A poem by Joe Scheidler on the occasion of his 82nd birthday

Joe Scheidler 82.jpgPro-life hero and patriarch Joe Scheidler's 82nd birthday was yesterday! Happy birthday, Joe!

Today Joe emailed such a witty poem he wrote for the occasion. Here 'tis:

I'm eighty-two! By George, it's true. But there wasn't much that I could do...
I simply missed those lethal things that fit you out with "angel's wings."

I tried to have my eye knocked out - with a birthday gift iron-putter.
But Dr. Jimmy put it back. It looks just like the other.

A Roman Candle blew apart one Independence Day,
And left me with an ugly scar. It never went away.

I had a cancer, caught in time - the whole thing was a breeze.
What really made me mad as hell was losing both my knees!

I've eaten junk food by the ton, and should have died at twenty.
But I find junk food lots of fun, and felt I needed plenty.

My eyes are clear, my ears can hear - I'm steady on my feet.
I like to read, and walk and talk, but most of all to eat.

So mark my age, and call me old, since that's what people do.
But one thing I know you don't know: I'll live to eighty-two.

Comments:

Great poem. Even greater man. Joe Scheidler is one of the coolest and most genuine men I have ever had the pleasure of meeting. God bless you Joe!

Angele

Posted by: angele at September 8, 2009 5:54 PM

I had the wonderful pleasure of walking about a 1/4 mile with Joe. We had a wonderful conversation. What a kind, dear man.

But seriously, 82???? I'd say late 60's, but 82???? I had NO IDEA! I pray that I look that good if I am blessed to live as long as Joe.

Happy Birthday Joe! LOVE the poem!

Posted by: Marie at September 8, 2009 5:55 PM

I thoroughly enjoyed this poem! How witty and full of character he is!

Happy birthday to Joe Schiedler!

Posted by: Bethany at September 8, 2009 6:57 PM

I simply can't believe this old guy is 82! Wow!
Many blessings to a great prolifer!

Posted by: angel at September 8, 2009 7:21 PM

Happy Birthday, Mr. Scheidler. God bless you and your family. Thank you for all of your years dedicated to LIFE.

Posted by: Janet at September 8, 2009 8:14 PM

Long live Joe Scheidler!

We'll have to give him his birthday gift at ICL's Pro-life night @ Kiddie-Land Friday night!

I'd love to get him a purlple heart for all the lives he's saved, including mine!

God bless the whole Scheidler Family, even the one's that can't rhyme.

~ The Webers

Posted by: Weber Gang at September 8, 2009 11:33 PM

I love Papa Scheidler. May the Lord grant us many more years of him!

Posted by: Jacqueline at September 9, 2009 3:48 AM

82, really? Hardly looks a day past 70. Happy birthday, Joe!

Posted by: Rachael C. at September 9, 2009 6:53 AM

Happy Birthday Joe!
Ken n Jo Scott

Posted by: Jo Scott at September 9, 2009 8:26 AM

I don't know Joe, but he sounds like a wonderful person. I'm not that old yet, but definitely getting there. Congratulations Joe on reaching 82.

Posted by: Andy at September 9, 2009 9:57 AM

wow, is that picture current cause he looks very good for 82. I know that his son Eric of Pro Life Action League is in his 40s, so he must have older siblings if his dad is 82.

Posted by: LizFromNebraska at September 9, 2009 10:22 AM

Sorry, but I don't share your admiration for
Scheideler.. And he wants the government to make
What business of his are other people's sex lives ? Who appointed him judge,jury and executioner ? He doesn't care about unborn children . He just wants power, and specifically power over women . I have nothing but contempt for him.
Planned Parenthood does more to help women in one
day that Scheidler has ever done in his worthless life. I wish he would mind his own business and do something really constructive for change.
He's not pro-life; he's just anti-choice,anti-woman, anti-children,anti-freedom, and anti- moral decency .

Posted by: Robert Berger at September 9, 2009 10:57 AM

Happy Birthday, Joe!
Thanks for the giggles! XD

Posted by: MaryRose at September 9, 2009 12:11 PM

Mr. Berger,

Your disregard for human life ("his worthless life") doesn't speak highly for your regard for Planned Parenthood.

Posted by: MaryRose at September 9, 2009 12:43 PM

Robert,

I really want you to answer this question for me. If the government enacted a measure that you believed provided adequate support for poor pregnant women, would you then join us in making abortion illegal?

I'm going to post a separate response to your above comment, but all I really want is for you to answer my question.

Posted by: Janette at September 9, 2009 12:44 PM

"He's nothing but a self-righteous hypocrite . And he wants the government to make
contraceptives illegal because he's angry that some people like to have sex just for pleasure and not procreation."

Some pro-lifers are against contraception because of the dangerous mental disconnect it creates. The purpose of sexual reproduction is just that...to reproduce. When sex is viewed as for pleasure only, they are less liking to make sexual decisions that honor life - their life and that of any potential children. I am personally not against contraception when it is coupled with a responsible mentality and a commitment to life. People must realize that anytime they have sex, they could be creating a life. Contraception may cause some people to deny this reality.

"What an arrogant,self-righteous pompous ass ! What business of his are other people's sex lives ?"

Justice is everyone's business. When we see that a mentality, such as the mentality that separates sex from reproduction, is increasing disdain for human life, it is our duty to point it out.

"Who appointed him judge,jury and executioner ?"

Who appointed you the judge and jury over him? You're calling a man you disagree with "an arrogant, self-righteous, pompous ass". He's speaking out against actions he disagrees with. Tell me, who is being more judgemental?

"He doesn't care about unborn children . He just wants power, and specifically power over women ."

Um, do you have any proof of this? Or is it just another "because I say so" statement?

"Planned Parenthood does more to help women in one
day that Scheidler has ever done in his worthless life."

Haha, oh, ok. Any evidence of this?

"I wish he would mind his own business and do something really constructive for change."

Like what?

"He's not pro-life; he's just anti-choice,"

Against the choice to murder innocent human beings? Yes, I'd say that's accurate.

"anti-woman"

And supporting abortion is pro-woman? Creating another medium to manipulate and coerce women? Pitting women against their own children? Violently thwarting a biological function unique to women? Dismembering unborn women? Sex-selection abortion that heavily discriminates against females? Supporting the notion that a woman's value is defined by how much she can be like a man? Supporting the notion that fatherhood is optional?

"anti-children"

Ummm, ok. Advocating on behalf of children who have no legal protection is anti-children. Interesting logic.

"anti-freedom"

Like freedom for an entire segment of our population that is being denied basic human rights?

"anti- moral decency"

This one takes the cake. Killing innocents for the sake of conserving resources or limiting the amount of icky poor people is a very primitive idea. Morality tells us that all are valuable by virtue of our humanity alone.

Posted by: Janette at September 9, 2009 1:15 PM

"Planned Parenthood does more to help women in one
day that Scheidler has ever done in his worthless life"...
------------------------------------------

I shudder to think what kind of "help" PP gives to women everyday...

This guy better stop drinking the PP kool-aid before he passes out...

Posted by: RSD at September 9, 2009 1:23 PM

No, I would never want the government to make
abortion illegal. But if the government did enough to help poor pregnant women, there wouldn't be many abortions.
And also, abortion IS sometimes necessary to save a woman's life or to keep her from grievous
physical harm from a pregnancy gone wrong .
But all Scheidler does is make trouble by his stupid protests . He doen't really help poor pregnant women. And as a conservative,naturally he doesn't want the government handing money out to people, because that's"socialism".
Do you anti-choicers want the government to require that women die because of a pregnancy? I hope not.

Posted by: Robert Berger at September 9, 2009 2:50 PM

Friends:

Thanks for all the birthday wishes for my father. It was a real hoot when he read this poem at his party Monday.

The picture in this post is a couple of years old, but only a couple. There are lots of more current pictures on the Pro-Life Action League website.

It is true that I'm in my 40s (I turn 43 in a couple weeks), but I'm also the oldest of my father's seven children. He married in his late 30s.

My only comment to Mr. Berger is this: Joe Scheidler has seven kids and nineteen grandchildren (so far). He's still going strong and we all intend to follow him to a great age fighting abortion.

Eric Scheidler
Executive Director
Pro-Life Action League

Posted by: Eric Scheidler at September 9, 2009 4:19 PM

Dear Scheidler family,
Fighting with you!! Happy Birthday, Joe!!

I apologize for Robert Berger. His comments have been edited. I am sorry it is after the fact.

Posted by: carla Author Profile Page at September 9, 2009 7:07 PM