Smackdown: Patrick Kennedy's bishop calls him "ignorant... a disappointment"

Patrick Kennedy, Bishop Thomas Tobin, Rhode Island, Catholic Church, abortion.jpg

Yesterday I posted a CNS News article and video wherein RI Congressman Patrick Kennedy accused the Catholic Church of not being pro-life for opposing any nationalized healthcare bill not explicitly excluding taxpayer funded abortion coverage (which Kennedy called an "absolute red herring").

Kennedy's bishop, Most Rev. Thomas Tobin was quick to respond, and WOW. Here's the text of Tobin's statement, via The Roman Catholic Diocese of Providence...

Congressman Patrick Kennedy's statement about the Catholic Church's position on health care reform is irresponsible and ignorant of the facts. But the Congressman is correct in stating that "he can't understand." He got that part right.

Patrick Kennedy, Bishop Tobin, abortion, healthcare, logo, Roman Catholic Diocese of Providence.jpg

As I wrote to Congressman Kennedy and other members of the Rhode Island Congressional Delegation recently, the Bishops of the United States are indeed in favor of comprehensive health care reform and have been for many years. But we are adamantly opposed to health care legislation that threatens the life of unborn children, requires taxpayers to pay for abortion, rations health care, or compromises the conscience of individuals.

Congressman Kennedy continues to be a disappointment to the Catholic Church and to the citizens of the State of Rhode Island. I believe the Congressman owes us an apology for his irresponsible comments. It is my fervent hope and prayer that he will find a way to provide more effective and morally responsible leadership for our state.

Here was The Boston Globe's take:

The late Senator Edward Kennedy seemed to mend his differences with the Catholic Church just before his death. But less than 2 months later, his youngest son has plunged into a firestorm of controversy with the church.

In strong rhetoric, US Representative Patrick Kennedy of RI and Bishop Thomas Tobin of the Providence Diocese have exchanged nasty comments over abortion and proposals for a health care overhaul in Washington, DC. Kennedy is a strong supporter of health care overhaul, even if it includes public funding for abortion services, while the Catholic Church opposes the abortion component.

In a statement released yesterday, Tobin lashed out at Kennedy, a son of one of the nation's most prominent Catholic families, for incendiary remarks the congressman made in an interview about abortion....

Tobin, like the church and most Republicans [WRONG], has said he supports a universal health care plan, but one that would explicitly outlaw the use of public money for abortions....

A Kennedy spokeswoman did not respond to requests for comment yesterday.

But the exchange was the latest joust between the Catholic Church and the storied Kennedy clan. Kennedy's father, the late senator, came under constant criticism for his stand on issues that crossed Catholic beliefs, such as abortion rights.

The differences seemed to be mended at the senator's funeral in August, when it was revealed that Pope Benedict XVI, after receiving a letter from the ailing Kennedy asking for prayers, bestowed upon him an "apostolic blessing.''

Cardinal Sean O'Malley, of the Boston diocese, also participated in the senator's funeral, in spite of criticism, and explained later that "we will stop the practice of abortion by changing the law, and we will be successful in changing the law if we change people's hearts.''

[HT: Dougy]

Comments:

Well articulated Rev. Tobin!

This has been quite a week!

BO schemes against Fox News and gets slapped across the face by the press he thought he had in his pocket. He thought his "gift" would persuade the MSM to compromise their integrity.

Then the good Rev. absolutely slams Kennedy - didn't pull any punches there, God bless him!

And Law & Order actually did a pretty good job showing both sides of the abortion issue and then rightly convicted the killer-killer.

My favorite line: Connie Rubirosa, "I'm glad it is so clear cut for you, Mike. Unfortunately, I can't leave my soul in the umbrella stand when I come into work in the morning."

Posted by: Ed at October 24, 2009 10:12 AM

Jill, you can obviously relate to Connie's comment.

God bless you for the stand you took and the cause you continue to champion, Life!

May we all become so bold.

Posted by: Ed at October 24, 2009 10:15 AM

If I were Congressman Kennedy, I'd take this opportunity to quit the church. Then he wouldn't have to worry about disappointing them. If you don't believe in the tenets or an organization, find another one.

I don't know why some people act like you're bound to the Church for life.

Posted by: Hal at October 24, 2009 10:17 AM

It wouldn't be politically expedient for him to quit the church Hal. He's doing his best balancing act trying to parrot the party line, hoping BO will notice and throw some stimulus money his way.

He is lost, blind and totally deceived, just like the good Rev. said. He's clueless.

Posted by: Ed at October 24, 2009 10:25 AM

Time they put the smackdown on the nun 'volunteering' as a clinic escort, too. Pathetic.

Posted by: Jill at October 24, 2009 11:15 AM

I never knew it would feel so good to see/hear/read about a Kennedy being held accountable for their words!!!!

It was worth the wait!

Posted by: IDSCforlife at October 24, 2009 11:23 AM

I actually agree with you, Hal. The church isn't going to change for little ole Kennedy.

There's plenty of prochoice denominations out there that pretend they're holy and stuff.

Right up his alley.

Posted by: carder at October 24, 2009 11:32 AM

Kkkk,

It appears you need an education yourself.

Go to abortionno.org and watch the short video. Then come back and explain to us how the "treatment" the baby just received qualifies as health care.

The Kennedys advocated for health care for some, while they believe the little ones can be killed.

Posted by: Ed at October 24, 2009 11:36 AM

You've got a point. When I was typing my comment I was thinking about how many politicians change their convictions with the latest public opinion polls.

Getting back to the heart of the matter, can you muster the courage to view the video?

Posted by: Ed at October 24, 2009 11:56 AM

Right up his alley.
Posted by: carder at October 24, 2009 11:32 AM

Or no denomination at all. Imagine that.

Posted by: Hal at October 24, 2009 11:59 AM

You can't really comment intelligently on abortion until you've seen abortion. Then you have to give a rational response to what you've just witnessed.

It's a gut check.

Posted by: Ed at October 24, 2009 12:07 PM

THANK GOD the Church isn't going to change for ol' Kennedy or anyone else! THANK GOD the Church will always defend the truth no matter the cost. THANK GOD the Church's teachings aren't swayed by politicians or modern trends in "enlightened" thinking. THANK GOD the truth never changes, and therefore the Church's teachings do not change, nor do they become outdated, irrelevant, old-fashioned, or backwards.

Kennedy has a choice to make: will he defend the truth or will he lose his soul in pursuit of the world? In the meantime, he needs to at least stop spewing nonsense about the Catholic Church.

Bishop Tobin is right on the money. God bless him for speaking out.

Posted by: J at October 24, 2009 12:25 PM

I doubt Congressman Kennedy is worried about his "soul."

Posted by: Hal at October 24, 2009 12:29 PM

I doubt Congressman Kennedy is worried about his "soul."

Exactly Hal. That's his problem, and yours as well, whether you realize it or not.

Your soul will live for eternity in one of two places - like the bumper sticker says, smoking or non-smoking.

Posted by: Ed at October 24, 2009 12:47 PM

The Catholic Church will not stop telling the TRUTH and the truth is ABORTION IS MURDER. It is NOT HEALTH CARE.

Posted by: LizFromNebraska at October 24, 2009 3:42 PM

Thank you Bishop Tobin. God bless you for speaking up and being a true leader of the Catholic Church.

Posted by: Prolifer L at October 24, 2009 3:47 PM

Posted by: Jill at October 24, 2009 11:15 AM

agreed. what a terrible sin this woman who has taken vows.

Bishop Tobin you are wonderful! God bless you.

Posted by: angel at October 24, 2009 6:06 PM

Hal,
I obviously don't know you, but the God who is Truth knows you intimately and loves you eternally. I hope one day soon you will receive Him and the life He offers.

Ed,
I'm very sorry to hear you say that. Take a deep breath. Fortunately for us all, God is still on the throne and He sees the hearts of all. We should never be glad to see a single soul lost forever. There is hope for Kennedy, for Hal, for me and for you. God isn't finished with any of us yet.

Posted by: J at October 24, 2009 6:38 PM

Awright, pay attention to what the Bishop said. It's really interesting.

"the Bishops of the United States are indeed in favor of comprehensive health care reform and have been for many years. But we are adamantly opposed to health care legislation that threatens the life of unborn children, requires taxpayers to pay for abortion, rations health care, or compromises the conscience of individuals."

Did you see that they oppose health care RATIONING?
Now Rationing is an absolutely essential element to national health care. Check the VA if you're confused or defocused about this. They control your treatment options, and your drug formulary.
So-
The Good Bishop needs to whisper into Sr. Carol Keenan's ear to KEEP her focused. No National Health Care, Nobama, NoSebelius. ;-)

Posted by: Pharmer at October 24, 2009 6:39 PM

eh, just like my sister-in-law. She thinks cause she goes to church every once in a while and lights a stinkin candle its okay that she LOVES Obama and helped vote that non-repentant baby-killer into office.

Posted by: Sydney M. at October 24, 2009 6:55 PM

Minnow,

There IS such a thing as absolute truth in this world, you know. Just because someone doesn't "believe in" God doesn't make Him go *poof* and disappear. He's there whether anyone likes it or not. Reality is not relative. For instance, if I were to not believe in the rule of law and thus do whatever I pleased, I would end up in jail. Why? Because REALITY is, there are laws in this world and people who break them receive an appropriate consequence, even if they don't believe in laws or government or whatever. God is loving, but He is also just. He allows us to choose our path, but there are consequences to that decision. He doesn't force us to follow Him. But there is a terrible consequence (hell) for those who choose to follow a path away from God. Like many other things in life, we must consider carefully which consequences we want and choose our actions accordingly.

With that being said, I don't think it's appropriate for ANYONE who identifies themselves as a Christian to actually take comfort in the fact that unrepentant sinners are condemned to hell. We're supposed to be distressed, troubled, and saddened by this, not glad or comforted by it. Genuine concern for others should be the motivator for (lovingly) sharing the truth of Christ. Sometimes people need to hear some hard truths in order to really think about things, but even tough love should be administered through a heart of love and compassion.

I'm glad that God is just but I am saddened by the fact that so many people choose to go against God (and in so doing, choose eternal punishment in hell). I certainly don't want anyone to go there but the fact of the matter is, you can't force someone to choose the right thing. You can try to help someone choose the right path, warn them of the danger that lies ahead, but if they choose to go on and don't heed your warnings, it's out of your hands. God waits with open arms to receive all who want to accept Him as their Savior and to follow His ways - but He doesn't force. After all, if you forced someone to love you - it wouldn't mean anything at all, now would it? God wants people to willingly choose to love and follow Him, not robots who were forced to "love" Him.

Posted by: army_wife at October 24, 2009 9:17 PM

Ed does it give you comfort, the thought that Hal might go to Hell for not believing?

First off, you can replace "might" with "will". And yes it does. Especially after all the trolling he's done here. His eternal reward, when it comes, will be richly deserved.

Posted by: Ed at October 24, 2009 6:24 PM
*********************

Mods, this is the second time this has happened. Either someone named Ed is jumping into a thread pretending to be me or someone is just using my name. If you could investigate and find out who sent this is I would appreciate it.

Now to clean up the mess:

Minnow, Hal & I have been trading posts for months. He knows I care about his eternal welfare. I believe in Heaven and Hell, he doesn't. Scripture admonishes us to warn those that are lost about the coming Judgment. God loves us so much that He gave His Son to die in our place. If we reject that sacrifice and the calling of His Spirit, and continue to live for ourselves, there is not much else God can do for us.

Posted by: Ed at October 24, 2009 9:48 PM

Posted by: Ed at October 24, 2009 6:24 PM
**************************

Whoever you are posting in my name, stop it. It's fraudulent. Comment under your own name or if your name happens to be Ed, clarify yourself so I'm not misunderstood.

I wouldn't wish Hell on my worst enemy. It's eternal torment and I earnestly pray Hal finds Christ.

If you don't like his posts, pray for him!

Perhaps God will soften your heart in the process and deliver you from a vindictive heart.

Posted by: Ed at October 24, 2009 9:54 PM

J at October 24, 2009 6:38 PM

Amen J. Thank God there's hope for all of us.

Posted by: Ed at October 24, 2009 9:57 PM

Well Ed, you have some hate in you.

And btw, hell and God are what YOU believe in. They are not certainties. But hey, if it bring you joy to "know" people will burn in hell, then go for it I guess.

Posted by: Minnow at October 24, 2009 8:21 PM
********************

Minnow,

Again, based on what the Word of God says Hell is, I wouldn't wish anyone to go there, (except for the guy posting in my name, just kidding).

Jesus died for all of us and He's so merciful and loving, people just need to know Him.

Posted by: Ed at October 24, 2009 10:03 PM

Right on Army Wife.

Posted by: Ed at October 24, 2009 10:07 PM

Ed, you're right. We're on it...

Posted by: Bobby Bambino Author Profile Page at October 24, 2009 10:09 PM

Thanks Bobby.

It may be the same guy that did it back in the Quote of the Day thread back on 9/18/09.

Posing as me he said, "THE HOLY SPIRIT CONDEMN THEE."

Might be the same guy.

Posted by: Ed at October 24, 2009 10:15 PM

Minnow,

I hate sin, evil and the devil, but I love you!

I love Hal too but not as much as you :)

Posted by: Ed at October 24, 2009 10:22 PM

I know exactly who it is.

Posted by: Bobby Bambino Author Profile Page at October 24, 2009 10:38 PM

Thanks Bobby,

Boy that really makes me feel crummy thinking that someone is attributing those spiteful comments to me.

Hopefully most people who read them will come back to the thread and see the clarifications.

Have a great night.

Posted by: Ed at October 24, 2009 11:01 PM

Ed,
The REAL Ed: Peace to you. Sorry to hear your good name was hijacked like that, but very relieved to know the comments about hell didn't come from you.

Again, peace be with you. And peace be with you, Hal. The peace the world cannot give -- the peace of Christ.

Posted by: J at October 24, 2009 11:39 PM

Bobby or whoever the current moderator is:

Could you make sure via email that Hal knows I didn't write that spiteful post about him? It would be tragic if he went away for several months because of the hateful venom in that post.

Posted by: Ed at October 25, 2009 6:47 AM

Ed,
Just a guess, but it was probably "kkkk" who used your name. There seems to be a pattern going ......
Don't worry. We know you are a stand up guy! God bless.

Posted by: Janet at October 25, 2009 8:28 AM

When Leaders in the church LEAD, it is a wonderful thing! Church leaders are on an equal playing field with political leaders. They don't have the same role - they operate in a different sphere of government (there are many spheres of government - e.g., civil, church, family, personal), but they have a role in speaking to issues of morality, and abortion is clearly an issue of morality. I am so thankful that this Bishop is not afraid to speak up about abortion, as that is his responsibility as a church leader!

Posted by: Valerie at October 25, 2009 8:51 AM

Minnow, someone has on occasion gone around posting as Ed, and also IIRC as HisMan. Mods can check IP addresses, so they would probably know if it wasn't actually Ed. There are, unfortunately, some fairly immature or bored people in the world!

Posted by: Alexandra at October 25, 2009 11:15 AM

" Sorry Ed, but I'm not buying your story that someone else used your name to post that. I think you posted it, then later thought better of it and tried to disown your post by saying you didn't make it. I appreciate that you eventually stepped away from such a horrible thing to say, but you still obviously have a vindictive heart to have said it in the first place, and your dishonesty in refusing to own up to your own posts is very troubling as well. "

Wrong. I'm a moderator here, and it was not Ed who wrote that. I know exactly who it was. I have evidence to support the claim that it was not Ed.

Now I think you owe Ed an apology for calling him dishonest and claiming that he is vindictive.

Posted by: Bobby Bambino Author Profile Page at October 25, 2009 11:23 AM

Minnow,

Don't you think that a vindictive heart would not give someone the benefit of the doubt? What's your beef with Ed, anyway? Your "going after him" seems quite vindictive to me.

The "real" Ed is a good guy. Read his posts and listen to them. He's very wise.

(on another note)
BTW, where IS HisMan? I miss his posts!

Posted by: Marie at October 25, 2009 11:27 AM

Marie- thank you for your kind words. I've been busy but do still try to find time for this site.

Anybody who would wrongly use Ed's good name to slander him is true slime. Ed's a wonderful brother in Christ and although he's too kind a soul to say it, there very well are many people who do deserve eternal damnation for rejecting Christ, and I have a feeling Ed's despicable imposter who I suspect may be Hal himself trying to sow discord counts among them.

Posted by: Phil Schembri is HisMan at October 25, 2009 11:46 AM

I don't think it was Hal. I would wager on our good friend Asitis/Virginia/Tommy-the-pro-lifer-who-found-asitis-to-be-insightful-and-funny.

Posted by: Lauren at October 25, 2009 11:54 AM

The Catholic church should have spoken up when JFK made his infamous statement years ago about how he would not let being Catholic influence his job: " I am not the Catholic candidate for President. I am the Democratic Party's candidate for President, who happens also to be a Catholic. "
John F. Kennedy

By distancing himself from the Pope and fears that people had about the Pope taking over the United States, JKF paved the way for all the "so called Catholic" elected officials to distance themselves from anything Catholic. It is very clear to me that Nancy Pelosi does not vote according to her Catholic upbringing. In fact the same could be said of many of the Catholic legislators.

It seems that the next generation of Kennedys are moving even farther from Catholic teaching than even JFK did. When JFK was elected Democrats were still able to be pro-life. That is almost a rarity now. How many Democrats can run on a pro-life platform?

Being Catholic, there is almost nothing that bothers me more than hearing so called "catholics" proclaim pro-abortion values. It is such an embarrassment. It is scandalous. It actually breaks my heart.

To see a nun safeguarding women on the way to having an abortion, is unbelievable to me. I was taught for 14 years under nuns of several different orders, and they were all pro-life back then. We were taught to protect life at all costs. We read about saints that protected life at all costs.

All I can say is that I pray for those that stray from the teachings of the blble. I applaud any nun, priest, bishop or clergy that stands up to those that distort our religious beliefs.

Posted by: Eileen at October 25, 2009 1:36 PM

Eileen: I think your quote points out a very important point about Catholicism in the West and in America in particular.
We have Presidents who are Catholic, doctors who are Catholic, teachers who are Catholic, engineers who are Catholic.
But do we have Catholic Presidents, Catholic doctors, Catholic teachers etc...
Notice the Catholic comes after the occupation in the first examples, no doubt because the "Catholic" in them is shed at the church doors upon leaving.
It's because people do not see themselves as Catholic first that we have all these problems today. Nuns who are not Catholic really at all.

Posted by: angel at October 25, 2009 1:52 PM

Yes, angel, we have many Catholics in name only, cultural catholics, or cafeteria catholics as some would say. I need to look no farther than my own siblings and friends to see that they pick and choose what to focus on.

Posted by: Eileen at October 25, 2009 2:15 PM

yes, it's very sad and difficult to watch. :(

Posted by: angel at October 25, 2009 2:19 PM

A Bishop can't lie.

Young Mr. Kennedy IS ignorant, but it's not his fault -- it's in the blood -- 110 proof.

If his name was O'Toole he'd be wearing a McDonald's cap instead of walking the halls of Congress.

Posted by: Beckwith at October 25, 2009 7:28 PM

I suspect that his big brother is currently have some quite intense 2nd thoughts about abandoning millions of unborn babies for political gain.

The story of the rich man requesting assistance from hell comes to mind, perfectly.

Posted by: LogicalUS at October 25, 2009 7:30 PM

" Prominent Catholic family "??? Hardly. Prominent , yes . Catholic, not really

Posted by: mjk at October 25, 2009 7:35 PM

Mr Kennedy has no respect for the weakest members of society, because his pro death father was honored he believes he has a voice for life, what a satanic sham

Posted by: jeff at October 25, 2009 7:43 PM

Ted Kennedy received a generic letter(a form letter) from the Vatican, much like one I would get if I wrote to them. Eunice received a blessing from the Pope, directly, to her from him. Why? Because she believed in the teachings of the Church. She was a Democrat that happened to be opposed to abortion! Imagine that, a free thinking person!

Posted by: Pam at October 25, 2009 7:45 PM

I'm so blessed to have Jesus as my Shepherd. When I go astray, He leads me back. He keeps me on the path of righteousness. I am so happy that I don't have to rely on a man who may or may not bring me back when I go astray.

Psalm 23:1-3 (New American Standard Bible)

The LORD is my shepherd, I shall not want.
He makes me lie down in green pastures;
He leads me beside quiet waters.
He restores my soul;
He guides me in the paths of righteousness
For His name's sake.

(and one more)

1 Peter 2:24-25 (New American Standard Bible)

24 and He Himself bore our sins in His body on the cross, so that we might die to sin and live to righteousness; for by His wounds you were healed.

25 For you were continually straying like sheep, but now you have returned to the Shepherd and Guardian of your souls.

Posted by: Marie at October 25, 2009 8:14 PM

A beautiful website for non-Catholics and fallen-away Catholics who feel they are missing something in their life:

www.catholicscomehome.org/

Posted by: Janet at October 25, 2009 8:18 PM

Umm, Hi Marie,
It's just a coincidence (or divine providence?) that our posts are back-to-back. I hadn't seen yours before I posted mine. God bless.

Posted by: Janet at October 25, 2009 8:21 PM

Ignorant applies to both their houses.

Posted by: Skip at October 25, 2009 8:36 PM

Janet,

LOL! I saw that too!

I've just read so many times here that Catholics wish that the bishops and pope, etc., would speak up more often, put their foot down, etc. I have mixed feelings about what Tobin did. First, I'm happy to see him speaking up. It's about time someone did that with a Kennedy! However, I don't know if it will make Kennedy run further from the Catholic teachings. (this could backfire). I know I would be angry, and would prefer that Tobin came to see me personally. (I don't know for sure if Tobin tried that or not, though). It just seems like a tit-for-tat public argument. As shepherd's of the caholic church, shouldn't they "nip it in the bud" (privately)instead of waiting so long when they see their sheep going astray? (publically?)

I guess what I'm trying to say, is that a true Christian will get reprimanded when he/she goes astray by the Holy Spirit. The Holy Spirit will lay it thick on their hearts, and the guilt can be very overwhelming...to the point that you cry out to God to help to change you...to bring you back to His righteousness. That's where my previous post comes in. I'd rather have the Lord as my Shepherd than a man. Men fail. God does not.

Posted by: Marie at October 25, 2009 8:50 PM

Hal says, "I don't know why some people act like you're bound to the Church for life."

It's because they're Christians. It's because the believe in the Resurrection. It's because they believe that at the moment of their death Christ Himself will make a judgment on their lives. It's because they are not indifferent to any of this.

It's because they believe that if you're not bound to the Church for life, you're bound for Hell in death.

Posted by: Dave Jurin at October 25, 2009 9:14 PM

Marie,
We aren't privy to any private conversations that have taken place, there have most likely been several, and unless Patrick has been living in a cave somewhere (he hasn't) he knows what is right and what is wrong. There is a point where a public admonishment is necessary, as in this case, to prevent others from sinning by following his example. I'm not sure how much further Kennedy could run from Catholic teachings. Were you referring to some specific behavior? If he continues in the wrong direction, he will be culpable.

I don't know what you mean by "true Christian". Even the best of us may hear the Holy Spirit, but we can be blinded by our own sinfulness and remain in a sinful state for a long time until we receive the grace we need to repent.

Regarding your final comment. If by "man" you mean the Church leaders, I would respond that we are individually responsible for our own faith formation and our growing relationship with the Lord, especially as mature adults. The Lord is our Shepard. It is because this Kennedy has strayed in the public eye that this specific person has been publically reprimanded. He should know better.

I hope that clarifies your questions.

Posted by: Janet at October 25, 2009 9:18 PM

Dave Jurin,
Well said!

Posted by: Janet at October 25, 2009 9:19 PM

Marie,

I should have said "I hope that answers your questions."

Posted by: Janet at October 25, 2009 9:21 PM

"... and I have a feeling Ed's despicable imposter who I suspect may be Hal himself trying to sow discord counts among them."
Posted by: Phil Schembri is HisMan at October 25, 2009 11:46 AM

Does Phil owe me an apology or risk being banned, no questions asked?

Posted by: Hal at October 25, 2009 10:02 PM

Hal,
Did you watch Law and Order? The part about the born-alive infant who was subsequently murdered by the abortionist is especially relevant to the BAIPA which you deem unnecessary law as did President (then Senator) Obama.
I'm wondering after seeing the show if you think prosecuting an abortionist who kills a baby after a live-birth (botched abortion) would be imprudent.

Posted by: Janet at October 25, 2009 10:18 PM

Hi Janet. Didn't see the show. I don't have an objection to prosecuting anyone who kills an infant.

Posted by: Hal at October 25, 2009 10:24 PM

You need a pretty thick rug to tie together .. abortion, social justice and the Catholic Church .. Patrick Kennedy did.

Posted by: Neo at October 26, 2009 12:24 AM

The circuit-breaker opened on the line supplying power to my sump pump so I've been busy cleaning up the basement.

Bobby,

Thanks for trying to straighten out the miscommunication.

I appreciate all of the kind words in my defense.

FWIW, I don't care if Minnow or anyone else ever apologizes to me. I've sinned enough in my life to be considered a real "expert" on the subject and am just thankful for God's Love and Mercy.

I couldn't tell someone they were going to Hell because they did this or that because as a fellow human, we are all going to be judged on Judgment Day for our actions and words.

I can say that according to His Word, we have all fallen short of His Holy Standards, His Glory, and we all are in need of a Savior.

His Name is Jesus!

All Glory be to His Wonderful Name!

Posted by: Ed at October 26, 2009 6:41 AM

"You absolutely owe Ed an apology. If you don't apologize to him I will ban you, no questions asked."

OK, this was not me either. It is the same person now posting under my name.

Posted by: Bobby Bambino Author Profile Page at October 26, 2009 6:51 AM

Minnow,

"And bobby, regarding your post at 11:23am , if you know Ed was not the one who posted that comment, you also know it was not me who posted the one at 11:08am and this, you also know that I do not owe Ed an apology. Who ever was posing as Ed was likely also posing as me."

Yes, you are correct! Thank you for pointing this out. As I hope you saw above, it was also not me who wrote the threat to you. Sorry about that. I think we should all begin to ignore this entire thread.

Posted by: Bobby Bambino Author Profile Page at October 26, 2009 6:55 AM

Hal,

I don't think that was HisMan, like one of the "Bobby Bambino" posts was not me, like a couple Ed posts were not him, and a couple Minnow posts were not him/her.

Posted by: Bobby Bambino Author Profile Page at October 26, 2009 6:59 AM

abortion is murder. even the ancient romans undestood it as such. to them, it was the unconscionable slaughter of an innocent. we all know this, but it is an inconvenient truth. we allow abortions to set aside the guilt, regret or shame of women, and the responsibility of men.

Posted by: luisbrau at October 26, 2009 7:14 AM

This is all very disheartening. It really says something about someone when they're willing to make BOTH pro-lifers and pro-choicers look like liers, deceits, and just plain heartless.

Posted by: Bobby Bambino Author Profile Page at October 26, 2009 7:19 AM

Good post luisbrau.

Bobby, it reminds me of the verse in Proverbs Bobby that lists 6 or 7 things God hates. One of them is "one who sows discord among the brethren".

I agree, dump the thread and move on.

Perhaps one day the technology will be available to give you guys more practical control over this type of misinformation.

Posted by: Ed at October 26, 2009 7:35 AM

It probably would be an additional operating cost for the site though.

Posted by: Ed at October 26, 2009 7:40 AM

Gotta get to work, have a great day!

Posted by: Ed at October 26, 2009 7:42 AM

you've got'a love these people like the Kennedy's that will murder an innocent unborn, yet find it impossible to execute a serial killer-rapist of children....... you've got'a love them again for the way they are sooooooo good at spending money (our taxes) that isn't theirs.......

bar both those things..... PEOPLE OF RHODE ISLAND 'WAKE UP' can't you see that this Kennedy is a moron...???? he speaks like a drunken idiot, and has no clue as to what he's saying..... taLk about a sock-puppet for Obama.... WOW.....

Posted by: danpa at October 26, 2009 7:54 AM

Thank You Bishop.

I am a devout catholic and was beginning to believe that a number of the church leadership was/is beginning to accept the abortion arguments. I believe that the killing of a child at any age is something that needs to be paid for either now or at judgement day. Mr. Kennedy and most of his family claim to be cetholic but do not live within the dictates of the church. Why do they still have standings within the church? Why have the not been refused the blessings of the church?

Posted by: John at October 26, 2009 8:38 AM

Finally, our Bishops answer back!

Next step: excommunicate Kennedy and Pelosi.
It would be a start.

Posted by: UrbanRevival at October 26, 2009 8:50 AM

"It just occurred to me that if we all had individual sign in / log in names which required our own passwords, that would help."

Just a thought- if the ip address or a portion of it were posted you might be able tell if the poster was a fake.
What the fake poster fails to understand is that his posts reveal more about him and his need to cause trouble.
If you don't have anything better- check out
www.kiva.org
While its founders appear dyed in the wool liberals, I like the way it helps 3rd world folks one family at a time.
But I should warn you, it can be addictive :-)

Posted by: mike at October 26, 2009 9:07 AM

Thanks Bobbie, that post didn't sound like you.

Posted by: Hal at October 26, 2009 9:15 AM

Jill, I just wanted to let you know that this post was linked by hotair.com

Way to go!

Posted by: Lauren at October 26, 2009 9:49 AM

Posted by: Lauren at October 26, 2009 9:49 AM

"Jill, I just wanted to let you know that this post was linked by hotair.com"

"Way to go!"

Good news. Can't the troll's comments be deleted? It's a shame to have such an important topic de-railed.

Posted by: Janet at October 26, 2009 11:13 AM

This is off-topic but Hillary Clinton is scheduled to speak on Religious Freedom at 2:15 ET. Let's see where she goes with this!

Posted by: Janet at October 26, 2009 1:09 PM

I'd still be alive if teddy could arrange a "procedure" for me. Especially one he didn't have to pay for. BTW Kennedy(D-Ri) should be tossed from the church and Gov't by defiling himself w/drugs.

Posted by: maryJo at October 26, 2009 2:08 PM

I really can't speak to Patrick's standing with the Lord, but his standing with the church needs to be made public due to his very public profile and his misrepresentation of the church. He is being scandalous. I think we should take this more seriously. If he chastises the church publicly for being pro-life, then the Bishops' statement also needs to be very public. I am quite certain that there have been many many private conversations between the Kennedy's and their priests and bishops. I guess they (the private talks) didn't work. As a Catholic, I cringe when these high profile Catholic legislators vote pro-abortion. I don't think they need to always run on pro-abortion platforms. I think they are catering to a very vocal far left fringe. I think they are putting their souls at risk. I do think choosing murder will be dealt with by God. I don't think these people believe in Hell and I certainly don't think they ever believe they will have to answer to God for their own behavior.

Posted by: Eileen at October 26, 2009 10:57 PM

One aspect that I have not seen mentioned is the church pro-life stance agaist euthenasia. The Kennedy kids did not hesitate to pull the plug on Teddy this year in order to avoid paying the huge estate taxes eliminated under Bush that the Democrats are going to let come back in about 65 more days.

Posted by: Matthew Courtney at October 27, 2009 4:44 AM

Mathew, Senator Kennedy lived longer than expected. No one "pulled the plug to avoid paying estate taxes." What a reprehensible allegation, and while the family is still in mourning. I hope none of them have to read your hateful comments.

Posted by: Hal at October 27, 2009 9:18 AM

Posted by: Hal at October 25, 2009 10:24 PM

Even when the botched abortion requires the abortionist to stab the baby in the head to kill it? That's great, Hal.

Posted by: Janet at October 27, 2009 11:38 AM

Hal, Correction.
I should have said:

Except when the botched abortion requires the abortionist to stab the baby in the head to kill it?

Posted by: Janet at October 27, 2009 11:41 AM

A well-deserved belt from the crozier!

Posted by: John Gillis at October 27, 2009 2:42 PM