Supremes decline IL Choose Life license plate lawsuit

illinois choose life.jpgI am a plaintiff in the IL Choose Life specialty plate lawsuit against the State of IL (specifically Secretary of State Jesse White), which, btw, implicated former state Sen. Barack Obama.

Reported The Washington Times this morning...

Also Monday, the high court declined to consider several cases, including:

• An appeal from a pro-life group that wanted to require Illinois to provide vanity license plates that stated "Choose Life." The state opposed producing such license plates, which are available in 21 other states.

I previously wrote about the IL Choose Life specialty plate debacle - and Obama's slimy part in it - in a WorldNetDaily.com column.

Co-plaintiff Dan Proft, now candidate for governor in IL, wrote in a press release yesterday:

The Court's inaction in this case means the state may continue to deny IL motorists the option to purchase Choose Life license plates.

Every IL voter should ask themselves why the Chicago Democrats would go to the Supreme Court of the United States to thwart providing Illinoisans with the means to voluntarily support adoption service providers, while raising awareness of adoption as a loving option in the process, and frustrate efforts to help the most vulnerable children in our society find a loving home. On behalf of their pro-abortion contributors, the Chicago Democrats gladly trample your free speech rights in the bargain.

Such is the state in which I live. Corruption and evil intent rule.

Our attorney Tom Brejcha of the Thomas More Society will request a rehearing, although the chance is slim the Supremes will reconsider.

Comments:

My car. My choice.

If you don't like the plate, don't get one.

hypocrites.

Posted by: Marie at October 6, 2009 7:52 AM

Its not like they're FORCING those who are against LIFE to buy the plate. They just want it available for those who want it.

Why are there those in Illinois against giving ALTERNATIVES to abortion?

Posted by: LizFromNebraska at October 6, 2009 8:02 AM

Can you get someone to manufacture bumper stickers or the vinyl decals that look like the graphic above? Then we could buy them with no money going to this corrupt state - everything going to the pro-life cause - and really make the pro-aborts mad!

Posted by: kristen at October 6, 2009 8:04 AM

Manufacture front license plates that say the same thing....do you have only back license plates in IL? In TN we did front license plates to help pay for the lawsuit the ACLU brought against the Choose Life license plate. It went up to the Supreme Court also with them refusing to hear the case making the positive decision for the plate by the 6th District Court stand. We have the best looking plate and it now is in the top 10 best sellers and the money goes to pregnancy resource centers and adoption services statewide. Shame on IL. The pols there have no shame.

Posted by: Maria at October 6, 2009 8:21 AM

Putting "choose life" on the plates is contentious.

Posted by: J at October 6, 2009 8:13 AM

Give me a break! Okay, how about this:

Do not murder babies

Better? You are ridiculous.

Posted by: Kristen at October 6, 2009 8:28 AM

We have Choose Life plates here in PA. I received some dirty looks and snickers, but I don't care. Why are these such a threat? The 'borts can get license plates that say "Abortion Rocks" or whatever, so what is the problem?

Posted by: Phillymiss at October 6, 2009 9:22 AM

Hello, Jill- Can you develop a post, or a website, with the full history of this effort? Maybe Thomas More Society could host it. History, hearings, court cases, etc. Right now, we just have a 2003 news story that speculates that Obama strategically avoided publicity, a guest column, and a rejection by the Supreme Court to hear a case - which probably only means that they accurately determined that states have jurisdiction over what to put on their own license plates.

Posted by: Row1 at October 6, 2009 9:48 AM

Here's Vannah off of the subject:

I think that our license plates need a new design. Don't stare, mouth agape, at my comment and think, "Whaaa?" I support the right to choose what license plate that you get (N.A.R.A.L., here's lookin' at you, babe), absolutely, but these ones are kind of...uh...corny.

Abortion is classism, purely and simply. It's a symptom of the absence of power to the everyman/woman. These plates seem to misconstrue that- a lot.

I don't think that pro-choicers hate children (well, they might), so much as they just project classism and bigotry onto them. It's not because they just hate the babies- they just assume that they shouldn't have to share a piece of the American pie with everyone else.

Posted by: Vannah at October 6, 2009 9:52 AM

In my state, Choose life tags are really common. I see them every day...I love my Choose life tag!

If pro-aborts really supported choice, they would support the Choose Life tags!

Posted by: bethany Author Profile Page at October 6, 2009 10:51 AM

I love Tennessee's plate!!

I am patiently waiting to see the Choose Death plates. Come on, proaborts...get creative!!

Vannah,
You are saying you don't like THIS plate's design or YOUR state's design or the plates in general?
The states that have them decided on their own design by committee I believe.

Posted by: carla Author Profile Page at October 6, 2009 11:01 AM

Posted by: carla at October 6, 2009 11:01 AM

"Choose Freedom"

"Choose for Yourself" I like this one because it incorporates the "selfish" theme that the pro lifers think motivates some to get abortions.

Posted by: Hal at October 6, 2009 11:46 AM

Choice only means one choice. Abortion.

Choose Life After You Learn All Of The Facts on Fetal Development And See The Ultrasound Of Your Growing Child.

I would like to see that on a license plate. :)

Posted by: carla Author Profile Page at October 6, 2009 12:20 PM

I haven't seen other plates except for the Colorado plates, Carla. Is there a picture of all of them. :)

Posted by: Vannah at October 6, 2009 12:27 PM

Go to the choose life website at the link I posted and hit Other States on the left hand side. Scroll down from the map to see other plates.

Posted by: carla Author Profile Page at October 6, 2009 12:33 PM

"Manufacture front license plates that say the same thing....do you have only back license plates in IL?"

Maria @ 8:21 AM,

No. They get you coming and going in Illinois. Front and back plates are required.

* * * *

"Can you get someone to manufacture bumper stickers or the vinyl decals that look like the graphic above?"

Kristen @ 8:04 AM,

Great idea. Did you notice that the graphic says "decal" in the upper right corner? Maybe someone is already making it for distribution.

Posted by: Janet at October 6, 2009 1:09 PM

Although Illinois won't approve pro-life plates, there are still many ways for IL drivers to show their support for LIFE. Project Gabriel, which gives ongoing support to pregnant women in need, is expanding their ministry in Illinois and has a magnetic "bumper sticker" for your car. Your parish or diocesan LIFE Office should be able to tell you how to find them. If not, Project Gabriel can be reached at 1-888 -4-HOPE-4-1.

Posted by: Janet at October 6, 2009 1:28 PM

A 'choose life' license plate? oh! how offensive! what an outrage.

Posted by: Jasper at October 6, 2009 2:03 PM

'Choose Rape'

'Choose Murder',

'Choose Sodomy',

'Choose Tyranty',

'Choose Treason',

'Choose Obama', etc.

All 'choices' are equal, right?

The progressive/liberal/humanist says there are absolutely no absolutes and absolutely everything is relative.

The most powerful decides for himself and for everyone else what is 'right' or what is 'wrong'.

yor bro ken

Posted by: kbhvac at October 6, 2009 4:36 PM

Posted by: Hal at October 6, 2009 11:46 AM

-------------------------------------------------

It is self evident that 'MOST' people, not 'some' people, who 'choose' to kill their children do it for selfish reasons.

Some how selflessness, philanthropy, benevolence, love, charity, goodness, kindness, mercy are completely incongruent with the choice to murder your own child.

None of those thing entered into my thought processes when I made the 'choice' to aid and abet and facilitate the murder of my son.

yor bro ken

Posted by: kbhvac at October 6, 2009 4:47 PM

Posted by: Bystander at October 6, 2009 9:27 PM

So far 24 states have Choose Life plates. In the last 12 years these plates have raised $10,700,000.00 for Pregnancy Care Centers, maternity homes and non-profit adoption agencies!!

If you would like to learn more about how to get the plate to your state, please check out the link.

Posted by: carla Author Profile Page at October 6, 2009 9:39 PM

So Bystander, do you object to any of the other special cause vanity plates out there or just politically conservative ones? Hey, after all, no ones holding you or Hal back from trying to get a pro-choice or any other political cause plate made.

Posted by: Rachael C. at October 7, 2009 12:10 AM

Oops, sorry about the double post, you can remove the second one. So on the topic, as I mentioned a while back, I got an Indiana Choose Life plate a while back when I renewed my plates and proudly sport it on my car. Personally, I think a vanity plate shares the message just as well as bumper stickers, plus has the bonus of financially contributing to the cause.

Posted by: Rachael C. at October 7, 2009 12:18 AM

Once again, the hypocrisy of the liberal left shows itself, in rejecting choice for others who don't agree with their baby-killing agenda.

Posted by: Suzanne at October 7, 2009 3:08 PM

Posted by: Bystander at October 6, 2009 9:27 PM

"What a silly lawsuit. If you want your politics on your car, buy a bumper sticker- or fifty."

----------------------------------------------------------
B.S.,

Usually, the state government does not attempt to censor speech. If some one applies to have specialty license plates manufactured the state allows the plates to be made available.

But in most cases if the message on the specialty plates can be perceived as 'anti' choice for a dead baby, then they ususal suspects band together and sue the state to prevent the plates from being manufactured.

Usually it is the 'dead babies r us' crowd that initiates the 'silly' lawsuit to impose censorship on speech they don't like.

Progressive/liberal/humnists have little or no tolerance for free speech unless they agree with the message.

yor bro ken

Posted by: kbhvac at October 7, 2009 5:31 PM

This just gets better - the State of IL had no problem issuing a commemorative "Illinois Salutes President Barak Obama" special event plates earlier this year - good for only 60 days - proceeds going to the Illinois Library Association. Apparently books are more important than children and their families.

Just yesterday I saw a plate on a car in the grocery store lot promoting "youth golf". I should be offended. I don't golf.

Posted by: Janet at October 7, 2009 6:13 PM

Why not change the wording on the plate to "LIFE" or "Celebrate Life" instead of "Choose life"? How can the courts reject that?

Posted by: Janet at October 7, 2009 6:16 PM

what a bunch of right wind extremeists...buy why am I surprised. The state has no right whatsoever to push any viewpoint but of course none of you would ever agree with that because you left you mind in the back seat.

Posted by: Jim at October 7, 2009 8:18 PM

Jim,
Twenty-four states disagree with you.

Posted by: Janet at October 7, 2009 8:38 PM

My goodness, Jim, your eloquence puts us all to shame, and most definitely proves your point against us beyond a shadow of a doubt. It's quite obvious that by driving my car around with my Arkansas "Choose Life" license plate, I have turned into an arm of the government which projects mind-altering waves of thought to all drivers behind me which prevent poor mothers on their way to the abortion clinic from receiving their necessary medical procedure. Your poetic retort has opened my eyes, Jim! THANK YOU!

Posted by: xalisae at October 8, 2009 11:02 AM

Jim, I'll ask you the same thing I asked Bystander. Do you oppose all special causes vanity license plates, because they endorse a certain point of view, or just political causes you don't agree with?

Posted by: Rachael C. at October 8, 2009 12:51 PM