"Dem: Prevent abortion funding, or I'll block healthcare"

Democrat Congressman Bart Stupak is not going away. From The Hill, tonight:

A leading pro-life Democrat in the House is threatening to block healthcare reform if Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-CA) doesn't allow a vote that would prevent the bill from funding abortions.

stupak getty.jpg

Rep. Bart Stupak (D-MI), co-chairman of the House Pro-Life Caucus, says the Democratic leadership must allow a vote adding the "Hyde Amendment" to the bill. That amendment prevents federal dollars from going to abortion funding.

"First of all, you have to give us our vote," Stupak told CBN News, repeating the message he's relaying to the Democratic leadership. "If you don't give us our vote, everything's off the table."...

Stupak said he has enough votes to block the legislation in the House if... Pelosi... prevents a vote on the pro-life proposal.

Stupak added that he's particularly "cautious" about the Hyde Amendment language because the Obama administration has helped beat back previous pro-life efforts this year....

Republicans and pro-life Democrats tried to add an amendment preventing abortion funding when healthcare legislation was working it's way through the House Energy and Commerce Committee. Pro-choice Democrats successfully blocked it.

As an aside I note the reporter called each side by its preferred term.

[HT: Twitter follower Tulipgrrl; photo via Getty]

Comments:

This dude has balls.

Posted by: Nate Sheets at September 9, 2009 10:38 PM

This is the kind of leadership that our great nation needs now!

Posted by: Veronica Kull at September 9, 2009 10:58 PM

Wow, a Democrat? Nice to know there is at least one with a conscience.

Posted by: Joanne at September 9, 2009 11:39 PM

Anyone want to guess on which committee Mr. Stupak will be assigned next session?

Posted by: Michael Carl at September 9, 2009 11:40 PM

On a somewhat-related note:

Abortion aside, there is another major concern I have about Obama's handling of this debate. Our enemies are watching this closely. Imagine it.

Those who want every American dead or worshipping Allah are watching this guy flounder and are taking notes. They see a daisy tunnel-visioned on healthcare, going full speed ahead on nuclear arms reductions talks at the UN, and they're probably giddy to have such a sitting duck at the helm. With the exception of the Somali pirates, there's not much propping up my confidence in his leadership.

Nothing. But then that shouldn't surprise anyone here.

Posted by: carder at September 10, 2009 12:01 AM

And did I mention Palin's really, really getting under his skin?

Posted by: carder at September 10, 2009 12:08 AM

Jill,

According to the message released today by Bart Stupak he praises Obama for his speech and says nothing about abortion funding:

It does appear to be his official statement. Unless of course it's aimed at pleasing his constituents rather than voicing his conviction.

Posted by: Vlad at September 10, 2009 12:44 AM

Thank you, Stupak!!

Posted by: carla Author Profile Page at September 10, 2009 6:13 AM

I was stunned that POTUS mentioned abortion last night. So if he is not a liar "You Lie" then that means all current bills are off the table and they will start again. Go Stupak!

Posted by: Maria at September 10, 2009 7:22 AM

I have heard about the Hyde amendment before, BUT that being said, can someone explain why Planned Parenthood, the largest abortion provider in the WORLD receives millions of tax dollars every year? I don't understand something here. I'm being serious, if someone could explain this to me.

Posted by: Sydney M at September 10, 2009 8:00 AM

Sydney: its under the guise of "family planning" funds and its ridiculous because I think TITLE X, where they receive their money, says it can't go to a group that provides abortion.......at least I THINK it does.

They are definitely NOT A NON PROFIT organization. Real Non Profits usually are charities that help people, not indoctrinate our youth into promiscuous lifestyles and destroy future generations.

Go Bart!

Posted by: LizFromNebraska at September 10, 2009 8:35 AM

Oh Michigan, how I long to be reunited with you!

Posted by: Bobby Bambino Author Profile Page at September 10, 2009 9:04 AM

Im not from Michigan nor a Democrat but I do admire, endorse and pray for this man...Congressman Bart Stupak is standing up to the powers from hell if you will pardon my reference - I think the shoe fits. Go Bart !

It's refreshing to think that at these difficult moments we really do have some leadership available, including some good example....God Bless him.

J.

Posted by: John B. at September 10, 2009 10:07 PM

I wish people will remember, democrats the like of Bart Stupak.
There are still conscientious Democrats not deaf
To the voices of the weak and the handicapped.

Please bring the honors back that once belong to Americans. Lover of life, liberty and pursuit of happiness under God.

Look how they are crucifying, roasting your fellow patriot, Congressman Joe Wilson, just by disagreeing.Taking of honors. There are no Honors with an Atheist or a Communist and the likes.

Please don’t back down, you are fighting a Godly cause headed by none other than the
“Commander in Chief” of righteousness.

Posted by: lome at September 10, 2009 11:47 PM

I never could understand why people usually follow up the word "atheist" with something like "communist" or some other such incendiary accusation...

Posted by: xalisae at September 11, 2009 7:52 AM

There is no honor with a non-Believer!

America is a Christian nation still standing
Against Communism.Communism can't succeed while America is strong.Unless we become a socialist Nation first.

How do you do that?
Turn America to Paganism!

Posted by: lome at September 13, 2009 1:07 AM