New Stanek poll: Do you think Obama should send more troops to Afghanistan?

poll%20graphic%20correct%20size.bmpI have a new poll question up (lower right side of home page):

The Life issue gets blurred when it comes to war. Do you think President Obama should send more troops to Afghanistan?

Re: my last poll, over 2/3 disagreed that John McCain would have been worse than Barack Obama as president. On its surface, I totally agree. But I think I worded the question poorly. I got it from O'Reilly, so I took it to mean as reader Michelle wrote me...

Glenn Beck never said McCain would have been a worse president. He said he would have been worse for the country.

If you watch his interview with Katie Couric in its entirety, you'll see that he said (and I agree) that we would largely have remained asleep with McCain at the helm. Obama's extremism has been a much-needed wake-up call to Americans, like a splash of cold water in our faces, whereas McCain would have just been more of the same.

I'm sure your intention was not to be misleading with the poll question. But there is a lot of confusion out there as to what was actually said and the context. Hope this helps!

It does. Thanks, Michelle. Sorry, readers, for any confusion. Here were the results...

poll 10-25 slide 1.jpg

Here were your votes. Lots of International votes this go around. Click to enlarge to find your own brightly colored flag...

poll 10-15 slide 2.jpg

poll 10-25 slide 3.jpg

As always, make comments to either this or last week's poll here, not on the Vizu website.

Comments:

As a person with a family member in the Marines, I follow both the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan very closely. I have also belonged to a military support group for the last six year. Having read blogs and web sites where soldiers post, I can tell you that they feel they have been abandoned in Afghanistan. They badly want backup troops sent and morale is lower by the day.
Another point to remember - even of Obama approves more troops to be sent today, it takes months to actually get them there. Obama approved an additional 17,000 troops for Afghanistan back in February and they have still not arrived, those it is not understood why it is taking so incredibly long.

Posted by: Marge at October 25, 2009 1:40 PM

I have a 1st cousin once removed in the Air Force and I don't want him to have to go to Afghanistan. I think I had heard that he would have to go there. He might even be there already.

But I thank GOD that my childhood best friend's husband who is in the Air Force has not been sent to Iraq or Afghanistan yet. They have 7 month old twins and are moving to Hawaii next month. He has been very lucky so far to still be here in the states.

Posted by: LizFromNebraska at October 25, 2009 2:06 PM

Afghanistan is a lost cause. The U.S. needs to get out. The war is unwinnable. The U.S. could not fix Afghanistan in 100 years.
Afghanistan is not a country. It is backwater of hundreds of tribes who live in a Muslim culture.

The Afghan war is nothing else but a progressive liberal fantasy of social engineering with a foreign culture.

Afghanistan is where empires go to die. Ghengis Khan could not conquer Afghanistan, the Russians failed there, now the United States will be the victims of a land that always defeats the foreigners.

Posted by: Rafael at October 25, 2009 2:34 PM

There's nothing wrong with Muslims. Afghanistan is not troubled because of Muslims it's troubled because of instability and fascism and extremism.

I don't know enough about the war to say yes or no. Though initially I say no because I hate war. But, like I said, I don't know what's happening over there. I just hope that peace comes soon. :(

Posted by: Vannah at October 25, 2009 3:40 PM

I don't like war either but you have to remember that this is a matter of our protection and national security. I'm sure Afghanistan will never be a democracy but if we leave it will just be taken over by extremist who will continue to run it as a terrorist training ground for those wanting to wipe out the United States. You have to look at that whole part of it and then decide if we will be safe if we leave that country to fall into their hands.
I really feel that if we leave, we will eventually end up back there and will suffer many more lives lost when we go up against a much stronger enemy that has time to grow.

Posted by: Marge at October 25, 2009 4:20 PM

I don't want war any place on the earth but I don't want us to suffer later by turning our backs on this situation and having to deal with something much worse. I don't know what the answer is but I pray God will help us to do the right thing. I don't believe Obama has the guts to deal with any of this and the scary part is if he doesn't have the guts to make a firm timely decision the terrorist don't have any problem making up their minds that they want to kill us or to at least humiliate our country. The North Koreans, Iranians, Russians and Chinese are counting on him blinking first, they have no problem staring back and daring him to do something because they don't believe he has the guts to stand up to them. Instead of waiting for a political poll to tell him what to do, he needs Godly wisdom and Godly counsel around him. Unfortunately when someone has surrounded himself with people like Rahm "Dead Fish, filthy mouth" Emanuel, Jeremiah Wright (preaching Black Liberation Theology), Bill Ayers and other radical lefist the odds aren't in America's favor for a good outcome, but God is able to perform miracles. "If my people who are called by my name will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways then will I hear from heaven and forgive their sins and will heal their land." 2 Chronicles 7:14.

I am praying for our troops all over the world to come home safely ASAP but for the right reasons and under the right conditions not just to fit into Obama's political agenda.

Posted by: Prolifer L at October 25, 2009 9:46 PM

PLL 9:46PM

You are so right. The world's tyrants and madmen respect only one thing, and that is a willingness to stand up to them, with force if necessary.
Sorry but that's the way of the world.
When we hear of Obama's good intentions and efforts to appease, we should think first and foremost of Neville Chamberlain. He had the most noble intentions as well and we got World War 2 to show for it.

These tyrants are a lot of things but stupid isn't one of them. They know weakness, inexperience, incompetence, and indecisiveness when they see it. Does anyone think Obama is any match for Vladimir Putin? Did Obama really think kissing the backsides of the Castro brothers would release political prisoners? Sadly that seems to be the case. Small wonder these madmen are giving Obama "the finger".

Concerning Afghanistan, our fearless leader has more pressing concerns than actually acting like our Commander in Chief, like flying to Copenhagen to get the Olympics for his Chicago thug cronies(and making a fool of himself in the process), playing basketball with his Cabinet, waging war on Fox News, and declaring a national swine flu "emergency".
Doesn't this make us all sleep better at night?

Posted by: Mary at October 26, 2009 9:16 AM

Sorry, I am against all these wars. Sending our troops to die at enormous cost for what benefit?

I love and admire the fine men doing the job, but the creepy politicians who sent them are dogs.

Remember Dresden and Hiroshima?

If you have to fight, best to make sure only the enemy dies. Use drones, bombs, whatever, but not the lives of our countrymen.

Posted by: hippie at October 26, 2009 10:12 AM

Hi Hippie,

Wherever we may stand on these wars, we need a president who acts like a Commander in Chief and is prepared to make tough decisions and make them fast. Sadly that is not the case and our men and women in uniform pay the price.

Posted by: Mary at October 26, 2009 10:19 AM

I am not sure whether more troops should be sent to Afganastan or not. I want to do what will end the violence the quickest.

We have a perpetual war with no end in sight. Perpetual war is a recipe for bankrupcy and dictatorship. I believe these wars have nothing to do with keeping America safe but are about occupying and controlling the resources of Central Asia.

Obama is not the problem, he is a puppet.

Posted by: Faustina at October 26, 2009 10:41 AM

Faustina,

Again, whatever one thinks of the wars, our troops deserve better than a so called commander in chief who can't make a decision, but can find the time for basketball, WH concerts, and to go after a news outlet. That definitely makes Obama the problem.

Posted by: Mary at October 26, 2009 10:51 AM

To the person with friends/family in the Air Force who doesn't want them to be deployed - I understand your feelings completely. However, when you raise your right hand and join the military, swearing to protect this country, you are knowingly accepting the strong possibility of not only being deployed, but the (thankfully much smaller) chance you might have to give the ultimate sacrifice in order to do so. Joining the military is not some slacker occupation where you get in "just for the college money" and the steady paycheck and then just try to "play the game" of trying to avoid doing your duty. Most folks who join the military do so with an attitude of total acceptance of the idea of actually doing their jobs and because they WANT to do the right thing - protect the country. Do I like deployments? No, of course not, but they're necessary - and something we accepted knowingly when my husband continued to re-enlist. Somebody has got to stand up and have the intestinal fortitude to do this job. Soldiering is not for everyone - but those who do not want to do the hard work of maintaining freedom should not enlist. I am thankful that we do have an all-volunteer military. Most military servicemembers are here because they WANT to be here and to do this job. Our sacrifice is for every citizen in this country to be able to enjoy freedom that other countries are not priviledged to have. Servicemembers generally aren't violent people who "like war". They are just the ones who are willing to physically defend our country when necessary.

Regarding Afghanistan - I believe that if we have a sufficient troop presence there, that alone will be a deterrent to terrorist violence. Apparently right now we do not have enough military personnel there. I agree with those who believe that the current administration's love affair with appeasement is really just weakness wrapped up in a politically-correct facade. If the enemy believes we are weak, they will be emboldened and energized. Obviously, this is NOT going to help the violence level in that country!

These wars have nothing to do with "controlling resources". In case you haven't noticed, we're pouring resources INTO the region at a far higher rate than any we get out of them - we aren't "controlling" resources or obtaining them via dishonest means. This is about powerful terrorist organizations that HATE AMERICA and live for the day when they can destroy us (and Israel). Uh, that's a national security issue!

My husband has been to the Middle East several times and spent a LOT of time there. He knows something about what is going on there. Most of the rank-and-file are glad we came, contrary to what the mainstream media and popular political opinion claims.

I resent any attempt to manipulate military operations or pull forces out of a particular region where they are needed simply for political gain. Sometimes we have to do the right thing, even when it hurts. The world we live in sometimes requires that we use force to defend ourselves. It would be nice if it were not necessary, but that's reality in this world. If we turned into spineless jellyfish who would never fight back for our own rights and freedoms, guess what? We'd be taken over by a dictator or some other hostile government faster than you could blink.

A last note - the vast majority of servicemembers BELIEVE IN WHAT THEY DO. Servicemembers defend freedom for all of us. To use the deaths of military personnel to further a political anti-war agenda is insulting in the extreme to the aforementioned deceased servicemembers. Part of the freedoms servicemembers defend are freedoms of speech and thought, yes. We are free to be in favor of or against a war, or war in general. However, the world (and human nature) being what it is, it is really not possible to live without ever defending yourself against outside hostility/threats. We'd do well to keep this in mind.

Posted by: army_wife at October 26, 2009 11:20 AM

Thank you armywife for your post. We appreciate you, your husband's and your family's service and sacrifice. I am praying that our President will do the right thing not the politically correct thing. I do not remember who said it but I am sure you know "War is hell" but it can be necessary to protect freedom and democracy. May God help our nation. I want to post a short prayer.

Dear Heavenly Father,
Please help our nation, our leaders and especially our men and women in uniform. Please guide and protect our nation and our troops. Forgive our nation for our sins, for the culture of death that devalues life inside and outside of the womb, our disdain for your laws for your moral standards, for calling right wrong and wrong right, for not protecting the most innocent among us unborn babies, the disabled and the elderly. We ask you to transform the hearts of our President, our Congress and the American people. Thank you for loving us. Amen.

Posted by: Prolifer L at October 26, 2009 11:57 AM

Hi Army_wife

Thank you for such an outstanding post.
I also thank your husband and you for your service and sacrifice to our country.

Posted by: Mary at October 26, 2009 12:09 PM

Posted by: army_wife at October 26, 2009 11:20 AM

"The world we live in sometimes requires that we use force to defend ourselves. It would be nice if it were not necessary, but that's reality in this world. If we turned into spineless jellyfish who would never fight back for our own rights and freedoms, guess what? We'd be taken over by a dictator or some other hostile government faster than you could blink."

I agree. Too many people take our freedoms for granted. Thank you for your insight and for your family's courageous commitment to preserving them.

* * * *

To Prolifer L's prayer -
Amen.

Posted by: Janet at October 26, 2009 1:00 PM

"The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other guy die for his."

— George S. Patton Jr.

I get that sometimes you have to defend yourself. I hate war and killing but if you are going to do it, do it quickly and at the enemy's expense not your own.

We already know we are the good guys and we can't prove that to the enemy, so all that is left is to destroy the enemy. That is what war is. I hate that, but you have to be honest about it.

I don't think we should have done it in the first place, but we are no longer in the first place and the president wants to community organize in Afghanistan more than he wants to destroy our enemies.

Posted by: hippie at October 26, 2009 1:45 PM

Hippie, I agree I don't want Obama to take a poll and to be playing political games with the lives of our servicemen. I don't want our troops to be used as political pawns while he figures out which way the wind is blowing with his finger up in the air. I know he has been the darling of the radical pro-aborts, the radical leftist elites and Hollywood but he is now Commander and Chief, his inexperience, naivete and radical views are showing. It was reported that the President of France was livid but to be nice he called Obama "naive" when he wouldn't let the UK, France and US at the UN meeting call out Iran on hiding nuclear sites and Obama tried to act like it was a "Kumbaya" moment at the UN while Iran, North Korea (who decided it was the perfect time to send off some missiles) and Kidaffy (pun intended)flipped Obama and our allies the bird. It was reported that is why they made the announcement about Iran having secret nuclear site away from the UN meeting in NY because Obama did not want to look "bad".

Posted by: Prolifer L at October 26, 2009 9:40 PM

Hi PLL,

Its scary to think that the French, who would be speaking German if not for us, have grown a bigger pair than our president.

Trouble is this has not gone unnoticed by the world's tyrants.

I hear Sean Penn went to interview Fidel Castro. I wish I could understand this fascination with dictators by wealthy celebrities who enjoy immense personal and artistic freedom as well as a living standard the citizens of these dictatorships could never imagine in their wildest dreams.

Posted by: Mary at October 26, 2009 10:30 PM

Hi Mary. I totally agree with your observation about world tyrants being emboldened by what they sense as weakness by the president and the Hollywood so-called celebrities being fascinated by dictators. I pray God will have mercy on our nation and the world we are so messed up on these issues.

Posted by: Prolifer L at October 27, 2009 11:33 AM

To those expressing thanks - you're welcome. And just so you know, I didn't post all that to get a pat on the back. :-) Just thought you might want to hear it from our side, too (how we feel about the war, considering the fact that it has huge implications for our lives... rather than just being a political issue we discuss from the sidelines).

Posted by: army_wife at October 28, 2009 8:48 PM