Weekend homework assignment

It is critically important that pro-lifers bring pressure to bear against the socialized healthcare plan while our legislators are home on recess. We may not be able to attend townhall meetings, particularly as we see legislators now bailing or refusing to hold them.

letter to the editor.gifBut here is something each of us can do, from home, on the computer. And that is submit a letter to the editor of our local newspaper. This is the most widely read section of the paper. And it's free at our disposal.

StopTheAbortionMandate.com has even prepared 3 samples, which follow! Please choose one, or use one as a template to formulate your own thoughts, and submit it this weekend. Let us know in the comments section you have done your weekend homework! Also, if you create your own succinct letter others can use, post it as a comment, too....

Momentum is on our side now. Please do your part to help sustain it. Thanks!

Sample Letter 1

Dear Editor:

Like many families across the country, my own family is struggling to make ends meet, pay the bills and fill up the car with gas. Now President Obama wants to tax my family even more to pay for the trillion-dollar healthcare bill. But that's not the worst of it. He is mandating that abortion be covered under the healthcare plan, meaning that my family will be paying for abortions, whether we want to or not.

Whether or not I am pro-life or pro-choice is irrelevant. Abortion does not fall under the guise of healthcare and is not a right. I believe it is my choice to decide whether or not I should be funding abortion and whether or not I should be forced to fund it under bureaucrat-run healthcare.

Tell Congress to vote against any proposal that forces Americans to pay for abortion.

Sincerely,

(YOUR NAME)

Sample Letter 2

Dear Editor:

I thought that the Freedom of Choice Act (FOCA) was not going to happen and that taxpayers would not be forced to fund abortions. However, the abortion lobby has found a way to get the cornerstone issue of FOCA passed - they're trying to got taxpayers to fund abortions through the proposed healthcare reformbills.

There are no provisions explicitly stating that abortions should not be funded by taxpayers in the healthcare bill. That means that you and I will be forced to pay for abortions.

Not only that, FOCA wanted to mandate that abortion be covered under all healthcare plans. Guess what is in the proposed healthcare bill now? That's right - abortion is now a mandate and would be covered by all health insurance plans.

I don't want to be forced to subsidize abortions and I don't think the government has the right to force its citizens to pay for such a procedure. Tell Congress to vote against any healthcare reform bill if abortion is not explicitly excluded.

Sincerely,

(YOUR NAME)

Sample Letter 3

Dear Editor:

Under the healthcare plan, virtually every American will eventually be forced into a plan that mandates abortion by requiring individuals to buy health insurance that meets minimum benefits standards determined by unelected government bureaucrats. If the law does not clearly state that abortion is excluded, abortion automatically becomes a minimum required benefit.

Americans don't support this and don't support paying for abortions. The proposed healthcare bill amounts to a bailout for the abortion industry, which is swimming in profits already. Taxpayers should not be forced to subsidize this controversial industry.

Since abortion is mandated in the healthcare bill, every insurance plan will have to cover it and provide means necessary to obtain an abortion.

Tell Congress to vote no on any healthcare bill that does not include language to explicitly exclude abortion. No one should be forced to pay for abortions.

Sincerely,

(YOUR NAME)

Comments:

Done.

Posted by: carla Author Profile Page at August 8, 2009 12:54 PM

Yes!!!!! I am an avid letter-to-the-editor writer! We need to remind people that the administration trying to shove this healthcare reform down our throats are radically pro-abortion and if they have no compassion on a child in his mother's womb, do youreally think they will have compassion on you and I? especially if we're over 65 and have ANY KIND of health problem? We are going to find ourselves euthanized. And I truly worry we will enter an era of forced abortion should a woman find herself pregnant with a "defective" child. All to manage "costs", after a democratic discussion, ya know. Anyone read 1984? Its all coming true!!!!

Some in my extended family laugh at my "conspiracy theories" and my alarmist mentality but I am alarmed!!!! We need to wake up NOW before we open pandora's box and can't stuff the evil back into it! I mean, who ever thought years ago that one day in America you could open a dumpster outside a clinic and find a decapitated infant inside? We're there people, we're there!!!!

Posted by: Sydney M at August 8, 2009 1:45 PM

Yeah, Carla! And thanks for the encouragement, Sydney!

Posted by: Jill Stanek at August 8, 2009 2:13 PM

Pandora's box is an apt description, Sydney, mind if I borrow it?

Posted by: klynn73 at August 8, 2009 2:32 PM

spell check time. a few errors.

Posted by: Maria at August 8, 2009 3:16 PM

"Some in my extended family laugh at my "conspiracy theories" and my alarmist mentality but I am alarmed!!!!"

I bet they laugh. I'm laughing myself.

Posted by: hal at August 9, 2009 12:05 PM

huh. I'm not that bright? Do you even know me to pass judgment like that? Or because you disagree with me I just must be stupid....Thats really not very nice or mature.

Posted by: Sydney M at August 9, 2009 12:31 PM

Let me tell you, I was a History major in college (YES...I did go to college even for being so...well, not bright!) and if you study all the totalitarian and socialist regimes...the millions that were put to death under the banner of being "progressive"...if you study our constitution which most of our elected officials haven't even done (heck, we can't even get them to read this healthcare bill they wanna pass!) if you see the decline of our country economically--being set up for failure with the creation of the federal reserve, the dollar failing for not being backed by gold, the rise in crime and child abuse as abortion on demand became the law of the land, the massive unsustainable growth of the federal government...well then you would understand why I'm an alarmist. I am a LOUD alarmist...I'm a modern Paul Revere and if you who mock me don't wake up then you are just fools.

Posted by: Sydney M at August 9, 2009 12:38 PM

When I was in college we were limited to two exclamation points per sentence. Things have gotten way more liberal, I guess you're right!!!!

Posted by: hal at August 9, 2009 12:41 PM

When you can't attack the message, you attack the messenger. Or his/her punctuation, typos, or some such nonsense. Sydney is right on and is willing, I'm guessing, like most of us, to be called names if it means sounding the alarm. Why? There's still hope for the discerning: he who has ears to hear, let him hear! Honestly, we are not content anticipating I-told-you-so's when we're witnessing the destruction of our country, led by so many who've turned their backs on every principle that made her great.

Posted by: klynn73 at August 9, 2009 1:14 PM

I can attack the message. "destruction of our country?" Give me a break! We're in fine shape, and getting better. Those who over-react to every policy difference or disagreement are not patriots. Disagree if you wish, propose your own ideas if you have any, but let's stop screaming "the end is near."

Posted by: hal at August 9, 2009 1:20 PM

I love how people act as though forced euthanasia and abortion don't happen. I'm not just talking about China or other communist countries.

Look at the Netherlands, where terminally ill children are killed under the The Groningen Protocol. Of course, it's not just young children, but also the mentally handicapped and elderly afflicted with demintia.

The elderly are denied care with great regularity in countries with socialized medicine. Obama himself said that "perhaps it's better to just take some pain medicine" in response to a question about an elderly patient having heart surgery.

There will be rationing. The weak will take the brunt of the rationing. It is not the least bit crazy to state this fact.

Posted by: Lauren at August 9, 2009 2:06 PM

I know all about the Canadian healthcare system as I have a lot of family there. They all think us Americans are idiots to want the same poor care and waiting time (not to mention through the roof taxes to pay for it all) that they have.

I am not being silly or dumb to be an alarmist. I'm using common sense. I've heard from Nancy Pelosi's own mouth as well as Obama's that people over 65 will have MANDATORY COUNSELING...you know what for? EUTHANASIA!!!!! Obama has already said we will have democratic discussions to see who gets what surgery or therapy because we have to manage COSTS! When I see the pictures of babies in the third trimester who've had their heads ripped off or their buttocks carved off I surely can believe that my life will have little value to the government, especially should I dare to have any kind of medical malady.

Our country is not getting better. Who could honestly think that? The majority of Americans would disagree with you.

I'm sorry I use too many exclamation points. I type quickly and I sometimes add too many in my excitement. But I think its funny you would take issue with that, Hal, and not take issue with the ISSUES...typical liberal response. Can't respond to the issue so lets head off on a rabbit trail and try to confuse the matter.

My family that laughs at my alarmist mentality are Obama supporters. They are pro-abortion, pro-sexual perversion...pro-big ole government and the like. I love them, but they are the family I married into and I think they are foolish, self-absorbed people who are going to wake up one day when its too late and be very sorry they weren't more discerning.

Posted by: Sydney M at August 9, 2009 2:18 PM

I'm sorry I made fun of your exclamation points. I have done worse, it's no sin.

As for our country, it's fine. The people I talk to are so very thankful we have Obama in office during these difficult times. I know I am. But, we can certainly appreciate a healthy debate about specifics without acting like the very survival of the country is at stake.

Posted by: Hal at August 9, 2009 2:41 PM

I'm in the same boat, pretty much, and I agree with just about everything you've said.

Posted by: xalisae at August 9, 2009 2:43 PM

National Right to Life has two email templates at the link below which could be adapted for a letter to the editor. The first one addresses Capps as it pertains to the house bill. If you read both templates, you can see that the 3 STAM sample letters above seem to apply to the senate bill, which means proaborts could write in to counter your claims by referring to Capps and the house bill, even though we know Capps is only smoke and mirrors.

Since the bills haven't been merged, you can refer to both without getting bogged down in explanation by saying that neither bill contains an amendment that relieves your conscience of forced abortion funding via taxes or private insurance premiums. Just my 2 cents worth.

Posted by: Fed Up at August 9, 2009 3:22 PM

Hal,

"We're in fine shape, and getting better."
"As for our country, it's fine."

Fine, fine, fine..... What does that MEAN?

"But, we can certainly appreciate a healthy debate about specifics without acting like the very survival of the country is at stake."

I think the point is that the survival of our country as we have known it for over 200 years is at stake. Our descendants will not have the freedoms we have been accustomed to. Out in Liberal-land where you live, you may be rejoicing, but the majority do want to keep the status quo and will speak out using the right to free speech (while it still exists).

Posted by: Janet at August 9, 2009 3:25 PM

"I think the point is that the survival of our country as we have known it for over 200 years is at stake. Our descendants will not have the freedoms we have been accustomed to."

Janet, I assure you, no one supports freedom more than I do. I have as much today as a year ago, or 40 years ago (and in some ways, more). I can't even figure out what you're talking about. Status quo? I suppose you could argue that our current health care delivery system is better than any of the alternatives proposed. I, however, favor of some reform, as Obama promised during the campaign. The final result will probably be less than I want and more than you want. Hardly earth shattering news in the scheme of things. It's how the process works.

Posted by: Hal at August 9, 2009 4:07 PM

If I am forced to pay for someone else's abortion Hal, how does that spell
F-R-E-E-D-O-M??

Posted by: carla Author Profile Page at August 9, 2009 4:15 PM

Carla,

Just like you and I are forced to pay for roads others use but we don't. Or paying to put marijuana growers in prison if we don't want to. Or paying to invade a country that posed no threat to us. We pay for lots of things through taxes that we believe are immoral or irrelevant. That's democracy I guess. When I get enough political clout, marijuana growers will be free. When you get enough, abortion will be illegal.

Posted by: Hal at August 9, 2009 4:31 PM

I composed a lot of pro-life, pro-family letters to editors of newspapers and periodicals in the 1970s and 1980s and quite a few of the letters were published. The last couple of years I have used Internet websites frequently to post my opinions. Although my letters to editors are fewer now, I am still a strong believer in their value and think that they might be among the most important efforts a person can put forth. Thanks for the encouragement and some sample letters. A well thought through letter coming from the writer's own thoughts, experience, research and convictions can be powerful.

Sydney M., I agree with you that the disregard for innocent life is on the downward spiral. I like history and have read of the cultural/political destruction of life in past countries and cultures. (Russia and Germany in the 20th century are two outstanding examples).
It is striking that the political, cultural and moral climate that permeates the United States today has many similarities with these former bastions of tyranny in their formative stages.

Posted by: Raymond V Banner at August 9, 2009 4:32 PM

Hi Janet. Take heart! While their voices may not be heard on this blog, not all obama supporters are in favor of the health care takeover bill. I have been pleasantly surprised and actually quite gratified by the discussions I've had with colleagues who lean much further to the left than I do. It'd be nice if the libs in Washington would encourage the nation to engage in this kind of civil discussion. When they resort to name calling and insults, do they not realize they're insulting some of their own voting block?

Hal, if you value freedom, assuming that means a sense of self-determination in your health care decisions, please read the bills! If you believe that all citizens deserve the same freedoms, please read the bills!

Posted by: Fed Up at August 9, 2009 4:33 PM

Posted by: Fed Up at August 9, 2009 4:33 PM

I haven't read anything in the bills that would decrease my freedom in health care decisions.

I can always keep my current plan.

Posted by: Hal at August 9, 2009 4:37 PM

I can always keep my current plan

Wrong. Unless you're a federal employee you only get to keep your current plan during the grace period. And don't forget that your current plan will not be able to enroll new subscribers after the date the legislation goes into effect. So if you stay out of the exchange, your plan will go bankrupt from attrition. If you go into the exchange, you're under a government controlled plan.

We're being told, Hal, that millions are at risk of bankruptcy or foreclosure if they seek essential medical care. The bill diverts tax dollars away from care of the underserved and puts it in the coffers of special interest groups. Abortion is only one of those groups.

Does funding special interests help the uninsured woman with breast cancer or the guy whose insurance company dropped him after he was diagnosed with MS? Citizens in need of care don't take a back seat to special interest groups unless it's politics as usual and not the change we were all promised.

Oh, and you don't reduce the costs of health care when you fund elective procedures. Abortion is an elective procedure.

Posted by: Fed Up at August 9, 2009 4:51 PM

Yes Hal,
Paying for a road is exactly like paying for someone to have their baby sucked out of their womb.

Posted by: carla Author Profile Page at August 9, 2009 5:15 PM

"Janet, I assure you, no one supports freedom more than I do. I have as much today as a year ago, or 40 years ago (and in some ways, more). I can't even figure out what you're talking about."

Hal,
Most of us take our freedoms for granted until we don't have them anymore, so I'm not surprised you don't know what I'm talking about.

Fed Up,

You hit the nail on the head - our founding fathers tried to limit the powers of government in favor of the individual's right of self-determination. Take a look at the Democrat agenda for evidence of this.

Posted by: Janet at August 9, 2009 5:46 PM

"Take a look at the Democrat agenda for evidence of this."
("This" being their attempt to limit our choices.)

Hal,
This comment was for you, not Fed Up:

Posted by: Janet at August 9, 2009 5:51 PM

JYW,
You are banned. How many times must we say it?? Why do you continually come here and comment KNOWING you will be deleted?!

Posted by: carla Author Profile Page at August 9, 2009 6:41 PM

Hal:

But you laugh at everything including God Himself, don'y you?

Uthers:

Andt ef thuere aree eny mespeells en thes sintince its's entintionel.

Posted by: HisMan at August 9, 2009 8:22 PM

I think the house bill is H.R3200, but What is the senate bill number? Any help would be greatly appresated! RJ P.S. JYW, Hal, chill out dude!

Posted by: RJ Sandefur at August 9, 2009 8:37 PM

Hi RJ, hope you are well! If the senate bill has has a number, I don't what it is. It's called the Affordable Health Choices Act. Here's the address where you can download a copy.

www.defendyourhealthcare.us/houseandsenatebills.html

Posted by: Fed Up at August 9, 2009 9:05 PM

I'm NOT thankful that Obama is President now. He's doing many things I absolutely do not approve of. My mother knows many people in her Eastern state who voted for him and regret it now. Many servicemembers do not like him (although they are disciplined enough to show proper respect and obey him despite their feelings).

Abortion is taking away the very rights of an individual - it's completely contrary to what our nation was founded on. You know, the right to LIFE, liberty and the pursuit of happiness? Someone else pointed out that without the first (Life), you cant have the other two. Thus, it's morally wrong and the government shouldn't support it in any way, shape, or form. Especially with our tax money. Whatever happened to the old rhetoric "well, do what you want as long as it's not infringing on anyone else's rights". Uh, the unborn are having their basic rights completely taken away. Abortion is completely un-American. You don't take away the rights of others just so you can selfishly go about your business. My husband isn't putting his life on the line so that people can have the "freedom" to "choose" to murder their children and I'm sure it galls him just as much as it does me to see freedom twisted in such a disgusting, immoral manner.

I'll be glad when the next presidental election comes up so I can vote to "fire" our commander-in-chief. I didn't vote for him before and I certainly won't do it now.

Posted by: army_wife at August 10, 2009 9:44 AM

RJ, if you want the 175 pages of markup to the senate bill you can get it at help.senate.gov

Hal, I reread the senate bill last night. You may be right about keeping your current coverage if the final bill incorporates the senate language and drops the house mandate to transition to a qualifying plan during the grace period. I hope that's what they'll do. That'd be one step in the right direction toward accomodating people who are satisfied with their current plan.

Posted by: Fed Up at August 10, 2009 9:45 AM

Hi Army Wife. Head over to AmericasRight.com and read the article Hypocrisy, Hyperbole, and the Death of the Democratic Party. It's not about abortion, but it might make you feel better :) And the article below it is about a military couple.

PS- Tell your husband I said THANKS for his service to our country!

Posted by: Fed Up at August 10, 2009 10:02 AM

But you laugh at everything including God Himself, don'y you?

Posted by: HisMan at August 9, 2009 8:22 PM

[I have deleted some snarky anti-God commentary to avoid that debate again. If you were trying to provoke me into rude--but clever--rants, just let me know]

Posted by: Hal at August 10, 2009 10:43 AM

Army Wife--tell your husband my family says THANKYOU also for all he does to protect our freedoms!!!! My brother is a Marine who has been to Iraq twice and I just love our service men and women SO MUCH and am SO THANKFUL for the sacrifices they make on our behalf! And I am thankful for your sacrifices too Army Wife...I know its not easy for you either!

Posted by: Sydney M at August 10, 2009 11:27 AM

I just recieved a note from the local editor about my letter. He was concerned that the term mandates, was "too boad and misleading" and wants permission to edit it. I guess he wants to soften my letter. I had also included the point that abortion coverage will open the doors for women to be exploited in the clinics, therefore undermining her so called right to choose.

Posted by: muriel at August 10, 2009 11:56 AM

Hal:

Can you personally guarantee me my right not to abort a disabled child?

Can you guarantee me that I will retain my right not to use birth control?

Can you guarantee me that I will continue to be able to be prescribed drugs that could prevent the death of my unborn child?

Can you guarantee me that I will continue to be able to choose a provider I am comfortable with to oversee my care? Scratch that, I can't figure out whether my providers are pro-life now.

Can you guarantee me that my hospital will not be forced to back down on Catholic principles or go bankrupt because it refuses to?

Or is my right to choose limited to the "pro-choice choice"?

Posted by: YCW at August 10, 2009 2:19 PM