“Unborn baby” or “Fetus”? It depends on the audience

… or perhaps it depends on the editor. Despite the tragic story it was reporting, The Tenneseean still had to maintain political correctness when reporting it in its print edition in liberal Nashville:
fetus unborn slide 2.JPG
But when reporting the story online The Tennessean went the compassionate route…

fetus unborn slide 1.JPG
MSM is also stymied when reporting on the deaths of born babies, sometimes calling them fetuses as well, which is absolutely linguistically incorrect, although, of course, politically correct, which is more important to so many of them.
[HT: reader Susie A.]

87 thoughts on ““Unborn baby” or “Fetus”? It depends on the audience”

Hal says:

I’m sorry the unborn baby/fetus was killed in this accident. I’m also sorry the five others were killed. I honestly couldn’t care less if the unborn baby is called an unborn baby or a fetus. Both are correct. Fetus might be more technically correct, but it seems heartless to argue over terms when such a tragedy takes place.

Chris Arsenault says:

Hal If Obama calls a born baby a fetus – which he does, then his supporters will too…
    It’s where it goes…if a class of people can be eliminated because of how they are labeled, then the opposition can as well.

Jill Stanek says:

Hal, consider the mother of this baby, who is still alive. Are you concerned about her feelings? Which do you think she prefers her 33 week old baby be called?

Hal says:

Chris, I just don’t see calling a pre-born baby a fetus in a newspaper article as a political act. Fetus is not a bad word.

Hal says:

Jill, I’m all for compassion. If using one word instead of the other would help, I guess I’m okay with that. However, I really doubt the grieving mother would care.

Janet says:

What a tragic story. My heart goes out to all families involved. God bless you.

Alex says:

That’s not the point, Hal. It is a tragedy, of course. The point made by Jill is to focus on the word games. It is entirely possible that it was not done on purpose and the editors were not trying to push an agenda.
    It is more likely an effect than a cause.
    The reality is that the word games are ultimately a HUGE factor in the war that us pro-lifers fight. Anybody who has ever used the terms ‘anti-choice’, ‘pro-abortion’, ‘extremist’ or ‘comprehensive reproductive health care’. Knows that pushing the wrong word can push the wrong message. Some people, like those of us involved (and very possibly the editors of the paper) did look into this fact.
    The truth is that the media guides how Americans think. Can you imagine the implications if it said “Six People Die in Crash”? If that catches on, the Roe v. Wade is immediately on its heels, believe it or not. The Supreme and lower Courts very often look to dictionaries and common usages of terms to make their decisions. If the Court had long ago done so and decided that ‘person’ included unborn babies/fetuses, we would have a very different battle.
    Word games matter – and ‘anti-lifers’ know it.

Desley says:

Hal @ 11:20
    “However, I really doubt the grieving mother would care.”
    Oh, you are so out of touch with a woman’s heart. Of course she would care. It’s a slap in her face. Unless, of course, “fetus” really means a person…a child that she loved. You know, kind of like how the media might report on the death of an adolescent or infant.
    But of that were the case, we would mot likely run into some trouble when trying to kill the fetus in the clinics and hospitals.
    The fact is, the way the word fetus is tossed around in our culture is belittling and insensitive to any woman who’s ever lost her unborn child.

Alex says:

Actually, isn’t Planned Parenthood currently trying to sway the public on what the word ‘conception’ means if i remember right. Not fertilization anymore? If one were to read up on morning after pills (newspaper, magazine, whatever), I’ll bet you’d see some lingo games.

10. Strict Standards: Only variables should be assigned by reference in /home/jills/public_html/wp/wp-content/plugins/subscribe-to-comments/subscribe-to-comments.php on line 590
    Carla says:

Hal,
    Of course, the grieving mother cares!! Sorry, Hal but I wouldn’t expect you to put yourself in the shoes of a woman who just lost a child.
    When I was grieving our miscarriages I never called my friends to say, “I just lost the fetus.”

11. Strict Standards: Only variables should be assigned by reference in /home/jills/public_html/wp/wp-content/plugins/subscribe-to-comments/subscribe-to-comments.php on line 590
    reality says:

What’s wrong with calling it a fetus?

12. Strict Standards: Only variables should be assigned by reference in /home/jills/public_html/wp/wp-content/plugins/subscribe-to-comments/subscribe-to-comments.php on line 590
    Elsa Marina Cruz says:

FRom: Elsa Marina Cruz
    RE: “Unborn baby” or “Fetus”? It depends on the audience
    TO: Jill Staneck
    Date: October 28, 2008
    Dear Jill
    I have placed my self in the shoes of the mother of this baby. That is exactly what I have explained in my previous blog in regards to “22 WEEKS” the movie trailer.
    As a woman that have had abortions, and learned and repented about the value of all life, I have a different point of view than most people that have not had and lived thru an abortion.
    I think the most appropriate term would be that of which you say …..”Which do you think she prefers 33 week old baby be called?
    Fetus or Unborn Baby.
    To me the answer is clear. Unborn Baby. This reminds me of another song I wrote called “MOTHERLESS CHILD” this song I also wrote while I was repenting for my abortions done. Motherless child speaks about a mothers guilt and sorrow after a legal abortion.
    My prayers and wishes to all ;your subscribers with all due Respect, Love and Understanding. God Bless People like Jill that make a difference in our world for ever and ever.
    Sincerely
    Marina

13. Strict Standards: Only variables should be assigned by reference in /home/jills/public_html/wp/wp-content/plugins/subscribe-to-comments/subscribe-to-comments.php on line 590
    lauren says:

Hal, my cousin’s baby died inside of her at about 30 weeks. They dressed him and had a funeral. In fact, the funeral home does funerals free of charge for parents who lose children to stillbirth.
    I can tell you with certainty that my cousin considered her child a “baby” and would have been deeply hurt had someone said “well the fetus died”. It dehumanizes the loss. Perhaps if we labeled all stages of development, there would be nothing wrong, but we don’t. We don’t use medical classifications for various age groups in standard writing unless they happen to be pre-born.

14. Strict Standards: Only variables should be assigned by reference in /home/jills/public_html/wp/wp-content/plugins/subscribe-to-comments/subscribe-to-comments.php on line 590
    LizFromNebraska says:

When Laci Peterson was killed, her unborn child who died with her was already named: Connor. Not fetus, but Connor.
    33 weeks can survive outside the womb with some care. Its a baby.
    “the baby kicked today” or “the baby is hiccuping” makes more sense than “the fetus kicked today”

15. Strict Standards: Only variables should be assigned by reference in /home/jills/public_html/wp/wp-content/plugins/subscribe-to-comments/subscribe-to-comments.php on line 590
    Desley says:

“That’s crazy. There’s nothing wrong with the word “fetus.” I know plenty of women who’ve lost wanted pregnancies and have never objected to the word “fetus.”
    Really…Somehow I find that hard to swallow.
    I have a death certificate hanging on my wall for my unborn son who passed. It says, “Baby Elam”, thus validating my loss. It does not say “Fetus Elam”. There’s a big difference.
    You may want to look at this…

16. Strict Standards: Only variables should be assigned by reference in /home/jills/public_html/wp/wp-content/plugins/subscribe-to-comments/subscribe-to-comments.php on line 590
    Janet says:

Carla,
    Thank you for the link. How refreshing!
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
    Liz,
    Lately, pro-lifers are encouraging pregnant women to name their unborn baby before it is born in order to stress the fact that what they are carrying is a unique human being. I think Priests For Life is one group doing so.

17. Strict Standards: Only variables should be assigned by reference in /home/jills/public_html/wp/wp-content/plugins/subscribe-to-comments/subscribe-to-comments.php on line 590
    Janet says:

Carla, Thank you for the link. How refreshing!
    I didn’t mean to to ignore the tragedy of the story. Let me re-phrase my response. How refreshing that this writer is not afraid to call the unborn child an “unborn sister”, when so many writers are worried about political correctness.

18. Strict Standards: Only variables should be assigned by reference in /home/jills/public_html/wp/wp-content/plugins/subscribe-to-comments/subscribe-to-comments.php on line 590
    Janet says:

Desley @ 12:27,
    I am sorry for your loss. God bless you.

19. Strict Standards: Only variables should be assigned by reference in /home/jills/public_html/wp/wp-content/plugins/subscribe-to-comments/subscribe-to-comments.php on line 590
    Carla says:

Janet,
    I knew what you meant. :)

20. Strict Standards: Only variables should be assigned by reference in /home/jills/public_html/wp/wp-content/plugins/subscribe-to-comments/subscribe-to-comments.php on line 590
    Carla says:

For all intents and purposes it is generally left up to the mother to decide how one refers to her child. Some may be fine with calling their baby a fetus, others are not. A little sensitivity never hurt anyone!
    I remember someone saying to me after the loss of one of my babies…”at least you hadn’t really gotten to know it.” I would have rather taken a punch in the stomach than someone calling my child an IT!!

21. Strict Standards: Only variables should be assigned by reference in /home/jills/public_html/wp/wp-content/plugins/subscribe-to-comments/subscribe-to-comments.php on line 590
    Chris says:

“There’s nothing wrong with the word ‘fetus.'”
    This is true. But what Jill is pointing out is that in one place they called it a fetus, when they called it a baby in another place. And because everything else is word-for-word the same, this indicates that the author made a very definite choice to replace one word with another.
    Jill is just pointing this out and speculating on why.

22. Strict Standards: Only variables should be assigned by reference in /home/jills/public_html/wp/wp-content/plugins/subscribe-to-comments/subscribe-to-comments.php on line 590
    jtm says:

The word ‘foetus'(fetus) is Latin for “little one”, so it essentially means baby, or offspring.
    But its hijacking and abuse for purposes of depersonalizing the youngest, weakest and most vulnerable members of the human community to justify their destruction by the proaborts is despicable.
    And it doesn’t even really designate a period of prenatal development; children born prematurely are still given “baby” showers, not “fetus” showers…

23. Strict Standards: Only variables should be assigned by reference in /home/jills/public_html/wp/wp-content/plugins/subscribe-to-comments/subscribe-to-comments.php on line 590
    Kristen says:

If calling the baby a “fetus” in this story is okay and words don’t matter than why do so many people care if we call them pro-aborts? Or why do they insist on calling us “anti-choicers?”

24. Strict Standards: Only variables should be assigned by reference in /home/jills/public_html/wp/wp-content/plugins/subscribe-to-comments/subscribe-to-comments.php on line 590
    Chris Arsenault says:

reality at October 28, 2008 12:00 PM
    —-
    Okay reality you’re a fetus.

25. Strict Standards: Only variables should be assigned by reference in /home/jills/public_html/wp/wp-content/plugins/subscribe-to-comments/subscribe-to-comments.php on line 590
    Chris Arsenault says:

Okay – it’s a fetus, and killing them is called abortion – not “choice”.
    Words – just words.

26. Strict Standards: Only variables should be assigned by reference in /home/jills/public_html/wp/wp-content/plugins/subscribe-to-comments/subscribe-to-comments.php on line 590
    Patricia says:

Posted by: Hal at October 28, 2008 11:20 AM
    Ya think not!? It would matter to me and I think to most moms.
    The reason fetus is used instead of baby is quite obvious.
    The proabort liberal feminists do not want to leave the perception that they are giving ANY ground to the idea that BEFORE birth – it’s actually a baby. People abort before birth – they abort a fetus according to the proaborts, not a baby – it’s not a baby, it’s less than a baby – it’s a fetus. So to call “it” a baby would mean that people just might be killing a real baby when they abort. Get it? And we wouldn’t want the 43% of women of childbearing age and their partners who have committed abortion, to feel bad about this now, would we.
    It’s soooo cool how they play around with language to get their ideology across. NOT.

27. Strict Standards: Only variables should be assigned by reference in /home/jills/public_html/wp/wp-content/plugins/subscribe-to-comments/subscribe-to-comments.php on line 590
    HisMan says:

An e-mail from a friend:
    “To the person saying that “we must accept God’s will and even if our candidate does not get elected, it is not for us to question His judgement”: You are very naive and need to study your Bible just a little bit more. The Bible does not say that we need to take a passive stance….”No weapon formed against us will prosper…” Isaiah 54:17.
    Hello? Anybody in there? This election is more of a spiritual battle than you may realize and we, as Christians need to Pray for the RIGHT man to be in office and not be passive about this. Do your homework…Obama is a crook, he is deceptive, he is inexperienced, he is un-American, he doesn’t love this country and the “Change” that he wants is not something that we, as Americans, need.”
    “No surprise here. The media have slammed McCain at every opportunity and have engaged in a downright smear campaign against Sarah Palin. Obama is the next thing to the Almighty Himself in the media’s eyes. And to the lady/gentleman who suggested that if Obama is elected,it’s God will. Nonsense. God does not support abortion or sodomy like Obama does. Remember what the Bible says,”When the righteous rule,the people rejoice. When the wicked rule,the people mourn”. McCain has his faults for sure but he is preferable to Obama.”
    “Someone mentioned God’s will on this thread. First of all, God is not in charge at this time, He is completely aware, however. We are still being given free will and if we choose to elect Obama, it is our decision, not necessarily His. It was never God’s will for the human race to fail but we knew more than Him so he allowed us to go our own way. Of course, when He returns, all of that will change. In the mean time, if we choose to elect Obama, it is our will. I don’t believe He really wants someone who is willing to murder babies out of convenience, be this Nation’s leader for the next 4 to eight years. Just my opinion, based on Biblical teachings. I am not a Bible thumper but I do have God given common sense. David”
    “I find it very telling just how quickly many so called Christians rush to the defence of a man, who, “in his own words” denies the exclusiveness of Jesus Christ, supports unrestricted abortion full term and supports the homosexual agenda unashamedly. The apostle Paul speaks very clearly of these people and these times in II Timothy 3:1-9. What a screaming indictment of the lukewarm and watered down Gospel taught in America! Sad days indeed.””

28. Strict Standards: Only variables should be assigned by reference in /home/jills/public_html/wp/wp-content/plugins/subscribe-to-comments/subscribe-to-comments.php on line 590
    Hal says:

HisMan, your “friend” writes a lot like you.

29. Strict Standards: Only variables should be assigned by reference in /home/jills/public_html/wp/wp-content/plugins/subscribe-to-comments/subscribe-to-comments.php on line 590
    PPC says:

Hal, His Man has a lot of imaginary friends…

30. Strict Standards: Only variables should be assigned by reference in /home/jills/public_html/wp/wp-content/plugins/subscribe-to-comments/subscribe-to-comments.php on line 590
    Yo La Tengo says:

Compassionate? No. Compassionate would be making a funeral luncheon or sending flowers. This is just playing to the groundlings.

31. Strict Standards: Only variables should be assigned by reference in /home/jills/public_html/wp/wp-content/plugins/subscribe-to-comments/subscribe-to-comments.php on line 590
    Janet says:

HisMan @ 4:16,
    Here’s Eduardo again:http://www.durarealidad.com/
    The MSM says Hispanics tend to be voting for Obama over McCain. Do you know if this is true for your state?

32. Strict Standards: Only variables should be assigned by reference in /home/jills/public_html/wp/wp-content/plugins/subscribe-to-comments/subscribe-to-comments.php on line 590
    HisMan says:

HisMan, your “friend” writes a lot like you.
    Posted by: Hal at October 28, 2008 3:50 PM
    Hal, His Man has a lot of imaginary friends…
    Posted by: PPC at October 28, 2008 4:14 PM
    __________________
    Sorry Hal and PPC: I’m not a plagarist like Joe Biden.
    And PPC, it is evident that the 14,000+ Pike’s Peak altitude has resulted in brain damage. Or you might want to try Hyberbaric Chamber therapy on the few brain cells that are left.
    To the others:
    It is all about God: http://www.coralridge.org/Vote2008-video.aspx

33. Strict Standards: Only variables should be assigned by reference in /home/jills/public_html/wp/wp-content/plugins/subscribe-to-comments/subscribe-to-comments.php on line 590
    Hal says:

I’m not sure, but AZ is in play. Yippie.

34. Strict Standards: Only variables should be assigned by reference in /home/jills/public_html/wp/wp-content/plugins/subscribe-to-comments/subscribe-to-comments.php on line 590
    HisMan says:

To you all:
    My son and his new wife just found out that they are pregnant. The baby is due in the middle of May.
    By the way Hal, this is the son that I taught to respect women and to save himself for marriage. He did. This is the son who was brought up on God’s word. He listened. This is the son who may someday be a US Senator. This is the son in whom I am well pleased because he chose to follow the Son in whom He was well pleased.
    My prayer is that my grandchild be be a lion for the truth. I am sure he or she will.
    His ways are the only ways and they work!

35. Strict Standards: Only variables should be assigned by reference in /home/jills/public_html/wp/wp-content/plugins/subscribe-to-comments/subscribe-to-comments.php on line 590
    Hal says:

Hal, His Man has a lot of imaginary friends…
    Posted by: PPC at October 28, 2008 4:14 PM
    One of them make an imaginary video about Obama. Ha.

36. Strict Standards: Only variables should be assigned by reference in /home/jills/public_html/wp/wp-content/plugins/subscribe-to-comments/subscribe-to-comments.php on line 590
    HisMan says:

Hal:
    As I have said before this election is settled in just one place that I can see, in your mind.

37. Strict Standards: Only variables should be assigned by reference in /home/jills/public_html/wp/wp-content/plugins/subscribe-to-comments/subscribe-to-comments.php on line 590
    Hal says:

HisMan, congratulations on the great news for your son and daughter and law, and you too of course. That’s wonderful.

38. Strict Standards: Only variables should be assigned by reference in /home/jills/public_html/wp/wp-content/plugins/subscribe-to-comments/subscribe-to-comments.php on line 590

all Pro Choicers and Pro life Obama supporters:
    Please note the conservative London Financial Times endoresed Obama today.
    Here’s my favoriate paragraph:
    “In responding to the economic emergency, Mr Obama has again impressed – not by advancing solutions of his own, but in displaying a calm and methodical disposition, and in seeking the best advice. Mr McCain’s hasty half-baked interventions were unnerving when they were not beside the point.”

39. Strict Standards: Only variables should be assigned by reference in /home/jills/public_html/wp/wp-content/plugins/subscribe-to-comments/subscribe-to-comments.php on line 590
    Bethany says:

When I had my miscarriages, my doctor each time told me that she was sorry that I had lost my baby. She was very kind, compassionate, and caring about my situation. She had had two miscarriages before, and knew how devastating they can be. She even gave me a pamphlet about grieving over miscarriage.
    I would have been highly offended, and never would have come back, had she referred to my baby with such an impersonal term as “fetus”.
    No, fetus is not a bad word. But saying, “I’m sorry your fetus died”, is like saying, “I’m sorry your neonate died” (referring to a born baby). Sure, it’s accurate, but cold.

40. Strict Standards: Only variables should be assigned by reference in /home/jills/public_html/wp/wp-content/plugins/subscribe-to-comments/subscribe-to-comments.php on line 590
    Kristen says:

” Mr Obama has again impressed – not by advancing solutions of his own, …”
    Posted by: Hal at October 28, 2008 5:12 PM
    Of course no solutions of his own…

41. Strict Standards: Only variables should be assigned by reference in /home/jills/public_html/wp/wp-content/plugins/subscribe-to-comments/subscribe-to-comments.php on line 590
    hal says:

Kirsten, that’s what you call taking a quote out of context. Bravo.

42. Strict Standards: Only variables should be assigned by reference in /home/jills/public_html/wp/wp-content/plugins/subscribe-to-comments/subscribe-to-comments.php on line 590
    HisMan says:

Let’s be very clear about this:
    Obama is anti-Isreal and that’s why this LA Times tape of him and Khalidi must be revealed to the public so the public can decide and this must be done before the election.
    Le’s also be clear about this:
    God’s word says this about Israel: “I will bless those who bless you and curse those who curse you”.
    One Barack Obama is a nuclear bomb in a 7% black man’s body. With Obama’s abortion stance, his voting against the Born Alive Infant Protection Act, his pro-gay views, and now his pro-Hamas, anti-Israel views we could not be in more danger as a counrty in losing God’s protection.
    Call the LA Times and demand that they release the tape and if they don;t pray that someone else release the tape and I am sure there are more than one copy out there.
    Here’s the link to the LA Times: http://www.latimes.com/services/site/la-comment-oped-cf,0,86410.customform
    Call Russ Stanton, the LA Times Editor and leave him a message: (213) 237-7000

43. Strict Standards: Only variables should be assigned by reference in /home/jills/public_html/wp/wp-content/plugins/subscribe-to-comments/subscribe-to-comments.php on line 590
    Kristen says:

Posted by: hal at October 28, 2008 5:34 PM
    Nope, that’s been Obama’s stance the entire process. “I don’t know what I’m gonna do, but gosh darn it! It’s gonna change!” :P

44. Strict Standards: Only variables should be assigned by reference in /home/jills/public_html/wp/wp-content/plugins/subscribe-to-comments/subscribe-to-comments.php on line 590
    Hal says:

HisMan, it sounds very grave. Very grave indeed. Time to pass out the tinfoil hats?
    Your alarmist attacks aren’t working this year. The American public (55% of them anyway) have learned to ignore these rants.

45. Strict Standards: Only variables should be assigned by reference in /home/jills/public_html/wp/wp-content/plugins/subscribe-to-comments/subscribe-to-comments.php on line 590
    HisMan says:

Hal, c’mon. The Londone Times, ooooooooooh!
    John McCain’s Endorsements:
    U.S. Presidents and Vice Presidents:
    President George W. Bush
    Former President George H. W. Bush[1]
    Former Vice President Dan Quayle
    U.S. Senators:
    Sen. Wayne Allard (R-CO)
    Sen. Bob Bennett (R-UT)
    Sen. Kit Bond (R-MO)
    Sen. Sam Brownback (R-KS), former 2008 presidential candidate
    Sen. Richard Burr (R-NC)
    Sen. Saxby Chambliss (R-GA)
    Sen. Tom Coburn (R-OK)
    Sen. Thad Cochran (R-MS)
    Sen. Norm Coleman (R-MN)
    Sen. Susan Collins (R-ME), Ranking Member of Senate Homeland Security Committee
    Sen. John Cornyn (R-TX)
    Sen. Pete Domenici (R-NM)
    Sen. John Ensign (R-NV)
    Sen. Lindsey Graham (R-SC)
    Sen. Orrin Hatch (R-UT)
    Sen. Kay Bailey Hutchison (R-TX)
    Sen. Johnny Isakson (R-GA)
    Sen. Jon Kyl (R-AZ), Senate Minority Whip
    Sen. Joe Lieberman (I-CT),[10] Chairman of Senate Homeland Security Committee and 2000 Democratic Vice-Presidential Nominee
    Sen. Richard Lugar (R-IN), Ranking Member of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee
    Sen. Mel Martinez (R-FL)
    Sen. Mitch McConnell (R-KY), Senate Minority Leader
    Sen. Richard Shelby (R-AL)
    Sen. Gordon Smith (R-OR), Ranking Member of Senate Aging Committee
    Sen. Olympia Snowe (R-ME), Ranking Member of Senate Small Business and Entrepreneurship Committee
    Sen. John Thune (R-SD)
    Sen. George Voinovich (R-OH)
    Sen. John Warner (R-VA), former Chairman of Senate Armed Services Committee
    Fmr. Sen. George Allen (R-VA)
    Fmr. Sen. Howard Baker (R-TN), former Senate Majority Leader and Senate Minority Leader[1]
    Fmr. Sen. Rudy Boschwitz (R-MN)
    Fmr. Sen. Conrad Burns (R-MT)
    Fmr. Sen. Dan Coats (R-IN)
    Fmr. Sen. Al D’Amato (R-NY)
    Fmr. Sen. Ben Nighthorse Campbell
    Fmr. Sen. John Danforth (R-MO) also served as Ambassador to the United Nations
    Fmr. Sen. Mike DeWine (R-OH)
    Fmr. Sen. Daniel J. Evans (R-WA), also served as Governor of Washington
    Fmr. Sen. Peter Fitzgerald (R-IL)
    Fmr. Sen. Slade Gorton (R-WA)
    Fmr. Sen. Phil Gramm (R-TX)
    Fmr. Sen. Nancy Kassebaum Baker (R-KS)
    Fmr. Sen. Bob Kasten (R-WI)
    Fmr. Sen. Trent Lott (R-MS), former Senate Majority Leader and Senate Minority Whip
    Fmr. Sen. Mack Mattingly (R-GA)
    Fmr. Sen. Don Nickles (R-OK)
    Fmr. Sen. Warren Rudman (R-NH)
    Fmr. Sen. Fred Thompson (R-TN), former 2008 presidential candidate
    U.S. Representatives:
    Rep. Spencer Bachus (R-AL)
    Rep. Michele Bachmann(R-MN)
    Rep. Michael N. Castle (R-DE)
    Rep. Tom Davis (R-VA)
    Rep. Lincoln Diaz-Balart (R-FL)
    Rep. Mario Diaz-Balart (R-FL)
    Rep. Thelma Drake (R-VA)
    Rep. Jeff Flake (R-AZ)
    Rep. Jeb Hensarling (R-TX)
    Rep. Ric Keller (R-FL)
    Rep. Mark Kirk (R-IL)
    Rep. Ray LaHood (R-IL)
    Rep. Steve LaTourette (R-OH)
    Rep. Dan Lungren (R-CA)
    Rep. Cathy McMorris Rodgers (R-WA)
    Rep. Chip Pickering (R-MS)
    Rep. Jim Ramstad (R-MN)
    Rep. Rick Renzi (R-AZ)
    Rep. Ileana Ros-Lehtinen (R-FL), Ranking Member of House Foreign Affairs Committee
    Rep. John Shadegg (R-AZ)
    Rep. Christopher Shays (R-CT)
    Rep. John Shimkus (R-IL)
    Rep. Fred Upton (R-MI)
    Fmr. Rep. Steve Bartlett (R-TX)
    Fmr. Rep. Charlie Bass (R-NH)
    Fmr. Rep. Thomas Bliley (R-VA)
    Fmr. Rep. Jim Courter (R-NJ)
    Fmr. Rep. Joseph J. DioGuardi (R-NY)
    Fmr. Rep. Charles Douglas III (R-NH)
    Fmr. Rep. and Ambassador Fred J. Eckert (R-NY)
    Fmr. Rep. Louis Frey, Jr. (R-FL)
    Fmr. Rep. Greg Ganske (R-IA)
    Fmr. Rep. Barry Goldwater, Jr.
    Fmr. Rep. Van Hilleary (R-TN)
    Fmr. Rep. Jack Kemp (R-NY)
    Fmr. Rep. Jim Kolbe (R-AZ)
    Fmr. Rep. Steven Kuykendall (R-CA)
    Fmr. Rep. Tom Loeffler (R-TX)
    Fmr. Rep. Susan Molinari (R-NY)
    Fmr. Rep. Mark Neumann (R-WI)
    Fmr. Rep. Tim Penny (D-MN)
    Fmr. Rep. Frank Riggs (R-CA)
    Fmr. Rep. Joe Schwarz (R-MI)
    Fmr. Rep. Rob Simmons (R-CT)
    Fmr. Rep. Dick Zimmer (R-NJ)
    [edit] Governors
    Gov. Haley Barbour (R-MS)
    Gov. Matt Blunt (R-MO)
    Gov. Charlie Crist (R-FL)
    Gov. Mitch Daniels (R-IN)
    Gov. Jim Douglas (R-VT)
    Gov. John Hoeven (R-ND)
    Gov. Jon Huntsman, Jr. (R-UT)
    Gov. Bobby Jindal (R-LA)
    Gov. Linda Lingle (R-HI)
    Gov. Tim Pawlenty (R-MN), Chairman of the National Governors Association, National co-Chair of “McCain for President”
    Gov. Sonny Perdue (R-GA)
    Gov. Rick Perry (R-TX)
    Gov. Bob Riley (R-AL)
    Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger (R-CA)
    Fmr. Gov. Jeb Bush (R-FL),[1] brother to President George W. Bush, and son to former President George H.W. Bush
    Fmr. Gov. Paul Cellucci (R-MA), former U.S. Ambassador to Canada
    Fmr. Gov. Bill Clements (R-TX)
    Fmr. Gov. George Deukmejian (R-CA)
    Fmr. Gov. Donald DiFrancesco (R-NJ)
    Fmr. Gov. Winfield Dunn (R-TN)
    Fmr. Gov. Jim Edgar (R-IL)
    Fmr. Gov. Robert L. Ehrlich (R-MD)
    Fmr. Gov. Jim Gilmore (R-VA) Former 2008 presidential candidate
    Fmr. Gov. Mike Huckabee (R-AR), former 2008 presidential candidate
    Fmr. Gov. Thomas Kean (R-NJ), 9/11 Commission Co-Chair
    Fmr. Gov. Frank Keating (R-OK)
    Fmr. Gov. John McKernan (R-ME)
    Fmr. Gov. Bill Owens (R-CO)
    Fmr. Gov. Tom Ridge (R-PA), first Secretary of Homeland Security
    Fmr. Gov. Buddy Roemer (R-LA)
    Fmr. Gov. Mitt Romney (R-MA), former 2008 presidential candidate
    Fmr. Gov. Don Sundquist (R-TN)
    Fmr. Acting Gov. Jane Swift (R-MA)
    Fmr. Gov. James R. Thompson (R-IL)
    Fmr. Gov. Tommy Thompson (R-WI) former 2008 presidential candidate
    Military:
    Senator McCain has been endorsed by over 100 generals and admirals from the U.S. Army, Navy, Air Force, and Marine Corps, among them:
    Lieutenant General John B. Conaway, USAF (Ret.) – former Chief of the National Guard Bureau
    General James B. Davis, USAF (Ret.) – former Chief of Staff, Supreme Headquarters Allied Powers, Europe (NATO)
    Colonel George “Bud” Day, USAF (Ret.) – Medal of Honor recipient
    Rear Admiral Jeremiah Denton, USN (Ret.) – Navy Cross recipient
    Admiral S. Robert Foley, USN (Ret.) – former Commander-in-Chief, Pacific Fleet
    Admiral Ronald J. Hays, USN (Ret.) – former Commander-in-Chief, Pacific Command
    Admiral James L. Holloway III, USN (Ret.) – former Chief of Naval Operations
    Admiral Bobby Ray Inman, USN (Ret.) – former Director of the NSA
    Admiral Jerome L. Johnson, USN (Ret.) – former Vice Chief of Naval Operations
    General James L. Jones, USMC (Ret.) – former Commandant of the Marine Corps
    General P.X. Kelley, USMC (Ret.) – former Commandant of the Marine Corps
    Admiral Robert J. “Barney” Kelly, USN (Ret.) – former Commander-in-Chief, Pacific Fleet
    Admiral Frank Kelso, USN (Ret.) – former Chief of Naval Operations
    Admiral George “Gus” Kinnear, USN (Ret.) – former Commander of Air Force, Atlantic Fleet
    Admiral Charles R. “Chuck” Larson, USN (Ret.) – former Commander-in-Chief, Pacific Command
    Admiral Joseph Lopez, USN (Ret.) – former Commander-in-Chief, U.S. Naval Forces, Europe
    Captain Jim Lovell, USN (Ret.) – former NASA astronaut, commander of Apollo 13
    Admiral James “Ace” Lyons, USN (Ret.) – former Commander-in-Chief, Pacific Fleet
    Admiral Paul David Miller, USN (Ret.) – former Commander-in-Chief, Atlantic Fleet
    Rear Admiral Benjamin F. Montoya, USN (Ret.) – former Chief of Naval Civil Engineer Corps
    General Carl E. Mundy, Jr., USMC (Ret.) – former Commandant of the Marine Corps
    Vice Admiral John R. Ryan, USN (Ret.) – former Superintendent of the Naval Academy
    General H. Norman Schwarzkopf, USA (Ret.) – former Commander-in-Chief, Central Command
    Admiral Leighton W. Smith, Jr., USN (Ret.) – former Commander-in-Chief, U.S. Naval Forces, Europe
    Colonel Leo K. Thorsness, USAF (Ret.) – Medal of Honor recipient
    Lieutenant General James A. Williams, USA (Ret.) – former Director of the Defense Intelligence Agency
    Admiral Ronald J. Zlatoper, USN (Ret.) – former Commander-in-Chief, Pacific Fleet
    Mayors
    Tommy Joe Alexander of Irondale, Alabama
    Carlos Alvarez of Miami-Dade County
    Alan Autry of Fresno
    Greg Ballard of Indianapolis
    Rich Crotty of Orange County, Florida
    Richard J. Gerbounka of Linden, New Jersey (I-NJ)
    Rudy Giuliani, former mayor of New York City, former 2008 presidential candidate
    State, local, and territorial officials:
    Jeffrey L. Barnhart, Member of the North Carolina General Assembly.
    Peter Bragdon, State Senator in New Hampshire.
    Michael Downing, State Senator in New Hampshire.
    John Gallus, State Senator in New Hampshire.
    Ted Gatsas, State Senator in New Hampshire.
    Fletcher L. Hartsell, Jr., State Senator in North Carolina.
    Leonard Lance, former member of the New Jersey General Assembly and Congressional candidate.
    Steven Lukan, State Representative in Iowa.
    Mike May, State Representative in Iowa.
    Bob McDonnell, Virginia Attorney General
    Larry McKibben, State Senator in Iowa.
    Michelle McManus, State Senator in Michigan.
    John Pappageorge, State Senator in Michigan.
    John Putney, State Senator in Iowa.
    Randy Richardville, State Senator in Michigan.
    Fred Smith, State Senator in North Carolina.
    Pat Ward, State Senator in Iowa.
    Other political figures
    George Argyros, former United States Ambassador to Spain, billionaire, and former Major League Baseball owner
    Debra Bartoshevich (D), Fmr. Hillary Clinton Delegate
    John Rusling Block, former Secretary of Agriculture
    John R. Bolton, former Ambassador to the UN under President George W. Bush
    Otis R. Bowen, former Secretary of Health and Human Services[1] and former Indiana Governor
    James H. Burnley IV, former Secretary of Transportation
    Fmr. Ambassador Chuck Cobb
    Fmr. Ambassador Sue Cobb
    William Thaddeus Coleman, Jr., former Secretary of Transportation under President Gerald Ford
    Lawrence Eagleburger, former Secretary of State under President George H.W. Bush
    Barbara Hackman Franklin, former Secretary of Commerce under President George H.W. Bush
    Alexander Haig, former Secretary of State under President Ronald Reagan
    Henry Kissinger,[9] former National Security Advisor and Secretary of State under President Richard Nixon and President Gerald Ford.
    Ann McLaughlin Korologos former Secretary of Labor, DC
    Fmr. Ambassador Thomas Patrick Melady
    Fmr. Secretary of Commerce Robert Mosbacher
    Fmr. Secretary of Commerce Peter George Peterson
    Fmr. FCC chairman Michael Powell
    Anthony Principi, former Secretary of Veterans Affairs
    Nancy Reagan, wife of the late President Ronald Reagan and former First Lady of the United States
    Karl Rove, former political advisor to President Bush
    George Shultz, former Secretary of State under President Ronald Reagan
    James R. Schlesinger, former Secretary of Defense under President Richard Nixon and President Gerald Ford
    R. James Woolsey, Jr., former CIA Director under President Bill Clinton.
    National figures:
    Francis J. Beckwith, director of the J.M. Dawson Institute of Church-State Studies and an associate professor of Church-State studies at Baylor University
    Robert Gleason, Chairman of the Republican Party of Pennsylvania
    John C. Hagee, founder and senior pastor of the evangelical mega-church Cornerstone Church in San Antonio, Texas
    Fmr. Treasurer of the United States Rosario Marin (CA)
    Rod Parsley, televangelist and senior pastor of World Harvest Church in Columbus, Ohio[citation
    Newspapers:
    The Tampa Tribune newspaper in Tampa, Florida
    New Hampshire Union Leader newspaper in Manchester, New Hampshire
    Wheeling News Register newspaper in Wheeling, Virginia
    Times Record News newspaper in Wichita Falls, Texas
    Winchester Star newspaper in Winchester, Virginia
    Academics:
    Anne O. Krueger, Economist and former World Bank Chief Economist.
    Robert P. George, McCormick Professor of Jurisprudence at Princeton University.[83][84]
    Business People:
    Carly Fiorina, former CEO of Hewlett-Packard
    Steve Forbes,[86] magazine publisher, former GOP presidential candidate (1996, 2000)
    Deal W. Hudson, Conservative publisher.
    Tom Monaghan, Founder of Domino’s Pizza.
    Frederick W. Smith, Founder, chairman, president, and CEO of FedEx.
    Donald Trump, Chairman and CEO of the Trump Organization
    Robert Duvall, actor
    Clint Eastwood, actor and director
    Erik Estrada, actor
    Joe Eszterhas, screenwriter
    Lou Ferrigno, actor and bodybuilder
    Kelsey Grammer, actor
    Lee Greenwood, musician, often performs “God Bless the USA” at McCain/Palin rallies[103]
    Angie Harmon, actress
    John Elway, Hall of Fame Denver Broncos quarterback
    Joe Gibbs, former Washington Redskins head coach and NASCAR team owner
    Roger Goodell, NFL Commissioner
    Mike Helton, NASCAR President
    Ken Kennedy, WWE wrestler
    Robert Kraft, New England Patriots owner
    Al Leiter, Former MLB Pitcher.
    Chuck Liddell, MMA fighter
    Organizations:
    National Rifle Association
    Republicans for Environmental Protection
    Reform Party of the United States of America
    Log Cabin Republicans
    Other people:
    Esperanza Aguirre, the conservative president of Madrid (equivalent to mayor)
    Morris J. Amitay, AIPAC.
    Charles Krauthammer, Conservative political pundit
    Michael Savage, radio host
    Phil Stuhl, Camden County, NJ Republican Committee

46. Strict Standards: Only variables should be assigned by reference in /home/jills/public_html/wp/wp-content/plugins/subscribe-to-comments/subscribe-to-comments.php on line 590
    Hal says:

I’m sure Obama gets more R’s than McCain gets D’s.
    I recognize that name Michael Savage. Maybe he’s “endorsed” McCain, but he doesn’t have many nice things to say about him.
    It’s also interesting the Log Cabin Republicans are on McCain’s side.
    Finally, I think your list leaves one out: Al-Qaeda Supporters Endorse McCain

47. Strict Standards: Only variables should be assigned by reference in /home/jills/public_html/wp/wp-content/plugins/subscribe-to-comments/subscribe-to-comments.php on line 590
    Doug says:

reporting on the deaths of born babies, sometimes calling them fetuses as well
    Okay, that is pretty crazy, there.

48. Strict Standards: Only variables should be assigned by reference in /home/jills/public_html/wp/wp-content/plugins/subscribe-to-comments/subscribe-to-comments.php on line 590
    Doug says:

Chuck Liddell, MMA fighter
    :: laughing ::
    Right on, HisMan – I love that stuff.

49. Strict Standards: Only variables should be assigned by reference in /home/jills/public_html/wp/wp-content/plugins/subscribe-to-comments/subscribe-to-comments.php on line 590
    Joanne says:

Call Russ Stanton, the LA Times Editor and leave him a message: (213) 237-7000
    Posted by: HisMan at October 28, 2008 5:47 PM
    What tape are you referring to?

50. Strict Standards: Only variables should be assigned by reference in /home/jills/public_html/wp/wp-content/plugins/subscribe-to-comments/subscribe-to-comments.php on line 590
    Patricia says:

Finally, I think your list leaves one out: Al-Qaeda Supporters Endorse McCain
    Posted by: Hal at October 28, 2008 7:12 PM
    yeah, cuz they wanna get the hell bombed out of them! Right!

51. Strict Standards: Only variables should be assigned by reference in /home/jills/public_html/wp/wp-content/plugins/subscribe-to-comments/subscribe-to-comments.php on line 590
    Hal says:

I think their rationale was McCain would continue Bush’s failed foreign policy blunders and thus continue to contribute to Al-Qaeda’s recruitment goals.

52. Strict Standards: Only variables should be assigned by reference in /home/jills/public_html/wp/wp-content/plugins/subscribe-to-comments/subscribe-to-comments.php on line 590
    HisMan says:

Hal:
    You really try to be a nice guy, of course for ulterior motives, but, in your many, many sarcastic posts, you reveal who you truly are.
    I know an “other” whose modus operandi you copy to a tee.
    You don’t fool me for a nanosecond for I know from what spirit you speak.

53. Strict Standards: Only variables should be assigned by reference in /home/jills/public_html/wp/wp-content/plugins/subscribe-to-comments/subscribe-to-comments.php on line 590
    Patricia says:

A mother is the most important person on earth. She cannot claim the honor of having built Notre Dame Cathedral. She need not. She has built something more magnificent than any Cathedral — a dwelling for an immortal soul, the tiny perfection of her baby’s body. — Joseph Cardinal Mindszenty

54. Strict Standards: Only variables should be assigned by reference in /home/jills/public_html/wp/wp-content/plugins/subscribe-to-comments/subscribe-to-comments.php on line 590
    Roman says:

I know an “other” whose modus operandi you copy to a tee.
    You don’t fool me for a nanosecond for I know from what spirit you speak.
    Posted by: HisMan at October 28, 2008 8:36 PM
    It is a pity that some children get indoctrinated with this kind of stuff.
    And a pity that some people don’t grow out of it when they get older.

55. Strict Standards: Only variables should be assigned by reference in /home/jills/public_html/wp/wp-content/plugins/subscribe-to-comments/subscribe-to-comments.php on line 590
    Douglas Johnson says:

I have written articles criticizing the press for using the term “fetus” when it is not properly applied (e.g., after a live birth), and/or when it is done to de-humanize the baby. In this case, however, there is a more prosaic explanation. When writing headlines for a printed newspaper, the headline must fit closely within pre-determined column widths. Therefore, headline writers for print newspapers sometimes use the word that fits the space, even if it is not the most precise word. “Unborn child” just would not have fit the column width in this case, along with everything else that had to be in that headline. Whoever wrote the headline for the website edition was under no such constraint.

56. Strict Standards: Only variables should be assigned by reference in /home/jills/public_html/wp/wp-content/plugins/subscribe-to-comments/subscribe-to-comments.php on line 590
    HisMan says:

DJ:
    Lame, lame, lame.

57. Strict Standards: Only variables should be assigned by reference in /home/jills/public_html/wp/wp-content/plugins/subscribe-to-comments/subscribe-to-comments.php on line 590
    Jasper says:

Hey Douglas,
    Are you saying the newspaper can’t use different font sizes?

58. Strict Standards: Only variables should be assigned by reference in /home/jills/public_html/wp/wp-content/plugins/subscribe-to-comments/subscribe-to-comments.php on line 590
    HisMan says:

OK Roman:
    YOu mean Hal ISN’T Harry Potter? I’m devastated.
    Speak oh wise one full of all wisdom and mercy.
    I bessech thee to grant me what thine has discovered about the secrets of the Universe.
    Let me guess. There is no God, evolution is a fact, and you consider yourself to be a genius because of all the inordinate praise and worship you got from your gloating liberal parents. Am I close?
    Another boring and predictable, lifeless, death worshipping atheist joins the fray…..ho, hum.

59. Strict Standards: Only variables should be assigned by reference in /home/jills/public_html/wp/wp-content/plugins/subscribe-to-comments/subscribe-to-comments.php on line 590
    HisMan says:

Jasper:
    No, Douglas is just another sematicontortionist.
    You know, “pro-choice”, “I was fur it befur I was agin’ it”, “bodily autonomy”, “reproductive rights”, “everyone will get a tax cut except….”, “Barack Obama”; the ulimate contradiction in terms…….and now, “font choice”. It is beyond absurd.
    What else do Libs have to look forward to? I mean this is all there is to most Libs…so, so sad.

60. Strict Standards: Only variables should be assigned by reference in /home/jills/public_html/wp/wp-content/plugins/subscribe-to-comments/subscribe-to-comments.php on line 590
    yllas says:

Posted by: Hal at October 28, 2008 8:28 PM
    It’s ignorance and being a coward that assumes that killing your enemy creates more recruits.
    AQ is detested around the world for atrocities and terroristic acts against their own Muslim brothers and sisters, idiot Hal.
    AQI is in need of recruits so bad, that they now use mentally retarded Muslim female children to murder fellow Muslims in Iraq by suicide bombing.
    AQI in Iraq was defeated in Western Iraq from being the most oppresive and murderous Muslims ever known in modern times towards other Muslims.
    The turning point in the war by AQI on Iraqi citizens was when the puritannical, fundamentalist AQI, banned and killed fellow Muslims for smoking cigarettes.
    AQI murdered a popular Sheik in Western Iraq, since he ignored their cigarette ban, and that is when the citizens of Anbar province began turning in the thugs of Allah in mass.
    Your a tool of defeatest propaganda, and a coward, Hal.
    On the other hand, if the fundy Muslims can get some sharia law going in the USA, then one can watch Hal fight for the rational right to murder the creation of Allah in the womb. Which might mean, Hal might be blown up by a fundy Muslim, having the right to blow up Hal by some fatwa issued by the authority of Allah,peace be upon his name.
    But, until then, your just another cowardly killer of Allah’s creation, hiding behind the Armed Forces, who are killing the fundy Muslims
    over there, before they kill more over here.

61. Strict Standards: Only variables should be assigned by reference in /home/jills/public_html/wp/wp-content/plugins/subscribe-to-comments/subscribe-to-comments.php on line 590
    Rae says:

HisMan, you are *so* right. I have been so mislead by evil, satanic liberals all this time. There IS a God, and He is most Holy. I renounce my wicked, God-hating, sinful ways and give myself over 100% to Christ our Saviour!

62. Strict Standards: Only variables should be assigned by reference in /home/jills/public_html/wp/wp-content/plugins/subscribe-to-comments/subscribe-to-comments.php on line 590
    Patricia says:

Posted by: Douglas Johnson at October 28, 2008 10:16 PM
    if you think I believe this nonsense you are a sorry sorry man Douglas
    methinks political correctness is the real reason…

63. Strict Standards: Only variables should be assigned by reference in /home/jills/public_html/wp/wp-content/plugins/subscribe-to-comments/subscribe-to-comments.php on line 590
    Carla says:

HisMan,
    Congratulations on the new baby your son and daughter in law are expecting!! That is wonderful news!!

64. Strict Standards: Only variables should be assigned by reference in /home/jills/public_html/wp/wp-content/plugins/subscribe-to-comments/subscribe-to-comments.php on line 590
    Hal says:

yllas, we can thank the Lord you have no influence on public policy. You sound worse than Bush, and I didn’t think that was possible.

65. Strict Standards: Only variables should be assigned by reference in /home/jills/public_html/wp/wp-content/plugins/subscribe-to-comments/subscribe-to-comments.php on line 590
    HisMan says:

Rae:
    It’s not that all Liberals are God-hating sinners, rather it’s that most God-hating sinners are Liberals.
    And those Liberals that are pro-aborts and pro-homosexaul lifetstyle but at the same time profess Christ, are simply in error.
    Thanks for the sarcasm though. It’s always a breath of fresh air and very, vey illuminating.
    Carla:
    Thanks.

66. Strict Standards: Only variables should be assigned by reference in /home/jills/public_html/wp/wp-content/plugins/subscribe-to-comments/subscribe-to-comments.php on line 590
    Rae says:

HisMan- why do you feel that I am being sarcastic? I’m being ever so serious, I want to thank you for illuminating the the pathway to righteousness and goodness, so that I can take the first baby steps to a closer, more personal relationship with our Lord Jesus Christ.

67. Strict Standards: Only variables should be assigned by reference in /home/jills/public_html/wp/wp-content/plugins/subscribe-to-comments/subscribe-to-comments.php on line 590
    HumanAbstract says:

Fun fact about newspapers: they follow AP style. AP style dictates, I believe, that either fetus or unborn baby is correct in this case. Pro-abortion or anti-abortion are technically the terms for the political positions. In this case, both editors are correct.

68. Strict Standards: Only variables should be assigned by reference in /home/jills/public_html/wp/wp-content/plugins/subscribe-to-comments/subscribe-to-comments.php on line 590
    Douglas Johnson says:

HumanAbstract wrote: “Also, scanning the newspaper and putting it on your blog is a violation of copyright.”
    In my personal opinion (this is not legal advice), display of the images of two articles for purposes of a discussion about purported media bias is clearly an example of “fair use” and not a violation of copyright. There is a fairly lengthy discussion of “fair use” doctrine here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fair_use
    None of those who postulate that the Tennessean used the term “fetus” in the print edition because of ideological bias, have offered any persuasive theory about why that bias would be negated or reversed for the website edition. For those old enough to have experience in the art of writing headlines within the constraints imposed by print-newspaper formats, there is no need to look for an ideological explanation for the variants in the headline.

69. Strict Standards: Only variables should be assigned by reference in /home/jills/public_html/wp/wp-content/plugins/subscribe-to-comments/subscribe-to-comments.php on line 590
    HumanAbstract says:

Yeah, fetus is shorter, and thus easier to use in a headline. I think the case could be made that it is fair use. Jill, however, has used AP photographs extensively in previous posts, which is not covered under fair use, I don’t believe.

70. Strict Standards: Only variables should be assigned by reference in /home/jills/public_html/wp/wp-content/plugins/subscribe-to-comments/subscribe-to-comments.php on line 590
    Carla says:

Fetus
    Baby
    Child
    All pretty short words aren’t they?

71. Strict Standards: Only variables should be assigned by reference in /home/jills/public_html/wp/wp-content/plugins/subscribe-to-comments/subscribe-to-comments.php on line 590
    yllas says:

Posted by: Hal at October 29, 2008 11:22 AM
    Good to see you didn’t deny your a coward hiding behind the Armed Forces of the USA who are over there, killing them before they kill more over here in the USA.
    Good to see you don’t deny that AQ is killing more Muslims then our Forces in Iraq.
    Good to see, you didn’t deny, that AQI is unable to recruit more cowards to kill other Muslims in Iraq.
    They hit bottom when they used a female, mentally retarded Muslim to murder other Muslims.
    Good to see you are trying to get over that homophobia you admited to when given a chance to love a man on that island, and you wouldn’t.
    That you now admit you would swallow your prideful homophobia and not deny the love of the same sex today, is a improvement of your homophobia.
    But, what is most entertaining is your now a self admited homosexual, hiding your homosexuality to your wife and children?, and admiting your homosexual tendencies to all those that read these post at this board.

72. Strict Standards: Only variables should be assigned by reference in /home/jills/public_html/wp/wp-content/plugins/subscribe-to-comments/subscribe-to-comments.php on line 590
    Hal says:

yep, I’ve licked my homophobia.
    But I don’t see how I’ve become homosexual. I haven’t hit the island yet and had a chance. Can’t I be bi?

73. Strict Standards: Only variables should be assigned by reference in /home/jills/public_html/wp/wp-content/plugins/subscribe-to-comments/subscribe-to-comments.php on line 590
    yllas says:

Why cowardly Hal,
    You went on a cruise, and were given a choice between yourself and a male trapped on the island with you, and you denied that young male sexual satisfaction.
    You chose yourself(pro-aborts always do), and exposed your homophobia for all to see on this board.
    The next time I asked you about your homophobia, you admitted you would have sex with a male to prove you weren’t a homophobe.
    Now, according to authoritative homosexuals, one is born a homosexual, and anyone who thinks they are bi-sexual, are really fearing their being born as a homosexual. Hence, they are actually homophobes, acting and denying their full and honest homosexuality.
    But, let’s give you credit that being a bi-
    sexual, is a step towards being released from your homophobia, which stops you from being a honest person about yourself in matters sexual.
    But, anyway, let’s review the age of that boy you were trapped with on that island, and now admit, you would sod—– to prove your not a homophobe.
    Please check one;
    12 years
    13 years
    14 years
    15 years
    16 years

74. Strict Standards: Only variables should be assigned by reference in /home/jills/public_html/wp/wp-content/plugins/subscribe-to-comments/subscribe-to-comments.php on line 590
    Bethany says:

Hal, I tried sending you an email today but it came back undeliverable. Would you mind sending me an email? Mine is on the sidebar.

75. Strict Standards: Only variables should be assigned by reference in /home/jills/public_html/wp/wp-content/plugins/subscribe-to-comments/subscribe-to-comments.php on line 590
    hal says:

Bethany, I sent you an email.
    yllas, I’m not going to have sex with a minor to “prove” anything to you.
    You are a very strange person.

76. Strict Standards: Only variables should be assigned by reference in /home/jills/public_html/wp/wp-content/plugins/subscribe-to-comments/subscribe-to-comments.php on line 590
    Sierra says:

I would like to respond to this post:
    “Actually, isn’t Planned Parenthood currently trying to sway the public on what the word ‘conception’ means if i remember right. Not fertilization anymore? If one were to read up on morning after pills (newspaper, magazine, whatever), I’ll bet you’d see some lingo games”
    Posted by: Alex at October 28, 2008 11:44 AM
    Planned Parenthood is not trying to sway the public on what the word conception means. You do not remember right. Planned Parenthood does not seek to define medical terms in political terms; rather, Planned Parenthood continues to use medical terms in medical ways. While Planned Parenthood is active in protecting the basic rights and equality of women, it does so effectively by using proper medical and legal terminology.
    Instead, it was the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists that defined the difference between fertilization, and implantation. The article was written by the New York Times (not Planned Parenthood), and the bit that you are thinking about is:
    “In some cases, however, depending on where a woman is in her cycle, it may stop an already fertilized egg from attaching to the uterine wall. In such a situation, for those who believe that life — and thus also pregnancy — begins at the moment of fertilization, it would indeed function as an abortifacient. According to the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists, however, pregnancy begins not at fertilization but at implantation. The medical thinking behind this definition has to do with the fact that implantation is the moment when a woman’s body begins to nurture the fertilized egg. The roughly one-half of all fertilized eggs that never attach to a uterine wall are thus not generally considered to be tiny humans — ensouled beings — that died but rather fertilized eggs that did not turn into pregnancies. Federal regulations enacted during the Bush administration agree with this, stating, “Pregnancy encompasses the period of time from implantation until delivery.”
    The full text can be found here:
    Since I have no doubt that you do not understand most of that New York Times tidbit, I’ll lay it out on you:
    Once a woman hits puberty, her reproductive systems begin a process called the menstrual cycle. This cycle begins with the follicular phase, in which the lining of the woman’s uterus thickens; then, in the luteal phase, a follicle in the woman’s ovary releases an ovum, which travels the fallopian tube into the uterus. It is during this phase that the ovum is able to be fertilized; if it is fertilized, it is able to attach to the uterus’ lining, and this is called implantation. If no fertilized egg attaches to the lining of the uterus, the menstruation occurs – this is what people like you call her “period.” However, if no fertilized egg attached to the lining of the uterus, that is not to say that no egg was rather fertilized – it just didn’t implant itself before menstruation occurred.
    I happen to be read-up on the Plan B Medication (which you, and the conservative media have dubbed the “morning after pill”), and I don’t see how any “lingo games” can be played. I can, however, see how those who do not understand the terminology that they are using (such as yourself, Alex) can feel that there is a lingo game, when instead, the game that they perceive is really their own ignorance about a subject.

77. Strict Standards: Only variables should be assigned by reference in /home/jills/public_html/wp/wp-content/plugins/subscribe-to-comments/subscribe-to-comments.php on line 590
    HumanAbstract says:

Yeah, but it isn’t a baby or a child: it was yet unborn, and thus the modifier ‘unborn’ would need to be added. That would make it excessively long, and headline writing is a chore anyway.
    Also, for some reason, I can’t post or access the blog from home. Have I been mysteriously banned ?

78. Strict Standards: Only variables should be assigned by reference in /home/jills/public_html/wp/wp-content/plugins/subscribe-to-comments/subscribe-to-comments.php on line 590
    HumanAbstract says:

Actually, Jasper, newspapers can’t use different font sizes. We have standardized fonts that are required with headline writing; to use others would ruin the standardization of the paper. Having been the one making up headlines at midnight on a Saturday, I can tell you there’s no political bias: it’s based solely on what will get it done fastest.

79. Strict Standards: Only variables should be assigned by reference in /home/jills/public_html/wp/wp-content/plugins/subscribe-to-comments/subscribe-to-comments.php on line 590
    Alex says:

Good argument.

80. Strict Standards: Only variables should be assigned by reference in /home/jills/public_html/wp/wp-content/plugins/subscribe-to-comments/subscribe-to-comments.php on line 590
    hippie says:

Posted by: HumanAbstract at October 30, 2008 2:31 PM
    It would be faster and save space to refer to an accident victim as ‘it’ instead of ‘he’ or ‘she’ even though everyone has gender.
    Have you ever used ‘it’ for anyone else?
    A baby is ‘he’ or ‘she’ not ‘it’.

81. Strict Standards: Only variables should be assigned by reference in /home/jills/public_html/wp/wp-content/plugins/subscribe-to-comments/subscribe-to-comments.php on line 590
    HumanAbstract says:

Actually, names for children aren’t generally released, and in those cases, we continuously say “the child” or “the infant.” It isn’t used, but it’s the same principle.

82. Strict Standards: Only variables should be assigned by reference in /home/jills/public_html/wp/wp-content/plugins/subscribe-to-comments/subscribe-to-comments.php on line 590
    Heather says:

“yllas, we can thank the Lord you have no influence on public policy.”
    AMEN!!!!!
    ********
    “yllas, I’m not going to have sex with a minor to “prove” anything to you.”
    “You are a very strange person.”
    Posted by: hal at October 30, 2008 12:48 PM