Kanye, Taylor, Beyonce, and Barack

UPDATE, 9:32a: Beyonce is a class act. Epilogue...

_______________

UPDATE, 9:20a: Jim Geraghty at NRO's The Corner on comparing Kanye West to Joe Wilson.

[HT: kathrynlopez via Twitter]
_______________

Wow, Kanye West has been busy. First, at the MTV awards last night he conferred the mother of all disses upon poor Taylor Swift...

I would automatically accuse Kanye of racism, or maybe countrymusicism, or of simply being a Taylorswiftboater, but a careful replay of President Obama's speech before a joint session of Congress last week shows Kanye did the same thing to him, shock!

So now I don' t know what to think, other than Kanye West is an uncouth boor.

Read the Times Online account of the MTV disaster here.

[HT: Twitter friends kathrynlopez and EdMorrissey]

Comments:

Another embarrassment for Chicago. My, oh, my.
Does Kanye have a substance abuse problem?

Posted by: Janet at September 14, 2009 9:22 AM

why did the article turn into something about MJ???? who cares anymore??

Posted by: Rosie at September 14, 2009 9:54 AM

Simple, Mr. Short Attention Span needs attention.

Posted by: Andy at September 14, 2009 10:06 AM

Watching ALL of these entertainer types self-adulate is nauseating.

Posted by: Phil Schembri is HisMan at September 14, 2009 11:19 AM

I love the mortified look on Knowles's face when West went into his little soliloquy. I think any of us would have looked like that.

Posted by: bmmg39 at September 14, 2009 11:29 AM

Have you ever heard "The Boy Who Cried Wolf"?

One of these days, you're going to run into someone who actually IS a racist, and nobody will believe you.

Posted by: xalisae at September 14, 2009 12:45 PM

Oh, and I usually don't care for things like this. I quit watching any and all awards shows when they failed to give Chris Cornell a Grammy for his solo album Euphoria Morning.

But everyone knows Kanye West is a lunatic. "Bush doesn't care about black people." summed it up pretty well for him, when Bush had nothing to do with the absolute failure of Democratic leadership in Louisiana (or did he think Bush somehow CAUSED the hurricane? There's no telling with this guy).

I'm sure at one point in time he was a decent guy, but I think the fact that there was a time many people actually listened to him made him lose his mind-now the wires are all crossed and apparently messing with the circuit between his brain and mouth.

The bottom line is though, this is an unfair comparison between Rep.Wilson and Mr.West, because, you see, THE MTV AWARDS DON'T MATTER. When the highest elected government official is trying to do something that will impact Every. Single. American.-and is lying about it!-he needs to be called out on it, because it could and would hurt a great many people.

Kanye West being a jerk to some little country music girl doesn't affect me going to the doctor, and comparing pop culture to important political goings on is what got us into this mess in the first place. I think a lot of people, when casting their ballot for Obama, thought they were voting for the next American Idol.

It's time for those who follow things that matter to worry about things that matter, and everyone else can go back to watching vapid people pat themselves on the back while not voting (again).

Posted by: xalisae at September 14, 2009 12:57 PM

Joe, perhaps you haven't noticed that Jill occasionally runs off-topic posts, to comment upon them or merely to amuse readers. Mr. Bean afraid to jump off the high-platform into the pool? That didn't have to do with abortion, either.

Posted by: bmmg39 at September 14, 2009 1:04 PM

And I think my last comment answered your last comment. It has no relevance...to anything.

Posted by: xalisae at September 14, 2009 1:05 PM

Joe:

Think about it, your comment is racist because you can't separate skin color from bad behavior. What if a white person did what he did? Would you be asking the same question? No, you'd be agreeing with Jill.

Wasn't it Martin Luther King that differentiated between a person's character and the color of his skin? Think about it. Being black gives no one the right to be disrespectful. That's a crock.

As far as this being related to the pro-life movement, it's all tied together. And as far as race goes, in terms of abortion, blacks are the most persectured group in America. Why aren't you outraged about that? If you really cared about black people you would be pro-life.

The willingness for a big-mouth (white, black, yellow, or green) to go in front of a national TV audience and just blurt out what he thought without consequence is symptomatic of a society whose individuals have lost repsect for each other.

Most of this is the result of the pro-abortion movement in which the least ot these is totally disrespected by murdering them.

Posted by: Phil Schembri is HisMan at September 14, 2009 1:20 PM

Joe, my "racist" comment was sarcastic, although who knows. I did think to myself had a white entertainer jumped on stage to promote another white entertainer over a black entertainer, yes, racism would've been the 1st accusation.

I posted this thinking it an interesting pop culture piece, but it wasn't really unrelated. As HisMan said, this is all related.

Joe Wilson and Tea Partiers are called uncivil, but egad, this was awful, as was President Bush's shoe-thrower. Scott Roeder was indicative of the entire pro-life movement but Harlan Drake shot a controversial man, and anyway the shooting may or may not have been related to the signs Joe Pouillon showed.

Such a ridiculous double standard. Oh, Kanye was just being drunken Kanye, just like Joe Biden is just being Joe. But a wild turkey in the conservative/pro-life movement is an example of all.

Posted by: Jill Stanek at September 14, 2009 1:30 PM

absolutely.

KW should be banned at ALL awards - he is persona non grata besides being a big fat stupid jerk

Whoo hoo for Taylor Swift! I love her music.

Posted by: angel at September 14, 2009 2:16 PM

KW has no class. To steal a title from Toby Kieth, KW is "white trash with money." Doesn't matter how money he has in the bank. You can not buy style and grace. Beyonce showed that in spades when she asked Ms. Swift to share her moment in the spot light. BTW, Beyonce, like PBHO is mixed. She is a melting pot American.
So are my children. When asked what they are, they list off all the heritages that make them who they are. Irish, German,French and Puerto Rican.
KW hates Will Smith too because Will has style and grace and refuses to demean himself and his heritage for profit.

Posted by: fishydude at September 14, 2009 2:33 PM

Both of Taylor Swift's dresses were freaking adorable. I didn't watch the awards; I do my best to stay as far away as possible -- but those were super cute.

It's a shame that Kanye's the music industry's leading buttmunch, because his music is actually not bad as far as mainstream rap/hip-hop goes. Of course that says as much about the low bar of mainstream music as it does about him. But still.

Angel, I actually agree with you that since he has demonstrated that he cannot follow basic protocol like staying off the stage, he shouldn't be invited to other awards shows. Obviously that will not happen, but I wouldn't mind seeing other artists ostracize him a little, apply a bit of industry pressure to make a real apology (not that bull he came out with). Anyone 'normal' who did that would be kicked out immediately. I get that celebrities are not normal people, and celebrities have leeway at celebrity events, but I would have loved to see some kind of official acknowledgment of and reaction to the inappropriateness of his actions.

The really stupid thing about this is that he tainted the eventual revelation that Beyonce won Video of the Year. I hope he felt like an idiot when that was revealed, but he probably just felt vindicated.

Posted by: Alexandra at September 14, 2009 3:07 PM

As I said before, Kanye is a huge douchebag and I agree should never be allowed back at the VMAs (at least) for that kind of behavior. The world doesn't revolve around YOU and YOUR OPINIONS, Kanye.

For more on why Kanye is a douche, I submit this article (put some spaces in there to avoid being stuck in limbo):

http:// www. mamapop. com/mamapop/2008/11/the-top-ten-rea.html

Posted by: prettyinpink at September 14, 2009 3:52 PM

I don't listen to pop music, but my respect for Beyonce just shot up- a lot. She really is a very classy woman. :)

Posted by: Vannah at September 14, 2009 4:07 PM

Seems like a crazy night at the VMA's. I bet Beyonce's mom was so proud of her.

Posted by: Robyn at September 14, 2009 5:25 PM

Besides being a woman of incredible beauty Beyonce is also a woman of incredible class.
What a stark contrast to that spoiled brat Kanye.

Posted by: Mary at September 14, 2009 6:19 PM

I DON'T THINK KAYNE IS SORRY FOR WHAT HE DID.HE STILL SAYS BEYONCE IS THE BEST.HE'S SUCH A LOW LIFE.

Posted by: Giel at September 14, 2009 7:33 PM

Darnit! I'm too late. I heard about this & wanted to see the clip. Too bad they took it down! BUMMER!

Posted by: Marie at September 14, 2009 10:20 PM

Don't they have security?

Security is supposed to keep the event orderly. Right?

I guess we're not in Kansas anymore, culturally speaking.

Posted by: hippie at September 15, 2009 3:10 AM

Marie, found other clips. You'll have to take the MTV commerical break with the Kanye-Taylor exchange... :)

Posted by: Jill Stanek Author Profile Page at September 15, 2009 10:09 AM

Phil: "Why did you see a black person? I saw a jerk in action. I didn't see anyone dissing Beyonce. Is she not black?"

Race has nothing to do with this; neither does gender. I saw a few people write that what West did was especially bad because he "did it to" a young woman. That's nonsense. If Swift had been the one to make a fool of herself by interrupting a MAN's acceptance speech, I'd criticize her just the same.

Posted by: bmmg39 at September 15, 2009 11:18 AM

Thank you Jill!!!

I felt soooooooooo bad for Taylor, standing there not knowing WHAT to say. It was nice to hear the crowd chanting her name.

Oh, and the re-mix: HYSTERICAL!

Thanks again for finding/posting those clips Jill!

Posted by: Marie at September 15, 2009 6:11 PM

Sure, Marie!

Posted by: Jill Stanek Author Profile Page at September 16, 2009 8:53 AM

I respect the fact that Kanye publicly and privately apologized for his behavior and Taylor was gracious to accept the apology.

Posted by: chris at September 16, 2009 8:04 PM