Actor Scott Baio: Pro-life

Was perusing Twitter last night and spotted this (click to enlarge)...

Scott Baio, abortion, pro-life 1.jpg

My first thought was cooksandbooks is an idiot. Cookie is lucky to be alive and doesn't get that she is merely a survivor of prenatal Russian roulette.

Then I backed up and noticed she was responding to RealScottBaio, and I thought... the real Scott Baio? Chachi?

Sure enough, I verified Baio's Twitter account, and here's what he tweeted that made cooks boil over...

Scott Baio, pro-life, abortion, pro-choice.jpg

Scott Baio family photo, pro-life, abortion.jpgIt turns out Baio is a hardcore conservative.

The interesting thing is I prepared this post last night, and this morning that tweet is gone. For whatever reason Baio - or his agent - apparently decided it best to remain underground with his pro-life convictions.

That's really too bad. Because when checking into Baio a little bit I found he and wife Renee founded The Bailey Baio Angel Foundation following a (thankfully) mistaken adverse newborn diagnosis of their daughter Bailey, now almost 22 months old.

The organization is "for special needs children and to raise awareness to expanded newborn screening," according to Baio's Twitter page.

Comments:

"So Baio's pro-life heart is in the right place. He's just not ready to wear it on his sleeve."

Which is just fine. Actions will ALWAYS speak louder than words. (especially these days)

Posted by: Marie at October 29, 2009 8:01 AM

It is so much easier being pro choice when you are not the one being killed.

(saw that bumper sticker yesterday)

Posted by: carla Author Profile Page at October 29, 2009 8:28 AM

I suspect there are more in Hollywood that are pro-life but afraid to speak up.

Posted by: Sydney M at October 29, 2009 8:57 AM

Way to go Chachi !!!

Posted by: The American Guardian at October 29, 2009 9:23 AM

Aww, what a sweet baby!

Posted by: Vannah at October 29, 2009 9:36 AM

Have that one on my 12 year old Toyota but probably
won't sport it on my newer vehicle, Carla!

Posted by: Leslie Hanks at October 29, 2009 10:20 AM

Not all mothers would be considered pro-life as approximately 60% of women who have abortions in the US are already mothers at the time that they have an abortion. - http://www.guttmacher.org/in-the-know/characteristics.html

Posted by: Kim at October 29, 2009 11:23 AM

Leslie,

I always enjoy reading others thoughts and beliefs on their cars. Although sometimes I wish those that have Obama 08 and are suffering from voter's remorse would pull over and apologize. :)

Posted by: carla Author Profile Page at October 29, 2009 11:30 AM

LOL about the bumper stickers. I have a LOT of pro-life bumper stickers that I'd like to put on my vehicle, but I have debated with myself whether I want to do that and run the risk of finding my tires slashed and my paint ruined (keyed) one day because of it. It wouldn't matter if I had loads of $ laying around to call for a tow and pay for new tires and a new paint job, but I just don't have the cash. Surely people wouldn't be THAT uptight (to do that just because they disagreed with my opinions)... then again... ? There are always a few bad apples in every barrel and we live in a large city so there's always that chance.

Perhaps I'll start small... one or two of the "less inflammatory" ones, perhaps? ;-)

Posted by: army_wife at October 29, 2009 1:15 PM

Go for it armywife!
My daughter keyed our whole van so I am not too worried about that. I like Abortion stops a beating heart. I have heard that one has saved many lives.

Posted by: carla Author Profile Page at October 29, 2009 1:21 PM

As for Chachi...I had no idea. Sweet.

Posted by: carder at October 29, 2009 2:07 PM

I really like the "Love Lets Live" bumper sticker on my Escape, right above the back windshield wiper. It isn't tacky or over the top, (not that the more blunt ones are- I like them, but I know they aren't for everyone) and it really gets the message across. You can get all sorts of great bumper stickers and other wonderful pro-life paraphernalia such as pens and clothing at Abort73.com. That's where my bumper sticker is from. I ordered shirts and pens as well as little business cards with pro-life messages on them (and the abort73 website address). I leave the cards EVERYWHERE- on restaurant tables with the tip, on gas pumps, on store shelves, public restroom counters- you name it, I've tried it. If even ONE card changes someone's mind, it's worth it.

Posted by: Becca at October 29, 2009 3:49 PM

I've had too many unpleasant confrontations to display my beliefs on my car or t-shirt. I'm always down for a civil discussion, but the other parties were never interested and chose to name call and make a loud scene.

Posted by: Janette at October 29, 2009 4:02 PM

Janette,
I thought prolifers were the more aggressive bunch!! Hmmm.

Posted by: carla Author Profile Page at October 29, 2009 4:57 PM

army_wife: they do have magnets you can attach to your rear bumper and then remove it when parking, so that the only people who read it are those who are in transit.

carder: "After the incident during lst year's election when my front door neighbor heckled my husband for sporting a McCain/Ppalin campaign sign, I've decided against announcing my political beliefs on my van bumper."

I think it's high time, with everything going on, that you begin heckling your front-door neighbor.

Posted by: bmmg39 at October 29, 2009 7:18 PM

Great idea Becca, about the pens. I'll have to get some. I like the feminists for life sticker "Peace begins in the womb." How can anyone argue with that?

The problem is that there are so many who have been wounded by abortion that they can't talk rationally about the issue.

I attended a conference on grief.
The audience was mostly women, medical professionals. During the various presentations all were engrossed in the speaker, but when the speaker on miscarriage and infant death was speaking, all through the audience there was shuffling, chatter, two women got up and walked out. When the next speaker got up to speak, all were in rapt attention, again. I think those were post abortive women, who don't even realize how deeply they are wounded.

So many have secretly, deeply, realized their error, but don't know what to do with the horror that they killed their own child, so they have to defend abortion and cannot discuss it rationally.

Posted by: waterbabies at October 29, 2009 7:58 PM

That is why abortion recovery is so vital to meet the needs of those struggling after their abortions.

If you would like to be given information on abortion recovery in your area please call the National Helpline for Abortion Recovery
1-886-482-LIFE

Posted by: carla Author Profile Page at October 29, 2009 8:11 PM

I see a car at my local Wal-Mart frequently that has the bumper sticker "Abortion: One Heart Stops, The Other Breaks"

I like it. I wish I could find whoever's car that is...I'm thinking it must be an employee since I've seen it so many times.

Posted by: Lauren at October 29, 2009 8:41 PM

Becca, abort73.com ROCKS! I LOVE their "medical testimony" video. I've actually considered getting a custom window decal made for my vehicle of their "Slogans Prove Nothing" shirt design, but I don't know how much that would run. I guess if it were small perhaps not much.

There are some magnets you can attach your bumper stickers to in order to make them removable/replaceable. I believe I saw them at christianshirts.net or something like that. It was the same place I got all my bumper stickers from. :-) They offer bulk discounts by the way. I may end up getting some of the bumper-sticker-magnets when we have enough budget room.

Posted by: army_wife at October 29, 2009 8:56 PM

way to go Chachie!

Posted by: Jasper at October 29, 2009 11:07 PM

Good job!

Posted by: OBAMANATION at NOTRE DAME at October 30, 2009 1:11 AM

Waterbabies,

Yeah the pens are great! I've gotten many conversations started by simply letting someone borrow or keep the pen. I like to leave them at check-out counters, where they will be handled a lot.

Army_wife,

With evidence and testimonials such as those at abort73.com, it simply amazes me abortion is still legal.

Posted by: Becca at October 30, 2009 8:30 AM

Army wife--be careful with bumper stickers. I had a pro-life one on my old car and an angry kid almost ran me off the road with my newborn son in the car, giving me the finger and screaming out his window about choice. So I know it wasn't just random road rage. It was specifically about my pro-life sticker. It scared me because my baby was in the car.

I had a sticker that said "Abortion is forever."

Posted by: Sydney M at October 30, 2009 8:40 AM

I have three pro-life (magnetic and static) stickers on my car. One says "A person is a person no matter how small" with an image of an unborn child...the second says "Life is precious" (and has a cute little baby sitting next to a snoopy toy)...
the third says "Motherhood is a proud profession".

Posted by: bethany Author Profile Page at October 30, 2009 9:31 AM

I think the pro-life magnets are probably more helpful than the anti-abortion ones. I have a magnet on my car with a women's center's 1-800 phone number on it. It says, "Pregnant? Need help?" (Someone stole it off of my car once, but at least I wasn't keyed.)

Posted by: Janet at October 30, 2009 2:26 PM

Jill is just promoting stereotypes!

Pro life guys with ridiculously Hot wives!

You go Jill!

Posted by: hippie at October 30, 2009 3:01 PM

Sydney M,
Good heavens. I'm glad everything turned out and you and your baby were OK. There's no excuse for that kind of garbage. I see plenty of vehicle decorations/bumper stickers I find offensive but of course that's no reason for me to act like a maniac, flip people off, etc. etc.

Bethany,
One of my bumper stickers is the one that says "a person is a person, no matter how small". :-) I have a bit of a collection of them waiting for me to pick which ones to use first.

Posted by: army_wife at October 30, 2009 3:34 PM

I had that one up later too...the sticker that says "motherhood is a proud profession" and I was loading my son into the car outside a supermarket and this older lady walked by, looked at my bumper sticker and rolled her eyes as she sneered loudly "give me a break!"

Could have been Nancy Pelosi..I'm not sure. Same bitter face.

Posted by: Sydney M at October 30, 2009 4:44 PM

Good grief, Sydney...where do you live? What awful experiences you've had to deal with!

I live in Alabama and I usually see pro-life stickers and license plates several times a day when I'm driving around town. So I don't think people see it as that unusual...but I still try to avoid the more "in your face" abortion stickers- I like to keep it more positive.

Posted by: bethany Author Profile Page at October 30, 2009 4:49 PM

army_wife, that is my favorite bumper sticker! I just love it.

Posted by: bethany Author Profile Page at October 30, 2009 4:52 PM

Bethany--I live near Philly, "city of brotherly shove" my parents used to say. I went to college in the south so I know how much nicer people seem to be down there. the Northeast has a lot of nasty, bitter people..and tons of liberals unfortunately.

You can see why my husband said no bumper stickers on the new car! He's afraid someones going to really get violent with me.

Posted by: Sydney M. at October 30, 2009 9:10 PM

The funny thing is my son wears those "former embryo" t-shirts and "abortion is mean" shirts and I always get a lot of positive comments from people when we're out in stores. My son is 3 and very friendly. He seems to warm everyone's heart when we're out and about the town.

I guess you can't deny the truth of that powerful message when an adorable little cherub of a boy is the messenger.

Posted by: Sydney M. at October 30, 2009 9:14 PM

I just wanted to share that at the PASS Support Boards I've seen a lot of grieving post-abortion women further hurt and triggered (pouring salt into her wounds) by some of the more in your face pro-life bumper stickers, so please keep in mind that while you may have changed one political conviction, with the more blunt ones, you may have further hurt and pushed away a dozen grieving post-abortion mothers in the process.

Posted by: Rachael C. at October 31, 2009 12:46 PM

I just wanted to share that at the PASS Support Boards I've seen a lot of grieving post-abortion women further hurt and triggered (pouring salt into her wounds) by some of the more in your face pro-life bumper stickers, so please keep in mind that while you may have changed one political conviction, with the more blunt ones, you may have further hurt and pushed away a dozen or more grieving post-abortion mothers in the process.

Posted by: Rachael C. at October 31, 2009 12:46 PM

Rachael C.,

Which stickers are you speaking of?

What do you mean by "political conviction"?

Thanks,

Posted by: Marie at October 31, 2009 1:22 PM

On my first car, I had a few of the less confrontational pro-life static cling stickers in my back window: "We Love Them Both, Choose Life!" A picture of a woman saying "I Regret My Abortion & If you Do Too, Call [Silent No More Awareness 1-800 number]" as well as "Women Do Regret Abortion [with the Silent No More butterfly], in addition to static clings for my high school & college in the middle.

Posted by: Rachael C. at October 31, 2009 1:43 PM

"so please keep in mind that while you may have changed one political conviction, with the more blunt ones, you may have further hurt and pushed away a dozen or more grieving post-abortion mothers in the process."

Posted by: Rachael C. at October 31, 2009 12:46 PM

One more question, Rachael:

How do you know it's not a dozen or more "political convictions" changed, and one further hurt grieving post-abortion woman?

Isn't the point of these stickers to change a woman's mind BEFORE she kills her child?

Don't get me wrong, I don't want to hurt anyone. But if the child is ALWAYS the one hurt, and the woman aborting the child can be hurt, shouldn't one be more concerned about before the fact rather than after?

maybe if you can show me what stickers you are talking about i can understand. I've just never seen a "more in your face" sticker. I probably live under a mushroom, though.

thanks again!

Posted by: Marie at October 31, 2009 1:43 PM

I saw several bold prolife tweets from Scott Baio and then a tweet that said proabort trolls were hassling his mother online, that is probably why he backed off. Leave it to the proaborts to attack someone's mother/grandmother, eh?

Posted by: JillGuidry at November 2, 2009 10:06 AM

Marie,
Which stickers are you speaking of?

Most of the time, I hear that these sayings and crass slogans triggered her and caused further pain (pouring salt into her wounds) and adding insult to injury (Carla will know what I mean).
They seem insensitive, cruel, and shaming to these hurting post-abortive woman. The stickers which were specifically mentioned included:

"smile your mom choose life"
But she didn't for her child and it only compounds the pain

"abortion is the worst kind of child abuse"
She feels like she is being accused of abusing her unborn child or that she must be a horrible woman or mother for doing that to her child. And some don't understand why we would say such a hurtful thing when they love children and wouldn't intentionally hurt a child [not understanding we're referring to their unborn child].

"Abortion kills babies and hurts women"
Sometimes the "abortion kills babies" or "abortion is murder" can be too over-top, especially if the abortion was recent or the pain is still raw

"Choose life your mother did"
"Smile, you could have been aborted"
But it's too late for her and as if she doesn't already feel bad enough?

"LIFE-Is a gift, not a choice"
"your baby doesnt have a choice, but you do"
"As a former Fetus, I'm against abortion."
These give the impression that we are callouses or indifferent to their pain or that we don't care about their situations or that they hurt. This especially hurts when a woman was coerced into an abortion or in a situation such as domestic violence, where she felt she had no choice. Also she may feel that it invalidates her reasons for having an abortion and confronts and challenges her beliefs and rational justifying her abortion (and for many women this can be one of the hardest steps in healing)

"Abortion stops a beating heart"
She knows it does, now, too late, and this only compounds the pain, knowing she took the life of her baby.

"Abortion, what part of *one of the ten commandments don't you understand?"

She may see this as being judgemental or hypocritical, and may trigger a defensive or even agressive response.

What do you mean by "political conviction"?

I said what I mean, please don't play semantics games with me.

Because there are the voices of hundreds of women on that board, who's voices say differently!

I understand what you're saying about preventing abortions. But what about the women for whom it's too late? What about the millions of women who've had an abortion since Roe v. Wade in 1973, do they not deserve our compassion and offer for healing? How are these stickers going to benefit these women or help bring them to healing?

Posted by: Rachael C. at November 3, 2009 12:41 AM