. I hold out hope you gave your life to Jesus, accepting His gift of eternal life in exchange for His death for us on the cross. Doing so erases the gravest of sins, even one's partial responsibility for millions of abortions.

And Senator Kennedy, your death also provokes me this morning into deep mourning for those innocent children.

Comments:

I want to know how he went from Pro Life to Pro Death so fast? Maybe it was the assassinations of his two brothers? That may have eventually effected him.....but to not even want an unborn child to be covered by SCHIP......or the Unborn Victims of Violence? Have Mercy on His Soul...

Posted by: LizFromNebraska at August 26, 2009 11:01 AM

I think his August 1971 letter is one of the best written on the subject. It is a shame he became so opposed to life.

Posted by: Kristen at August 26, 2009 11:02 AM

Well said, Jill. I shed no tears for this man, as he truly is more culpable than most on destroying a culture of life in this country. The most fitting memorial I can think of is to have Mitt Romney run for and win his senate seat, thereby having a position from which to round out his resume and retake the White House in 2012. I personally am not a fan of Romney, and do not consider him particluarly trustworthy, but his official position these days is pro-life and he represents our best opportunity to present a seasoned executive behind whom we can defeat Obama.

Posted by: Kevin Keane at August 26, 2009 11:06 AM

I know many Democrats who started their political careers being pro-life and shortly switched and became pro-choice. One is a former Senator from my county, and he had been to the Seminary studying to be a Priest. Another is MI's current Lt. Governor. Mr. Cherry started out working for State Rep, Rev. Gary Corbin, and then as he climbed the political ladder, he became very liberal - pro-choice and more.

Posted by: Judy at August 26, 2009 11:14 AM

VERY well written Jill. I am confused as to how and why the same man that wrote that letter in 1971 could vote against the PARTIAL BIRTH ban. But like you said we will hold out hope that he was transformed back to his 1971 position before his death. But I seriously doubt that happened. Only God knows...BUt it does inspire me personally to keep fighting for life and not change courses due to the pressures of popular opinion. I do pray for his family..maybe there is hope for the next generation of Kennedy's.

Posted by: Deanna Jones at August 26, 2009 11:46 AM

Power corrupts.

IIRC Kennedy's transition to being a champion of the liberal left came through a single day's discussion with 4 emissaries, including some radical Catholic priests who sat down with the whole Kennedy clan in Hyannisport and laid out a table of lies. The short of it - they consumed the idea that God doesn't have a problem with abortion.

When it comes to life - either you think it unquestionably, immeasurably valuable or you don't.

There's no in-between. None.

Posted by: Chris Arsenault at August 26, 2009 12:10 PM

The Bible says "'As I live!' declares the Lord God, 'I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn from his way and live. Turn back, turn back from your evil ways!...'" (Ezekiel 33:11 NAS).

Posted by: xppc at August 26, 2009 12:20 PM

Of course being pro-life does not guarantee you salvation. Only faith ALONE in Christ Jesus guarantees you salvation. I don't know his heart but if he wasn't trusting in Christ for his salvation then I wouldn't want to be Ted Kennedy for all the money and political savvy in the world! I always feel a sense of sadness at a human death but I will not waste time grieving for this man. He made his choices and now will answer to God for them, whether they were good or bad.

Posted by: Sydney M at August 26, 2009 12:29 PM

maybe there is now justice for Mary Jo Kopechne.

And maybe Kennedy now fully understands some of the many teachings of the Catholic church that he seemed so confused about...

I'm sending my thoughts but not much else to the Kennedy clan.

Posted by: angel at August 26, 2009 12:50 PM

Jesus said in the Sermon on the Mount "Blessed are the merciful, for they shall obtain mercy". Wow! I wonder if he expected God to be as merciful to him as he was to the preborn over the last 20 plus years. Hmmmm.... I did not realized he voted agaist the PBA ban not once but twice.

I cannot weep for this man but do pray he called out to Jesus Christ and repented before he breathed his last.

Posted by: Prolifer L at August 26, 2009 12:54 PM

To my dear Catholic prolife friends I do have a sincere question. With Kennedy's pro-death agenda, will the Bishops and hierarchy of the Catholic church allow this man to be eulogized and celebrated like he was a truly faithful, practicing Catholic? I am just wondering about this?

Posted by: Prolifer L at August 26, 2009 1:05 PM

A bit off topic here...I just saw the trailer for "Blood Money" from lifesitenews.com and its a film that exposes abortion..the politics, the reality of it. They are encouraging people to watch it on Youtube so that the producers and get a distributor to show the film.
    If you have a moment today, I encourage you to see it.

Posted by: NewMom at August 26, 2009 1:14 PM

Hi Prolifer L. To answer your question, I can only give a somewhat educated guess, but it is based on the fact that the hierarchy does not involve itself in funerals of an individual. Where the funeral will be celebrated will probably be up to the family, and then what is said of him will probably be in the hands of the priest whose parish the funeral is celebrated. MAYBE the bishop will get involved, but I'm not sure if even a very good bishop would see it prudent to inform the presiding priest that he should not say that Kennedy was a good Catholic. But my guess is that all this will be a moot point, as a Catholic funeral is usually focused on God, and there is not much opportunity during the funeral itself to improvise and start talking about the actual deceased, save of course, during a homily. But a good homily at a funeral is usually the type of homily that could be preacher at ANYONE'S funeral i.e. it is blind to the specific deceased.

To sum up, I don't think there will be much said about him personally at his funeral, and of the things that are said, my guess is that they would have more to do with his career and family life rather than faith. Hope that makes some sort of sense, Prolifer. God love you.

Posted by: Bobby Bambino Author Profile Page at August 26, 2009 1:54 PM

Just watched it, NewMom...powerful!

Posted by: Pamela at August 26, 2009 1:57 PM

Doing so (getting right with God before dying)erases the gravest of sins, even one's partial responsibility for millions of abortions.

Yes, he may be granted forgiveness that will prevent eternal punishment in hell but he will still have to make amends before entering paradise with God....according to his Catholic faith. So, hopefully his family will begin offering many Benedictine masses for his final eternal rest. Forgiven sin (the right to eventually enter heaven with God) carries its matching requirements of reparations and today's abortions are the greatest abomination before God. And how sad it is that after being advised by his own bishops/priests he (and the other CINOs in Congress) refused that authority. The apparent good he did by fleecing money from good people to cover this kind of stuff should not be eulogized when it is all negated by the millions now destroyed through his influence and his own personal gifts from God.

And how ironic that this Obamacare, if given his name as a legacy, will only serve to kill more being paid for by taxes and force members of his own faith to conform and perhaps have a huge number of Catholic hospitals and services to close down.

Posted by: KC at August 26, 2009 2:16 PM

In previous comment - the correct term should have been "Gregorian" masses.

Posted by: KC at August 26, 2009 2:19 PM

Thanks NewMom! Looks like a great documentary.

I feel so sad for Kennedy. He believed a lie and it probably cost him his eternal destiny.

Posted by: Ed at August 26, 2009 2:29 PM

Today, Rush Limbaugh used the phrase "Teddy-Care" to characterize the best care possible that each American deserves, versus "Obama-Care" (Lord knows what that will be). I don't know if it is Limbaugh who coined the phrase, but I thought it was quite good.

Posted by: Janet at August 26, 2009 3:25 PM

from what I've been able to learn, Kennedy will lie in repose at JFK Presidential Library and Museum and his funeral Mass will be at Our Lady of Perpetual Help (Mission Hill, Boston) on Saturday.
    He will be buried at Arlington National Cemetery.

As for the Mass, expect a homily that confers sainthood on this poor man.

Posted by: angel at August 26, 2009 4:31 PM

Hell is feasting on a HUGE Pro-Abort soul. How disgustingly pathetic.

Lord Have Mercy!

Posted by: Elle at August 26, 2009 5:03 PM

With the exception of the Glenn Beck show, I am not watching any of the "news" channels. Even Fox is making him into a saint.

What a shame he went from so pro life to anti life. And I do agree because of his tremendous influence it's got to be a lot responsible for the Democractic party as a whole being so pro abort. They won't even allow pro life speakers to talk at any of their conventions. They are not welcomed.

Also it should be pointed out that the Senator got 40 more years than Mary Jo Kopechne did.

Posted by: Joanne at August 26, 2009 5:32 PM

Hell is feasting on a HUGE Pro-Abort soul. How disgustingly pathetic.

Lord Have Mercy!
    Posted by: Elle at August 26, 2009 5:03 PM

Amazing you have such powers to know these things. Good for you.

Posted by: Hal at August 26, 2009 5:45 PM

Hal,
    I'm amazed too!

Posted by: Marie at August 26, 2009 6:33 PM

Jill,

The article is wonderful and informative. Thank you. It's a shame that most of us find out about the entire lives of people after they pass.

Your last two paragraphs were simply beautiful. They brought tears to my eyes. It's the first time I think I've seen a different side of you. I have more respect now for you than I did before. (and there was a whole heck of a lot of respect before!)

Thank you again.

Posted by: Marie at August 26, 2009 6:41 PM

God will either see Ted before Him, or will see His Son standing in for Ted. This will be immensely important to Ted Kennedy today!

Posted by: John at August 26, 2009 7:03 PM

Good heavens. Kennedy was pro-life at one time??

I had no idea (it was before my time). It's so odd that someone who could express such strong pro-life sentiment before, would become pro-choice later. I've heard of pro-choice people turning pro-life but it's so rare to hear of the reverse, I guess. And to me, personally, it's a very sad thing if someone does go from being pro-life to pro-choice.

I hope that Mr. Kennedy did repent before it was too late. I don't pretend to know the answer to that but all I know is that I really and truly grieve when someone dies without repenting and accepting Christ.

Posted by: army_wife at August 26, 2009 7:09 PM

"It's so odd that someone who could express such strong pro-life sentiment before, would become pro-choice later"

Sure, people evolve and grow.

Posted by: Hal at August 26, 2009 7:21 PM

Sure, people evolve and grow.

Posted by: Hal at August 26, 2009 7:21 PM

The word you were looking for is erode, not evolve.

Posted by: Kristen at August 26, 2009 7:33 PM

Jill, great post.

Barack Obama will give the Eulogy at a Catholic church in Roxbury Mass.

Posted by: Jasper at August 26, 2009 7:48 PM

Earlier today, as I was listening to yet another speaking of Ted Kennedy, I had a mental picture of him being met by the Lord, surrounded by a multitude of children of all ages, beginning with the day that he (Kennedy) turned his back on them the first time as he crossed the line from pro-life to pro-choice -- who are we kidding? Pro-abortion.

Lord, have Mercy on him. He now knows Truth.

Posted by: WI Catholic at August 26, 2009 8:21 PM

Thanks for your answers to my questions Bobby and KC. It would be indeed be sad to hear Catholic clergy put this man who stood stubbornly against the sanctity of life taught as a fundamental tenet of the Catholic Church, be lauded and celebrated. I have family members who are Protestant clergy who have eulogized those who turned against the church and it's teachings and they preached to the living about the plan of Christ for salvation, were respectful but made no attempt to "put the deceased into heaven". Do you understand what I am saying?

Posted by: Prolifer L at August 26, 2009 8:50 PM

He made a horrible mistake in abandoning the children and writing No Child Left Behind, but I doubt that he's going to hell- he fought hard for the poor and was (from what I've read) firmly rooted in faith. The senator's stances were that of increasing (most of) the underdogs' stances in the world.

We don't know why he was pro-choice; we just have to try and see the positive legacy that he left behind of trying to get those who society deems "a waste of space" into the mainstream: that's the point of being pro-life. Children are deemed a waste of space, and so we have to work to earn them their rights- that's not too different from what he was doing.

Anyways...this is such sad news. I hope that his family is okay and that things were peaceful for him.

Posted by: Vannah at August 26, 2009 9:14 PM

Rest in peace, Senator Kennedy. America mourns today for one of the few truly great Americans.

Posted by: Erin at August 26, 2009 9:33 PM

I grieve for his family's loss.

I am grateful for the nations gain, however short lived it may be.

I am somewhat surprised that so many here could wonder how the 'lyin of the Senate' could switch position so quickly and so radically from ostensibly pro-life to purportedly pro-abort.

He would have flipped the other way in an instant if he thought it would have furthered or saved his career.

There is no mystery in this.

Ted Kennedy shifted with the political winds.

He was a 'politician' after all.

His political career was his primary consideration and all else took second place.

Teddy was not a honorable man.

Edward was sitting U.S. Senator, a married man and a 'good' catholic (to those who had no interest in knowing otherwise.) when he drank too much moonshine and took that little midnight moon light drive with Mary Jo off the bridge into the bay.

Mary Jo took a backseat to Senator Ted's career,.... literally. That where the divers found her drowned and dead body, the back seat of Teddy's car. The marks were visible on the headliner of the car made by her fingernails as she frantically attempted to claw her way out the submerged car until her oxygen gave out and she sunk under the rising water and drowned.

And where was the lyin of the Senate of while Mary Jo was fighting for her life?

This champion of womens rights was holed up in a motel room, sobering up and arranging his alibi/excuses/lies arranged to avoid the death of his political career while the woman he abandoned in his sunken car was crying for help.

Ted may have done some kind things in his life.
    (Rest assured that even the devil can do a gentlemanly thing.)

But judge the man by the combined lack of character of his supporters who have eulogized him in death and you will see that birds of a feather do flock together and if you take into consideration his children you will see the fruit does not fall far from the tree and then it just lies there and rots.

This is a part of Ted Kennedy's legacy which should never be forgotten when his life's work is reviewed.

He was as duplicitous and shallow as any politician who ever breathed a breath of alcohol tainted hot air.

God rest his soul.

I hope, it is too late to pray, that he found the forgiveness that is available to every man in Jesus.

God only knows how much we all are in need of it.

yor bro ken

Posted by: kbhvac at August 26, 2009 9:58 PM

I do not presume to know exactly where Sen. Kennedy's soul is today because I do not know what transpired between him and God before he died however Jesus taught "it would be better for a milestone to be tied around the neck and be dropped into the sea for those who hurt one of his little ones", "suffer the little children to come to me, forbid them not for of such is the kingdom of heaven" "why call me Lord, Lord and do not the things that I say" and that there are those who will say "I have fed the poor in your name, I will say depart from me you worker of iniquity I never knew you". I do find it kind of hard to equate someone being a great "humanitarian" and a Christian when they deny innocent "HUMAN BEINGS" the right to BE, exist or live. I know we all need God's forgiveness, including myself. I won't argue this point, but I think Catholics teach murdering unborn babies is considered a mortal sin and I am very sure that every aborted dead baby loses his or her "mortality".

Posted by: Prolifer L at August 26, 2009 9:59 PM

Posted by: Jasper at August 26, 2009 7:48 PM

"Barack Obama will give the Eulogy at a Catholic church in Roxbury Mass."
    --------------------------------------------------

Just one more opportunity for B.O. to 'partner with God in matters of death'.

Perhaps B.O. will take this opportunity to 'partner with GOD in matters of life' and raise the deceased Senator from the dead.

I fully expect the democrat leadership in the Senate to allow Ted to vote for Obamacare and to do it posthumously. Ted's being dead should pose no obstacle to liberals. Dead people vote early and vote often, but only for democrats.

yor bro ken

Posted by: kbhvac at August 26, 2009 10:06 PM

From ABC News:

"http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/TedKennedy/story?id=8420408"

"To infuse Kennedy into the health-care debate, Democrats are planning to affix the former senator's name to the health-care legislation that emerges from Congress."

"The idea of naming the legislation for Kennedy has been quietly circulating for months but was given a new push today by Sen. Robert Byrd, D-W.Va., the only person who served with Kennedy for all his 47 years in the Senate."

--------------------------------------------------

Teddy trafficed and traded on the Kennedy name and rode the Kennedy coatails into political office. It is only fitting that the liberal humanist democrat politicians should exploit the memory of the now dead Ted Kennedy to advance their socialist statist agenda.

(Are you paying attention HAL?)

I would not be surprised to see videos and photos of his surviving liberal cohorts hoisting his coffin on their scrawnhy shoulders and parading it through the streets of Roxburry, rending their garments and crying crocodile tear and shouting, "Health care now, health care now, health care now!

Ted Kennedy has become the poster child for the untouchable caste of liberal victim spokesweasels.

Great nothingness forbid that any mere mortal speak ill of this dead liberal polictician or any legislation that bears his holy name.

yor bro ken

Posted by: kbhvac at August 26, 2009 11:16 PM

I see hate and venom in these postings, when as Christians aren’t we suppose to forgive. If I didn’t know these postings were written by Christians, I would be hard-pressed to call the writers Christians based on the bitter, abusive-sounding criticisms. We have to look at the whole person not just one side. Ted Kennedy did a lot of good in helping pass legislation to help children, the marginalized and the rights of minorities and others who have no voice in our society. One in four children go without health care, shouldn’t we be just as concerned with that as we are against a culture of death, whether it be abortion or the death penalty. I for one would not pretend to be God and judge what lies between a person’s soul and his or her Maker. As Jesus said, "He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone …."
    ________________________________________

Posted by: Arlene at August 26, 2009 11:27 PM

I have no venom or hate for the man, and it stumps me how people cannot see a plain fact.

If you do not stand up for the unborn, but stand up for other marginalized people, you are only standing up for SOME AND NOT ALL of the marginalized people.

Based on his stated positions and voting record, Kennedy chose to abandon the smallest and weakest people.

So, while I would not pick up a stone to throw at Kennedy, I do not have to accept that his advocacy for many people outweighs his betrayal of many others.

No human rights can happen if someone is not first ALLOWED TO BE BORN. I am especially interested in Kennedy's legislation on personhood that Jill referenced. That's a cause worth picking up again.

Posted by: Mary Ann, Singing Mum at August 27, 2009 12:26 AM

Wow. I just read the entire post again- very powerful. I wish I could ask Kennedy why he changed his mind. Why preborn life was valuable and then... wasn't.

I can't follow a liberalism that refuses to look at the humanity of the unborn. Its like cutting off a part of your heart.

I have a big sense of shame about Christians who do this, Catholics especially. May God forgive him, and may he truly rest in peace.

Posted by: Mary Ann, Singing Mum at August 27, 2009 12:44 AM

Arlene, if you are referring to me, I do NOT hate anybody, too busy to waste the time, would not waste the energy and would not jeopordize my relationship with my Lord, especially over someone like Ted Kennedy. I find it sad that a man of such "means" who is being lauded as so compassionate for the poor, could find NO compassion for the "least of these", the innocent unborn, that for the last 21 years he never saw an abortion law he did not like and his pro-death record speaks for itself. Read the list of bills NARAL credits him voting for or against to give him an 100% approval rating. Jill did an awesome job just documenting his record "By their fruit you shall know them".

Posted by: Prolifer L at August 27, 2009 9:01 AM

"I think Catholics teach murdering unborn babies is considered a mortal sin."

Yes. Yes indeed. Except technically to be correct, it is what we would call grave matter. In order for something to actually be a mortal sin, it must satisfy 3 conditions- grave matter, full knowledge, full consent of the will. We may objectively say that anyone who supports abortion is engaging in grave matter. However, the subjective aspect of this is their knowledge- that is something that we can not judge because we simply do not know how culpable someone is for what they do. Only God knows that, so in the most technically correct sense possible, we can never say that another person has committed a mortal sin (unless they specifically tell us). But it is nevertheless gravely evil to support abortion.

Posted by: Bobby Bambino Author Profile Page at August 27, 2009 9:49 AM

I just hate it when someone judges Christians for speaking out against evil and then whines "Let he that is without sin cast the first stone!" or "Judge not let ye be judged!" all the while looking down their noses in judgement of us.

Well let me tell you..Christ told us to be discerning and not to be be fooled by wolves in sheep's clothing. We were told to be the salt of the earth and to speak out against evil.

The Bible says by one's fruits you will know if someone was a true believer of Christ or not. I see Ted Kennedy as someone who practiced immorality and supported immorality. Its entirely biblical to point out the wickedness of his life and to caution people about waxing so sentimental about such an evil person. Its okay to feel sympathy for his family but to act like Ted Kennedy was this wonderful person is dishonoring to Christ. Christ, who laid down His life for all of us...remember, Ted couldn't even lay down his life for one poor frightened, drowning girl.

Posted by: Sydney M at August 27, 2009 9:50 AM

Speaking ill of the dead, a very classy move guys.

When I heard I was saddened just like I am saddened for any situation in which such death occurs. It is difficult for the family, pro-choice or no. Prayers are needed not just for him but for the survivors of his death. It does nothing to speculate on the state of his soul except to appear callous to the rest of us. There are things that he supported that were gravely morally wrong. However, it doesn't hurt to look at some of the good he did, too, if nothing else but be gracious for those who mourn him right now. It's not a very good time to hurl such hateful comments about him. Every person has light and dark inside of them. I usually prefer to remember the light when the person has recently died. When Reagan died, wasn't it easier for everyone to remember the good things he did for a bit before discussing the horrific things? Sensitivity, folks.

Posted by: Kate at August 27, 2009 11:39 AM

We shall all be judged after we die, by how we have lived our lives. Our legacy will be judged. No one can escape that.

I am praying for the Kennedy family. They have suffered much loss.

I can judge what Ted Kennedy said vs. what he did.
    Just like you, Kate.

Posted by: carla Author Profile Page at August 27, 2009 12:07 PM

I agree Carla, my family during our prayer time this morning prayed for the Kennedy family, for all those hurting today, for all the unborn babies, their mothers to choose life, the sidewalk counselors, CPCs and against the culture of death, immorality and selfishness that has permeated our country that makes killing our unborn to be considered a "choice". We prayed for God to help our nation, it's leaders, but especially it's people.

Posted by: Prolifer L at August 27, 2009 2:04 PM

Amen.

Posted by: carla Author Profile Page at August 27, 2009 2:53 PM

I hope that Sen. Kennedy repented before his death. it is a truly sad event when a man with so much for which to atone passes away.

I pray for the Kennedy family, that in experiencing this loss, their hearts begin to open to Christ's message. Lord, please work in the hearts and minds of the Kennedys; call them to you and reveal yourself to them.

I believe the Kennedy family could be a great force in the battle against abortion. But they need our prayers. They are clearly adrift, Catholics turned away from the Word. They have much for which to atone, and precious little time in which to do so. Pray for the conversion of their hearts.

Posted by: MaryRose at August 27, 2009 3:15 PM

Posted by: Kate at August 27, 2009 11:39 AM

"When Reagan died, wasn't it easier for everyone to remember the good things he did for a bit before discussing the horrific things? Sensitivity, folks."

----------------------------------------------------------

Kate,

Refresh my memory, please.

Just what were the 'horrific things' that Reagan did?

He has been deceased long enough we can have a candid discusion about his life and legacy.

Ted Kennedy is not a 'national hero', however.

People will not stand in line for hours for the opportunity to pass by his coffin and offer their last respects.

People will not line the overpasses and take their childeren with them, some who were not even born till after Ronald Reagan was in the final stages of Alzheimers, to get a glimpse of the hearse bearing his remains, not even in Ted's home state of Massachusetts or the city in which he lived.

Ted Kennedy is only a hero to liberals, who now hide behind the label 'progressive'. Most Americans, I suspect, will take not of his passing, like that of any other politician and get on with their lives now made increasingly more difficult by liberal politicians like Edward Kennedy.

yor bro ken

Posted by: kbhvac at August 27, 2009 10:52 PM

You anti-choicers are railing at the late senator for his supposed "baby-killing" and for being"anti-life",etc and all that nonsense.
    But Ted Kennedy strove throughout his career to create conditions in which poor women would be far less likely to seek and obtain abortions by trying to provide them with the means by which they could take care of their children ,unlike the hypocritical anti-choice politicians who wail about the"sanctity of lifde" and yet vote to eliminate government funding to help the poor, which only leads to MORE abortions.
    Kennedy was the real pro-lifer,and the real champion of the culture of life. He did more good in one week than all you anti-choicers will ever do in your collective lifetimes.
    It's anti-choicers who represent the real culture of death.

Posted by: Robert Berger at August 28, 2009 9:23 AM

Rest in peace, Senator. You did much for the poor; you were a good man.

Posted by: Vannah at August 28, 2009 11:05 AM

Posted by: Vannah at August 28, 2009 11:05 AM

"Rest in peace, Senator."

--------------------------------------------------
    Vannah,

There is no rest for the wicked!

I am sleepy now. I will write more after my power nap.

yor bro ken

Posted by: kbhvac at August 28, 2009 12:00 PM

Robert Berger, you should read "The Big Black Lie" by Kevin Jackson...it details a little how welfare and government hand outs actually lead to more poverty (thus more abortions). The whole mentality of not being responsible for your decisions (Hey I use drugs and can't hold down a job so I need welfare! and "Hey I had sex outside of marriage and got pregnant so I need to kill this baby!") is what has fostered this anti-family mentality that is prevalent in welfare communities. Handing out tax payer money without any accountability and rewarding immorality LEADS TO MORE ABORTIONS, not less!

Ted Kennedy didn't care about anybody but himself...I think his life has shown that. He was a drunk, a cheater EXPELLED from Harvard, and hey, don't forget about poor Mary Jo who tried to claw her way out of her watery grave while Teddy went home to sleep off his drunkenness.

Posted by: Sydney M at August 28, 2009 1:56 PM

I took a look at Kevin Jackson's website,and I'd like to read the book, but he ofrfers nothing but the same old conservative lies and myths about how if the government just stops welfare and all that, reduces taxes as much as possible,deregulates business, makes abortion illegal, and all that garbage, prosperity will increas egreatly and our"freedom" will be resotred and everything will be hunky dory .
    Don't believe all this tripe.
    Whatever his faults, senator Kennedy did an awful lot of good for this country, and he had infinitely more character and integrity than many
    of the narrow-minded, intolerant, self-righteous and hypocritical horses asses on the extreme right in Washington and elsewhere .
    And do you think a Chappaquiddick -like incident couldn't have happened among conservative republicans in Washington? Do you think they're all paragons of virtue ? If you do, you're extremely naive.
    Many of these sanctimonious jerks are actually
    prize slime balls in their private lives .

Posted by: Robert Berger at August 28, 2009 4:39 PM

"he had infinitely more character and integrity than many of the narrow-minded, intolerant, self-righteous and hypocritical horses asses on the extreme right in Washington and elsewhere"

How do you quantify character and integrity and how do you show that for any narrow-minded, intolerant, self-righteous and hypocritical horses asses on the extreme right, you can associate a number to them C such that for any natural number N, if T is the quantity of Ted Kennedy's character and integrity, then C+N

Posted by: Bobby Bambino Author Profile Page at August 28, 2009 7:35 PM

We are advised to 'judge not etc'; which simply means, that it is not our right to stand in 'eternal judgment' of a man's soul ( where he/she will spend eternal life).

People mistakenly use this to quiet any spiritual correction/admonishment. Jesus cleared the money changers from the Temple/ told the Pharisees, that they were as 'whitened sepulchers, filled with dead men's bones - hypocrites, vipers etc".

Senator Kennedy was lauded (various articles) today, as being a' voice for the voiceless - champion of the forgotten'. At his 'wake' he was lauded as being a 'shepherd who followed the values of the Gospel'!

With political correctness/ accusations, if one dare voice an opinion, they are accused of being a racist or un-American etc/ people become silent.

Yet, if you watch TV - there is no 'silence' on the most intimate of sexual commercials, sex ed for mere youngsters (including homosexuality etc). Check Scripture to note how many times the Lord warns that we 'be not deceived - of wolves in sheep's clothing - the parable of the sheep and goats etc'.

It simply astounds me that Senator Kennedy - from ALL the stories (his wake tonight) of his consideration, kindness, attentions to those (fellow Senators - veteran's families) around him that he would dare to champion abortion and have NO problem with the gruesome act of 'partial birth abortion' - which is MURDER/Infanticide!

My dear God, we hear torture condemned (rightfully so) yet shrug at this horrific act!! Hundreds of partial birth abortion are being utilized, as a form of birth control/ right up to the ninth month.

That Kennedy would have NO problem with minors going across state lines, without a parents knowledge, is criminal. This procedure has resulted in death/ and trauma beyond comprehension!

How is this being a VOICE for the most vulnerable/ voiceless? Mary Jo Kopechne was an only child. What went on that night (my opinion) has never been fully told. There was documentation, that he had been drinking heavily. Mary Jo did not drown, but suffocated, according to police divers.

She (according to the pros) might have lived for up to five hrs! With the Senator not reporting it for ten hrs / she didn't stand a chance. We do know that had this person (Senator) been one of us, that we'd certainly have suffered jail time.

A driver of a car (VT) who hit a pedestrian (they survived) was sentenced to 3 yrs prison yesterday! Over and over we see politicians/well connected, buying their way out of any consequences. Gore's son (late 20s) who has led a priviledged life (private schools) has been involved with drugs since age 13.

ONCE AGAIN ( a couple years ago) he was caught with a car full of prescription drugs/ his sentence? A stay at a $40,000 per month ocean side rehab center. Same with Howard Dean's son (age 16) drove get away car (VT) for robbery (liquor) of a country club. NO charges/ no record.

Meantime, same summer a 17 year old (NH) was caught in a silly prank - charged with a 'felony' served six months in prison - and on it goes.

Kennedy also voted for the REPEAL of the Glass Stegall Act ( FDR's protection for banks) and for the Finanical Modernization Act. In a nutshell these lit the fuse, for the horrific implosion (secret hedge funds - derivatives) of the 'global' economy!

VOICELESS? That's us, and multitudes of others (UK- Iceland - Noway) who have lost everything! He voted for the criminal Medicare prescription bill (donut holes etc) that has robbed many a citizen of the desperately NEEDED medicine they need!

The medical plan in his home state, is a colossal failure, and billions in the hole/ this is what they want for the rest of us!! Kennedy (Regan - Clinton - Ginsberg - Dodd -Specter etc) have, thanks to taxpayers, health benefits we can only dream of.

NO canceled policies or FIGHTING for needed treatments for them. Ginsberg (cancer) Dodd (cancer) - Clinton (quadruple bypass to ream his arteries of decades of Whoppers, Specter -cancer. We pay 72% of their premium costs. They have 10 plans to choose from (per info from US Congressman Shays), free prescriptions or minimal costs - dental - eyeglasses.

Theirs is a protected PLAN (Kennedy's Health Bill is not). Doctors in Massachusetts advised against surgery for Kennedy - he then had top neurologists flown to the Cape for consultation.

He was flown to another state for surgery/ had chemo - thus instead of a 3 month sentence he lived 16 months. There is NOT a one of us who could dictate our wishes.

They continue their medical coverage upon leaving office. They also have an obscene pension plan. While Social Security will NOT get a cost of living increase for TWO years - these Foggy Bottom Frat/Sorority folks will get their YEARLY cost of living raises/ also yearly cost of living in their PENSION plans.

With the numerous PERKS (family all have lobbyist jobs - on different moneyed boards) - treatment at Sloan Kettering (Ginsberg - Specter - Dodd); you can understand why they (our employees!) REFUSE to sign up for the same plan they are pushing on citizens.

If we were Ginsberg - Kennedy/ we would no doubt be dead. The plan they want for us - sees (over 65) any extra ordinary surgery/treatment - as a 'waste of money' - not cost effective. Kennedy is well aware of the DEALS already made with United Health - Aetna - and the drug companies (documented) that will reap billions for them/ with millions of "mandated" new customers - subsidized by government. Kennedy also worked with President Bush on No Child Left Behind (allows recruiters into schools - gives out children's private info/ phone # - addresses) and costs schools millions, with these various mandates and INSANE whole math/ whole reading - teaching to test etc. NOT in private schools!

Little wonder, that across the nation, there is a 50% drop out rate (some places higher). Ritalin (various psychotropic drugs) has YOUR child now identified (school records) as having a mental health problem.

Too bad, if they want to enter into a sensitive job career/ or military. THEY (Washington) all send their children (including Jesse Jackson on poverty monies) to exclusive private schools.

No teaching to the test in these schools. The Obama family (Chicago) sent their children to an exclusive school (approx $32,000 per child). Kennedy lived an idyllic life. It is tragic that his brothers were assassinated. My brother was murdered by 'caregivers' (institution)- my mother died (age 52) unable to get the needed surgery she needed. My younger brother died, unable to secure the special treatment he needed/ not being a Reagan - Clinton - Ginsberg etc.

Up until his late 30s, Kennedy was a womanizer - drinker (not secret) and party animal. He's never had to worry about medical bills - electric bills - mortgages - car payments - or the best of schools for his kids/ like many in Washington - including President Obama.

NO Obama wasn't on food stamps (his grandma was VP of Hawaii bank)- his mother worked for decades for Ford Foundation/ USAID/World Bank connections in Pakistan- Indonesia. She did NOT have any worries about her insurance (mere campaign rhetoric to identify with the masses).

How would he know anyway (his own admission) he NEVER found the time to visit her in the YEAR ( 94-95) that she was dying, after being treated at Sloan Kettering.

He was busy on a book tour and running for state office. I have been to Hyannis Port - (Kennedy's also had big estate in Palm Beach). It's a living environment we can't imagine. From the wake and stories given/ it appears that, yes, Senator Kennedy went out of his way to remember fellow politician's birthdays, family crisis's - veterans deaths etc.

I had the feeling, that after Mary Jo's - tragic event, that he was compensating, for the years of indifference, when he was focused on self indulgent entertainments? It was apparent though that he really did enjoy people -and had a wonderful sense of humor etc.

After his loss of the Presidency (Mary Jo) he finally found his niche. I think of the many charged, with such a serious crime as his, NEVER being able (due to record) to find a good job.

In Washington this isn't a problem. He had something the majority of society will never have. Because of the BEST medical care - he realized another 13 months of life. He was able to joy in his family - and up until the last week - go out on his schooner (its' teakwood - navy blue sail - beautiful)- and enjoy the awesome beauty of the Kennedy compound/ ocean views (no blight- no crime - no crack houses - no foreclosures - no echoing rusted factories).

Though I adamantly disagree with his stand on MANY issues -it was nice to hear that he didn't have to BEG for pain medication - nursing care (nor did Reagan), and staff, to assist him in enjoying his favorite pastime/ the sea. I would live there in a heartbeat - but I never will/

Maids, cooks, gardeners see to every need. As for repentance? Who's to know? I imagine (?) that if he was sincerely repentant, that he would make it PUBLIC (like he did his pro-abortion stance)?

His votes (for partial birth - cloning - stem cell) were PUBLIC and changed (for worse) lives. A public press release, would have possibly saved numerous unborn BABIES?

He made plenty of public appearances (last year of his life) for health care- and no mention of saving a child's life! The HAVES & NOTS. With all the praise of Kennedy caring for the down and out/ apparently this didn't extend to his backyard?

The Kennedy's made Martha's Vineyard, next door to the Compound (site of Mary Jo's death), a favorite haunt of rich liberals (professors - bankers - stars - CEOs etc).

With Kennedy all over the news - the death of Elton, a Brazilian 'serf' working in the Vineyard (they have THOUSANDS) died of HINI. Elton was only 26. He'd gone to the Vineyard hospital (reports) twice and was told he was 'fine'.

Finally, he made it to Mass General. They put him in a self induced coma, but too late his system was overwhelmed. The Vineyard now has a state of the art hospital. They no longer take the 'insurance' of the down trodden - much like Chicago University Hospital.

It was Michele's job ( $316,000 per year)to ship Medicaid po' folks to OTHER Chicago hospitals, to save their bottom line (documented). Most of these Brazilian workers (many undocumented) live on the mainland - unable, of course, to afford Vineyard housing.They live in hot trailers behind strip malls.

Martha's Vineyard couldn't function without them. Unlike Kennedy - Elton didn't have a year of the best of care - or a flight to Mass General. I thought about Elton tonight - and the Jars placed around Brazilian grocery stores on the island, collecting MONEY, to send him home.

This is future world. He lived mere miles from the Kennedy compound - along with thousands of others/ voiceless and powerless. He and millions of others are now homeless (thanks to Kennedy Glass Stegall repeal vote) because of the financial implosion - without JOBS - some (Michigan) found last winter frozen to death.

While Kennedy was praised for doing so much - and apparently he did / but not enough, to save the multitudes, (living in TENTS from Seattle to Hawaii) suffering, and unemployment RUNNING OUT. Kennedy is for wind farms but NOT at the CAPE. I looked around the room (tonight's wake) and thought ----few of you people have any idea the depth of suffering (housing - jobs - MEDICAL). You don't visit poverty and know it ----it takes living it.

He will be missed by his extended wealthy family - political friends - in- crowd / and those he remembered along life's path.

Me, I'm praying for Elton's unborn child, and his family in Brazil, who were counting on him. Senator Kennedy - Rest In Peace/ its not for us to JUDGE your final place in eternity - God judges men from the heart.

Please read Bernie Sanders blog - stories of citizens to see how terrible the situation (medically) is for ordinary work a day citizens. These stories are NOT on the news - they are appalling. Also read US Congressman Davy Crockett's "NOT YOURS TO GIVE" --if only we has a Davvy in Washington now.

Posted by: Jude at August 29, 2009 1:42 AM

What does it matter, in eternal terms, to gain accolades from sinful humans verses eternal rewards from the King, Jesus.

To gain the whole world but to lose your soul, gains absolutely nothing!

This ran across my mind as I was watching Ted's wake last night....

Posted by: John at August 29, 2009 8:10 AM

Matthew 16:26, right John?

Posted by: Bobby Bambino Author Profile Page at August 29, 2009 8:42 AM

Yes Bobby, Matthew 16:26....

Posted by: John at August 29, 2009 9:28 AM

The Catholic church my friends is just another RELIGION! It has NOTHING to do with Christianity!
    Which is why the pro-death Senator was able to have a Funeral "Mass" and recieve the sacrament of the "Eucharist" disregarding Paul's warning in 1 Corinthians 11:27 "Therefore whoever eats the bread or drinks the cup of the Lord in an unworthy manner will be guilty of sinning against the body and blood of the Lord" NIV. A RELIGION is all the Catholic church is and I'm glad I'm no longer a part of it!

Posted by: Mike Hassett at August 29, 2009 8:05 PM