Drudge spotlights abortion addict story

drudge abortion addict.jpg

I previously wrote about Irene Vilar, who has written the book, Impossible Motherhood: Testimony of an abortion addict. In it she tells the story of her 16 abortions in 15 years.

Well, this morning Drudge if featuring an October 14 Daily Mail piece on Vilar. (Click graphic to enlarge.)

(I'm not sure who's right - whether Vilar had 15 abortions in 16 or 17 years. What a repulsive point to query.)

The more publicity Vilar receives the better. Why? As DM wrote:

However, pro-choice campaigners said Mrs Vilar's book raises uncomfortable questions about abortion as a form of birth control.

The fact is, over 90% of abortions are for convenience, i.e., "a form of birth control."

Comments:

I know I am going to get flak for this, but I read the book. I came to several conclusions. One is that the book is unbelievably DULL...Ms. Vilar tries too hard to sound deep and poetic. Second, Ms. Vilar was quite the tart apparently...she writes of just hopping into bed with boy after boy as a 15 year old. dandy! Third, her husband was a self-absorbed jerk and Ms. Vilar? An idiot, apparently...

I really doubt the story is truthful. There is not much detail in the book and I think the whole thing might be contrived for sensationalism. If it is true then 15 babies died excruciatingly horrible deaths for the sake of two very narcissistic people.

Posted by: Sydney M at October 14, 2009 8:48 AM

I don't believe this story for a minute.

I hope you took the book out of the library and didn't buy it.

Posted by: Phillymiss at October 14, 2009 10:29 AM

Agree the truthfulness of her story is in question here, for the following reasons:
- how come she can still conceive after that many abortions?
- wouldn't her medical records make any sane doctor refuse her, or at least refer her for some kind of counselling help?
- as some astute reader in the Daily Mail pointed out, how is she rebelling against her husband (who didn't want children) by NOT giving him children?

True or not, this woman obviously needs psychiatric help!

Posted by: pr at October 14, 2009 10:44 AM

Is there any kind of medical documentation for this claim? Does Vilar present any proof? Its like the Hollywood celebs who claimed they "self aborted" with coathangers as teenagers but miraculously survived any complications or death.
If I've learmed anything in my lifetime its that people can and will say ANYTHING, especially when they don't have to back it up.

Also why should PC campaigners be uncomfortable with this? Why would 1 or 2 abortions be more acceptable than 15? Are 1 or 2 rapes more acceptable than 15?

PC folks, what exactly did you expect to happen?

Oh yes, abortion was only supposed to be a last resort, not birth control. I remember reading years ago how some of you felt "betrayed" by women who have more than one abortion.

That's as absurd as campaigning to legalize car theft, then crying about the fact that people are stealing more than one car.

When the gods want to punish (wo)man, they answer their prayers, soooo be very careful what you wish for!

Posted by: Mary at October 14, 2009 10:48 AM

Posted by: Mary at October 14, 2009 10:48 AM

With so many celebs making this claim - yet not having any complications - it is strange to me they have a problem with back alley abortions at all. I mean if it worked for them....

Posted by: Kristen Olejnik at October 14, 2009 10:59 AM

It's because they haven't actually had any abortions, but having abortions is cool in Hollywood. They want to be accepted. Personally, I'd be proud to be looked down on by any of those ignorant creeps.

Also...if true...she rebelled against her husband by getting pregnant. She then lost her nerve and worried more about losing him than the lives of her children. Doesn't sound like a very "empowered" woman to me...

Posted by: xalisae at October 14, 2009 4:11 PM

xalisae,

A great point. If she was so empowered why did she put up with this guy??

You may be too young to remember, but years ago there was a famous case of a young woman who attempted to self abort with a knitting needle at 6 months. The baby died in utero and the girl almost died when she developed a deadly infection.
She was put on trial for whatever statute violation I don't recall.
Of course the feminists made her their heroine, though I could never under their rationale. The girl in fact wanted the baby but did this in desperation to keep a guy who only dumped her anyway. I would have thought feminists and their media toadies would haved considered this whole situation a colossol embarassment. Just how far had feminism brought women when there were women attempting to abort babies they want, and nearly killing themselves in the process, in a desperate attempt to hang on to some guy??

Posted by: Mary at October 14, 2009 5:23 PM

People get addicted to all kinds of surgeries, and to all kinds of medical procedures. There's a name for this: "Munchausen Syndrome". The psychiatrists' slang for surgery-addicts is "scalpel slaves".

They are generally addicted to the experience of being cared for 24 hrs/day by solicitous professionals. Some are also into self-mutiliation, and some just invent illnesses in order to get a break from stressful lives--hospitalization as vacation.

Posted by: TheOneWhoKnows at October 17, 2009 5:37 PM