Correcting the record: Abortions went down under President Bush, not up

During last night’s “discussion” between pro-life/pro-Obama Prof. Doug Kmiec and pro-life/anti-Obama Prof. Robert George, Kmiec repeated a false statement.
Kmiec said the number of abortions went UP under President George W. Bush. On Fox News Sunday May 17 Fr. Richard McBrien, a pro-Obama Notre Dame theology professor, made the same erroneous claim in a debate with Fr. Frank Pavone of Priests for Life.
President Bush with child.jpgMy friend, Professor (and statistical analyzer) Michael New, wants to correct the record:

The data do not bear this out. In fact the most recent data from both the Centers for Disease Control and the Alan Guttmacher Institute (research arm of Planned Parenthood) indicate that abortions fell during George W. Bush’s presidency.

According to the Alan Guttmacher Institute between 2000 and 2005 the number of abortions declined from 1,312,990 to 1,206,200 (a decline of 8.1%, data obtained from all 50 states)….

According to the Alan Guttmacher Institute the abortion rate (abortions per thousand women between 15 and 44) between 2000 and 2005 declined from 21.3 to 19.4.

According to the Centers for Disease Control between 2000 and 2005 the number of abortions declined from 842,553 to 818,196 (a decline of 2.9% for the 46 states reporting data both years).

According to the Centers for Disease Control the abortion rate (abortions per thousand women between 15 and 44) between 2000 and 2005 declined from 16 to 15.

Note: CA and a few other states do not report data to the CDC which is why their numbers are lower.

Under no metric does the incidence of abortion increase during the Presidency of George W. Bush.

38 thoughts on “Correcting the record: Abortions went down under President Bush, not up”

1. Same here Carla. And while even one abortion is too many, this should hopefully debunk the pro aborts myth that abortions went up under a pro life President.

2. I am so glad my son left the Air Force.
    From the Family Research Council….
    “According to the Washington Post, tonight marks the beginning of a new offensive in Iraq: the homosexual invasion. At the U.S. Embassy in Baghdad, government employees are gearing up for their first-ever gay pride theme party. “Come celebrate the start of summer…in costume,” reads the invite. “Dress in DRAG or as a GAY ICON. Prizes will be awarded.”
    In the last several months, President Obama has been a harsh critic of his predecessor’s approach to Middle Eastern policy. Is this his idea of “getting back to diplomacy”? Now maybe the Embassy staff needs a way to chill, but surely they can think of something less insulting than a toast to debauchery in the middle of an Islamic war zone. For an administration bent on promoting tolerance and diversity, this smacks of cultural ignorance. If the Muslim community finds an unveiled woman distasteful, how will they react to this vulgar display? Although it is certain to bring harm to our credibility in the region, the real risk is a loss of U.S. lives. This type of provocation could pose a grave threat to Americans on Iraqi soil, many of whom could be a target of Baghdad’s outrage.
    And speaking of inviting contempt on the Embassy, U.S. taxpayers will surely have something to say about this. Although a spokesman said that the drag contest was “sponsored by a group of employees” who are just using the facility’s bar, the invitation was distributed over an official government wire, meaning that taxpayer resources were used in its promotion.
    Of course the irony of all this is that while these employees are planning a night of gaiety, CNN is reporting that the U.S. military is burning hundreds of Bibles sent to our soldiers because they might offend Muslims. In other words, it’s not acceptable to own a New Testament in Afghanistan, but letting our Embassy workers cross-dress in the middle of an Islamic capital is? Four days removed from Memorial Day, this party sends an incredibly insensitive message to our troops who gave the ultimate sacrifice. The brave men and women of the United States who lost their lives in Iraq and Afghanistan did so to bring about a revival of freedom in the Middle East — not a celebration of sexual decadence.”

3. It would be interesting to see the racial breakdown of those abortion numbers.
    We are all familiar with the stock headline:
    Big Disaster: Women and Minorities Hardest Hit
    In the case of abortion, it couldn’t be more true.

4. Maybe the gay parade in Iraq is a followup to Obama’s comment that the US is not a Christian nation.
    This seems like a State Dept. faux pas with pretty serious potential in the Arab press.

5. It is not a surprise that the left has once again fudged the numbers. If they cannot make the facts work to their advantage, they simply make some up.

6. Lt. Dan Choi I am sure, has gay pride. OR must we all promote and celebrate things we disagree with? I guess so.
    Not to worry, Emma speaking out against homosexuality will soon become illegal. Yeah. That will shut us up.

7. Well I think you should be able to say your religion tells you homosexuality is wrong. That shouldn’t be illegal nor will it ever be. But you shouldn’t be able to fire someone because they are gay. Especially a brave and respected officer who fought for our country.
    Posted by: Emma at May 29, 2009 5:06 PM
    The safety of the other military come first.
    Emma. Your statement is not honest. Many countries are looking at being over run by Muslims. If you were honest, you would admit homosexuality is not legal for muslims and when they take a country, it is illegal from day one. No discussions.
    When Us Chriistians leave, you will see the Muslims don’t need to worry about a risk of being outnumbered. What do you think that one world religion and gubment will look like for you?

8. I cringe when I think about the so called pro-lifers that I know who voted for Obama in spite of his pro-abortion stance because abortion numbers were going down under Bush.
    That strategy seems to be working out real well. ;(

9. Xxpc, I don’t really care what the major religion here is so long as we have separation of church and state. I don’t want Muslim teachings dictate how I have to live just as I don’t want catholic, Protestant, baptist or any religion to
    Posted by: Emma at May 29, 2009 5:51 PM
    ———————————
    Emma:
    Your degree of ignorance is poignantly demonstrated by a president who you support and whose policies will result in the very thing you fear, Muslim domination.
    I am in absolute stitches.

10. it’s hard to believe Doug Kmiec and Fr. Obrien are christians, they are doing the devils work.

11. Xxpc, I don’t really care what the major religion here is so long as we have separation of church and state. I don’t want Muslim teachings dictate how I have to live just as I don’t want catholic, Protestant, baptist or any religion to
    Posted by: Emma at May 29, 2009 5:51 PM
    yes that’s fine Emma, but secular humanism is also a religion of sorts.
    It has it’s own values and moral code. So don’t expect me, a Catholic to be dictated by YOUR moral code.
    Unfortunately what you are trying to impose on society is unworkable because someone’s values will always be the basis for our laws and policies, whether they be Christian, Muslim, or secular.

12. “I don’t think we should be trying to convert the afghans and I don’t think homosexuality is wrong.
    Posted by: Emma at May 29, 2009 8:43 PM”
    ________________________________
    Emma:
    God commands believers to go out into the world and preach the word to all, including Afghans. So, take that up with God if you so dare. Remember, He is a consuming fire but I’m sure He’ll listen.
    As far as homosexuality goes, it’s a lifestyle, not a casual sin. It is a sin that’s practiced and results in eternal death apart from forsaking it and repenting of it.
    Now, since you don’t believe in the God of the Bible, homosexuality is logically illogical. I mean, trying to plants seeds in a sewer just doesn’t work.

13. Emma:
    If you could just realize how heartbreaking your words are to God.
    He did not create human beings of the same sex to have sex. Your observations fail to realize that homosexuality is a result of our fallen nature, just like adultery, theivery, or any other sin is.
    Your persepctive is wrong and until you are born again you will never understand this.
    He waits…….

14. Do you believe with obama’s nomination to the United States supreme court, that the born alive infent protections act is in danger of being decleared unconstitutional Jill? Why or why not?

15. Carla, thanks! You’re Sweet! I think Jill shared a video of you sharing your story. I can’t seem to remember where it’s at.

16. Accidentally channel surfed to Oprah Winfrey.
    The show interviewed two women who left their husbands for each other. There’s no shame, there’s no sense that this is monumentally wrong. Oprah is an absolute reprobate.
    Beam me up, Jesus, please.

17. If I were president I would implement a policy of mandatory two hour education programs including videos of abortion and pictures of ultrasounds at different gestational periods of human developement. This common ground approach that does not make abortion illegal or violate the sensibilities of the “personhood” crowd so it should be a welcome practice by all who seek to reduce the number of abortions.

18. TS,
    Excellent! I think EDUCATION is key!! Slide after slide of 3D and 4D ultrasounds…the truth speaks for itself.

19. If I were president I would implement a policy of mandatory two hour education programs including videos of abortion and pictures of ultrasounds at different gestational periods of human developement. This common ground approach that does not make abortion illegal or violate the sensibilities of the “personhood” crowd so it should be a welcome practice by all who seek to reduce the number of abortions.
    Posted by: truthseeker at May 30, 2009 1:29 AM

20. “The President doesn’t have that power, or responsibility. I suppose he could “recommend” such a program.”
    LOL.
    * * * *
    TS @ 1:29,
    Brilliant.

21. Hal,
    Speaking of power, do you have any idea what Obama plans to do about the North Korean dictator continually giving him the finger?
    You’d think after watching Obama apologize to the world for our country, kiss the backsides of dictators, jeopardize our national security, and speak of ending nuclear armament, that the NK dictator would have only fear and respect for Obama.

22. Obama has everything under control. I don’t worry about anything anymore. Just place your trust in our Leader and relax and enjoy each day.

23. Hal,
    Spoken like a true disciple. However, if Obama has everything under control, why does the NK despot continue to fire his missles?
    Shouldn’t all these threats by Obama to take this to the United Nations make him shudder in his boots?

24. Hal, ok admit it. You’re really a conservative mole, right?
    Fess up.

25. I mean I don’t think anyone can say “Just place your trust in our Leader and relax and enjoy each day.” without being completely sarcastic.
    Fess up.
    Posted by: Lauren at May 30, 2009 2:08 PM
    I was being completely sarcastic. Any response I gave would be interpreted that way. So, I just translated to the way you’d hear it.

26. Obama has everything under control. I don’t worry about anything anymore. Just place your trust in our Leader and relax and enjoy each day.
    Posted by: Hal at May 30, 2009 1:15 PM———————lol!

27. Heather 8:36am
    Nothing should reassure us more than the sight of the world’s despots and madmen giving our president the finger.

28. Bush is pro-life with exceptions. He accepts the murder of some babies, not all. That was clearly evident in South Dakota. Bush, allied with NRTL to squash any chance of making child killing illegal statewide.
    While many consider the analysis of the numbers as some sort of victory, how can anyone celebrate 900,000 being babies ripped apart in the womb versus 1,000,000, for example?
    Oh, I get it. The 100,000 saved somehow erase the agony and suffering of the 900,000 violently murdered in their own mother’s womb.
    There is no choice, only convenience. Once you realize that the word choice was redefined to mean killing an innocent baby, you might begin to understand what God really meant by DO NOT MURDER.
    Paint this any way you want, babies were murdered on Bush’s watch.

29. Oh good grief – there were idiots and clowns at the head of some of the movements in South Dakota, and they got exactly what they deserved.
    Doug

30. 2Fear: >>what God really meant by DO NOT MURDER.
    Heh – it’s evident that you don’t know the meaning of that Commandment in the first place.

Comments are closed.