How to call their bluff that "abortion isn't in healthcare"

dont make me kill you.jpegI've written vaguely before about amendments to healthcare bills presented by pro-lifers - and shot down by pro-aborts - that would codify promises the other side makes, such as "Abortion isn't in healthcare." Oh yeah, then why stop the amendments insuring that?

So I thought you'd be interested in specific amendments to the Baucus healthcare plan that were presented today as the Senate Finance Committee, chaired by Baucus, began considering his healthcare plan....

• Hatch #10 restores funding for abstinence education.
  • Hatch #12 prohibits funding for assisted suicide and offers conscience protection to those who refuse to participate in assisted suicide.
  • Hatch #13 mirrors the Hyde-Weldon conscience protections with regard to abortion.
  • Hatch #14 prohibits funding abortion or plans that cover abortion. Also clarifies that it does not prohibit insurance providers from offering abortion coverage separate from the subsidized plan.
  • abortion is not healthcare 7.jpg

• Enzi #12 strikes Baucus abortion language and adds language prohibiting any federal government entity from requiring abortion coverage.
  • Enzi #13 strikes Baucus abortion language and adds language prohibiting any federal funding for abortion or plans that cover abortion and allows individuals to purchase separate supplemental abortion coverage with non-federal funds.
  • Enzi #14 strikes Baucus abortion language and adds language prevent overturning of state abortion laws.
  • Enzi #15 strikes Baucus abortion language and adds language prohibiting state and local governments, health care providers and health plans that receive federal financial assistance from discriminating against entities on the basis of their refusal to perform and participate in specific surgical or medical procedures or provide certain pharmaceuticals.
  • These senators should be commended for their pro-life efforts.

And now, if you read a pro-abort online saying there is no abortion in healthcare, you can add a comment saying the other side should have no problem, then, approving Hatch #14, Enzi #12, and Enzi #13 in the Baucus healthcare plan. Same goes if they say there is no assisted suicide in healthcare, or that the rights of healthcare entities are protected.

Comments:

I hope these amendments do not pass - only because the entire healthcare bill terrifies me. If these pass then the blue dogs may vote for the bill and I do not want that to happen.

Posted by: Kristen at September 22, 2009 2:18 PM

Well, you must have health care. I am in generally good health, but I got turned down for insurance. I am not a fan of socialized medicine, but what else can I hope for?

Posted by: Carl at September 22, 2009 3:12 PM

"Enzi #13 strikes Baucus abortion language and adds language prohibiting any federal funding for abortion or plans that cover abortion and allows individuals to purchase separate supplemental abortion coverage with non-federal funds."

What woman is going to go to their insurance rep and say, "I'd like to buy extra abortion coverage, please"? I don't think so...

This may be a dumb question, but how does insurance cover abortion now?
    Do women submit the invoice to an insurance co? Does Planned Parenthood submit a bill to the insurance company? I haven't a clue.

Posted by: Janet at September 22, 2009 3:44 PM

"After reading the Kucinich amendment and what that could do to healthcare in Illinois, according to Kucinichs own Facebook page, I am frightened beyond words."

Posted by: Kristen at September 22, 2009 2:18 PM

You're leaving us hanging! Do tell!

Posted by: Marie at September 22, 2009 8:13 PM

"...what else can I hope for?"

Carl, you can hope for legislation that reduces the cost of basic healthcare, by reducing the corruption and greed of our current system, rather than just funnelling taxpayer money into it and ignoring the underlying reasons. Why can I afford a big screen TV and a cell phone, but I can't afford to have a bone set?

Posted by: Mike at September 22, 2009 9:04 PM

Janet - most insurance plans, at least in Illinois, cover elective abortions. The physician or hospital or clinic calls the insurance company before the appointment to pre-approve the patient and then the patient pays any co-pay like any other procedure or office visit. Not saying I agree, but that was my experience doing insurance verification for several hospitals in Chicago.

Posted by: shirley at September 22, 2009 10:07 PM

Shirley,
    Thanks. Abortion sure affects a lot of lives, directly and indirectly. I don't know if I could have handled granting a pre-approval for an abortion. There must be a conscience clause for that. ICK.

Posted by: Janet at September 22, 2009 11:06 PM

Posted by: Marie at September 22, 2009 8:13 PM

I was talking about his single-payer amendment. It basically makes private insurance illegal if single-payer is approved by the state legislature. (According to his Facebook page 13 states already have the start of single payer legislation in the works, and Illinois is one of them.)

I guess that is how the Dems think they will start the single payer system, at the state level, so they can say we are not mandating it but if the state wants it.....

But really Illinois is the perfect state to start the single payer insurance (exactly what Canada has) because we are what? $4 BILLION in debt already and owe the teacher pension fund millions upon millions from when Blago took it years ago. They can just take our tax money and deny us coverage for the most basic care - but cover abortion!

Posted by: Kristen at September 23, 2009 7:37 AM

Kristen,

Thanks for the explanation. You're right. That is scary!

Posted by: Marie at September 23, 2009 7:58 AM