Weekend question 12/26-27/09

weekend question.jpg

Looking back over the last year, what do you think was the top pro-life/anti-life story?

Comments:

Pro-life: Gallup finds pro-life majority in America for the first time in decades
Anti-life: George Tiller shot and killed

Posted by: Kelsey at December 27, 2009 10:11 AM

The top story to me was the death of Tiller and the subsequent shutting down of the death camp in Wichita. I abhor murder, either of innocent babies, whether pre- or post-birth, or of demon-possessed abortionists servicing Moloch. I believe he could have been saved by bowing his knee to the Lamb of God; therefore, murdering Tiller removed his chance of redemption and the killer was playing God with his life. That said, I still believe that it was one of the biggest abortion-related stories of the year.

Health Care "reform" or the full funding of abortion by American taxpayers will be the story for 2k10.

I hope that the failure of Planned Parenthood's Houston abortion temple to open will also be a story we can tell out of this coming year. To find out more about the 78,000 square foot abortion "hospital" and what's being done to stop it from opening, start at www.bound4life.com and watch the short video "Houston, Now is the Time!"

Thanks again, Jill (and staff) for all you are doing to save the pre-born and bring enlightenment on this MOST important issue.

Posted by: Amy at December 27, 2009 10:17 AM

Best Pro-life: George Tiller assumes room temperature.

Best Anti-Life: George Tiller assumes room temperature.

Life is full of ironies.

Like that photo of the Grand Wizard of the KKK with a burning cross in the back ground and him leaping off the speakers platform with his cloak and hood engulfed in flames.

Now that is what I call going out in a blaze of ignominity.

yor bro ken

Posted by: kbhvac at December 27, 2009 10:20 AM

One pro-life story that will stay with me forever is the Dallas News' 2-part video series, "Choosing Thomas - Inside a family's decision to let their son live, if only for a brief time." It is an amazing love story. Be prepared to cry. (Do a search here at Jill's for it.)

Posted by: Janet at December 27, 2009 11:37 AM

Hi Janet. I agree that stories like Baby Faith, Baby Eliot, and Baby Thomas are the ones that stayed with me. They may not be top headline-grabbers, but they are heart-grabbers. For me, the top anti-life story was Obama's honorary law degree from Notre Dame.

Posted by: Fed Up at December 27, 2009 12:17 PM

The only two stories I can think of, are the Revocation of Renelique's license, and July second, when the openion came down from the 5DCA here in Florida concerning James Pendergraft! RJ

Posted by: RJ Sandefur at December 27, 2009 12:23 PM

Best ProLife story for me was the Director of Planned Parenthood, Abby Johnson, in TX coming over to the LIFE side. ( PP putting a gag order on her that didn't hold. Why would they do that?? They don't have anything to hide do they????)

Best Anti-Life story: George Tiller Aborted.

Posted by: eileen smith at December 27, 2009 1:09 PM

After years of being swept under the table, I think in 2009, the issue of abortion took on a whole new level of significance in the public eye.

The Tiller murder was definitely a black eye, but also prompted a lot of discussion on the issue. Similarly, the health care reform debate has put abortion back into the national spotlight.

Going off topic a bit, what I find interesting is how abortion has become an interesting debate within both parties. The role of pro-choice GOP members and pro-life Democrats are both being questioned - and I think the end result will be that there will be less room at the table for GOPers who aren't strictly pro-life, and Democrats who aren't strictly pro-choice.

Posted by: Ex-GOP Voter at December 27, 2009 1:52 PM

Top Pro-life story- Abby Johnson flips

Top Anti-life story- The Obama Presidency

Posted by: Gerard Nadal at December 27, 2009 2:55 PM

Hi Fed Up,
I agree with you that Notre Dame's awarding Obama an honorary law degree was one of the most disheartening stories of the year. The fact that so many Catholics were unfazed by it and continue to support abortion rights is also up there among the top anti-life stories of 2009.

Posted by: Janet at December 27, 2009 3:09 PM

I"m surprised that 80% of voters have given Obama a failing grade so far. (I was one of them!)
He and Tiger Woods fail in my books completely - Obama as a leader of the largest democracy on earth and Tiger Woods as a husband and father.

Top anti-life story: the funding of abortions worldwide by Obama
Top prolife story: the continuing exposing of the lies of PP and the abortion industry by Lila Rose

Posted by: angel at December 27, 2009 4:44 PM

You probably would really be surprised at what the numbers actually say - I'm not going to steal Jill's fire and post them, but I'm kind of surprised myself, based on a traffic analysis of Jill Stanek.com.

Posted by: Chris Arsenault at December 27, 2009 6:05 PM

My answers are paradoxical on a couple of different levels

Top Anti-life story - the non-story of abortion being the leading cause of death in America (approximately by a factor of 2 over heart disease and cancer).

Abortion killed 700 babies for every 1000 live births in New York City.

41% of babies conceived, deliberately and brutally murdered in the womb.

And it's not a story considered newsworthy.

Most Americans don't care that we killed our own children by the thousands and thousands and thousands this past year.

My top story is that Americans are starting to care, a little bit. BO's despicable, deplorable and utterly detestable actions promoting genocide have stirred the Pro-life movement. We are beginning to awaken out of our slumber. Polls show the majority of Americans becoming Pro-life, but that doesn't mean that much.

Nothing will change until the Pro-Life movement becomes more militant.

We need to be violent. Not physically violent, spiritually violent. (Obviously, we need to condemn all physical violence.)

Jesus said, "And from the days of John the Baptist until now the Kingdom of the Heavens is forcibly treated, and forceful men seize it."

We need to ratchet up our intensity and fierce determination in prayer and in making our Pro-Life convictions known to whomever will hear, in front of the abortion clinic, on university campuses, at City Hall, at the State Capital, in Washington, at the polls.

Abortion is murder. It is genocide.

The killing stops now.

Posted by: Ed at December 27, 2009 7:54 PM

The biggest anti-life story of 2009 occurred on January 20, when Obama was inaugurated.

This event unleashed the demons of hell on our country.

Posted by: Phil Schembri is Hisman at December 27, 2009 8:52 PM

Phil - how many babies has Obama aborted?

We say we're a "Christian nation", yet the abortion rates quoted on the post above are what they are? And Obama is the one to blame for it?

Maybe we should pray that all the people who say they love the Lord would adhere to a few of his principles - that would be a good start. Stop blaming politicians for the poor choices people make. That would be another nice step.

Posted by: Ex-GOP Voter at December 27, 2009 9:34 PM

Ex:

The government is instituted by God and it does not include legal abortion.

Legal abortion is the result of politicians' rebellion towards a holy God.

They bear responsibility and will suffer the consequences of their rebellion just as the people who perform and have abortions, apart from repentance.

Theology 101.

Posted by: Phil Schembri is Hisman at December 27, 2009 10:23 PM

Not to mention, abortion is the killing of an innocent human, regardless of your religious affiliation or lack thereof, and must be stopped, even if you're just a dirty 'ol atheist like me.

Posted by: xalisae at December 27, 2009 11:13 PM

even if you're just a dirty 'ol atheist like me.

Posted by: xalisae at December 27, 2009 11:13 PM

LOL!

Xalisae you're too funny! I'm sorry for not acknowledging the devotion, commitment and passion of all of you unbelieving, Pro-Life brothers and sisters fighting this noble cause with us believers.

I realize this sounds corny but I count it a privilege and an honor to fight at your side.

You are precious.

(And on one hand, I feel I should apologize for all my Bible-thumping which must be pretty annoying at times. But on the other hand, you must know my ultimate goal is to convert you to our side :)

Have a great night!

Posted by: Ed at December 27, 2009 11:52 PM

X:

I doubt you are a true atheist.

I think you just don't believe in the god of man's making which I can say I don't blame you one bit.

Once you experience the true God, Jesus Christ, you won't be able to resist Him. My prayer is that you be open to this.

Jesus was a carpenter, that somehow was attractive to even the roughest most cynical of characters, i.e., the fishermen of the day. He was not the blue-eyed, blond hair dude you see in so many paintings. He was an ordinary guy who one could trust, could love and yes, even die for because you sensed that he hated evil, longed for justice, stood up for the weak and disadvantaged and went against the flow of a very corrupt society and yes, was zealous to do his father's will.

Posted by: Phil Schembri is Hisman at December 28, 2009 2:11 AM

Ex - You bring up some great points. Let's take 'em one by one, shall we?

Phil - how many babies has Obama aborted?

While BO isn't an abortionist, he is without question the most pro-abortion politician in the history of our country. His extensive pro-death legislative record, including votes against the Partial Birth Anortion Ban and the Born Alive Infant Protection Act (which I believe he was the only state senator to vote against) is long, well-documented and need not be repeated here.

By his own admission, he would rather kill his own grandson or granddaughter rather than help his daughters raise him/her or at least help them carry the child to term and put them up for adoption.

He is a lost, wicked man in desperate need of prayer.

Great point. Obama isn't to blame. He was elected by a backslidden church that sadly confused his charisma with character.

You nailed it there Ex-GOP. 2 Chronicles 7.14 is our quickest route out of this mess. The good brethren down at the International House of Prayer in Kansas City have been praying for abortion to stop and revival to break out in America, around the clock, for 10 years. God has begun to pour out His Spirit and the Church is waking up. (To hear a testimony from one of the worshippers there, Shelly, who received a vision 3 weeks ago of what Christ is doing in the Church today, follow the link, select Friday Evening (2 of 2) and use your cursor to select the :37 minute mark.)

Stop blaming politicians for the poor choices people make. Again Ex, you nailed it. Many of the politicians in our government today, including BO, are the result of bad choices we have made. We are stuck with them now for the duration of their term so we must pray for them.

Posted by: Ed at December 28, 2009 4:26 AM

Christians are to concerned about themselves to do anything about the abortion issue. Christians haven't been properly taught about the life in the church, rather, we're fed this feel-good gospal. So No wonder Christ is throwing up! The church has gotten sorry in its witnessing! Read Revelation 3:14-18, and you'll see what I'm talking about! RJ

Posted by: RJ Sandefur at December 28, 2009 9:21 AM

Ed,

I know that you were talking to X but I thought that your letter was very nice. I'm an agnostic/atheist, too, so it's nice that you acknowledged the secular pro-lifers. :)

Posted by: Vannah at December 28, 2009 11:46 AM

Blessings and good wishes to ALL prolifers in the coming year. Like Ed said we welcome those who are non-believers in this fight against the slaughter of innocent, unborn babies. Thank you Xalisae and Vannah for sharing your insights although we do not agree on every point I appreciate your posts regarding protecting human life.

Best Pro-life story- Probably majority of Americans consider themselves PROLIFE. Most Anti-life story-Obama's Presidency which if the enemy of life, Satan, has his way will cause more deaths to the unborn for years to come than anything we have experienced so far. God help us.

Posted by: Prolifer L at December 28, 2009 12:46 PM

Best pro-life: The personhood movement, or the shift in public opinion.
Best anti-life: The assassination of Tiller.

Posted by: Nulono at December 28, 2009 1:37 PM

Phil - thanks for the well thought out response.

A couple of follow-ups -

Do you have a link to Obama's quotes on his daughters? I think I knew the quote, but the only one I can find about being "punished" with a baby was in relation to education and birth control - so that really doesn't have anything to do with abortion and I think is a valid (though crudely worded) statement.

Let me hit on the next statement you made a bit more and I'd like your thoughts on this.

I voted GOP in every Presidential election until Bush's second term, when I went independent. I went Obama in 2008, though voted GOP for senate in our state.

Now, concerning abortion, I feel like the GOP has pimped out the Christian vote a bit. GOP had the presidency for what, 20 out of 28 years, and what sort of progress was made on abortion laws? What bills did anybody try to pass? And is the current GOP strategy still to overturn RvWade and then leave it to the states? If so, South Dakota(!) didn't even pass a law when it came up - so what's the goal? That a few states won't have abortion and we can just traffic women all over the country?

I think it was quite fine for a Christian to vote Obama, and a lot did - because on issues like poverty, health care bills, the war - a lot of Christians agree with the Dems on (at least these days). So I don't think it's people falling away from Christ - I think it's the GOP talking the talk, but not walking the walk.

Don't worry, they will make gains in 2010, but it was a massive price to pay if HC reform passes.

On the last two things, we agreed, and rightfully so. I still contend that one of the main things that could kill the abortion industry is if all people who call themselves Christians stopped getting pregnant and having abortions.

Posted by: Ex-GOP Voter at December 28, 2009 5:49 PM

Vannah!

You and X are the most way cool atheist/agnostic Pro-Lifers on the Planet!

You hang out on the coolest blog. You put up with our Christian rants. You're always so respectful and trying to believe the best about BO while we trash him. (I agree with you by the way. I think it is tragic that our first African American President has to be so hostile to life. He's just totally ignorant and blind to the plight of the unborn. Anyway, back to you and X:)

And when X knows she's right about something, watch out, she knows how to let the pro-death mob have it with both barrels. I think I posted something yesterday about our need to be militant. You and X pass that test with flying colors.

I honestly believe that no matter what happens with this Health Care bill, our movement is really starting to gather momentum and traction. In fact, if federal funds are used to pay for abortions, I think you'll hear a Pro-Life Battle Cry from coast to coast that will shake the country. Again I think we're finally going to see the tide turn in our favor in the next coming years and it's going to be a blast fighting for the lives of babies with you and X.

I want to ask all of the Christians out there reading this post to take a moment and pray for you two. If they have a prayer list or prayer chain at their church, I'd like them to add you guys to it.

You guys get preached to enough reading our posts but I just want you to know that we really, really, really, really care about you two. We want you to know the love that God has for you is higher than the stars in the heavens, deeper than the oceans, and more pure than the driven snow. I pray that the eyes of your hearts will be opened and that the Light of the Glorious Gospel of Jesus Christ will shine in your hearts and that you both receive a revelation of God's Love for you.

If either of you ever need anything or if you'd like to chat off line, we're here for you.

Peace.

Posted by: Ed at December 28, 2009 8:05 PM

Hey Ex,

This is Ed and allow me to briefly reply to your comments (I've got some work I've got to get done yet tonight.)

Yes, having listened again to Obama's "punished with a baby" speech, he didn't explicitly say he would encourage them to have an abortion, but I believe the implication is there. You're right, the context was abstinence and ethics education, contraception and "supposedly" if his daughters followed his instruction / recommendations, they wouldn't get STD's or pregnant. Then, if they make a mistake, he doesn't want them (or he and Michelle) punished with the responsibility of having to provide for and care for a baby.

We can split hairs about what BO's intent was but his hostility toward unwanted unborn children is made abundantly clear by his legislative voting record.

He is one evil dude.

On your second point, I appreciate your sincere desire to vote in a matter consistent with your Christian conscience. For me, the Pro-Life issue is so huge, and BO is so blatently pro-death, going even beyond NARAL and other pro-death orgs. to deny even a precious little infant the small comfort that might be provided by medical care as he or she gasps his or her last breaths following a botched abortion. He is evil and I couldn't consider voting for him.

As far as your other points are concerned, I am Pro-Life, pro-marriage, pro-family, want smaller government, lower taxes, and a strong military so I vote for the person that shares those opinions and they more often than not are GOP. I fully beleive we need to be compassionate and give to the poor and needy but I believe that can be done much more efficiently by Non-Governmental Organizations.

But if you read my posts, I'm not much on government and politics although I do my civic duty as an informed voter.

I'm more about seeing the Kingdom of Heaven manifested in the Earth. I want to see the Church of the Lord Jesus Christ do what He commanded us to do.

Peace.

Posted by: Ed at December 28, 2009 9:35 PM

Ed - thanks for the response.

I agree, as little government as possible - unfortunately, the economic meltdown has me thinking more and more that businesses left to themselves are as dangerous as government overreaching. The Bible lays it out clear - greed leads to downfall.

Posted by: Ex-GOP Voter at December 28, 2009 9:57 PM

You got it Ex, there can be corruption and error either way, pick your poison.

The answer is the Church of the Lord Jesus Christ doing 2Chr 7.14, waking up, becoming salt and light, demonstrating Righteousness, Justice and Compassion and stemming the tide of evil in our land.

Posted by: Ed at December 28, 2009 10:30 PM

Thanks for all the suggestions. If there are more, keep them coming. I'm writing my WND column on this.

Posted by: Jill Stanek at December 29, 2009 12:26 PM

Not a top story in the MSM, but it should be....

Planned Parenthood's best kept secret - a new 7-story facility in Houston. Children will be aborted through 25 weeks. This killing center for the Americas will be a veritable cash cow for Planned Parenthood.

Posted by: Janet at December 29, 2009 12:56 PM

***See http://www.texasfamilies.org for more information on the PP Houston Project

Posted by: Janet at December 29, 2009 12:58 PM

Thank you for all of your well-wishes, everyone. It really means so much to me. If God is love, I see God in every one of you. You've all succeeded in being Godly individuals. :)

Also...Ex...how much sense does it make in one breath to say that you believe in limited government, and then in the next penalize the GOP for NOT creating more legislation? When has MORE legislation resulted in less government?

Posted by: xalisae at December 29, 2009 9:49 PM

xalisae -

I'm saying it from a conflicted mind...in general, I think everyone wants small government. Unfortunately, while I think that it is a good goal, I think what we recently saw in the economic meltdown showed that business left alone will put greed above stability. So I'm conflicted, that's all.

Posted by: Ex-GOP Voter at December 29, 2009 10:06 PM

"...I think everyone wants small government."

Wow...you're rather naïve. If you cannot see that it is a clear objective of those in power right now (whom you helped elect, by the way) to increase the size, scope, and power of the federal government beyond anything this country has ever seen to date...just...wow.

Posted by: xalisae at December 29, 2009 11:56 PM

xalisae -

Quite frankly, I think it's quick and easy for hard core right wingers to turn their nose up at the left and say things like that - but when the right gets a chance to govern, they act like Democrats with less financial restraint. I agree with Huckabee when he called the GOP "budget busters" - they talk this cute game of no taxes, but then spend like teen age girls at the mall. You talk about expansion of government to me - and I suppose you're probably talking about healthcare. If you are, then you're talking with blinders on and need to read up on Bush's medicare expansion, if you are talking health care and you truly believe that this administration is expanding..."beyond anything this country has seen..."

I do think though that in general, people would like less government. Unfortunately, it you think beyond the cute little bumper sticker sayings of it, you have to ask yourself "then whom am I putting my trust in". Enron? AIG? Fannie Mae? Yeah...THAT would be a fine idea!

Posted by: Ex-GOP Voter at December 30, 2009 6:31 AM