(Prolifer)ations 1-14-10

Thumbnail image for blog buzz.jpg

by Susie Allen

[JLS note: I am pleased to introduce Susie as our new (Prolifer)ations poster! Susie will be writing this column on Tuesdays and Thursdays Fridays, spotlighting important information gleaned from other pro-life blogs. Susie is well-known to the TN pro-life community as president of Robertson Co. RTL. She's a prolific reader, writer, and speaker on the life issue.]

• At MommyLife.net, blogger Barbara Curtis's daughter tried out for this season's American Idol on January 12 and is going to Hollywood! This video of Maddy trying out gives a wonderful testimony about her family and her brothers with Down syndrome...

• NationalProLifeRadio.net reports on a LifeNews.com story that Liberty Council would file a legal challenge against any passed healthcare bill as "unconstitutional, because Congress lacks the authority to mandate insurance coverage for individuals or private businesses."
  • Not Dead Yet is publishing a journal, "A disability perspective on the issue of physician assisted suicide."

The special issue is a response to the American Public Health Association's controversial 2008 decision to back "aid in dying" (i.e., assisted suicide).

While this slipped almost completely under the media's radar, it means the official policy of the "oldest, largest and most diverse organization of public health professionals in the world" - 30K of them - will support assisted suicide to the hilt. Or, as they prefer to call it in OR, "patient-directed dying" or "physician aid-in-dying."

Rather than worrying about some ambiguous language in the Obama administration's health reform legislation or scrutinizing the publications of his health advisors for a few indiscreet phrases, the elderly and their families really ought to be worried about the 30K of the APHA. They are the ones who could be sitting on the "death panels."

• a rat is a pig is a dog is a boy.png

• At Second Hand Smoke Wesley Smith reports his new book, "A rat is a pig is a dog is a boy: The human cost of the animal rights movement," is due out in February.

This book adds substantially to the debate and particularly helps clarify the crucial difference between animal rights and animal welfare, as it focuses us on the importance of human exceptionalism.

Like every antidemocratic ideology, this one (animal rights) is by definition antihuman, and like any antihuman ideology, it ultimately deteriorates into a nihilistic bitterness that is anti-life.

• "There's a reason it's called natural birth," says ProWomanProLife.org, wondering why there are so many C-sections around the world they're called "epidemic." Reasons for elective C-sections vary globally, but increasing rates in many developing countries coincide with a rise in patients' wealth and improved medical facilities.
  • StandForLife.net has a 2-part video up, "Catherine's amazing testimony of abortion and redemption." Very compelling story from Passion for Christ for young ladies.

• Comments:

Boy, if she makes it to the voting I will, for the first time, actually watch and vote for someone. She has a beautiful voice and that was a great song choice.

Posted by: Kristen at January 14, 2010 7:10 PM

I'd rather have a c-section than a pitocin induced labor and forceps delivery.

Hypnobirthing in a birthing pool sounds nice, but the moment they try to have me labor on my back in a hospital bed with lamaze breathing to "destract" me from the pain and tell me when to push(which causes tearing) is the moment I see a c-section as more desirable.

Posted by: Ella at January 14, 2010 7:24 PM

I am proud of you Maddy!! What a beautiful, inspiring family you have!!

Posted by: carla Author Profile Page at January 14, 2010 9:06 PM

Yay for Maddy!

Posted by: Scott Johnston at January 15, 2010 12:19 AM

Just as an FYI Ella, sounds like you need to have a mother-centered and family-centered childbirth with a Certified Nurse-Midwife (CNM)that does labor support or a Certified Doula (CD)(professional labor assistant) that gives one-on-one labor support. The description you gave sounds like a horrible high-tech, assembly-line obstetrical delivery. Check out the doula website dona.org, water births, the new updated version of Lamaze at their lamaze.org website (no longer major focus on breathing), American College of Nurse Midwives (ACNM) and icea.org (International Childbirth Education Asso). Good alternatives are available but you must choose you healthcare provider, labor support, childbirth education and your hospital carefully. You can do it. God bless. Read The Doula Advantage, can find it at dona.org.

Posted by: Prolifer L at January 15, 2010 1:24 AM

Welcome, Susie!! :)

Posted by: carla Author Profile Page at January 15, 2010 5:58 AM

Wow, great work Maddie! I might actually have to watch Idol again for the first time in years.

What a great testament to Barbara and the whole Curtis family. They're cranking out some top-notch kids!

Posted by: Matt Yonke at January 15, 2010 9:35 AM

Hot scoop ... and you can google your way there, or find it on my blog. Martha Coakley (Massachusetts Senate Candidate) has very plainly stated that Devout Catholics should not be working in Emergency Rooms, during an interview with Ken Pittman.

Off to send this to Drudge...

Posted by: pharmer at January 15, 2010 10:15 AM

The problem I have with Lamaze is that it focuses on mainly just getting through the pain rather than preventing it. Everyone I know who's done it has ended up with an epidural and everything that goes along with it(instructed pushing, having to remain in bed, assisted delivery, tearing, etc). With techniques that use hypnosis(such as hypnobabies and hypnobirthing) relaxation techniques are used to prevent the resistance to the contractions that causes the pain to begin with. The body is then able to do what is has to, resulting in a shorter easier birth. Also, because drugs are rarely needed women can do as they wish birth in a more effecient way, such as in a pool or squating after user a birthing ball. There are many women who used hypnosis who felt no pain.

Posted by: Ella at January 15, 2010 10:20 AM

ProLifer L,

I so wish I had known about doulas when I delivered. I would have loved to have had a nurturing woman by my side who knew what to expect from the birthing process. Doctors and nurses get busy tending to many women at once and don't always have time to give much individual attention. There were about ten babies delivered that day.

Posted by: Janet at January 15, 2010 10:56 AM

You can find Coakley's interview on the drudgereport now. :-)

Posted by: pharmer at January 15, 2010 11:07 AM

I thought it was great when the judges told Maddy that, unlike most sixteen year olds, she was "not annoying!" Perhaps it is because her beautiful family has taught her so well what is really important in life. Best of luck to her!

Posted by: Jeanne Gawdun at January 15, 2010 1:24 PM

If I had only known.....with my fourth and final babe I had a midwife, a doula and a water birth!! What an amazing difference it made for me!

Posted by: carla Author Profile Page at January 15, 2010 3:20 PM

@ Carla: wow very nice indeed!
    I used a labor tub for my 3rd child - that was awesome

Maddy's parents adopted two/three DS children after having one of their own.
    Proof that DS is not a miserable existence requiring these children be aborted....

Posted by: angel at January 15, 2010 8:59 PM

Ella, I share your concerns with Lamaze. The hyperventilation caused by the ineffective breathing patterns they recommend (or at least did? I don't keep up with Lamaze because I don't recommend it) can cause fetal distress.

A good Bradley childbirth program and/or hypnobirthing is a far safer and more effective route to go... Bradley's c-sec rate is about 3%, which is in line with what is known about the number of women who will actually NEED a csection.

Posted by: Elisabeth at January 18, 2010 2:52 PM