My computer has been hacked

My computer has been hacked and my facebook account compromised. Don't answer any emails from me open any emails from me wanting you to view a video. Don't open any videos it looks like I sent you.

INCREDIBLY, McAfee's server is down! They can't help me right now. "Call back in 2 hours." I cannot believe it.

Comments:

I had anticipated this post was forthcoming... I THOUGHT that Facebook link looked suspicious. Good luck dealing with it promptly, Jill. I'm sure this is an unwanted headache, especially with the imminent healthcare issues.

Posted by: Alex at October 29, 2009 9:43 AM

Sorry to hear this happened to you! I got infected using McAfee a few years ago, which is why I will never use it again.

Norton may be able help you but it's not a free service. Here's the number if you want to call, check their fees, and see if they can get you fixed up via a secure internet connection. (877) 788-4877

Good Luck!

Posted by: Fed Up at October 29, 2009 10:33 AM

Also don't open any e-mails that say "Jill Stanek sent you a message on Facebook..." I received this as well. I traced it to the facebookmail.com server masked as Facebook. On another note, surprisingly, my entire Facebook page is gone today and no one can search me and I no longer appear as anyone's friend.

Posted by: Adam Jezek at October 29, 2009 10:34 AM

Jill,

I'm happy to help you get your system secured again (free of charge - the least I can do for all the wonderful work you've done for the pro-life and conservative movements).

I have a few suggestions (all relating to free software solutions) - just shoot me a quick email and we can go from there - jamesrileyjr (at) gmail (dot) com.

(respond to this comment if you can't send me an email for whatever reason and we'll work out a way to talk).

--James

Posted by: James at October 29, 2009 10:46 AM

James, that is really nice of you.

Posted by: bethany Author Profile Page at October 29, 2009 10:52 AM

I'm so sorry, Jill.

Posted by: carla Author Profile Page at October 29, 2009 11:21 AM

I opened it. Got infected. My McAfee saved my computer. One tip I learned is to Shut Down The Computer Promptly when something starts to go haywire.I mean Push the buttons on the Computer Monitor & The Box Off By Hand. When you restart your anti-virus protection will have taken care of it. Don't Worry Jill, The Devil Can't Win!

Posted by: markie at October 29, 2009 11:31 AM

I got a message from you from FB. I didnt open it because I figured you didnt send it and another friend had that issue awhile ago.

Boy I LOVE my Mac!

Posted by: Kristen at October 29, 2009 12:12 PM

Good to see you're back up!

Posted by: Janet at October 29, 2009 12:42 PM

Hey James, thanks for the kind offer, but I wasn't online to read it! $90 and 1 hour later, the viruses are gone, but they were bad. The tech found more twice after he thought he'd gotten rid of everything.

Posted by: Jill Stanek Author Profile Page at October 29, 2009 12:44 PM

Sorry to hear that, Jill - but the offer still stands if you need help in the future, and it's great to hear that you were able to get back up and running!

Posted by: James at October 29, 2009 1:46 PM

I didn't check my email until about 7pm, & by then, Facebook had blocked the "video link" as having been reported abusive. MacAfee seemed to have repaired the problem, because I cannot detect any virus with a scan. I did not notice any problems with my FB. Please keep us updated!

Posted by: MEL at October 29, 2009 6:33 PM

Hey, J:
Sounds like Pelosi's hacks might be sticking it to ya. And that, ladies & gents, is not a joke.

Posted by: Angela at October 29, 2009 9:43 PM

I was 1 of those who got a hacked message that claimed to be from you via Facebook. I knew right away it wasn't from you so didn't open. Hope you got everything cleared up.

Posted by: Al at October 30, 2009 7:10 AM