New law requires woman to name baby, paint nursery before getting abortion

One of my family members is known for frequently exaggerating another's point to infinity and beyond in an attempt to shut down debate. Yes, my husband can sometimes become so absurd he makes me laugh.

And so it is with the Onion News Network, which is all about news hyperbole, and no topic is safe from being skewered. Recall its 2007 piece, "New abortion bill to require fetal consent" (which, sorry to say, is no longer available online).

The Onion is taking another jab at abortion, launching from the pro-life premise that viewing ultrasounds before abortion may persuade a mother against it. I confess I got laughs from "New law requires woman to name baby, paint nursery before getting abortion" despite the topic...

Comments:

I didn't find this to be a jab at abortion from the pro-life side. But rather just a comedic view of abortion, period, leaving me with the sense that any pro-lifer who advocates that women think longer and harder about having an abortion are simply wasting their time.

I am left with the creepy feeling that life is so devalued, that jokes about abortion are now okay, jokes about women's hesitation and feelings towards abortion simply make them all seem so irrelevant. It's as if they are simply saying "get on with life, who cares about abortion?"

Posted by: Julie Culshaw at January 15, 2010 7:45 AM

It points out the absurdity of regulating abortion.

All the laws that end with, "and then you can kill the baby"
undermine the God-given, inalienable right to life.

Posted by: Leslie Hanks at January 15, 2010 10:23 AM

Jill: I think this perfectly skewers the ridiculous nature of so called abortion restrictions that end with "and then you can kill the baby". I'm surprised that you, as an abortion regulator who supports such laws can't see that you are being justly ridiculed.

Posted by: Doug McBurney at January 15, 2010 3:55 PM

I'm not so sure that pro-lifers should be offended by this video. I think the other side is portrayed as foolish. The fact that abortion is legal at all speaks volumes about pro-aborts and pro-choicers and in a way, this video highlights the absurdity of the abortion CHOICE.

Posted by: Janet at January 15, 2010 5:37 PM

WLS Radio News- Chicago is reporting this afternoon that Dan Hynes, State Comptroller for Illinois (and running for Governor) is working to create a Roe v. Wade type of law for Illinois. Not surprising, he is a graduate of two Catholic Universities, Notre Dame and Loyola University, Chicago. Has anyone seen this on any other news outlets?

Posted by: Janet at January 15, 2010 5:43 PM

This video helps me realize how much we have been pushed into a corner,; forced to argue in their terms.

It does not mock any particular argument in my opinion. There is the absurd reality that in the abortion debate the child is so ignored. The idea that we even discuss the child is peculiar. The current debate is premised on the idea that abortion is the woman's choice, thanks to Roe v Wade. So, we engage in a push for informed choice legislation... how odd.

There's also the comical unintended consequence, that in deciding to inform their choice we are also telling them that the child is a baby.

Its a shame that we have to argue in terms of their assumptions.

Posted by: Michael at January 15, 2010 9:11 PM

The pregnant woman consents, though not always fully informed, but her prenatal child, though never consulted and never consenting, is fully informed of the violent act of abortion.

yor bro ken

Posted by: kbhvac at January 16, 2010 7:51 AM

Ha - I love the Onion.

Posted by: Ex-GOP Voter at January 17, 2010 10:41 AM

Only because you think it's a factual, legitimate news source. You (like most other uninformed voters) probably also get your real news from a fake comedy show (The Daily Show), and think Tina Fey is the real Sarah Palin.

Posted by: xalisae at January 17, 2010 11:59 AM

Aw, X, The Onion can be pretty funny!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QgXObaM9i2Q [some profanity]